Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,930 members, 7,817,720 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

Alpha Beach Residents Flee Homes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alpha Beach Residents Flee Homes (1382 Views)

Flood Alert: Alpha Beach In Lagos Overflowing / Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater / Residents Flee After Air-Raids On Boko-Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alpha Beach Residents Flee Homes by Ovularia: 10:13am On Oct 26, 2010
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/ArtsandCulture/x2/XFactor/Features/5633882-147/story.csp

By Gbenro Adeoye

October 26, 2010 02:14AM

Residents of Alpha Beach Village, a seaside community in the Lekki area of Lagos, have fled from their homes following the annual flooding experienced by the community, due to the overflowing of the Atlantic Ocean.

The residents were reacting to the latest flooding, experienced on Monday, which invaded homes, hampered small-scale businesses and threatened their survival. According to them, the situation has failed to attract any response from state or federal emergency agencies. However, there was no casualty recorded in the incident. "This is the worst in recent times," said Caro Austin, a trader. "It started around 3am till day break, and we lost over N50,000 worth of goods to the flood. All the sacks of rice, beans and garri in the shop are soaked and the kegs of kerosene pushed down by the water have also spilled, spoiling everything; and this is only in the shop, it's another story at home." "Many people have left already for nearby communities," added Umughene Austin, Mrs Austin's husband and business partner. "We don't know what to do now and we don't even know where we will sleep tonight yet; we are already tired of living in this place, but it is the money to relocate that is not available now."

More tales of woe

Major parts of the community, populated by over 10,000 residents, was affected by the flooding which left many homes flooded and heaped with sand and debris. Owode Road, the major link between the community and about 15 adjoining communities, including Lafiaji, Mopo Iwaju, Eleko, and Mopo Akinlade, was also flooded by the water, limiting trading in the community's chief occupations - fishing and farming.

Residents had to stay away from work for the day to clear their homes and assess the level of damage as many of them had lost important documents and domestic goods like electronic gadgets to the water. "I've been scooping the water out and trying to clean up the place for over five hours and I still have a long way to go," said Olatunji Kehinde, another resident, who could not put a figure on his loss. "This will take the whole day for me and I still don't know what my oga (boss) will do to me for staying away from work today." The Community's Residents' Association Secretary, Afeez Elegushi, said, "all road has been damaged, and it's making it difficult for our people to do business; government should please come to our aid."

Blame the government

The residents have, however, blamed the government for the continued incidence of flooding in the community, and its response to emergency situations was not spared either. The earliest government response came eight hours after the incidence, when a delegation from the Nigeria Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), led by the agency's Director of Environmental and Management Department, Juliana Gunwa, visited the community. "They are coming long after the damage has been done," said a resident, who did not wish to be named. "Anyone could have died long before now. We have so many little children in the community who were in danger, and anything could have happened to them."

Moreover, the residents claim that nothing has ever been done by the government to prevent the flooding from occurring in the area. Sixty-two-year-old Mufutau Ayodele, who traced the flooding back to his childhood days, said the government has never done anything about it in that period. "It's the community king, Ojomu Ilase of Ajiran Land, who has even been helping to block the sea with sand, to serve as embankments; we have not been seeing the work of the government so far," he said.

Addressing the community leaders, Mrs Gunwa said the delegation will make a "report" and take necessary actions. However, the Managing Director, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, promised to deploy the agency's officials to the community to render assistance. "You are just telling me; I will send my men there right away," he said.

Re: Alpha Beach Residents Flee Homes by bibiking1(m): 10:58am On Oct 26, 2010
Government! Government!! Government!!!, ,,,,,,,,,,When will we start doing things for ourselves?
Re: Alpha Beach Residents Flee Homes by Bawss1(m): 11:05am On Oct 26, 2010
Amazing , they live just by the Atlantic (in shanty houses judging by that picture) and expect the government to prevent flooding. Its understandable to complain about slow response of emergency services though. Anybody who has stayed in Nigeria for up to a day should know that depending on such services isn't the best option.
Re: Alpha Beach Residents Flee Homes by Nobody: 11:21am On Oct 26, 2010
Ovularia:

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/ArtsandCulture/x2/XFactor/Features/5633882-147/story.csp

By Gbenro Adeoye

October 26, 2010 02:14AM

Residents of Alpha Beach Village, a[b] seaside [/b]community in the Lekki area of Lagos, have fled from their homes following the annual flooding experienced by the community, due to the overflowing of the Atlantic Ocean.

The residents were reacting to the latest flooding, experienced on Monday, which invaded homes, hampered small-scale businesses and threatened their survival. According to them, the situation has failed to attract any response from state or federal emergency agencies. However, there was no casualty recorded in the incident. "This is the worst in recent times," said Caro Austin, a trader. "It started around 3am till day break, and we lost over N50,000 worth of goods to the flood. All the sacks of rice, beans and garri in the shop are soaked and the kegs of kerosene pushed down by the water have also spilled, spoiling everything; and this is only in the shop, it's another story at home." "Many people have left already for nearby communities," added Umughene Austin, Mrs Austin's husband and business partner. "We don't know what to do now and we don't even know where we will sleep tonight yet; we are already tired of living in this place, but it is the money to relocate that is not available now."

More tales of woe

Major parts of the community, populated by over 10,000 residents, was affected by the flooding which left many homes flooded and heaped with sand and debris. Owode Road, the major link between the community and about 15 adjoining communities, including Lafiaji, Mopo Iwaju, Eleko, and Mopo Akinlade, was also flooded by the water, limiting trading in the community's chief occupations - fishing and farming.

Residents had to stay away from work for the day to clear their homes and assess the level of damage as many of them had lost important documents and domestic goods like electronic gadgets to the water. "I've been scooping the water out and trying to clean up the place for over five hours and I still have a long way to go," said Olatunji Kehinde, another resident, who could not put a figure on his loss. "This will take the whole day for me and I still don't know what my oga (boss) will do to me for staying away from work today." The Community's Residents' Association Secretary, Afeez Elegushi, said, "all road has been damaged, and it's making it difficult for our people to do business; government should please come to our aid."

Blame the government

The residents have, however, blamed the government for the continued incidence of flooding in the community, and its response to emergency situations was not spared either. The earliest government response came eight hours after the incidence, when a delegation from the Nigeria Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), led by the agency's Director of Environmental and Management Department, Juliana Gunwa, visited the community. "They are coming long after the damage has been done," said a resident, who did not wish to be named. "Anyone could have died long before now. We have so many little children in the community who were in danger, and anything could have happened to them."

Moreover, the residents claim that nothing has ever been done by the government to prevent the flooding from occurring in the area. Sixty-two-year-old Mufutau Ayodele, who traced the flooding back to his childhood days, said the government has never done anything about it in that period. "It's the community king, Ojomu Ilase of Ajiran Land, who has even been helping to block the sea with sand, to serve as embankments; we have not been seeing the work of the government so far," he said.

Addressing the community leaders, Mrs Gunwa said the delegation will make a "report" and take necessary actions. However, the Managing Director, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, promised to deploy the agency's officials to the community to render assistance. "You are just telling me; I will send my men there right away," he said.

Is government responsible for the flooding ? i wonder why people living by seaside should still blame government for flooding ?
Re: Alpha Beach Residents Flee Homes by missuzoma: 12:09pm On Oct 26, 2010
What's up? This thread went to the front page for two minutes and disappeared; what is happening?

(1) (Reply)

Amcon Takes Off With Three Major Operational Policies / Senator Bukola Saraki Honoured For Achievements In Kwara State / We've Had The Arab Spring, Is The American Autumn Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.