Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,068 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

New Meme : Yaribansa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Meme : Yaribansa (3214 Views)

New Meme: Naira Is The New Shitcoin / The New Meme " NIGERIA HAS FINISHED US " Meme / Recent Nigerian Politics In Funny Meme Collections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Meme : Yaribansa by APCHaram: 6:52pm On Sep 01, 2019
Have you always thought about where the word Yoruba originate?? Have you heard many misconception and misapprehension that left you baffled?? That was what got hold of me too so I decided to dig into it.
What is the meaning of Yoruba? Does it have any inclination to our language? This is a thought provoking topic that needs profound reasoning and intense research for better understanding.

It is time we faced the monster that keeps trailing us whom many try to ignore. In Yoruba culture, appellation is often derived from a prerequisite factor or foretelling. For fact telling, some name their child Owolabi hoping the child will bring fortune to the family, another one is that almost all Yoruba towns have their names derived from an event or a factor as illustrated in; Eba-Odan – Ibadan, Abe Okuta Olumo – Abeokuta and Ibi ti Ile ti yo – Oyo and so forth. However, these factors appear not partake in the word Yoruba.

I asked a lot of people to define Yoruba, nobody had a clue so I decided to return to history and I delved into what Yoruba scholars of the past centuries had written. Slowly I began to unravel the mystery of our name.
The first hint I got was from an ordinary search which spouted Yoruba. What does that mean?? I carried on, I moved on to the always ready Yoruba dictionary written by Samuel Ajayi Crowther which defines ‘Yoruba’ as a bastard and deceitful person.

Another came from the one I found on a scholarly written journal of Dr Taiwo Ayanbolu who insisted Yoruba is a name derived from Hausa language which means deceit. He claimed he found the definition at York Museum in England dating to the 19th century.
Before I go further here, I would like to stress how the name came aboard. It has been recorded that the Hausa-Fulani who had been in contact with the Yoruba even before the rise of Oyo Empire had for some reasons chosen to call us Yoruba, or Yaribansa.

Perhaps this might have been a result of Yoruba people’s bargaining skills which often made the Fulani traders fall victim of trade by barter. Another one I stumbled on was narrated by another scholar who said the name Yoruba started protruding during the clash between Yoruba and Fulani that steered the lost of Ilorin to them in the 18th century.

The Igbos had cleansed themselves off ‘Yinmiri’, a name the Hausa-Fulani had technically given to them. The igbos have today refuted Yinmiri to be a derogatory word, however, the reverse is the case for the Yoruba. From findings I have made, Yaribansa is a Fulani word meaning Bastard. An extremely derogatory word in Yoruba discourse.

I read one of Professor Ade Ajayi’s book “Yoruba Warfare in the Nineteenth century” where he insisted that during the indirect rule era, it was necessary for the imperialists to give a unique name to the entire towns and people who spoke Yoruba language.

Somehow, they settled for Yoruba. Yoruba is a deviation of Yoruba which the Yoruba people of that century rejected. The Ijebu, Ijesa and Egba rejected this name vehemently but because during the Kiriji war (the Yoruba civil war) where the collapse of Oyo Empire commenced and the signalling factor the imperialists used to prompt the rule over Oyo from covers. The name Yoruba was foisted on Oyo and Ibadan mainly on documents and slowly the name Yoruba was enshrined in our culture and hence, our appellation.

Research shows that the Egba were the last to accept Yoruba as their appellation, reason coming from facts emanating from the first newspaper published in Yorubaland in 1859, goes: Iwe Iroyin Fun Ara Egba Ati Yoruba. This indicates that the Egba refused the name Yoruba as at 1859.

Furthermore, I have read the Odu Ifa and I have familiarised myself with many Ogede Ofo, Iwure and Ewi of the past generations and I have never heard where we were referred to as Yoruba, rather, as Omo Kaaro Ojiire, Omo Oduduwa or Omoluabi.

I am penning this for us to know the origin of the word Yoruba, it is a bitter pill to swallow especially now that the name has travelled far and wide, should we try to augment our appellation Yoruba? certainly too late to make any sort of modification. We might as well just carry on dealing with it.
Source & Written By: Bola Olalekan

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by aremuforlife(m): 7:40pm On Sep 01, 2019
If truly the writer is a Yoruba, I must confess he is a bastard."oruko ti o ba wuni laje leyin odi"
What is the meaning of Hausa or igbo?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by APCHaram: 7:54pm On Sep 01, 2019
aremuforlife:
If truly the writer is a Yoruba, I must confess he is a bastard."oruko ti o ba wuni laje leyin odi"
What is the meaning of Hausa or igbo?

Ajayi Crowther who compiled the first Yoruba dictionary made reference to the origin of the word Yoruba.

Can you tell me what Yoruba means?

Or how do you explain the Yoruba rejection of the general name Yoruba?

7 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by aremuforlife(m): 7:59pm On Sep 01, 2019
[/quote][quote author=APCHaram post=81825609]

Ajayi Crowther who compiled the first Yoruba dictionary made reference to the origin of the word Yoruba.

Can you tell me what Yoruba means?

Or how do you explain the Yoruba rejection of the general name Yoruba?
Same way Ajayi called the Esu deities a Yoruba ancestor the biblical Devil.
Yoruba is a name of a tribe, likewise other tribe's.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by helinues: 8:04pm On Sep 01, 2019
Omo ale Atowun rin wa narrating how Yoruba name came about..

There days are always incomplete without mentioning the list below;

Buhari
Tinubu
Yoruba
Apc
Fulani
Ruga

Meanwhile, their forgotten barren land have no history or record. The land is so barren that her people flocked enmass to the regions they always condemned.. What a pity!

I Before Others (Self centred and egocentric)

9 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by Charleys: 8:34pm On Sep 01, 2019
Yorubas are not Nigerians.
Yoruba word is an Hausa name given to slaves that were captured in the War that started in the 8th century.

Hugh Clapperton and Richard Lander. (1829).

Kiss the truth.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by EeyanMayweather(m): 8:37pm On Sep 01, 2019
Charleys:
Yorubas are not Nigerians.
You are a dumbass. No one is a Nigerian in the real sense.

6 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by Charleys: 8:38pm On Sep 01, 2019
EeyanMayweather:

You are a dumbass. No one is a Nigerian in the real sense.

Yorubas are more related to the Benin republic and Togolese than Nigerians.

Buhari even hypnotised you in this picture. When you look at this picture what do you see.

I see a man swinging a broom that is used for Ewedu soup. So because he held the broom.

I will believe he's on my side, that he loves Ewedu as much as I do. So I will vote for him. That's how easy you were all hypnotised.

11 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by APCHaram: 8:38pm On Sep 01, 2019
aremuforlife:

Same way Ajayi called the Esu deities a Yoruba ancestor the biblical Devil.
Yoruba is a name of a tribe, likewise other tribe's.

Your great grand fathers kicked against the label knowing fully well it's origins.

But here you are without any inclining of your history and accepting a derogatory label from your once enemies which ironically you serve as masters.

The capitulation of Oyo is complete already going by your acceptance of this label.

By the way, names have a way of moulding one's character - Yaribansa, the deceitful bastard is more than appropriate for you guys anyway.

4 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by EeyanMayweather(m): 8:41pm On Sep 01, 2019
The op is a known osu scum who has resigned to fate and has believed albeit wrongly that the great Yorubas are the reason for his generational poverty and hopelessness.

He is an ndigbolugi whose day isn't complete without stalking Asiwaju Tinubu or the Yorubas.
APCHaram is a sore loser like his late father.

May your tears never run dry because as e dey pepper you nah so e dey sweet me for here

11 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by APCHaram: 8:43pm On Sep 01, 2019
[s]
EeyanMayweather:
The op is a known osu scum who has resigned to fate and has believed albeit wrongly that the great Yorubas are the reason for his generational poverty and hopelessness.

He is an ndigbolugi whose day isn't complete without stalking Asiwaju Tinubu or the Yorubas.
APCHaram is a sore loser like his late father.

May your tears never run dry because as e dey pepper you nah so e dey sweet me for here
[/s]

Yaribansa!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by Charleys: 8:43pm On Sep 01, 2019
APCHaram:
[s][/s]

Yaribansa!

Hahahaha

2 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by aremuforlife(m): 8:45pm On Sep 01, 2019
APCHaram:

Your great grand fathers kicked against the label knowing fully well it's origins.

But here you are without any inclining of your history and accepting a derogatory label from your once enemies which ironically you serve as masters.

The capitulation of Oyo is complete already going by your acceptance of this label.

By the way, names have a way of moulding one's character - Yaribansa, the deceitful bastard is more than appropriate for you guys anyway.
I fool will always been known by his/her words.
You have no reason or what so ever to say rubbish about the name of a tribe.
Can you tell me the meaning of the name if your tribe

2 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by APCHaram: 8:45pm On Sep 01, 2019
Charleys:

Hahahaha

Yaribansa will henceforth replace Oyoruba which replaced Afonja

The meme generator has spoken

3 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by APCHaram: 8:46pm On Sep 01, 2019
[s]
aremuforlife:

You have know reason or what so ever to say rubbish about the name of a tribe.
[/s]

What is the meaning of Yoruba?

4 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by EeyanMayweather(m): 8:47pm On Sep 01, 2019
Charleys:

Yorubas are more related to the Benin republic and Togolese than Nigerians.

Buhari even hypnotised you in this picture. When you look at this picture what do you see.

I see a man swinging a broom that is used for Ewedu soup. So because he held the broom.

I will believe he's on my side, that he loves Ewedu as much as I do.
Yeah...Yorubas definitely have nothing in common with the savages up north nor the barbarians east of the Niger river.
You rag headed Ndigbolugis are the real Nigerians nah. No wonder the blood of your forebears was used to water the plant of the fake unity of this country.

Osus are the real Nigerians indeed....hahahahahahahaha grin cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by APCHaram: 8:49pm On Sep 01, 2019
EeyanMayweather:

Yeah, you are ...Yorubas definitely have nothing in common with the savages up north nor the barbarians east of the Niger river.
You rag headed Ndigbolugis are the real Nigerians nah. No wonder the blood of your forebears was used to water the plant of the fake unity of this country.

Osus are the real Nigerians indeed....hahahahahahahaha grin cheesy

Yaribansa, you are yet to tell me what Yoruba means in Yaribansa language.

3 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by EeyanMayweather(m): 8:50pm On Sep 01, 2019
APCHaram:
[s][/s]

Yaribansa!
Osu Ndigbolugi cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by APCHaram: 8:52pm On Sep 01, 2019
EeyanMayweather:

Osu Ndigbolugi cheesy

Be proud of your fulani handed name. But pray tell, why did you Yaribansas changed the name to Yoruba? You deceitful banzas are always too sneaky.

3 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by EeyanMayweather(m): 8:53pm On Sep 01, 2019
APCHaram:

Yaribansa, you are yet to tell me what Yoruba means in Yaribansa language.

I'll do that after you tell me how you ragheaded mofos came to be known as "osu ndigbolugi"... grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by APCHaram: 8:55pm On Sep 01, 2019
EeyanMayweather:

I'll do that after you tell me how you ragheaded mofos came to be known as "osu ndigbolugi"... grin cheesy

Henceforth Yaribansa replaces Oyoruba which replaced Afonja

Feel the meme.

Feed it with your anger so it can grow.

Yaribansa

2 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by EeyanMayweather(m): 8:55pm On Sep 01, 2019
APCHaram:

Be proud of your fulani handed name. But pray tell, why did you Yaribansas changed the name to Yoruba? You deceitful banzas are always too sneaky.
Osu scum..
When will you savages tell me the meaning of the Ndigbolugi that was originally handed to you

Mr APCharam, the poster boy of the osu ndigbolugi race cool

5 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by EeyanMayweather(m): 8:56pm On Sep 01, 2019
APCHaram:

Henceforth Yaribansa replaces Oyoruba which replaced Afonja

Feel the meme.

Feed it with your anger so it can grow.

Yaribansa
Osu Ndigbolugi... What a name !!!!
Go figure tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by EeyanMayweather(m): 8:57pm On Sep 01, 2019
APCHaram:
[s][/s]

What is the meaning of Yoruba?
Osu Ndigbolugi you meant

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by Charleys: 8:58pm On Sep 01, 2019
EeyanMayweather:

Osu scum..
When will you savages tell me the meaning of the Ndigbolugi that was originally handed to you

Mr APCharam, the poster boy of the osu ndigbolugi race cool

What kind of funny name is ndigbolugi.

It doesn't exist anywhere. Where did you get it from. I posted my source.

I just checked it out, it's a Yoruba name originally from KEMI olunyolo if I'm correct.

1 Like

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by EeyanMayweather(m): 8:59pm On Sep 01, 2019
OSU scum, I'll do a lil historical review of the origin of the word 'NDIGBOLUGI' when I'm free

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by Hypnotism: 9:00pm On Sep 01, 2019
When you have a foolish tribe deviled with chronic bigotry, irredeemable hate n extreme foolishness What else is there to expect from this foolish poto people. If we talk mod no gree make we talk.

helinues:
Omo ale Atowun rin wa narrating how Yoruba name came about..

There days are always incomplete without mentioning the list below;

Buhari
Tinubu
Yoruba
Apc
Fulani
Ruga

Meanwhile, their forgotten barren land have no history or record. The land is so barren that her people flocked enmass to the regions they always condemned.. What a pity!

I Before Others (Self centred and egocentric)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by EeyanMayweather(m): 9:01pm On Sep 01, 2019
Charleys:

What kind of funny name is ndigbolugi.

It doesn't exist anywhere. Where did you get it from. I posted my source.
Are you mad or something
I'm an authority on this subject matter. grin cheesy
Who are you to question my source
Go and ask the oldest loser in your family the meaning of the word "Osu Ndigbolugi...Thank me later
Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by Charleys: 9:02pm On Sep 01, 2019
EeyanMayweather:

Are you mad or something
I'm an authority on this subject matter. grin cheesy
Who are you to question my source
Go and ask the oldest loser in your family the meaning of the word "Osu Ndigbolugi...Thank me later

That name does not exist anywhere. It was made popular by Kemi olunyolo.

But check mine it has a source.

Yoruba word is an Hausa name given to slaves that were captured in the War that started in the 8th century.

Hugh Clapperton and Richard Lander. (1829).

Kiss the truth.

3 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by EeyanMayweather(m): 9:03pm On Sep 01, 2019
aremuforlife:

You have no reason or what so ever to say rubbish about the name of a tribe.
Uncle Aremu.
Leave the loser for me.
I'm catching cruise with him..
APCHaram, hope you are enjoying your thread because I'm enjoying it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by APCHaram: 9:03pm On Sep 01, 2019
Yaribanese are just wailing dah Fck out in this thread.

5 Likes

Re: New Meme : Yaribansa by APCHaram: 9:04pm On Sep 01, 2019
EeyanMayweather:

Uncle Aremu.
Leave the loser for me.
I'm catching cruise with him..
APCHaram, hope you are enjoying your thread because I'm enjoying it

Yeah me too, the Yaribanese tears are so salty sweet

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IPOB Stage Peaceful Protest In Owerri(pictures) / IPOB/ESN Burns Man Alive Calls Him Saboteur - VIDEO / Unknown Gunmen Storm Police Station In Imo State, Behead Two Policemen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.