Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. (2369 Views)

Dasuki Releases Breakdown Of Arms Purchases, Says “nigerians Will Hear A Lot” / Driver Lies Under His Bus As VIO Officials Try To Impound His Car (photos) / News Alert: Gunmen Attack Koton-karfe Prison, Free Inmates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Enjoyment1(f): 1:09am On Oct 27, 2010
Security agents impound 15 containers of arms in Lagos
By CHRIS ANUCHA and CHRISTOPHER OJI
Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Security agents have intercepted 15 containers of dangerous weapons illegally imported into the country.
Daily Sun gathered that the illicit cargo, which contained rocket launchers, mortar bombs, small light arms and ammunition, were impounded at the Apapa Port in Lagos.

The containers had a Bill of Laden indicating that the contents were building materials, but a search by the State Security Service (SSS) officials revealed they were arms and ammunition.

Confirming the discovery, Assistant Director, Public Relations of the SSS, Marilyn Ogar did not disclose if any arrest had been made. She said a thorough investigation had begun with a view to unraveling those behind the illegal importation.

A police source also confirmed that the 15 containers were laden with mortar bombs, AK 47 rifles and ammunition.
The source said immediately the containers were discovered, all relevant agencies were informed.
As at press time, a combined team of Army, Navy, Police, SSS, National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC), and Customs Service were still inspecting the containers.

Lagos State Police Commissioner, Mr. Marvel Akpoyibo and the Commissioner of Police in-charge of Anti-Bomb Unit, Mr. Chris Olakpe were also at the port. The area had been cordoned off while operatives were still inspecting the containers.
A senior police officer said the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mr. Hafiz Ringim had ordered that the Lagos State command, Anti Bomb Unit and the Port Police command should remain at the scene till further directives.

When Daily Sun visited the scene, the Nigerian Navy were seen moving in equipment to the scene to secure the cargo.
Also, the Federal and Lagos State fire fighters were moving in fire equipment to the scene for safety.
The senior police officer, who spoke to Daily Sun said for security reasons, the source of the arms and ammunition was being kept under wraps so as not to mar investigations.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/oct/27/national-27-10-2010-001.htm
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Enjoyment1(f): 1:10am On Oct 27, 2010
Where is this country heading to? shocked
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Ourturn(m): 1:15am On Oct 27, 2010
Enjoyment1:

Security agents have intercepted 15 containers of dangerous weapons illegally imported into the country.
Daily Sun gathered that the illicit cargo, which contained rocket launchers, mortar bombs, small light arms and ammunition, were impounded at the Apapa Port in Lagos.

The containers had a Bill of Laden indicating that the contents were building materials, but a search by the State Security Service (SSS) officials revealed they were arms and ammunition.

I know if our security agencies wants to work, they do (even with their crude nature), but this is a tip off! Besides, why the falsification? Clear indication of what is happening at our ports.
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Okijajuju1(m): 1:16am On Oct 27, 2010
2011!! E don hot like fire!! grin

I have already started recieving customers at my shrine!! grin
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Tugbaski: 1:20am On Oct 27, 2010
Omo mehn, We are on a long thing o , Make i relocate quick to seme border area for easy exit if any yawa burst
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Ourturn(m): 1:20am On Oct 27, 2010
Okija_juju:

2011!! E don hot like fire!!  grin

I have already started recieving customers at my shrine!!  grin

Okija man! gringrin In fact, alot have happened in this great nation of ours.
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Tugbaski: 1:20am On Oct 27, 2010
Okija_juju:

2011!! E don hot like fire!!  grin

I have already started recieving customers at my shrine!!  grin

Ol boy , u don kolo o , lol,
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by OgidiBoy(m): 1:21am On Oct 27, 2010
Why didn't the Port Authorities set up a sting and see you would come and claim those containers then make an arrest, before going to the media.
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Ourturn(m): 1:23am On Oct 27, 2010
OgidiBoy:

Why didn't the Port Authorities set up a sting and see you would come and claim those containers then make an arrest, before going to the media.

Exactly! That is what I meant by the crude way, they operate.
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Oboma1(m): 1:27am On Oct 27, 2010
Kai! SSS don Bleep up shocked. They should have waited to see who will clear those containers grin.
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Enjoyment1(f): 1:31am On Oct 27, 2010
Rocket launchers!

Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Enjoyment1(f): 1:32am On Oct 27, 2010
Another Picture.

Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Enjoyment1(f): 1:34am On Oct 27, 2010
Tugbaski:

Omo mehn, We are on a long thing o , Make i relocate quick to seme border area for easy exit if any yawa burst

Andrew no check oh! Stay and build your country oh, Nigeria go survive! grin
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Osama10(m): 1:36am On Oct 27, 2010
Are we war bound now?
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Otobroto(f): 1:39am On Oct 27, 2010
[13 containers of rocket launchers seized
HeadlinesOct 27, 2010

Men of the State Secret Service, SSS, offloading crates of rocket launchers intercepted at the Apapa Wharf in Lagos, yesterday. Photo: Nwankpa Chijioke
By Godwin Oritse, Godfrey Bivbere & Ifeyinwa Obi

LAGOS—COMBINED security operatives, yesterday, intercepted 13 containers laden with arms and ammunition including rocket launchers, catridges and hand grenades at the A P Moller Terminals in Apapa port.

Although, no arrest had been made at the time of going to press, the Lagos State Police Commissioner, Marvel Akpoyibo, said the command has launched a manhunt for the owners as the Police Anti-bomb squad was busy opening the crates containing the arms.

The Apapa Area Customs Controller, CAC, Alhaji Abdulkadir Azerema said contents of the containers were not declared before they were intercepted.
The first container that was opened by the various security agencies that carried out examinations discovered the 24 crates of rocket launchers and other weapon of mass destruction.

Vanguard gathered that SSS, acting on a tip off intercepted the containers and cordoned off the entire examination bay of A.P. Moller where the containers were to be examined.

Lagos State Commissioner of Police ordered a re-enforcement of a full unit of Police Mobile Force to beef up the security of the area until the containers are examined.

The containers with numbers 7869612, 7827707,7868370, 7869356,7870064, 7866819,7868318, 7868771, 7866676, 9478240,7868431, 1301980 and 7869464, were suspected to have been shipped from Iran.

Besides, officers of the Nigerian Customs Service, NCS, State Security Services, SSS, Cotecna Inspection Services, the Security department of the Nigerian Ports Authority, NPA, and officers of the Nigeria Police Force were also present at the venue of examination.
Security agents made futile bids to stop the publication of the seizure yesterday.

Another senior security officer threatened to take it up with any media house that reported the matter.
The security officer said: “No media report yet until we have gotten ‘A, B, C, D. This is what is done abroad. This bothers on national security. I am not begging over this, it concerns you and I.

I am not bribing you not to report I am only saying that this thing bothers on security, do not impede the investigation by reporting what you have seen and what you have not seen. Any media house that reports this I will take that person up.”
Customs CG expresses shock

Comptroller General of the Nigeria Customs Service ,Alhaji Abdullahi Dikko, expressed shock at the cache of arms intercepted adding that he was happy that the arms were discovered.
See more photos

He commended the commitment of the officers which led to the interception following the joint operation by various security agencies. and officers of the Nigeria Customs Service, in collaboration with the Beninoise gendarmes have commenced joint border patrol with a view to tracking down containers
suspected to carrying prohibitive equipment including arms and ammunition.

The command’s public relations officer, Mr. Ernest Olatha, a Deputy Superintendent of Customs, DSC, said although no such containers had been intercepted since the commencement of joint border patrols, the Customs were not relenting in their efforts at ensuring that the border was not used for small arms deal.

Olatha said: “We have commenced combing of all illegal routes, bushes and swampy areas to ensure that no incidence of arms proliferation takes place through this border.
At the approved routes, we ensure that all trucks are inspected to the letter and as I talk to you now, no such incidence has occurred.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/13-containers-of-rocket-launchers-seized/
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Tugbaski: 1:43am On Oct 27, 2010
What i don't understand is, why are people so bent on destroying the country, why?
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Otobroto(f): 1:44am On Oct 27, 2010
I was almost posting this, when I discovered that, it has been posted already.

Meanwhile, when shall we have good journalism in this country?

THE SUN NEWSPAPER'S HEADLINE: Security agents impound 15 containers of arms in Lagos.

VANGUARD NEWSPAPER: 13 containers of rocket launchers seized

PUNCH NEWSPAPER: SSS, others intercept rocket launchers, bombs in Lagos (WHILE SAYING 13 CONTAINERS IN THE CONTENT).

For heaven sake, cant we have unison, while reporting news, or events, moreso, when it has to do with what can be verified?
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Okijajuju1(m): 1:46am On Oct 27, 2010
Otobroto:

I was almost posting this, when I discovered that, it has been posted already.

Meanwhile, when shall we have good journalism in this country?

THE SUN NEWSPAPER'S HEADLINE: Security agents impound 15 containers of arms in Lagos.

VANGUARD NEWSPAPER: 13 containers of rocket launchers seized

PUNCH NEWSPAPER: SSS, others intercept rocket launchers, bombs in Lagos (WHILE SAYING 13 CONTAINERS IN THE CONTENT).

For heaven sake, cant we have unison, while reporting news, or events, moreso, when it has to do with what can be verified?

2 containers slipped through the ports already!! lol
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by OAM4J: 1:49am On Oct 27, 2010
Lord have mercy!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Okijajuju1(m): 1:50am On Oct 27, 2010
Nigerians sha!! See how people gather round dey look bomb like say na fresh fish!!

No care in handling the bombs, no Personal Protective Equipments, no shield or barrier, nothing!! The bomb squad should be inchagre of unpacking those containers!!

If one explodes now, na another national tragedy be that and as usual na Goodluck people go blame!
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Nobody: 1:54am On Oct 27, 2010
This is exactly why nobody is campaigning. Nobody is interested in letting us know their policies

They are stockpiling arms and getting ready to shoot there war through to victory!!!

Shame on Nigerian Politicians.
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by violent(m): 1:55am On Oct 27, 2010
hmnn

could this be henry Okah?
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Otobroto(f): 1:59am On Oct 27, 2010
violent:

hmnn

could this be henry Okah?

I just want to be sure, when last did you treat yourself of malaria attack? grin grin grin You could be right, your could be wrong!
I hope you were not day dreaming, when you saw it (just kidding).
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by OgidiBoy(m): 2:06am On Oct 27, 2010
How are we even sure that the final destination of those containers is Nigeria, has any arrests been made ? Was any investigation done before this story made it to the  media ? Why are those untrained fools handling those artillery shells like it's yam tubers.

We have a long ways to go in Nigeria. sad sad
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Osama10(m): 2:09am On Oct 27, 2010
OgidiBoy:

How are we even sure that the final destination of those containers is Nigeria, has any arrests been made ? Was any investigation done before this story made it to the media ? Why are those untrained fools handling those artillery shells like it's yam tubers.

We have a long ways to go in Nigeria. sad sad

Some people go kill us for this nairaland. grin
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by selingel: 2:12am On Oct 27, 2010
I just saw a similar post; even the topic, I knew the Igbos will make a mince meat out of it (please no insult meant). The thread is already spoilt. Instead of addressing issues, I think the poster is just filling it up with junks and I sense multiple usernames. It is disgusting. Anyway, I think the SSS goofed. You do not run to the press on such issues almost immediately. You leave such containers, waiting on whoever that will come for then. What they have just done, is to make Nigerians feels, they are working, while forgetting that, Nigerians are no longer living in the 70s where anything goes. Perhaps, they want to impress the President. They have goofed on this, big time.
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by becomrich13: 2:30am On Oct 27, 2010
where are all the people making claim that Jonathan bomb abuja. Is it Jonathan that you would claim imported this one too. I am telling you, the satellite pictures are so scaring. That nigeria would end up in civil war. Everybody all over the world is looking at the satellite pictures.

We have problem and we need to fix it now. You can see I have not been telling you lies. It look like David mark is play with people life. Bankole better take charge and ignore David mark.
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Kobojunkie: 2:33am On Oct 27, 2010
Whose containers are those? From where?
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by jumobi1(m): 2:51am On Oct 27, 2010
Since its a tipoff, they probably know the owner. Hopefully they have concrete evidence
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Jakumo(m): 3:29am On Oct 27, 2010
becomrich: link=topic=539729.msg7021665#msg7021665 date=1288143007]
I am telling you, the satellite pictures are so scaring. That nigeria would end up in civil war. [size=14pt]Everybody all over the world is looking at the satellite pictures. [/size]

Thanks to you, Big Guy, there will be NO shortage of satellite pictures here.  I can just see you trembling with excitement over another chance to post at least 35 pages of worthless, bandwidth consuming images, getting banned from Nairaland AGAIN, and then of course changing your name ever so slightly, before posting yet MORE satellite pictures.
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by Nobody: 3:31am On Oct 27, 2010
This one na real fire on the mountain.

How are we sure this was not the FIRST of many shipment?
Re: Security Agents Impound 15 Containers Of Arms In Lagos - News Alert. by bkbabe97y(m): 3:59am On Oct 27, 2010
The Second Nigerian Civil war started Oct 1st, 2010. . . .

(1) (2)

How Much Is The Transportation Cost Since The Removal Of Fuel Subsidy? / Attah Of Igala, Alhaji Aliyu Obaje, Dies At 102 / Kudo To Nigeria Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.