Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Which States Have Free Education? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which States Have Free Education? (3256 Views)

These States Have The Highest Number Of Rich Individuals. / Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister / Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which States Have Free Education? by Ikengawo: 7:31pm On Oct 24, 2010
So far i've heard of Enugu and Jos having free public education.
what about Rivers with all the new schools being built?
are there any others?
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by asha80(m): 7:37pm On Oct 24, 2010
i am actually more interested in the quality of the free education than just free education as the schools that are supposedly free are public schools
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by jason12345: 7:45pm On Oct 24, 2010
asha 80:

i am actually more interested in the quality of the free education than just free education as the schools that are supposedly free are public schools
gbam!!!
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by vincent10(m): 8:20pm On Oct 24, 2010
Come 2 lagos.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by excanny: 8:31pm On Oct 24, 2010
asha 80:

You need to worry about having the free education first, before worrying about the quality of it.

Don't put the cart before the horse goes the old saying.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by asha80(m): 8:45pm On Oct 24, 2010
excanny:

You need to worry about having the free education first, before worrying about the quality of it.

Don't put the cart before the horse goes the old saying.

You are very wrong here my guy.Of what use is the free education if the quality is rubbish

Most parents will willingly pay for a better quality of education than a so called free one.

As for putting the cart before the horse in this scenario it is actually the other way round
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by excanny: 10:25pm On Oct 24, 2010
asha 80:

You are very wrong here my guy.Of what use is the free education if the quality is rubbish

Most parents will willingly pay for a better quality of education than a so called free one.

As for putting the cart before the horse in this scenario it is actually the other way round

Wrong.

Only a few parents can afford to pay for school fees. Take a trip down the SE and see many little chaps sitting at home as a result of being sent home by their teachers due to non-payment of tuition fees. If these ones have a chance to go to school without school fees, it will keep them on the right path where they can self-improve.

The free education that Chief Awolowo instituted in the former western Nigeria, how quality did you think it was? The kids went to school on bare feet, sometimes with no classrooms, and sat on the floor while studying. But look at the effect of that low quality free education today.

That was what prompted my earlier comment.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Oct 24, 2010
Education in Port is free and qualitative, am actually doing my thesis on that. Good Gov, great vision, focused
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by egift(m): 2:35am On Oct 25, 2010
Enugu State is doing just fine in this regards too. But quality should be well emphasized in our academic programmes
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:24am On Oct 25, 2010
As good a point you're making Excanny, I have to say that I agree in total with Asha. Free education should be qualified with Free Quality Education. Because the education is public education, it is expected to be free (at least, that would be my understanding), so the issue of freeness is of little to no consequence.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by slap1(m): 7:52am On Oct 25, 2010
There is free education in Abia State. Before that school fees were about N1,050 (N50 for bank commission) and you pay nothing else. Now that it's free, you pay for handwork, P.T.A, house dues, etc, for about N5,000. It's still free education, I think.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by TORDOO(m): 9:08am On Oct 25, 2010
Come to niger state,from primary to tertiary,is free,am a living witness,talba twice!!
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by lannre(m): 9:26am On Oct 25, 2010
TORDOO:

Come to niger state,from primary to tertiary,is free,am a living witness,talba twice!!

That should be a plus to the Nation if you are not been sarcastic.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by phantom(m): 9:48am On Oct 25, 2010
in rivers,its free with free uniforms and books.the state govt is even thinkin of giving them one meal in school.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by chiozor: 10:31am On Oct 25, 2010
slap1:

There is free education in Abia State. Before that school fees were about N1,050 (N50 for bank commission) and you pay nothing else. Now that it's free, you pay for handwork, P.T.A, house dues, etc, for about N5,000. It's still free education, I think.

lol@^^^ grin grin grin
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by excanny: 1:54pm On Oct 25, 2010
slap1:

There's no free education in Abia. It's just a sham.

Suprisingly, it's an oil-producing state. This is why i advocate public execution of corrupt politicians.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by Kobojunkie: 3:09pm On Oct 25, 2010
Public school Education is free in All of Nigeria. Not sure what the intent of this question is, and for @excanny, following your own posts, it is right to state that Education is free in Abia State, unless you are trying to argue that since it is not quality education, it is somehow not worth calling education.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by excanny: 3:53pm On Oct 25, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Public school Education is free in All of Nigeria. Not sure what the intent of this question is, and for @excanny, following your own posts, it is right to state that Education is free in Abia State, unless you are trying to argue that since it is not quality education, it is somehow not worth calling education.

I dont know which Abia you are talking about.

This is my state, i go home sometimes and i see little kids at home because they are asked to pay as much as N7000 per term in public schools. Is that free education?

Slap1 schools in Abia and he just confirmed what i learnt from those kids.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by Kobojunkie: 4:25pm On Oct 25, 2010
excanny:

I dont know which Abia you are talking about.

This is my state, i go home sometimes and i see little kids at home because they are asked to pay as much as N7000 per term in public schools. Is that free education?

Slap1 schools in Abia and he just confirmed what i learnt from those kids.

No, he didn't. He reiterated that Scdhools in Abia State are FREE. Note that the money being paid is not TUITION.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by excanny: 4:47pm On Oct 25, 2010
Kobojunkie:

No, he didn't. He reiterated that Scdhools in Abia State are FREE. Note that the money being paid is not TUITION.

I dont really care what it's called. Tuition, handwork, house dues, PTA or whatever. It all confirms what i said earlier. It is nothing but a FRAUD in the name of 'free' education.

What i want to see is all forms of payment abolished in public schools and their books and other necessities provided to them.

This will be in line with MDGs, if my guess is right.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by Kobojunkie: 4:50pm On Oct 25, 2010
excanny:

I dont really care what it's called. Tuition, handwork, house dues, PTA or whatever. It all confirms what i said earlier. It is nothing but a FRAUD in the name of 'free' education.

What i want to see is all forms of payment abolished in public schools and their books and other necessities provided to them.

This will be in line with MDGs, if my guess is right.

uum . . . OK!

By the way, the set up is similar in most all states in the country. While I was a student in the public system in Nigeria, I experienced the very same. However, if you want all form of fees completely abolished(something that does not even happen here in all public schools), may I ask if you are going to help pay for this new scheme of yours?
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by Ikengawo: 4:55pm On Oct 25, 2010
no body should act like Abia is a scam. Here in america you pay for school indirectly too its just Nigeria doesn't have an advanced tax system, but there's no difference.

i dont know why everyone is talking about quality or trying to find out my intent in asking. I just want answers that's all.

so far

Abia
Enugu
Rivers
Lagos
Niger

have free education.
Someone said everyone in nigeria has free education but i know as a fact Imo doesn't so that's a lie.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by excanny: 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2010
lol.

Well, i'm not the government. Such kinds of projects can only be carried out more successfully by the politicians. In the absence of corruption, that shouldn't be a big deal.

As an individual, i can only do little. Some of what i have in the pipeline is like having an NGO, a scholarship foundation or some other forms of public awareness.

I'm just a social critic.
Kobojunkie:

uum . . . OK!

By the way, the set up is similar in most all states in the country. While I was a student in the public system in Nigeria, I experienced the very same. However, if you want all form of fees completely abolished(something that does not even happen here in all public schools), may I ask if you are going to help pay for this new scheme of yours?
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 25, 2010
Fayemi, better stop with his free education chants for now. Build our road and fix our state as we asked.

How different are the regions with free education to regions without it?

Someone mentioned that Imo state does not have a free education system, yet it can boast of high JAMB applicants. . . . so . . .

I believe that parents would be more forceful with  their children to be MORE serious with their education if the money comes out of their pocket.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by EzeUche0(m): 5:22pm On Oct 25, 2010
Abia would fall under this category. This is at least one good thing that occurs in the state. Young lads just need to have a uniform.

I remember when I was spending time in my village and see the little children in their uniform heading to school. It was a wondrous sight. Brought tears to my eyes.

Older brothers leading their younger siblings to school. Sometimes I miss village life. So simple.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by asha80(m): 5:26pm On Oct 25, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Fayemi, better stop with his free education chants for now. Build our road and fix our state as we asked.

How different are the regions with free education to regions without it?

Someone mentioned that Imo state does not have a free education system, yet it can boast of high JAMB applicants. . . . so . . .

I believe that parents would be more forceful with their children to be MORE serious with their education if the money comes out of their pocket.

yorubas that enjoyed free education under awolowo might disagree with you

personally though i do not believe in free education because of personal reasons.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 25, 2010
asha 80:

yorubas that enjoyed free education under awolowo might disagree with you

personally though i do not believe in free education because of personal reasons.
Are you saying that Yoruba parents weren't forceful? And put in mind I said "MORE FORCEFUL".

What are the personal reasons?

And is someone going to answer this question?;
HOW ARE TODAY'S REGION WITH FREE EDUCATION ANY MORE DIFFERENT WITH ONES WITHOUT IT?
Does the quality differ?
Does it produce more students in school?
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by Kobojunkie: 5:29pm On Oct 25, 2010
Ikengawo:

no body should act like Abia is a scam. Here in america you pay for school indirectly too its just Nigeria doesn't have an advanced tax system, but there's no difference.

i dont know why everyone is talking about quality or trying to find out my intent in asking. I just want answers that's all.

so far

Abia
Enugu
Rivers
Lagos
Niger

have free education.
Someone said everyone in nigeria has free education but i know as a fact Imo doesn't so that's a lie.

Education remains free in many of IMo States Public schools
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by asha80(m): 5:40pm On Oct 25, 2010
I think we have to define what free is here.

When someone says free what i have in mind is no amount of money is paid by the student for anything whether tuitition,for uniform,pta,for books etc.

Ileke-IdI:

Are you saying that Yoruba parents weren't forceful? And put in mind I said "MORE FORCEFUL".

What are the personal reasons?

And is someone going to answer this question?;
HOW ARE TODAY'S REGION WITH FREE EDUCATION ANY MORE DIFFERENT WITH ONES WITHOUT IT?
Does the quality differ?
Does it produce more students in school?

yea parents might be more forceful if money is coming out of their pocket.

i do not believe in free education when no money is paid by the parents in any way.i believe in subsidized education where cost of getting primary and secondary school is cheaper than otherwise it would have been( the purchasing power of the area has to be taken into cognisance)

Maybe it is me but i feel anything free is not is likely not to be taken seriously.

Also like you said the parents might be more forceful or demanding of their kids perfomances.

Kobojunkie:

Education remains free in many of IMo States Public schools

I went to school in imo in the eightes and ninthies and schools were not free.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Oct 25, 2010
asha 80:

yea parents might be more forceful if money is coming out of their pocket.

i do not believe in free education when no money is paid by the parents in any way[b].i believe in subsidized education where cost of getting primary and secondary school is cheaper than otherwise it would have been[/b]( the purchasing power of the area has to be taken into cognisance)

Maybe it is me but i feel anything free is not is likely not to be taken seriously.

Also like you said the parents might be more forceful or demanding of their kids perfomances.

True, I don't see the free education system working. . . .Where is the money going to come from?

When I went to primary school in Lagos, we had to pay for everything, my aunt was always on our case grin grin
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by Ikengawo: 6:04pm On Oct 25, 2010
I believe in free education because to maintain a democracy you need a populace with a MINIMAL degree of education or else it will fall apart.

This is why democracy works in the west, everyone has a minimal degree of free mandatory education.

there are ways an educated person behaves in comparison to an uneducated one and a country of uneducated ppl can't maintain democracy.
Re: Which States Have Free Education? by Kobojunkie: 6:14pm On Oct 25, 2010
asha 80:

I went to school in imo in the eightes and ninthies and schools were not free.

Well, it's a pity that PUBLIC school education was not free for you back then but it was for some of others.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saharareporters: Extradition Trial: James Ibori Appeal Judgement For Monday / A Grear Quote From A Great Man / Muslims Killed While Praying On Eid Day In Jos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.