Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,191 members, 7,815,155 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? (8920 Views)

I Will Become A Christian If..... / "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" / You Cannot Be A Christian If You Have Not Met Jesus Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by misright(f): 10:56am On May 16, 2007
If you don't believe the earth was created in seven days;
If you don't believe Jesus literally rose from the dead;
If you don't genuinely believe that an omniscient God implanted
a divine foetus in the womb of a virgin human woman, are you really a Christian?
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by thesilent1(m): 11:07am On May 16, 2007
christian = christlike as in you believe what he believes.

do not believe what christ does = not christian.

as usual, i try to sound as simple and basic as i possibily can. i suppose i can go into a 15 page answer but gosh, i am just too tired. lol

if you are on a football field and playing football but not using your leg to kick the ball. instead you use your hands. are you still playing football?
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:19am On May 16, 2007
@thesilent1
Our Lord Jesus Christ, did not believe in some parts of the Bible because they were written after he died and resurrected.

1 Like

Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by thesilent1(m): 11:21am On May 16, 2007
can i just add that this is different to not believing EVERY "meaning" you have heard
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by worldismy(m): 11:24am On May 16, 2007
one should know that the earth was created by an extraordinaryman and that is God the earth can exist on his own
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by thesilent1(m): 11:37am On May 16, 2007
what the ?!?!?! lol

okay, as i said in my post, i am trying to be simplistic here and avoid a lot of technicalities but as usual, someone had to get smart. thanks!

okay, to satisfy the likes of richyblack, to make that addtition will mean that even though he is now sitted at the right side of the father, he is UNAWARE of anything that occured after the cross, neither does he have a say

i suppose his knowledge was limited to only stuff that happned prior to the cross
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by temmyabby(f): 1:19pm On May 16, 2007
so wat exact do u believe, that makes u call urself a Christian? , that the mistake people make, U ARE NOT A CHRISTIAN BECAUSE U FATHER AND MOTHER ARE CHRISTIANS, if u do not believe that Christ died and arose on the 3rd day, u don't believe the bible is the word of God, u don't believe the bible stories, , then u should question why u say u are a Christian becos u are not, dats my point of view
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by topten: 3:14pm On May 16, 2007
The bible is not the judgment. A Christian is not supposed to believe every word in the bible. Jesus died long before the bible was written. You are saved by the blood not by the book.

Read this articles "Five things a Christian must know" at:

http://oxcheck.net/sa/1.html

Read the bible but don't believe everything.
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by degubi(m): 3:15pm On May 16, 2007
Dear Misright if someone does not believe in any of the things u listed then there is no point calling oneself a christian. It is all about faith: Faith is the appearance of things yet hoped for, the conviction of things not yet seen.

I agree that there are things in the bible that may seem far fetched, but then so are many things that occur in daily living which cannot be explained away. Trying to rationalise God is like explaining the internet to an ant, no man can understand God, we have not even understood why we behave the way we do. Rather we should focus on knowing this God that do such great things and not dwell on questioning if he did do the things he said he did.

p.s stop rationalising and start believing.
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by olawa20(m): 4:28pm On May 16, 2007
Are u a christian and u find it hard to believe these things, or you want to become one and you find it hard to believe these due to insufficient evidence to back such claims?
1Peter 1:8 says: "Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy,". That to me is the essence of our faith. Christians are BELIEVERS.
If you are a christian and you have doubts about some of these things, you can prayerfully deal with it. It says in 2Peter 1:16 that we do not follow after cunningly deviced fables. His Divine birth, the life he lived here on earth, his death and resurrection are key truths of the christian faith. without them you would be talking about a different religion.
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by simmy(m): 5:00pm On May 16, 2007
@richyblack
Once again, as is usual in such threads u come across people with interesting logic

'Our Lord Jesus Christ, did not believe in some parts of the Bible because they were written after he died and resurrected'-- listen to urself!!!!!!!
xctly what does tht mean
Xcept ure joking sha
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by simmy(m): 5:10pm On May 16, 2007
@topten
the simple answer to ur type of thinking is, the bible is (at least supposd to be) congruent in its sayings thruought. So how do i selectively believe a book which is congruent in its sayings thruought? thts inviting confusion, i cant do tht without contradicitng myself, its either i dont believe the bible at all or i believe everything.

The fact tht should be contested is whether the bible's teachings are congruent with each other, and opinions differ, its subjective
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by mellow(m): 5:46pm On May 16, 2007
If you don't believe those things you are not a christain but

does that make you any less a child of God?

Jesus came from Jerusalem but Isreal but these guys

are still waiting for the messiah. Does this mean when they die

they won't go to heaven? because they don't believe Christ has come?
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by aumefa: 7:53pm On May 16, 2007
The Bible was inspired by the Spirit of God. Contradictions in the Bible are assumptions of those that have little knowledge of it.
To our question, the early Christians and those that were first called Christians did not have access to a Bible. They actually made a part of the Bible.
The Bible stories do not make christians.
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by dreamnaira(m): 8:16pm On May 16, 2007
i thnk it wll be gud u come out in full or comeup wth d theory u wnt 2 establish dan going around d issue indirectly. whn u come out in full den i can contribute. bt remember dat God is nt man 2 play wth.
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by Jduck13(m): 10:24pm On May 16, 2007
well the earth might not have been created in 7 days because god has different time than us since he is eternal

but if u dont believe Jesus didnt come out of a virgin then u r denying him as gods son and therefore u dont believe in him and am not christian because if Mary wasnt a virgin than the baby would be whoever had sex with her so to be gods son she had to be a virgin
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by Jduck13(m): 10:25pm On May 16, 2007
@ temmyabal what u said is not a pointof view it is the truth it says so in the bible Im glad u stood up for The Lord
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by Jduck13(m): 10:27pm On May 16, 2007
@ mellow yes they will go to hell

John 3 16 for god so loved the world he gave his only begotten son for whosoever believeth in him shall have everlasting life

so if u dont believe in him u will not have everlasting life
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by texazzpete(m): 7:17am On May 17, 2007
@Jduck13
I find it hard to accept you're a true Christian since you steadfastly refuse to capitalize the 'G' in God. Christians respect God enough not to write it as 'god'. If you're referring to Baal or Ogun, that's a different thing. . .
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by simmy(m): 9:30am On May 17, 2007
@texasspete
y do Nigerians love trivialities?
Im sure God Himself when he read tht post didnt notice the small 'g', it was just an oversight!!!
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by thesilent1(m): 11:04am On May 17, 2007
hence why we are as religious as we currently are, focus on so much rules, traditions, "works".
i guess soon, someone will say that is grounds for missing slavation; spelling with lower case letters.
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by mellow(m): 6:10pm On May 17, 2007
thesilent1:

hence why we are as religious as we currently are, focus on so much rules, traditions, "works".
i guess soon, someone will say that is grounds for missing slavation; spelling with lower case letters.

Beats me hollow
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by Nobody: 6:14pm On May 17, 2007
I would have said let's find out on judgement day but then it may be too late
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by texazzpete(m): 9:55pm On May 17, 2007
simmy:

@texasspete
y do Nigerians love trivialities?
I'm sure God Himself when he read that post didnt notice the small 'g', it was just an oversight!!!

Well, perhaps you call that a 'triviality'. but it isn't to me and to most other Christians out there. When your believe implicitly in one God, then you've got to separate the one true Deity from the host of other fakes floating around.

and as for the oversight part, he's done it so many times here!
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by texazzpete(m): 9:58pm On May 17, 2007
thesilent1:

You actually meant 'salvation', not 'slavation', didn't you?

thinly veiled. . .
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by thesilent1(m): 8:24am On May 18, 2007
this is like talking to my English teacher in school! lol

okay, yes i meant salvation, but thank you for highlighting my unconscious comedy genius.
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by Tasma: 9:33am On May 18, 2007
@misright, it is quite impossible for any Christian to prove all the Bible stories are true. I think being a literal believer in the Bible is quite a task. That said though one can go more for the spirit behind the Bible. I guess in a way that was Jesus's message too. Follow the spirit of the law and not just the law. Whether you are not a Christian because you don't believe in all the Biblical stories is frankly not important. Our actions and behavior judge us more than what we claim to believe.
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by TellyB(m): 10:16am On May 18, 2007
@misright,

Let me even ask: having asked yourself your own questions, what do you really believe??

And whatever you believe, where does that leave you as a Christian (or perhaps, a Baptist in particular)??
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by KAG: 1:09pm On May 18, 2007
Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story?

If you don't believe the earth was created in seven days;
If you don't believe Jesus literally rose from the dead;
If you don't genuinely believe that an omniscient God implanted
a divine foetus in the womb of a virgin human woman, are you really a Christian?

Yes; yes; iffy, but still probable; possibly. The main critereon is accepting Jesus as your saviour, no?

aumefa:

The Bible was inspired by the Spirit of God. Contradictions in the Bible are assumptions of those that have little knowledge of it.

That's untrue. Claims of inerrancy are asumptions by those, usually fundamentalists, who have little knowledge of the Bible.
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by misright(f): 1:34pm On May 18, 2007
Telly B:

@misright,

Let me even ask: having asked yourself your own questions, what do you really believe??

And whatever you believe, where does that leave you as a Christian (or perhaps, a Baptist in particular)??

I believe in wat i knw and wat i knw is wat the Bible teaches!
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by TellyB(m): 1:35pm On May 18, 2007
misright:

I believe in what i knw and what i knw is what the Bible teaches!

Great. Then what was the thread all about in the first place?
Re: Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? by misright(f): 1:43pm On May 18, 2007
Telly B:

Great. Then what was the thread all about in the first place?

I learn from de best that's why i've choosen to be a member of nairaland. u knw wat u dont knw.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Catholic Church To Launch TV Station In Abuja / The Difference Between Hell And Hell Fire. / Christ Embasssy Celebrity Story Of The Week - Rev Ray Okochaā€¸ The Truth Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.