Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,450 members, 7,819,663 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk (44456 Views)

Kane, Van Diyk, Neuer, Others Bow To FIFA; Will Not Put On The One Love Armband / Van Diyk Loses His First Premier League Game At Anfield After 4 Years / Lewandowski Beats Ronaldo And Messi To 2020 FIFA Best Men's Player Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Asour: 5:12pm On Sep 02, 2019
Beverlyjean:

Ronaldo...top scorer for 6 consecutive years in the champions League

He was joint-top scorer in 14/2015 though , you should mention that.

He was rewarded with the ballon dor/FIFA player in all but. 2015 & 2017/18.

That is, there was only one time (2018) when he was the sole top scorer in UCL and NOT the Ballondor/FIFA player of the year which was last year.

Otherwise he was awarded in 5 of the 6 years when he was the sole top scorer — including the year he didn't win the UCL (2013).
Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by BroadStreetBull(m): 5:15pm On Sep 02, 2019
DrayZee:
[s]All these Messi fans making noise here. Messi's season this year isn't as good as Ronaldo's last year.

Ronaldo was either the best or second best in Champions league, La Liga and the World Cup. He was robbed of every single thing and everybody acted as if they didn't see what was happening. Scored bicycle kick goal that trended worldwide for days, but they gave the award to Salah for a goal that nobody even remembers. The whole world went against Ronaldo and Messi fans were celebrating.

Now Messi comes with his usual La Liga stats, failing both internationally as well as in the Champions league (as usual), but his fans think it's their noise and stupid stat padding that will win him awards. Nonsense.

This award is between Van Dijk and Cristiano Ronaldo, and Ronaldo won more trophies than Van Dijk. We know who the winner is[/s].
Nonsense!

Arrant Nonsense!!

The fact that Messi's brilliance has led Barca to la liga title, after la liga title, after la liga title shouldn't make you guys disrespect and underrate the Spanish league.

The 5 biggest trophies up for grabs last season in order where;

1. UEFA champions league.
2. EPL/ La Liga.
3. German Bundesliga.
4. Italian Serie A.
5. Copa America.

Messi;

1. Won La Liga.
2. Won the Spanish Super Cup.
2. Won the Pichichi.
3. Won the European Golden Shoe.
4. Won the Champions league Golden boot.
5. Highest Assists last season.
6. Copa America Bronze medal.
7. Best player in La Liga.

If you are not trolling and sincerely think that Ronaldo had a better season than Messi then you just need to consume sniper and end it all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Astark: 5:16pm On Sep 02, 2019
Sanchez01:

I am a fan of the La Liga and barely watch the EPL. Goals are easier scored in the Spanish La Liga than anything. However, this is not an attempt at rubbishing the feats of Messi and his performances. We have always known Messi tends to disappear in matches that matter the most, other than the El Clasico. The season before the last, it was a similar comeback loss at the hands of Roma and then almost the same thing against Liverpool. Commentators even mentioned it that Ronaldo would not be in the Barca team and experience such disasters. His Copa outing was much worse. For a touted World Best to score just a goal from the penalty spot with a team as Argentina goes on to tell a lot.

My point is, of the three, Messi does not deserve it. This isn't about his La Liga performance but his all-round performance in a football year. The Liverpool comeback and the Copa, I believe, have blighted his chances save the regular PDP antics kick in again.

typical rapenaldo fans always shifting goal post. Why is hazard and other over hyped england players finding it hard to perform in LA liga? You said LA liga is easier to score but look at barca without messi.

Just because messi had one bad game against Liverpool so he's a failure, compare ronaldo to messi and see how huge fraud ronaldo his
Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 02, 2019
mvem:
VVD will win it
VVD has won it already.. .
New Modric??

Courtois will win the next FIFA best player award..

A goalkeeper turn!!!
Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by smartoliver(m): 5:17pm On Sep 02, 2019
Astark:
messi has set the standard so high that winning LA liga, Spanish cup and copa dey rel is seen as normal, they aren't even mentioning the Spanish cup messi won. Messi been top scorer is seen as normal, his most assist provider is seen as normal.

Just imagine if someone like sadio mane was EPL top scorer, most assist provider, champions league top scorer and most assist provider. He would have won all individual awards but since it's messi, they Will think it's SMall feat

You dey mind these people? until he retires and people start celebrating players scoring just 30 goals a season, that's when they'd know the feats matched by Ronaldo and Messi over the years ain't as easy. Poor Messi... A victim of his own successes. Mtcheew. Nigerians and their biased point of view is always overt during discussions involving Messi and cr7

1 Like

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by mvem(m): 5:17pm On Sep 02, 2019
eni4real:
VVD has won it already.. .
New Modric??

Courtois will win the next FIFA best player award..

A goalkeeper turn!!!
Allison if you wan call GK
Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 02, 2019
Sanchez01:

You should be saying this about Messi. He was in the team that fell hard in one of the most intriguing comeback in the Champions League history. His COPA outing was the same as the years before and he only managed to score a goal which was a penalty in the entire tourney.

No assist, no bronze medal??
Failed tournament like Nigeria in the Nation's Cup!!
Don't forget VARsil too!!
Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 02, 2019
mvem:
Allison if you wan call GK
Not this award..
Next award!!
Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Ladotrader(m): 5:19pm On Sep 02, 2019
mvem:
seems you dont understand the pattern... Abi na September 23

Bro today is 2september
And you can explain for to understand bro
Nobody knows everything finish

1 Share

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 02, 2019
Beverlyjean:

Ronaldo...top scorer for 6 consecutive years in the champions League
before VAR was introduced!!! tongue

3 Likes

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by BroadStreetBull(m): 5:25pm On Sep 02, 2019
Sanchez01:

I am a fan of the La Liga and barely watch the EPL. Goals are easier scored in the Spanish La Liga than anything. However, this is not an attempt at rubbishing the feats of Messi and his performances. We have always known Messi tends to disappear in matches that matter the most, other than the El Clasico. The season before the last, it was a similar comeback loss at the hands of Roma and then almost the same thing against Liverpool. Commentators even mentioned it that Ronaldo would not be in the Barca team and experience such disasters. His Copa outing was much worse. For a touted World Best to score just a goal from the penalty spot with a team as Argentina goes on to tell a lot.

My point is, of the three, Messi does not deserve it. This isn't about his La Liga performance but his all-round performance in a football year. The Liverpool comeback and the Copa, I believe, have blighted his chances save the regular PDP antics kick in again.

What do you mean by matches that matter the most?

1. So against Tottenham at Wembley when Barca needed to top the group so the match did not matter the most.?
2. So against Man U in the quarter finals when they needed to make it to the Semi final and Messi destroyed them the match did not matter the most?
3. So against Liverpool in the first leg when Barca needed to take a big lead and Messi destroyed them so it did not matter the most?

There is no such thing as "matter the most"

Every match a team is currently playing is the match that matters the most.
If Man U had eliminated Barca wouldn't you have called it the match that mattered the most?

Individually Messi shiiit in every other player in the world last season.

2 Likes

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by mvem(m): 5:26pm On Sep 02, 2019
Ladotrader:

Bro today is 2september
And you can explain for to understand bro
Nobody knows everything finish
I mean the award is 23rd September
Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by mvem(m): 5:26pm On Sep 02, 2019
eni4real:
Not this award..
Next award!!
I understand
Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 02, 2019
Sanchez01:

How come Ronaldo's team was eliminated by teenagers in the last UCL?? Since you make it sound like Ronaldo's team never lose a match!!!
You think he is still in Madrid like those times when VAR has not been Introduced??
No anyhow penalty again... You lose, then you lose!!!

Messi lost because Minnows like Origi destroyed Barcelona's defence... That is fate.. There is nothing he could do.. He gave his best.. It is not possible for any player to score in all games in the entire history of football... He created chances but Suarez (Mr 10 games drought) could not convert it...

Anti Messi fans see Valverde as an excellent coach, Suarez as the best in form, Coutinho as the World best, but Messi as a failure!!!
I think you guys are another fan base of Messi grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Nobody: 5:31pm On Sep 02, 2019
BroadStreetBull:
Nonsense!

Arrant Nonsense!!

The fact that Messi's brilliance has led Barca to la liga title, after la liga title, after la liga title shouldn't make you guys disrespect and underrate the Spanish league.

The 5 biggest trophies up for grabs last season in order where;

1. UEFA champions league.
2. EPL/ La Liga.
3. German Bundesliga.
4. Italian Serie A.
5. Copa America.

Messi;

1. Won La Liga.
2. Won the Spanish Super Cup.
2. Won the Pichichi.
3. Won the European Golden Shoe.
4. Won the Champions league Golden boot.
5. Highest Assists last season.
6. Copa America Bronze medal.
7. Best player in La Liga.

If you are not trolling and sincerely think that Ronaldo had a better season than Messi then you just need to consume sniper and end it all.
Ha shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Ladotrader(m): 5:32pm On Sep 02, 2019
mvem:
I mean the award is 23rd September

The one that's was awarded to van dijk was UEFA Best player not Fifa best men....
So I hope you understand me
The one van dijk collected, was where Ronaldo ,invited Messi for lunch..or wish Sha

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Sanchez01: 5:32pm On Sep 02, 2019
Astark:
typical rapenaldo fans always shifting goal post. Why is hazard and other over hyped england players finding it hard to perform in LA liga? You said LA liga is easier to score but look at barca without messi.

Just because messi had one bad game against Liverpool so he's a failure, compare ronaldo to messi and see how huge fraud ronaldo his
Some of you write like you had your brain fingered before punching your virtual keypad or whatever it is you write with. Has Hazard debuted in La Liga at all? Or the ICC is your definition of La Liga now?

Lol! You call a massive comeback a bad game. How about Roma's comeback against the same Barca team which had Messi in it; it is another bad game, yeah?

This is why I am very selective at mentioning when it comes to football because the lots of you who bask in your cluelessness do so with shame. Has Barca been scoring, yes or yes? I'm sure you were one of those who claimed Barca had resurrected after match day 2.

I have been following the La Liga since 2000 and I know fairly well that goal ratios per game in the league is 3.45 as opposed to what is found in other leagues.

A 'horrible striker, winger or forward' in Madrid or Barcelona, averagely would find the back of the net 25-30 times a season while the best English striker, forward or winger for a particular season won't even get to 40.

I'm a Madridista but not a fan of Hazard. What I do know however is that he'd have a field day when he shakes off his injury and face the season proper.

2 Likes

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Seunnzy(m): 5:34pm On Sep 02, 2019
topsam1:
so Mane with 2 assists last season should win it abi... VVD all the way shaa
lol see talk..how many assist did modric have to win last season's
Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Sanchez01: 5:35pm On Sep 02, 2019
eni4real:
No assist, no bronze medal??
Failed tournament like Nigeria in the Nation's Cup!!
Don't forget VARsil too!!
Without checking on Google, kindly mention the number of times Messi ended up as second best in the Ballon D'Or vs the number of times he won it. This will show you history does not and will not regard second best or third best in tourneys and awards.

Modified at 5:41PM

So you could not respond even though you're online. Six minutes wasn't enough to save you just by mentioning the number of times Messi came second best or third best? The bulk of you are what I refer to as' Up Chelsea Boys'.

1 Like

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 02, 2019
Astark:
What the Bleep is ronaldo doing there? Mhen this award is a Scam

Messi shouldn't be there too

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 02, 2019
yungsmart:

Aswear he does not worth it, when there is mane, Bernardo Silva, Allison.
It is just for marketing purpose, Ronaldo is just the luckiest player

Messi is lucky too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Sanchez01: 5:40pm On Sep 02, 2019
eni4real:
How come Ronaldo's team was eliminated by teenagers in the last UCL?? Since you make it sound like Ronaldo's team never lose a match!!!
You think he is still in Madrid like those times when VAR has not been Introduced??

Messi lost because Minnows like Origi destroyed Barcelona's defence... That is fate.. There is nothing he could do.. He gave his best.. It is not possible for any player to score in all games in the entire history of football... He created chances but Suarez (Mr 10 games drought) could not convert it...

Anti Messi fans see Valverde as an excellent coach, Suarez as the best in form, Coutinho as the World best, but Messi as a failure!!!
Apparently, you are cluessless or you just started watching football yesterday. There is no such thing as 'teenagers' in football so long it is a senior tournament. The teenagers you downplay eliminated Real Madrid in a shocking way. I'm sure you have forgotten it is called the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.

Your arguments naturally drain me because they don't make sense. There are tons of highlights I could pick from this Peppersoup and beer parlour logic of yours but I'm sapped as it is.

I'm talking comebacks, you're talking nonsense...

2 Likes

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by mvem(m): 5:46pm On Sep 02, 2019
Ladotrader:

The one that's was awarded to van dijk was UEFA Best player not Fifa best men....
So I hope you understand me
The one van dijk collected, was where Ronaldo ,invited Messi for lunch..or wish Sha
oga no be today I dey watch ball...i know UEFA best , fifa best and ballon dor...FIFA best/ballon dor was actually one award before separated recently
Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Suspect33(m): 5:47pm On Sep 02, 2019
Sanchez01:

Apparently, you are cluessless or you just started watching football yesterday. There is no such thing as 'teenagers' in football so long it is a senior tournament. The teenagers you downplay eliminated Real Madrid in a shocking way. I'm sure you have forgotten it is called the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.

Your arguments naturally drain me because they don't make sense. There are tons of highlights I could pick from this Peppersoup and beer parlour logic of yours but I'm sapped as it is.

It's Sanchez again grin grin
Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 02, 2019
Sanchez01:

Some of you write like you had your brain fingered before punching your virtual keypad or whatever it is you write with. Has Hazard debuted in La Liga at all? Or the ICC is your definition of La Liga now?

Lol! You call a massive comeback a bad game. How about Roma's comeback against the same Barca team which had Messi in it; it is another bad game, yeah?

This is why I am very selective at mentioning when it comes to football because the lots of you who bask in your cluelessness do so with shame. Has Barca been scoring, yes or yes? I'm sure you were one of those who claimed Barca had resurrected after match day 2.

I have been following the La Liga since 2000 and I know fairly well that goal ratios per game in the league is 3.45 as opposed to what is found in other leagues.

A 'horrible striker, winger or forward' in Madrid or Barcelona, averagely would find the back of the net 25-30 times a season while the best English striker, forward or winger for a particular season won't even get to 40.

I'm a Madridista but not a fan of Hazard. What I do know however is that he'd have a field day when he shakes off his injury and face the season proper.
Even in the galacticos era, Pichichi winner never near 30 LA liga goals a season.. Ronaldo fenomeno won Pichichi with 26 goals..

Messi and Ronaldo took goal to a higher level...

If it easier to score 40 League goals, how come no other players have been able to do that in the last 100 years in La Liga??

For European Golden boot, highest goal recorded for the trophy is 50 league goals scored by Messi followed by another season of 48 league goals scored by Cristiano

Even Gerd Muller, Eusebio, and Pippin could not reach that figure despite playing In a supposed weaker league in their prolific era!! What Messi and Cristiano did is at GOAT level.. We should thank internet and Digital TV for the witness..
May be we will still be worshiping Rashidi Yekini as the most prolific player in history, if we are still in a pre - Internet age like in the late 90's!!!

What Messi is doing in La Liga is not normal at all

Even in 2008, Cristiano won the European Golden shoe with 31 goals grin How come the Pichichi winner didn't score more at that time, since it is easier to score many goals in La Liga??

Torres was a beast in La Liga, became super beast in EPL of course until in Chelsea

Aguero was a beast in La Liga, became super beast in the EPL, he is a legend already!!

David Silva, Yaya Toure etc...

It is not about the League, it is about the individual. ..

Any great player will be outstanding in any League...

If Messi join Man city today, he will still win a lot of trophies there and score 40 goals a season,. Yes.. Afterall Egyptian Messi scored 44 total goals a season!!!
Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 02, 2019
Sanchez01:

grin grin grin
You want the truth on your side but you don't want to be on the side of the truth!!!

De ligt finished Juventus. He is 19 years old!!!

Teenagers eliminated Juventus with Ronaldo. Since you said he doesn't get defeated when his team need him most... tongue

1 Like

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by BroadStreetBull(m): 5:52pm On Sep 02, 2019
eni4real:
Even in the galacticos era, Pichichi winner never near 30 LA liga goals a season.. Ronaldo fenomeno won Pichichi with 26 goals..

Messi and Ronaldo took goal to a higher level...

If it easier to score 40 League goals, how come no other players have been able to do that in the last 100 years in La Liga??

For European Golden boot, highest goal recorded for the trophy is 50 league goals scored by Messi followed by another season of 48 league goals scored by Cristiano

Even Gerd Muller, Eusebio, and Pippin could not reach that figure despite playing In a supposed weaker league in their prolific era!! What Messi and Cristiano did is at GOAT level.. We should thank internet and Digital TV for the witness..
May be we will still be worshiping Rashidi Yekini as the most prolific player in history, if we are still in a pre - Internet age like in the late 90's!!!

What Messi is doing in La Liga is not normal at all

Even in 2008, Cristiano won the European Golden shoe with 31 goals grin How come the Pichichi winner didn't score more at that time, since it is easier to score many goals in La Liga??

Torres was a beast in La Liga, became super beast in EPL of course until in Chelsea

Aguero was a beast in La Liga, became super beast in the EPL, he is a legend already!!

David Silva, Yaya Toure etc...

It is not about the League, it is about the individual. ..

Any great player will be outstanding in any League...

If Messi join Man city today, he will still win a lot of trophies there and score 40 goals a season,. Yes.. Afterall Egyptian Messi scored 44 total goals a season!!!
50 league goals!

73 in a season!!

91 in a year!!!

Insane numbers.

Even Ronaldo can't compete with this.

1 Like

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 02, 2019
Sanchez01:

Without checking on Google, kindly mention the number of times Messi ended up as second best in the Ballon D'Or vs the number of times he won it. This will show you history does not and will not regard second best or third best in tourneys and awards.

Modified at 5:41PM

So you could not respond even though you're online. Six minutes wasn't enough to save you just by mentioning the number of times Messi came second best or third best? The bulk of you are what I refer to as' Up Chelsea Boys'.
All I know is that he is only player to win 4 consecutive Ballon d'or!!!

We may not see another player that will achieve that feat...

But according to you, he should win all the Ballon d'or because Ronaldo is a dunce tongue
Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Nobody: 5:56pm On Sep 02, 2019
BroadStreetBull:
50 league goals!

73 in a season!!

91 in a year!!!

Insane numbers.

Even Ronaldo can't compete with this.
Familiarity breeds contempt. .

Some people should be stripped of Internet and digital TV..

They should be taken back to the era when Rashidi Yekini was their GOAT!!!

They don't know that no player in history has registered the stat from Messi and Cristiano!!

Disrespectful fans!!!

2 Likes

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by BroadStreetBull(m): 5:58pm On Sep 02, 2019
eni4real:

I don't know why those dudes are obsessed with pointing out what Messi did not do and leaving out what Messi did.

What about the Ronaldo?

He lost the Copa Italia.

He lost the champions league.

Portugal without Ronaldo made it all the way to the semi final of the UEFA Nations League. He has a great match in the semi final.

Bernado and Guedes destroyed Netherlands in the final.

What exactly did Ronaldo do apart from winning Serie A which Juve had won for 7 years on a trot?

1 Like

Re: FIFA The Best Men's Player Award Finalists: Ronaldo, Messi, Virgil Van Diyk by Sanchez01: 6:00pm On Sep 02, 2019
Suspect33:
It's Sanchez again grin grin
grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lionel Messi, His Wife And Two Sons (Photo) / Footballer Slumps, Dies During Match In Anambra (Video) / Mikel Obi Scores His First Premier League Goal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.