Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,970 members, 7,828,440 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker (20386 Views)

How Can Someone Who Lost His First School Leaving Certificate Get It Back? / What To Do If You Do Not Have The First School Leaving Certificate. / First School Leaving Certificate And Testimonial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by gonkin(m): 8:15pm On Aug 29, 2019
No worry no be just secondary school. Wetin NYSC don experience tire

Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by HBB1(m): 8:15pm On Aug 29, 2019
UrVillagePpl:
not a bad move...

i have seen a 14-year-old in a university (a private uni in Naija studying Medicine just imagine )
and i was like how come,? when did u finish primary, even secondary..

tooo young to be in a Uni at such a tender age (regardless his IQ)

i see this as a nice move

The earlier one finishes school and faces life, the better for him.

When I was in Uni, the younger ones were beating the 'older' and 'mature' ones.

It's just formal education, get it quick and get it over with! (So far the child is up to it)

2 Likes

Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by martowskin1(m): 8:15pm On Aug 29, 2019
Nukilia:

You need to see me laughing out loud here... I understand you bro...Hmmmm I can count folks around me who worked hard, were brilliant but today their life is nothing to write hone about. When youths in the community see them, they pray never to be poor like them...

Sometimes people lack direction and guidance... No mentor and that affect youth a lot...

I know is not easy.... But bro is not impossible.... Been poor bro is a choice....

Lastly, I have to agree Nigeria is not helping matters... Society is killing potentials

1 Like

Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Chuks9000: 8:17pm On Aug 29, 2019
LGDON:

You can take your child to the nearest state If you dont like the law
Sending my children to another state is not the issue here.
The impact of such a law is more negetive than hoped. That is what you should address.
After all, cultism came into the system when the average entry age into our tertiary was above 18.

1 Like

Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Nukilia: 8:19pm On Aug 29, 2019
martowskin1:

Sometimes people lack direction and guidance... No mentor and that affect youth a lot...
I know is not easy.... But bro is not impossible.... Been poor bro is a choice....
Lastly, I have to agree Nigeria is not helping matters... Society is killing potentials

May you live long for being realistic! I think we need to connect ...

2 Likes

Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Nukilia: 8:20pm On Aug 29, 2019
Chuks9000:

Sending my children to another state is not the issue here.
The impact of such a law is more negetive than hoped. That is what you should address.
After all, cultism came into the system when the average entry age into our tertiary was above 18.
@Chuks9000 may your days be long... You think smart!
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by farolee(m): 8:21pm On Aug 29, 2019
Another mad man
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 29, 2019
Charleys:

They are no brilliant young ones everyone is dumb in Nigeria.

spoken like a truly dumb person
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 29, 2019
akinade28:
What will this achieve oo! Is this the next thing to tackle amidst all the problems battling with education in osun state?. Why delay brilliant young ones unnecessarily?.
Are there not adults influenced by peer pressure?.
Misplaced priorities
It still very embrassing to me that this man that was caught doing blood rituals openly in Ilesha became the speaker of the house just because he has political godfathers.
Anyway this is Nigeria, anything goes

Blood ritual?
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by TemmyWon(f): 8:29pm On Aug 29, 2019
Osun always in the news for the wrong reasons
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Gruvychuky(f): 8:30pm On Aug 29, 2019
baby124:

Most of the ones that clear common entrance at 10 get help from cheating. Growing up it was not a small feat to clear common entrance but now it’s like water. If all exams were treated like JAMB then you will see mass failure. If kids enter primary school at 6 and cannot write common entrance except in Primary 6 they will enter secondary school at 12. Go through the process and graduate from secondary school at 18. How will that encourage degeneracy and truancy if they are going through the process as they should?
The going ones do better in the university. most people with 1st class are the young ones.
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Gruvychuky(f): 8:30pm On Aug 29, 2019
baby124:

Most of the ones that clear common entrance at 10 get help from cheating. Growing up it was not a small feat to clear common entrance but now it’s like water. If all exams were treated like JAMB then you will see mass failure. If kids enter primary school at 6 and cannot write common entrance except in Primary 6 they will enter secondary school at 12. Go through the process and graduate from secondary school at 18. How will that encourage degeneracy and truancy if they are going through the process as they should?
The ones do better in the university. most people with 1st class are the young ones.
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by UrVillagePpl: 8:31pm On Aug 29, 2019
Nukilia:

Like seriously grin grin cheesy

Are you for real? Or you just kidding me grin
true talk o, no jokes
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Bbbwings: 8:40pm On Aug 29, 2019
Hayelomo:

Don't say that o. I passed my common entrance at 9 with one of the best grades and that was over 20 years ago. If the government see that the standard of test is low, they should increase it along with the content of syllabus and if they think people are cheating to get grades, they should put counter measures in place. Non of these is solved by pegging of age. A right thinking government should not think that everyone should go through the stage of life at the same rate - they did not create the brain, they should not limit it. Moreover, I think Jamb pegged age to 16,how reasonable then is it for them to peg secondary school leavers at 18? Can we have some coherence in our educational system in this country?
This is a pertinent question.
I wonder if this year governor ever gave this a thought.
I went to one of the model schools supposedly upgraded by aregbe. Only one block is passable as a classroom.
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Pacesetter123(m): 8:41pm On Aug 29, 2019
It's a very welcome idea to me.U look at our Nigeria universities now,it resemble a junior section in secondary school.Dey students are so tiny to de extend dat some lecturers will tell dem to kneel down n receive strokes of cane n dey do very willingly.They don't even av de emotional stamina to withstand de stress n rigors of academics associated with Nigeria universities system.Students unionism now is zero.Dats why poo happen in schools nowadays without any resistant cos students in de union r kindergarten kids.
So Mr Speaker,dats a good one from you.But I will further submit dat u should also advocate for de abolition of age discrimination for prospective job seekers.Dats my submission.

1 Like

Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by conquer20: 8:43pm On Aug 29, 2019
Like seriously,It gets me irritated and disgusted to be listening to some of our leaders in this nation spewing hogwashes out of their stinking mouths. How on earth did this man find his way to the position of leadership in Osun state with this kind of absolute trash?When most under 18 youths abroad are making waves all over the world,we keep making retrogressive and archaic policies that can't benefit the populace any good. Well,I don't blame him,what do you expect from the most populated black nation being led by a president that has no secondary school certificate. I really weep for this nation
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 29, 2019
can't Nigeria ever learn from the Americans equivalent of secondary school.. they have good and functional clubs and association good music dance and drama classes, also good computer and sports center carpentry classes etc. in that way u're continually challenged throughout ur sec school. no summer jobs or vacation. of what use is keeping students in a system that can easily be beaten u can even easily write waec and get the certification that u're done with secondary school without haven passed ur classes in the previous sessions or even going in the first place.. universities don't ask 4 secondary school transcripts not to talk of granting interviews before granting admissions.. and these buffoons are thinking of keeping Pples children in a place where their minds are not being fed.. nonsense
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Awesome01(m): 8:48pm On Aug 29, 2019
That policy is a good one but at a wrong time and point in our educational system.

Instead of trumping a child's progress at secondary school with such policy.; why not make a policy that admission into higher institutions should be from age 18 upwards. And enforce that.

In Ogun state for example. most primary schools use the schedule and scheme of the next class to teach e.g. pupils in pry. 1 being taught with pry 2 schedule. As such, pry 4 & 5 pupils sit and pass the common entrance to.secondary schools.

If a child is able to pass WAEC etc at 16 or 17 years with good grades, good. He or she can use the one or two years to acquire vocational skills. Moreover, some retake these exams two to three times in a roll.

My point is: Peg admission into higher institutions to begin at 18years and above. Leave the secondary level as it is.
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by ayyoughurt(m): 8:50pm On Aug 29, 2019
akinade28:
What will this achieve oo! Is this the next thing to tackle amidst all the problems battling with education in osun state?. Why delay brilliant young ones unnecessarily?.
Are there not adults influenced by peer pressure?.
Misplaced priorities
It still very embrassing to me that this man that was caught doing blood rituals openly in Ilesha became the speaker of the house just because he has political godfathers.
Anyway this is Nigeria, anything goes
I swear this is Crazy
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by akinade28(f): 8:52pm On Aug 29, 2019
eniolaamos7:

Blood ritual?
his news hit front page here on nairaland when it happened na
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Legendguru: 8:55pm On Aug 29, 2019
hmm
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Nobody: 8:55pm On Aug 29, 2019
akinade28:
his news hit front page here on nairaland when it happened na

Hmm. Aiye le o
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 29, 2019
Pacesetter123:
It's a very welcome idea to me.U look at our Nigeria universities now,it resemble a junior section in secondary school.Dey students are so tiny to de extend dat some lecturers will tell dem to kneel down n receive strokes of cane n dey do very willingly.They don't even av de emotional stamina to withstand de stress n rigors of academics associated with Nigeria universities system.Students unionism now is zero.Dats why poo happen in schools nowadays without any resistant cos students in de union r kindergarten kids.
So Mr Speaker,dats a good one from you.But I will further submit dat u should also advocate for de abolition of age discrimination for prospective job seekers.Dats my submission.
this is one of those arguments that looks sensible at first but on a second thought it is flawed... the secondary school is the bedrock of educational development. teenagers in sec school are not properly stimulated to think 4 demselves and as such made to comform to the fears and caprices of frustrated teachers who they call uncles and aunty... as such it doesn't matter how long u spend in such a system in fact more tym in such a community has developed a term called "learnd Helplessness" that has gradually eating into the millennia crop of youths that are currently in this nation at this time.
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Topelistic(f): 9:01pm On Aug 29, 2019
I support dis ooo
cause there this small girl in my area,she skip jss3 to ss1 n later join her peer to write d jss3 exam in ss1.
N can u belive she also took jamb in ss1 and she is just 14 wit nting up stairs all she knw is social media n make up
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by ctleurocollege: 9:05pm On Aug 29, 2019
Great!
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by IYANGBALI: 9:05pm On Aug 29, 2019
These people are crazy
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by rhemarhemzy: 9:07pm On Aug 29, 2019
I don't think this is right with jamb jaming people, finish secondary school at 18 maybe gained admission at 20 finished at 24/25, serve at 26/27, and one company will be looking for young graduate of not less than 24 with 2-3 years work experience.
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Femijohn198: 9:08pm On Aug 29, 2019
Removed age barrier from employment in Nigeria that is what we need.All that you said na story.
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by eazzzy1(m): 9:16pm On Aug 29, 2019

1 Like

Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by grandstar(m): 9:23pm On Aug 29, 2019
Hayelomo:

Don't say that o. I passed my common entrance at 9 with one of the best grades and that was over 20 years ago. If the government see that the standard of test is low, they should increase it along with the content of syllabus and if they think people are cheating to get grades, they should put counter measures in place. Non of these is solved by pegging of age. A right thinking government should not think that everyone should go through the stage of life at the same rate - they did not create the brain, they should not limit it. Moreover, I think Jamb pegged age to 16,how reasonable then is it for them to peg secondary school leavers at 18? Can we have some coherence in our educational system in this country?

I've always felt that parents rush their wards too much these days- where are they rushing to? School is supposed to be savored and this is lost if rushed. The school is also supposed to pass through you and some or a lot of that is lost if rushed.

You finish Uni at 19 or 20 and you join the rat race. I would suggest that after SSS 3 at 16, the child learns a series of trades such as web design, app making, laptop repair, mobile phone repair and a host of other skills if possible. In Uni, he'll learn how to profit from these skills and it would give him an edge in the real world after graduation. There should be a 2 year gap before entering uni.

After uni, the child will have experience and more confidence than those without such skills. He'll be able to earn income without a job and be better at starting a successful business. Also, when added to his CV, it will be an edge as he won't be seen as a greenhorn in dealing with people especially clientele.

baby124

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by baby124: 9:33pm On Aug 29, 2019
grandstar:

I've always felt that parents rush their wards too much these days- where are they rushing to? School is supposed to be savored and this is lost if rushed. The school is also supposed to pass through you and some or a lot of that is lost if rushed.

You finish Uni at 19 or 20 and you join the rat race. I would suggest that after SSS 3 at 16, the child learns a series of trades such as web design, app making, laptop repair, mobile phone repair and a host of other skills if possible. In Uni, he'll learn how to profit from these skills and it would give him an edge in the real world after graduation. There should be a 2 year gap before entering uni.

After uni, the child will have experience and more confidence than those without such skills. He'll be able to earn income without a job and be better at starting a successful business. Also, when added to his CV, it will be an edge as he won't be seen as a greenhorn in dealing with people especially clientele.

baby124

I agree with you. My own is kids have no business entering University before 18. I have also always advocated for the technical experience angle. We have technical colleges for a reason. Maybe they do 2 years in technical schools and 2 yrs in university to get a BSC. Or they can graduate at 16 with 2years of building technical skills and completing JAMB.
Re: Osun To Peg Secondary School Leaving Age At 18 —speaker by Raylight2(m): 9:35pm On Aug 29, 2019
I pray they agree. after all his children have left school, he's now coming up with a law meant for the 19th century. what's the point delaying people's children in a country where things ain't working yet?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Reports From Different JAMB Centers / Lagos Orders Public & Private Schools To Vacate On 18 December, 2020 / Latest On ASUU Strike: ASUU To Make A Final Decision Tomorrow.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.