Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,655 members, 7,816,684 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable (40045 Views)

Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! / Are Nigerian Graduates Employable? / Why Millions Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed — FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Elijahrona(m): 12:08pm On Aug 31, 2019
chrismex:

Sure am hopeful and optimistic on my dreams and goals but hope for this country no I don't. There is nothing to be hopeful in this country. When you hope on something you keep expecting more from it. My hope is on me my family my dreams and goals. We are on our own in this country the early we know the better. The country has failed. I'm happy you still believe in the country as for me I don't. There are two type of people that still believe in Nigeria

1. The ones that don't have source or financial capability to leave this country so they don't have choice than to accept and believe.

2. The ones that have everything but are ready to fight for the masses. This are the ones that really believe in Nigeria.

You should know that the government does not believe in this country it might sound stupid but that's the fact.

For me now is when I wake up I pray go out for the days hustle, always vigilant, after hustle get home as early as possible. Go out when necessary, spend on needs until, I get better chance of leaving the country. As of now we are our own pilot.

As of what you said starting business small and also starting without borrowing. I guess you are not into business. I would have love to break it down for you but it would be long epistle.

All in all let God keep blessing our hustle protect and guide us. As we continue to survive in this country.

Yhhh

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by DEADALIVE: 12:27pm On Aug 31, 2019
It's been long since I drop my comment on any section that's because I for one only selects topic that affects a group of people and our contribution or opinion can help someone here or out there...
back to the topic, sometimes when I read texts like this exclamating or pointing out if you would allow me why most Nigerian graduates are not employable due to the facts that the universities have bad curriculum, students are just there to get certificates or no room for experience and others to mentioned but few, these facts are actually true contributing factors is what I called them.
I tell you what, in Africa as a whole we are just known for consumption, corruption, self aggrandizement, greed, non conformity to rules and regulation to success, celebrating frivolity rather than innovation and invention of great minds not to say the least.
Everybody is employable in Nigeria either you went to school or not, all that need to be done is just sanitize the populace about industrial revolution that means if you are going to high institution to get a degree you are there to work on an industrial research irrespective of your discipline and it should be on your field of study within the four to five years stipulated time to graduate.
you will agree with me a lot of us will definitely be very creative not just writing and twitting ideas but economy wise selling ideas and eradicating the influence of foreign establishment in the country there by running our own Nigeria economy independent of other country's market or economy influence especially in terms of machines and technology.
....of course everything I have said will be invalid if the Government still continue to embrace the 1999 constitution that support immunity for criminals and exhibit poor fundamental economic principles across board which we have suffered, still suffering and will continue to suffer you know why ? because in Nigeria it pays to be a criminal and your legacy as a criminal will for ever be sung and praised.
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Mftivi: 12:30pm On Aug 31, 2019
AntiWailer:
Yea

But they come and blame Buhari.

As a hiring Manager, I have tried to fill just 6 roles before.

My team and I interviewed over 25 candidates and NONE was worth it.
your candidates are in the streets. equipped with skills and certificateless.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by africa4ever: 1:21pm On Aug 31, 2019
AntiWailer:
Yea

very appalling
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by africa4ever: 1:22pm On Aug 31, 2019
gabicon:

I believe that there is only one reason why Nigerian graduates are perceived as being unemployable, it is lack of skills. The world is now running a skilled economy and not a qualifications economy. If you don't have the prerequisite skills what will you be doing in the organization?
i agree with you..
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Psoul(m): 1:24pm On Aug 31, 2019
I believe most of the things enumerated.

There are so many jobs in this country but our graduates are unemployable.
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by africa4ever: 1:24pm On Aug 31, 2019
Esseite:
It's the get rich quick syndrome that is killing Nigerian unemployed...

everyone want to get rich quickly with little or no effort.
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Jman06(m): 1:36pm On Aug 31, 2019
Op, I agree with your number one point completely!
People should choose their courses of study in line with societal needs. They should not be deceived by those who go with the mantra "it doesn't matter what one studies in the university".
Truth is that you cannot study fishery ( for example) and then expect NNPC to employ you when they have no need for fishery graduates.

The system needs to be reorganized! Vocational and technical education should be emphasized over some courses. Someone who studied graphic designing in a polytechnic or vocational institution is far better than someone who graduated with first-class in chemistry but cannot find a job in the labour market.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by madenigga(m): 1:38pm On Aug 31, 2019
but this same graduates go abroad and become successful.

Nigerian graduates are employable its just that there are no jobs in Nigeria
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by soke02(m): 1:51pm On Aug 31, 2019
Can u pls suggests solutions to this problems
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Samcent: 2:04pm On Aug 31, 2019
bonnyhope:

oga!!!!!!!!!!!! is your company a rocket manufacturing one? so out of 25, not even one is suitable for the job, which means you did nt invite the right and suitable candidates.
And not inviting the right and suitable candidates speaks volume of the competence of that HR team.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Nascimento(m): 3:04pm On Aug 31, 2019
Jman06:
People should choose their courses of study in line with societal needs. They should not be deceived by those who go with the mantra "it doesn't matter what one studies in the university".
Truth is that you cannot study fishery ( for example) and then expect NNPC to employ you when they have no need for fishery graduates.

The system needs to be reorganized! Vocational and technical education should be emphasized over some courses. Someone who studied graphic designing in a polytechnic or vocational institution is far better than someone who graduated with first-class in chemistry but cannot find a job in the labour market.

I agree 100%. I'd rather hire someone with skills, than someone with loads so certificate who doesn't know what he's doing.
Our school system need a hard reboot.
Emphasis should be placed on equalizing theory (updated knowledge) with practical hands-on knowledge, along with easy access to industry mentors and internships.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by africa4ever: 4:25pm On Aug 31, 2019
Jman06:

Thank you for stopping by. i believe you. The educational system in Nigeria needs a revolution

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by africa4ever: 4:26pm On Aug 31, 2019
Nascimento:

I agree 100%. I'd rather hire someone with skills, than someone with loads so certificate who doesn't know what he's doing.
Our school system need a hard reboot.
Emphasis should be placed on equalizing theory (updated knowledge) with practical hands-on knowledge, along with easy access to industry mentors and internships.
Thanks .
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Funkybabee(f): 4:40pm On Aug 31, 2019
yes ooo na only pally they know!!

A fishery graduates that cannot start a fish pond apart from capital

An accountant with no knowledge of mathematics.

An Hospitality graduates without no experienced of an hotel or catering job.

A zoologist tell what can she do

Science student that can nit mixed a chemical..

is that not yeye

Marketing/sales graduates that cannit talk to a customers talk more of convincing

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Topmaike007(m): 5:13pm On Aug 31, 2019
larryking540:
I was at the mechanic workshop yesterday to fix my car,and if am correct d boy dat fixed it is not more than 10 years old, he changed my car kick, and also test run d car after working on d kick, guys I was amazed and I strongly believe that kid will go places,

and I immediately told someone if every parent can give their child the quality education and place them in anyform of workshops either ict,mechanic,eleclectician, name them, they have done the best and not just rushing the children tru secondary school and at the age of 15 they are already in the university without a single idea of how life is,what they just know is hw to solve calculus, and future mathematics,

the 21st century parents have to create employment and the time is now
you're the most brainy person here..
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Topmaike007(m): 5:18pm On Aug 31, 2019
HeyCorleone:

So a youth, hoping to venture into some business, should first borrow money to install solar power?

You're the one with zero IQ. Idiot.
why insulting the nigga...
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Generaloluseye: 5:24pm On Aug 31, 2019
TechCapon:
Yeah you're 100% correct. Imagine someone who studied petroleum engineering and doesn't even know the process of refining petrol. Even the oil bunkering guys are more skilled in petroleum refining than those so called petroleum engineering graduates. Only professional certification can correct the problem

You can't just blame the graduate but our failed system. No doubt we have some bunch of zeros but imagine a situation where a petroleum engineering graduate has been looking for job for the past three or more years, and he suddenly got an invite in a financial industry. The interviewer now goes through his CV and see B Eng. Petroleum engineering. He now asked him about the process of refining petroleum. He might have forgotten because of rustiness. Moreover, he was invited for a banking interview and he might not brush himself up in that area. So what you said is relative

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Generaloluseye: 5:28pm On Aug 31, 2019
AntiWailer:
Yea

And none was worth it. Hmmmm. You did not get something right. Anyway it is possible your company is trying to build a nuclear bomb and as such none of them is capable. In that case, it is possible.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Generaloluseye: 5:34pm On Aug 31, 2019
Jman06:

You are talking as if you are not a Nigerian. To get ones desires course of study is just like looking for a job. Sometimes you take what is in offer. Now to your description of a chemistry graduate. That graduate that studied for four or five years might not have seen some of the things he was taught in the lab. I remember those days when I was taught CHEM 215, it was just note note note. I never saw those equipments, chemicals not to talk of performing the practicals in the laboratory. Now how is that my fault if I go to the labour market and I was taking to the laboratory to test my skill. No doubt I graduated with a 2-1 or first class but I am practical deficient. #the system is to be blamed#

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Generaloluseye: 5:42pm On Aug 31, 2019
Godshope:
Why is it that similar stories were not told on the side of their children. They even get job before graduating.

Anybody telling U that Nigerian graduates are not employable is a criminal.
Our leaders are greedy. Most of them eat the salaries of more than 100 ghost workers. Most of them will even collect Ur certificate, tell U that the job is not successful while they will use your certificate to eat your supposed salary.

Have we ever pondered to ask why the same news of graduates not been employable is not heard of their children.

Though some graduate are not worth being graduates, but that story of not employable is sure fallacy.

For instance, last Federal Civil Service had graduates with 3rd Class shortlisted for enrollment while those with 2nd Class Upper were not even shortlisted. There were even no room for interview.

Until this country learn to be open in everything, Nigeria will continue to go backward and as well be unproductive.

Finally, the so called leaders cum politicians are our problem

Don't mind that OP, he probably has a job of 120k and he decided to cast aspersion on other jobless graduates. That is one of the problem of some youths. They get a job, they start seeing their friends who don't have as lazy, some ladies get married, they start seeing their female friends as not serious. In 2016, I applied to the FCSC with a master's degree for an education officer position. When the list came out, a third class graduate was shortlisted. How come?

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by seenga(m): 6:04pm On Aug 31, 2019
Drop your whatsapp number
9jayes:
If you're an unemployed graduate contact me.
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by deepwater(f): 6:10pm On Aug 31, 2019
AntiWailer:
Yea

Could it be that your team failed to attract the tight candidates for those positions?

On the other side, perhaps you firm is not worth working for!

It's a two way street Charlie

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by ChiefS(m): 6:26pm On Aug 31, 2019
The same graduates you condemn as being incompetent are the ones that graduate as top of the class in postgraduate programs. The same lecturers that are not good by your standards are the ones that win competitive international grants and in hot demand in other countries. Brain drain is on the increase and many are blind to the looming disaster ahead if this is not addressed. We do not value what we have.

While I agree that a lot has to be done to improve standards we should not condemn our products. Public tertiary education is largely free with poor facilities and you are blaming the victims.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Cousin9999: 6:38pm On Aug 31, 2019
Fake news and propaganda.

And anyone in here trying to insult the act of receiving an education should be ashamed.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by tck2000(m): 6:43pm On Aug 31, 2019
Nail on the head
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by ofwest47(m): 6:59pm On Aug 31, 2019
I always refer to all Nigerian Universities both Federal and private as glorified secondary schools. What you hear in all these Universities are : department of political science, business administration, accountancy, psychology, marriage and canceling, philosophy, economics , religious studies, law, arts and culture etc etc with little or nothing to hear of department of pure Sciences, Medicine, Agric science and technology, Electrical , Electronic, Computer, Mechanical Civil and other brand of science and technology for good job and development of the country .
Recall , South Korea back in 1945 after the end of the 2nd world war started free education up to the University level with 85% intake in Science and technology and 15% in Korean arts and culture with no law department as they said lawyers are the cause of major problems in any country of the world. A good example is Nigeria. Today South Korea is the largest producer of Ocean going vessels in the world.
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by cleanclean(m): 8:02pm On Aug 31, 2019
This post is half baked.

For goodness sake, government policies and style is what brings about development and industrialization which in turn creates employment.

In 2018, energy sector for instance contributed to 7% of net new jobs in US(highest), this is about 151000 jobs. You don't have energy sector in Nigeria and its due to the government's lack of vision. Same applies to all sectors and none is working in Nigeria due to same reason as mentioned above.

These people you referred to as unemployable graduates when they travels to developed nations like US, Germany, Canada, Australia etc for their post graduate studies, they comes out best and are employed by better companies. This is a known fact.

Again, in developed countries, fresh graduates are being enrolled into trainings by companies for like two years before they can take up certain roles, multinational companies in Nigeria like Shell, ExxonMobil etc does same too. More so, in Canada, after your Bachelor of Engineering , a company can only employ you as EIT which is Engineer in Training.

In conclusion, our government lacks vision and the reason is because those that are there are not qualified to lead a country like this. They should not deceive you that they created 4 million Npower jobs @ about 30k for graduates where as their own children are sitted in CBN, NNPC, DPR, etc doing nothing but cashing out big.

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Cousin9999: 3:53am On Sep 01, 2019
ofwest47:
I always refer to all Nigerian Universities both Federal and private as glorified secondary schools. What you hear in all these Universities are : department of political science, business administration, accountancy, psychology, marriage and canceling, philosophy, economics , religious studies, law, arts and culture etc etc with little or nothing to hear of department of pure Sciences, Medicine, Agric science and technology, Electrical , Electronic, Computer, Mechanical Civil and other brand of science and technology for good job and development of the country .
Recall , South Korea back in 1945 after the end of the 2nd world war started free education up to the University level with 85% intake in Science and technology and 15% in Korean arts and culture with no law department as they said lawyers are the cause of major problems in any country of the world. A good example is Nigeria. Today South Korea is the largest producer of Ocean going vessels in the world.

1. South Korea is full of prostitutes, men who beat their wives, and alcoholics. South Koreans don't consider any of these things to be a major problem.

2. South Korea has no natural resources it can really profit from.

3. South Korea's "success" has a lot to do with agreeing to be a US military base, like Japan.

4. One company is 17% of South Korea's GDP: Samsung.

5. South Korea is terrified of North Korea because the reality is a war would send them right back to the middle ages and there's nothing they could do about it except ask the US for help.

6. South Korea cannot attract and keep foreign professionals and great minds. People cannot stand Koreans, and their culture holds no appeal.

7. The average South Korean is miserable and wants to leave the country even if they're upper class or rich.

8. South Korea does not innovate, they strictly copy; usually Japan or the US.

9. South Koreans, like Indians, are known to cheat their way through school at all levels.

10. The work culture is horrible and backwards, and resembles slavery more than a modern white collar environment. South Koreans hit employees...in an office.

Medicine, law, engineering, and the arts are fundamental pillars of society. Saying lawyers have no value is just plain stupid. Every person in a market requires the use of a lawyer the same way we all need a plumber for our toilets to flush or a garbage man to haul stuff away. These are the nuts and bolts of business and infrastructure.
Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by kingkuntaval: 5:12am On Sep 01, 2019
Cousin9999:

1. South Korea is full of prostitutes, men who beat their wives, and alcoholics. South Koreans don't consider any of these things to be a major problem.

2. South Korea has no natural resources it can really profit from.

3. South Korea's "success" has a lot to do with agreeing to be a US military base, like Japan.

4. One company is 17% of South Korea's GDP: Samsung.

5. South Korea is terrified of North Korea because the reality is a war would send them right back to the middle ages and there's nothing they could do about it except ask the US for help.

6. South Korea cannot attract and keep foreign professionals and great minds. People cannot stand Koreans, and their culture holds no appeal.

7. The average South Korean is miserable and wants to leave the country even if they're upper class or rich.

8. South Korea does not innovate, they strictly copy; usually Japan or the US.

9. South Koreans, like Indians, are known to cheat their way through school at all levels.

10. The work culture is horrible and backwards, and resembles slavery more than a modern white collar environment. South Koreans hit employees...in an office.

Medicine, law, engineering, and the arts are fundamental pillars of society. Saying lawyers have no value is just plain stupid. Every person in a market requires the use of a lawyer the same way we all need a plumber for our toilets to flush or a garbage man to haul stuff away. These are the nuts and bolts of business and infrastructure.

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by Cousin9999: 5:37am On Sep 01, 2019
[quote author=kingkuntaval post=81805413][/quote]

Re: Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable by soleexx(m): 8:05am On Sep 01, 2019
AntiWailer:
Yea
I need a job

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason / Ecobank Graduate Trainee 2021 / Job Winning CV...(Updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.