Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,667 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

Why Faith Is Delusional - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Faith Is Delusional (10418 Views)

Why Faith Is An Unreliable Way Of Determining Truth / See Why Faith Healers Can't Be Employed By Hospitals / Faith Is A Race, Run Your Own (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by shadeyinka(m): 12:26pm On Sep 09, 2019
budaatum:

"The fool says in his heart", but some think they see into the heart from the words they read, rather lazily at that. Is it not the truth that you had to work to understand my words before seeing a glimpse of my heart?

Atheists are no more fools than a Christian who loves not and lacks charity, for they too say in their hearts, "there is no God", even when the words of their mouth is Lord Lord.

Everyone here who writes a word about God has a "living conscience", and just by being here is seeking the conviction of the Holy Spirit, so I have faith that everyone here will find. Just don't be surprised if the findings don't look as expected by some.
I will take it that behind the outward show of brag, that the Atheist still has a conscience.
It's ok then to chip in the plan of the gospel once in a while

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by shadeyinka(m): 12:27pm On Sep 09, 2019
MrPresident1:

Yeah, we look forward to a new heavens and a new earth; of the firstfruits and the mixed multitude.
Of course!
Stay Blessed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by shadeyinka(m): 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2019
budaatum:

You indeed do understand my riddle speak. Goes to show it's not in the quantity of the reading but in the quality of the understanding. And yes, we Nigerians should read more. And it starts with those who know how to create with Words. And its why I rejoice when I'm here reading all you writers, both the atheist and the theist, sharpening each others irons and building people of power.

We will get to a point where the lambs will dwell with the lions and Paul and Apollo do not matter and no one will be against the other because we quench each others [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+9%3A38-41&version=NIV]thirst[/url].

I am honestly looking forward to when this examination here on earth will end and the final Sabbath commence.

Till then, Maranatha!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by malvisguy212: 7:46pm On Sep 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

I am honestly looking forward to when this examination here on earth will end and the final Sabbath commence.

Till then, Maranatha!
you have done Justice to this thread, the self proclaimed militants atheists , you have silent them, the bully atheist are no were to be found, the atheists may deny it, but the Truth is people walk by FAITH EVERYDAY including atheists .When you drive in your car you TRUST the brakes and you BELIEVE that when you need to stop suddenly your brakes will work, but sometimes, break do failed us.

FAITH IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE OBJECT (person or thing) IN WHICH IT IS PLACED!!! Is it possible to trust
something or someone that will never fail us? Is there someone that we can put our faith in who will never disappoint us or let us down?

Without faith there is no salvation, salvation is NOT 'what a man is doing' salvation is what God has DONE! Michellekabod2 God has already done it for you before you were born.

2 Likes

Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by shadeyinka(m): 8:07pm On Sep 09, 2019
malvisguy212:
you have done Justice to this thread, the self proclaimed militants atheists , you have silent them, the bully atheist are no were to be found, the atheists may deny it, but the Truth is people walk by FAITH EVERYDAY including atheists .When you drive in your car you TRUST the brakes and you BELIEVE that when you need to stop suddenly your brakes will work, but sometimes, break do failed us.

FAITH IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE OBJECT (person or thing) IN WHICH IT IS PLACED!!! Is it possible to trust
something or someone that will never fail us? Is there someone that we can put our faith in who will never disappoint us or let us down?

Without faith there is no salvation, salvation is NOT 'what a man is doing' salvation is what God has DONE! Michellekabod2 God has already done it for you before you were born.
You nailed it on the head.

Atheists deny the spirit realm of which they don't know they are pawns and slaves in. In Satan's kingdom running errands (for the spirit they claim doesn't exist).

Check all over, Atheists rarely attack other religions apart from Christianity or broadly the God of Abraham. Only after they die would they see their foolishness.

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by malvisguy212: 8:19pm On Sep 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

Atheists deny the spirit realm of which they don't know they are pawns and slaves in. In Satan's kingdom running errands (for the spirit they claim doesn't exist).

Check all over, Atheists rarely attack other religions apart from Christianity or broadly the God of Abraham. Only after they die would they see their foolishness.
Their unbelief will not stop God from existing . God bless my brother
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by LordReed(m): 8:36pm On Sep 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

Go listen to Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris if you want militant atheist attacks on Islam.
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 09, 2019
malvisguy212:

Lol I ignored the thread because of the derailing and strawmans created by you theists.. silenced who? You theists remain a butt-joke to me. The thread hijacked by your likes to obfuscate was left for you and I stopped following the thread . ..
Jubiliate as long as you can around a bonfire..all you put up there is a pile of horse poo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by MuttleyLaff: 9:18pm On Sep 09, 2019
Michellekabod2:
Lol I ignored the thread because of the derailing and strawmans created by you theists.. silenced who? You theists remain a butt-joke to me. The thread hijacked by your likes to obfuscate was left for you and I stopped following the thread . ..
Jubiliate as long as you can around a bonfire..all you put up there is a pile of horse poo
Lol and grinning at the above emboldened. I love reading good, very good pile of horse poo
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by shadeyinka(m): 10:00pm On Sep 09, 2019
LordReed:

Go listen to Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris if you want militant atheist attacks on Islam.
I didn't say Atheists don't attack other religions. Specifically they prefer to debunk Christianity and once the can succeed, the rest is a walk over. Islam has a place in arguments because it claims to be an Abrahamic religion
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by LordReed(m): 10:01pm On Sep 09, 2019
Michellekabod2:

They like making stuff up in their head and believe it fervently, its a hallmark. LoL

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by LordReed(m): 10:05pm On Sep 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

I didn't say Atheists don't attack other religions. Specifically they prefer to debunk Christianity and once the can succeed, the rest is a walk over. Islam has a place in arguments because it claims to be an Abrahamic religion

You probably haven't heard any of the 3 I mentioned eviscerate Islam. Go on YouTube and just search for any of their names and Islam then you will change your mind on this topic. And be sure they are not the only ones out there doing so, there are ex-muslims out there also speaking out against Islam. Don't remain in your little corner and think you've heard it all.
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by shadeyinka(m): 10:13pm On Sep 09, 2019
LordReed:

You probably haven't heard any of the 3 I mentioned eviscerate Islam. Go on YouTube and just search for any of their names and Islam then you will change your mind on this topic. And be sure they are not the only ones out there doing so, there are ex-muslims out there also speaking out against Islam. Don't remain in your little corner and think you've heard it all.
Do you know Naik Zakir. He has debated a few Atheists. I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I've read an argument between an atheist and a Buddhist before on an Indian Atheist site. What I'm saying is the the most attack is on Christians
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by Nobody: 10:15pm On Sep 09, 2019
LordReed:

They like making stuff up in their head and believe it fervently, its a hallmark. LoL
There are probably somersaulting around a bonfire over our defeat, unbeknownst to them we ignore them because we can't dignify the discussions of clowns with our presence
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by LordReed(m): 10:19pm On Sep 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

Do you know Naik Zakir. He has debated a few Atheists. I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I've read an argument between an atheist and a Buddhist before on an Indian Atheist site. What I'm saying is the the most attack is on Christians

Well, Christianity is the largest religion isn't it?
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

atheists attack mostly the religion they came out from. Majority,if not all you see on this forum attacking Christianity were former Christians. I rarely see people convert from Islam to atheism,most times is Islam to another religion
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by shadeyinka(m): 10:24pm On Sep 09, 2019
LordReed:

Well, Christianity is the largest religion isn't it?
It's the toughest bone to crack.

But on a serious note, I feel an agnostic don't really have a basis for debating a "gnostic Christian". The agnostic doesn't have enough information to finally finally conclude that God doesn't exist.

I think the proper thing an Agnostic should do is to seek knowledge until he finds it. Not to conclude on a matter while his data isn't complete.

What do you think?
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by shadeyinka(m): 10:27pm On Sep 09, 2019
Michellekabod2:
atheists attack mostly the religion they came out from. Majority,if not all you see on this forum attacking Christianity were former Christians. I rarely see people convert from Islam to atheism,most times is Islam to another religion
I agree with you but if you look at the ferocity of attacks, I think its heavier towards the Christians. I wonder how Buddhists are even able to stand five minutes of debate....too many things out of place
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by LordReed(m): 10:36pm On Sep 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

It's the toughest bone to crack.

But on a serious note, I feel an agnostic don't really have a basis for debating a "gnostic Christian". The agnostic doesn't have enough information to finally finally conclude that God doesn't exist.

I think the proper thing an Agnostic should do is to seek knowledge until he finds it. Not to conclude on a matter while his data isn't complete.

What do you think?

It almost seems like whatever someone tells you just enters one eye and flies out the other. Where did I tell you I'm out to conclude that a god doesn't exist? I wonder how many times I will tell you that the question is where is the evidence for your god?
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by budaatum: 10:38pm On Sep 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

I agree with you but if you look at the ferocity of attacks, I think its heavier towards the Christians. I wonder how Buddhists are even able to stand five minutes of debate....too many things out of place
Pretty well actually, especially if they are well versed in it, though an odd debate since Buddhists don't exactly do or not do gods.
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by LordReed(m): 10:47pm On Sep 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

You really need to listen to Sam or Richard or Chris go after Islam, Sam and Chris especially you will think suicide bomber is about to blow them up the next minute.
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by shadeyinka(m): 10:59pm On Sep 09, 2019
LordReed:

It almost seems like whatever someone tells you just enters one eye and flies out the other. Where did I tell you I'm out to conclude that a god doesn't exist? I wonder how many times I will tell you that the question is where is the evidence for your god?

You are misunderstanding me. You said you don't believe in a creator God because such a God has not been convincingly demonstrated
which is different from a gnostic position of I know God doesn't exist.

The fact that you haven't seen any evidence for God doesn't absolve you from finding evidence against His existence. Those athirst who know God doesn't exist have their reasons (based on whatever)

Let me give you an example probably you'll understand my position.
A.
I don't believe there is HIV because, it has not been convincingly demonstrated.
The fact that I don't believe in the existence of HIV proves nothing: it only makes me reckless.
B.
Unlike, I know HIV doesn't exist. Even though this isn't true, the I must have done "enough research" and gotten "enough information" to JUSTIFY my position.

The difference between A and B?
A puts the responsibility of his actions on others (when they can convince me, then I'll...)

However,

B puts the responsibility of his actions on himself.

I think B's position is more logical and responsible.

What do you think?
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by shadeyinka(m): 11:06pm On Sep 09, 2019
LordReed:

You really need to listen to Sam or Richard or Chris go after Islam, Sam and Chris especially you will think suicide bomber is about to blow them up the next minute.
I think the problem of Atheists isn't about Aliens but about the Abrahamic God who prepared a place called hell for "troublesome Atheists".

That's the problem.
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by LordReed(m): 11:08pm On Sep 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

I think the problem of Atheists isn't about Aliens but about the Abrahamic God who prepared a place called hell for "troublesome Atheists".

That's the problem.

Huh? Who said anything about aliens?
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by shadeyinka(m): 11:11pm On Sep 09, 2019
budaatum:

Pretty well actually, especially if they are well versed in it, though an odd debate since Buddhists don't exactly do or not do gods.
I will admit that most of the evangelical Atheists come from societies that claim to be "Christian".

Every open Atheist in Saudi Arabia must be dead by now. Atheists in China wouldn't need to preach /debate anyone
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by shadeyinka(m): 11:13pm On Sep 09, 2019
LordReed:

Huh? Who said anything about aliens?
I did.

Atheists are willing to tolerate the idea of life existing on other planets in yonder galaxies and that wouldn't generate any problems unless people call them gods
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by LordReed(m): 11:16pm On Sep 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

You are misunderstanding me. You said you don't believe in a creator God because such a God has not been convincingly demonstrated
which is different from a gnostic position of I know God doesn't exist.

The fact that you haven't seen any evidence for God doesn't absolve you from finding evidence against His existence. Those athirst who know God doesn't exist have their reasons (based on whatever)

Let me give you an example probably you'll understand my position.
A.
I don't believe there is HIV because, it has not been convincingly demonstrated.
The fact that I don't believe in the existence of HIV proves nothing: it only makes me reckless.
B.
Unlike, I know HIV doesn't exist. Even though this isn't true, the I must have done "enough research" and gotten "enough information" to JUSTIFY my position.

The difference between A and B?
A puts the responsibility of his actions on others (when they can convince me, then I'll...)

However,

B puts the responsibility of his actions on himself.

I think B's position is more logical and responsible.

What do you think?

How is saying I will wait for evidence putting the responsibility on you for my actions? Is it your brain I will use to process the information or mine? How can I put the responsibility of thinking on you? Where do you get these funny ideas from?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by LordReed(m): 11:18pm On Sep 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

I did.

Atheists are willing to tolerate the idea of life existing on other planets in yonder galaxies and that wouldn't generate any problems unless people call them gods

What has this got to do with speaking out against Islam?
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by shadeyinka(m): 11:21pm On Sep 09, 2019
LordReed:

What has this got to do with speaking out against Islam?
I thought I have responded about Islam as an Abrahamic religion who promises hell for troublesome Atheists?
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by shadeyinka(m): 11:25pm On Sep 09, 2019
LordReed:

How is saying I will wait for evidence putting the responsibility on you for my actions? Is it your brain I will use to process the information or mine? How can I put the responsibility of thinking on you? Where do you get these funny ideas from?
You will wait for evidence, BUT are you really searching for evidence OR you have made up your mind despite your lack of evidence while thinking you will change your mind when shadeyinka is able to bring up a convincing evidence
Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by budaatum: 12:25am On Sep 10, 2019
shadeyinka:

I will admit that most of the evangelical Atheists come from societies that claim to be "Christian".

Every open Atheist in Saudi Arabia must be dead by now. Atheists in China wouldn't need to preach /debate anyone
When I began playing hockey I'd look at my stick when I missed the ball and think stupid stick until after a few times coach would whack you with his stick and if you got the hump would say, "don't blame me, its me stick".

Atheist tend not to have much beef with religions that do not evangelize is what I've found, and Christians, of all religions, can't help being in your face, especially we Nigerians. People would ask if you were born again or a variation and look at you like you damned and bathed in poo if you said you were an atheist then try to save you as you look at them thinking what part of no gods don't they get. It was comically if not sad that people of Christ will look at one and just damn one to hell. Then they'd pray for you then beg for money at which point I'd be like, did your Jesus saviour not give you any? The cheek of them, asking me they damned to give them my damned money! Yep, they hated me. They still do. How the heck can you expect to receive the money I work hard for when you were singing haleluya hosana to the highest at night vigil and sleeping during the day? They stand a better chance of me gladly paying them if they'd been reading their Bible instead!

Christians need to go back to see how Christ done it is what I think, instead of blaming their lazy incompetence on their stick and the balls of the atheists. The Word does not lie where it says knees bow!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Delusional by budaatum: 1:00am On Sep 10, 2019
Anais Nin, the avant-garde author and diarist, once said, “When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow.” I couldn’t agree more. As a detective and evidentialist, the last thing I want a jury to do is adopt a position blindly. Many people seem to think that Christians do this very thing, however, when they adopt the view that Christianity is true. This is largely due to the fact that the term, “faith” is largely misunderstood. For some (even for some Christians), faith is best defined as “believing in something that lacks supporting evidence.” But this is not the definition of faith that is presented on the pages of Christian Scripture. Instead, the Biblical notion of faith is more akin to “trusting in the best inference from the evidence”

Christianity Promotes Rational (and Evidential) Exploration

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Inconsistences Of The Theories Of Evolution / The Evolution Of Morality / Pre-birth Memories - Life Before Birth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.