Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,176 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. (13243 Views)

Oby & Pastor Chinedu Ezekwesili At Inauguration Thanksgiving (pictured) / Obasanjo, Abdulsalami Abubakar, Shonekan With Ipad At Inauguration (Photo) / Rochas Okorocha Declares Support For Jonathan Vow To Take Over From Him In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by kech(f): 8:59am On May 30, 2011
Rochas Ooooooo! I heard it was something else in Owerri! The gist was that, as Rochas was coming out he was crying and singing "There is something that makes me come into your presence, my Helper!" As he reached the podium, he declared, "As from today!, education in Imo State is free! Everybody screamed! The Imo people asked him about a lot of issues including if he was going to probe Ohakim, he said "No", that Ohakim will reap what he sowed. He quietly asked robbers and kidnappers to leave the state for their own good because Imo was going to be too hot for them. I 'm so proud to be from Imo right now. I pray God guides him to deliver on his promises. I agree with u Rochas, leave Ohakim and face your duty, let the EFCC deal with him. They said a lot of people were crying in the crowd. My friends who watched it on TV also cried. That man is truly inspirational.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by houvest: 9:09am On May 30, 2011
Quite touching.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by jumobi1(m): 10:19am On May 30, 2011
That free education till University is not a good idea. People are going to start moving to Imo for free University. People originally from Imo would move back. How does one prove to be an Imo resident? What's the criteria? Can the authenticity or IDs be verified?
It's too much. I don't support it.
He has to probe Ohakim if need be.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by manuch(m): 7:19pm On May 30, 2011
free education to university level is it realistic?
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by Nobody: 7:59pm On May 30, 2011
This is a pure lie.

He said education is free in Primary and Secondary level while school fees at University level will be minimal.

This is not far from what exists anyway, what will make the difference is whether the free education at secondary and primary level is to high standard.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by Sunofgod(m): 8:00pm On May 30, 2011
Is he paying for this out of his own pocket?

If he isn't then ITS NOT FREE - It will come at the expense of something else state funds could have been used for.

I dont think he has thought this one out.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by Chyz2: 8:04pm On May 30, 2011
[size=13pt]Okorocha declares free education in Imo[/size]

Published on 30 May 2011 with 5 comments   

EMMA OGU, Owerri

Education, job creation and security top priority list Governor Rochas Okororcha of Imo state announced yesterday to the cheering of enthusiastic crowd of Imo citizens shortly after being administered the oath of office with his deputy Chief Sir Jude Agbaso at Dan Anyiam stadium Owerri.

Immediate past Governor Ikedi Ohakim, his deputy Ada Okwuonu as well as Speaker of the State House of Assembly were however, conspicuously absent at the occasion graced by former governor Achike Udenwa, governor Peter Obi of Anambra State, Chief Victor Umeh, national chairman of All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA) governorship candidate of the party for the 2007 election Chief Martin Agbaso and other distinguished personalities.

Okorocha who arrived at the venue with his wife and six children took his oath of office at exactly 12 noon after the deputy governor Chief Agbaso was administered the oath by the Chief Judge, Justice Benjamin Njemanze.

Okorocha who burst into songs of praise after his swearing in declared the day a day of freedom, a day of emancipation and a day of restoration for Imo people saying democracy has really started in the state and never again shall an Iroko decides who governs Imo people but the people themselves.

"The May 5 supplementary election remains a great day in history. I see before me a great thing to happen. I know you expect much from me. You believe in me and you trust me. I will perform and I will not disappoint you. Your peace is my peace; your pain is my pain. Where you are, there I will be.

"Just few days ago the outgoing governor Ikedi Ohakim issued staff of office to over 160 traditional rulers. Appointment letters for his 10,000 thousand jobs were released to the beneficiaries within a week. Just few days ago he signed N18, 000 minimum wage for workers. Imo allocation stands at N2.2billion. Imo is not worthy to borrow from any bank because of over borrowing. Even on that I will perform. I will not give any excuse. I will deliver", he said.

Reeling out his priority areas, Okorocha declared free education and warned that any parents or guardian who refused to send his child or ward to school will face the law. He said he was prompted to declare free education out of his belief that the best that can be given to a child is education as a child without education is a futureless child.

He said Imo has a lot of security challenges and noted that peace has returned to the state since his election because there is a new spirit among the people to move forward. In this regard, he promised to tackle security to the fullest.

"I don’t believe in crime fighting but crime prevention. The criminals are all in our communities and my administration will create a black book for them. No criminal shall go unpunished as far as this administration is concerned", he said.

On the issue of job he said his government will do a lot to keep everybody busy. He said that he would rescue the few remaining industries in comatose position in the state. He warned civil servants in the state to be serious with their jobs noting that the era of truancy and coming late to work is gone with the old order.

He said: "Our civil servants must stand up and face the challenge. For every single worker, there is a corresponding person waiting to take over your seat if you don’t perform".

He advised unemployed young men and women in the state looking for jobs to be close to their God henceforth because his government will go to churches to collect list of such job lookers and this will ensure that those to be employed are spiritually certified.

Governor Okorocha did not ignore the health sector as he said that his government will review the issue of health with serious concern. He said he is worried by the issue of justice and fairness and therefore will appoint a special assistant in charge of that to ensure that innocent persons are not kept in prison custody because they have no big man to bail them.

He said: "No innocent person will be kept in police or prison custody anymore. At the same time, no criminal will go unpunished no matte his connection. I therefore warn the big men who are fond of issuing orders to Divisional Police Officers to release detained criminals stop it henceforth or they will replace such criminals in prison."

Assuring that his government will be grassroots based, Okorocha said his government will create fourth tier of government, Community Government and the seat of power, Douglas House is now in the communities.

He said he was not interested in probing his predecessor, but in auditing the accounts of the state. "This government is not interested in witch hunting anybody. What we are interested in is auditing the account of Imo state. I have no business looking backward".

He said of the immediate past governor: "Ohakim said his name is Ikiri. But since I won the election he is my brother. I have separated my brother from Ikiri. Ikiri has gone to the bush and my brother has gone back to Isiala Mbano. From today, Ohakim is no longer Ikiri but former governor.

http://www.champion.com.ng/displaycontent.asp?pid=7899
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by otokx(m): 8:06pm On May 30, 2011
Playing to the gallery will not do him much good; talk is cheap.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by otokx(m): 8:10pm On May 30, 2011
"spiritual certification" - nothing we shall not here in this our country
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by jason123: 8:13pm On May 30, 2011
This is a good development. BUT, I think up to free education up to primary school level is enough. I do not think the state can afford paying for students up to university level. However, subsidizing the fees will go a long way.

Once again, nice one Rochas.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by mecussey(m): 10:31am On May 31, 2011
He may beat Obama
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by aloyemeka1: 10:37am On May 31, 2011
The journalists are blowing this out of proportion. May be he needs to tell us his definition of free education.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by Ekpoma1: 10:50am On May 31, 2011
Talk is cheap. Even Adams Oshiomhole said more than this, but the reverse is the case. Na2day? Mtschewww!
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by DaDoctor: 10:51am On May 31, 2011
free education is free education and comes at just a little cost but the tuitions are paid for
I BENEFITTED FROM SAME HERE IN LAGOS STATE.

IT IS POSSIBLE IN IMO!! AFTERALL WHATS OUR POPULATION

ROCHAS WE KNOW!!!!
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by vinooh: 11:03am On May 31, 2011
Chyz*:

He said of the immediate past governor: "Ohakim said his name is Ikiri. But since I won the election he is my brother. I have separated my brother from Ikiri. Ikiri has gone to the bush and my brother has gone back to Isiala Mbano. From today, Ohakim is no longer Ikiri but former governor.
ooh my God
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by DaDoctor: 11:07am On May 31, 2011
ROCHAS IS NOT NEW TO FREE EDUCATIONING,

GO AND MONITOR THE ROCHAS FOUNDATION SCHOOLS , HAVING PRESENCE EVN IN THE NORTHERN STATES AND YOU WILL BELIEVE THAT HE CAN DO IT

ROCHAS WE KNOW!!!!!
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by CzarChris(m): 11:07am On May 31, 2011
It's not going to be easy, for Rochas, but I love his spirit. He should also look into the case of unemployment, establish a fertile ground for investors and adequate infrastructure for development. Imo shall rise again from the ashes.
smiley
But honestly I believe that Ochikanwata [ohakim] should be probed to deter other nefarious politicians angry angry
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by planetuzor(m): 11:22am On May 31, 2011
WAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL IMMOLITE I AM JUST HAPPY ABOUT THIS, DANCING DANCING
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by rhymz(m): 11:27am On May 31, 2011
Unlike Ohakim that likes to run his mouth without caution, Rochas has that political savvy of Obama, the heart of Fashola and the trust of Imo people.
Free education is a realizeable policy as long as it is well plamned and budgeted for.
Imo state is known for its educational stance and education has always been very dear to the hearts of Imolites.
And I like the way he is not wasting time talking about Ohakim or how he is going to probe him(even though we know he is surely going to do it, giving the recent avalench of policies taken by ohakim to pit Rochas against the people of Imo state. But we understand his antics.
I will also advice that Rochas sgould not neccessarily fall for unworkable populist policies that will creat more problems. We ve heard how some state govt have given unproductive jobs to 20,000 youth or even the defunct ohakim invisible 10,000 jobs; job creation should be left in the hands of the private sector, what government needs to do is to provide conducive environment for inestors to come in by building a better roadnetwork, bridges, expanding Imo state roads and massively supporting agriculture.
It is folly paying people money for unproductive work done like is seen in some states, funds are limited and there should priority.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by emekagh(m): 11:31am On May 31, 2011
Nice one. I only hope he thinks it through and be sure the state resources can sustain it, even after he is gone.
Perhaps, he should look at the IGR of the state, with aim of improving it, without unleashing unnecessary hardship on the good people of Imo State.

I wish you goodluck Rochas!
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by DonShark(m): 12:21pm On May 31, 2011
This man is a messiah to Imo State like Goodluck to Nigeria.
I pray for God to stand by him to accomplish his manifesto:Amen.
Rochas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We Know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
God bless Imo State.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by hakanai(m): 12:36pm On May 31, 2011
Chyz*:

[size=13pt]Okorocha declares free education in Imo[/size]

Published on 30 May 2011 with 5 comments   

EMMA OGU, Owerri

Education, job creation and security top priority list Governor Rochas Okororcha of Imo state announced yesterday to the cheering of enthusiastic crowd of Imo citizens shortly after being administered the oath of office with his deputy Chief Sir Jude Agbaso at Dan Anyiam stadium Owerri.

Immediate past Governor Ikedi Ohakim, his deputy Ada Okwuonu as well as Speaker of the State House of Assembly were however, conspicuously absent at the occasion graced by former governor Achike Udenwa, governor Peter Obi of Anambra State, Chief Victor Umeh, national chairman of All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA) governorship candidate of the party for the 2007 election Chief Martin Agbaso and other distinguished personalities.

Okorocha who arrived at the venue with his wife and six children took his oath of office at exactly 12 noon after the deputy governor Chief Agbaso was administered the oath by the Chief Judge, Justice Benjamin Njemanze.

Okorocha who burst into songs of praise after his swearing in declared the day a day of freedom, a day of emancipation and a day of restoration for Imo people saying democracy has really started in the state and never again shall an Iroko decides who governs Imo people but the people themselves.

"The May 5 supplementary election remains a great day in history. I see before me a great thing to happen. I know you expect much from me. You believe in me and you trust me. I will perform and I will not disappoint you. Your peace is my peace; your pain is my pain. Where you are, there I will be.

"Just few days ago the outgoing governor Ikedi Ohakim issued staff of office to over 160 traditional rulers. Appointment letters for his 10,000 thousand jobs were released to the beneficiaries within a week. Just few days ago he signed N18, 000 minimum wage for workers. Imo allocation stands at N2.2billion. Imo is not worthy to borrow from any bank because of over borrowing. Even on that I will perform. I will not give any excuse. I will deliver", he said.

Reeling out his priority areas, Okorocha declared free education and warned that any parents or guardian who refused to send his child or ward to school will face the law. He said he was prompted to declare free education out of his belief that the best that can be given to a child is education as a child without education is a futureless child.

He said Imo has a lot of security challenges and noted that peace has returned to the state since his election because there is a new spirit among the people to move forward. In this regard, he promised to tackle security to the fullest.

"I don’t believe in crime fighting but crime prevention. The criminals are all in our communities and my administration will create a black book for them. No criminal shall go unpunished as far as this administration is concerned", he said.

On the issue of job he said his government will do a lot to keep everybody busy. He said that he would rescue the few remaining industries in comatose position in the state. He warned civil servants in the state to be serious with their jobs noting that the era of truancy and coming late to work is gone with the old order.

He said: "Our civil servants must stand up and face the challenge. For every single worker, there is a corresponding person waiting to take over your seat if you don’t perform".

He advised unemployed young men and women in the state looking for jobs to be close to their God henceforth because his government will go to churches to collect list of such job lookers and this will ensure that those to be employed are spiritually certified.

Governor Okorocha did not ignore the health sector as he said that his government will review the issue of health with serious concern. He said he is worried by the issue of justice and fairness and therefore will appoint a special assistant in charge of that to ensure that innocent persons are not kept in prison custody because they have no big man to bail them.

He said: "No innocent person will be kept in police or prison custody anymore. At the same time, no criminal will go unpunished no matte his connection. I therefore warn the big men who are fond of issuing orders to Divisional Police Officers to release detained criminals stop it henceforth or they will replace such criminals in prison."

Assuring that his government will be grassroots based, Okorocha said his government will create fourth tier of government, Community Government and the seat of power, Douglas House is now in the communities.

He said he was not interested in probing his predecessor, but in auditing the accounts of the state. "This government is not interested in witch hunting anybody. What we are interested in is auditing the account of Imo state. I have no business looking backward".

CAN highlights people’s expectations for Kano govt

| Print | E-mail

Written by Kola Oyelere, Kano Tuesday, 31 May 2011

THE chairman, Christian Association Nigeria (CAN), Kano State branch, Bishop Ransome Bello, has said that  the major expectation of the teeming masses of the state from  governor Dr. Musa Kwankwaso, was for him to champion  peaceful co-existence in the state just as he also called on the new administration in the state to limit implementation of Sharia to the Muslims, while the areas dominated by  Christians should be preserved and excluded from the implementation of Sharia.

According to him, “our expectation is very simple, nobody is in doubt of the legacy of peace that was left behind by the former  governor, Malam Ibrahim Shekarau, but I believe that every government has its own area of strength .
The state CAN’s boss also urged the new  government to always execute friendly programmes.

“I think the former governor was strong in the area of security and peace.

So, the new governor should keep it up and ,make it better , as we all know that peace is always the bedrock for progress, that is the first expectation from  Dr. Kwankwaso.

“Kano being a multi-ethnic state have been experiencing different conflicts in recent times, Gov Kwankwaso  should try to integrate the non-indigenes into his government like  his predecessor.

This he could do by appointing  them into his cabinet so as to give people the confidence that they are part of the government and should be free to contribute their quotas. I think that integration would foster peace between the government and the people,
” he advised.

Speaking further, he  said, Sabogari should also be given a face lift because, the area was not in the best shape comparing to other areas in the state.

Bishop Bello also advised the new government to provide good road network, potable water for the people of the state, especially those living in Sabogari.

He also urged the Kwankwaso’s government not to infringe on the fundamental human rights, saying this is  highly important, especially  freedom of worship, because Shari’a can not be applicable to everybody in Kano State, he stated.

One begins to wonder,religious politics at it again.SO if you are not a christian you are out and unemployed be that? While CAN is busy suggesting that Kano Governor should be considerate like the former Shekarau.Such that be all inclusive in his appointments and respect for other faiths. shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by Odunnu: 12:54pm On May 31, 2011
Kano and Imo are not comparable religion wise.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by 1soul(m): 1:06pm On May 31, 2011
When i read some people's post here i can't help but marvel at their level of reasoning. Rochas has a reputation to protect and being Imo state's Governor is still a process in his political pursuit, What makes you bunch of pessimists feel like you know better when he wears the shoes and knows where it pinch, His free education foundation has been up and running and at a standard level. Nigerians have totally lost their sense of progressive nature due to corruption from the Presidency to the Cabinet and down to the masses. Rochas can do all that he has promised and even more! After all its not even worth the amount most of our corrupt and God-forsaken Governors embezzle and hide abroad, imagine if a sitting governor can build a standard refinery outside Nigeria while here we suffer for lack of it, Using state money to create employment in other countries while we suffer from acute shortage of same, Seriously most Nigerians need to hit the rehab cos their psychology has been messed up so much that they've lost touch with positive possibilities, Bunch of backward thinkers! I love Nigeria but I hate the way the people think, Most newspapers hunt for bad/sad news because they sell like wild fire, when are we going to start celebrating success and optimistic thinking?

1 Like

Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by sley4life(m): 1:12pm On May 31, 2011
well done Rochas. lyk u said Ohakim is a bush a n i m a l(ikiri). How can Ohakim create 10,000 jobs 2dys b4 handover. Increase workers salary even award contracts. Ohakim shud spend some time in Jail. EFCC pls do ur work. Im proud 2 b an Imolite.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by VALIDATOR: 1:26pm On May 31, 2011
1soul:

When i read some people's post here i can't help but marvel at their level of reasoning. Rochas has a reputation to protect and being Imo state's Governor is still a process in his political pursuit, What makes you bunch of pessimists feel like you know better when he wears the shoes and knows where it pinch, His free education foundation has been up and running and at a standard level. Nigerians have totally lost their sense of progressive nature due to corruption from the Presidency to the Cabinet and down to the masses. Rochas can do all that he has promised and even more! After all its not even worth the amount most of our corrupt and God-forsaken Governors embezzle and hide abroad, imagine if a sitting governor can build a standard refinery outside Nigeria while here we suffer for lack of it, Using state money to create employment in other countries while we suffer from acute shortage of same, Seriously most Nigerians need to hit the rehab cos their psychology has been messed up so much that they've lost touch with positive possibilities, Bunch of backward thinkers! I love Nigeria but I hate the way the people think, Most newspapers hunt for bad/sad news because they sell like wild fire, when are we going to start celebrating success and optimistic thinking?
Nice one bro.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by Ournaija: 1:37pm On May 31, 2011
On a serious note, I think Rochas Okorocha knows his onions and he will do what he promised.

I visited Imo State during the gubernatorial election, people voted for him, protected those votes and were willing to die for those votes. Thank God INEC didnt go against the wish of the people. Maybe by now Imo would have turned to a Northern State.

I asked residence of Imo why so much support for this man called Rochas. The answers I got almost made me burst into tears because such men like Rochas are rare in AFRICA. Do you know that he sends forms to every community in the State to produce the less privileged amongst them for entrance exam into Rochas Foundation which is a free education. And he sees those kids as his children. Imo people believe that if he is given the chance their kids will have the chance of been educated. Am seeing Imo State producing more manpower for Nigeria in the years to come. If not for corruption, it is possible to educate all willing Nigerians to University for free. In Libya and in most parts of the West free education is not considered as a luxury.

This man is actually interested in education than any other thing. He has been doing this with his private naira. He has a vision. I think he will do what he has just promised. He should be encouraged in whatever form we can.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by mrperfect2(m): 1:40pm On May 31, 2011
I know he can do it because he has mentioned this somany times.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by 1025: 1:48pm On May 31, 2011
THIS IS A QUALITY/SWEET LIE. IMPO OOO - IMPOSSIBLE.
@POSTER, BE CAREFUL. WHERE WILL IMO STATE SEE MONEY TO DO FREE EDUCATION FROM PRIMARY TO SECONDARY TALK-LESS OF UNIVERSITY.
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by enyinwa1: 2:35pm On May 31, 2011
WHERE EVER THE MONEY COME S FROM IS NOT OUR PROBLEM ATLIST IS A REDUCE OF STRESS FOR THE PARENTS SO LET BE GREATFUL FOR ONES
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by Kobojunkie: 2:43pm On May 31, 2011
Nigerian and sensationalism. grin
Re: Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. by OAM4J: 2:45pm On May 31, 2011
Sounds good. Lets see how it works out.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Occupy Nigeria: Pictures From Protest In Finland / War In Ngige's Camp As Annie Okonkwo Turns His Back On APC and Ngige's bid / Plateau State Declares Two Days As Public Holiday For PVC Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.