Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,720 members, 7,809,733 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:05 PM

16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended (16947 Views)

Top 5 Films Of 2019 Accelerate Filmmaker Project At The African Film Festival / Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award / Nollywood " How To Marry A Billionaire" Gets International Film Award Nomination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by Busy003: 12:48am On Sep 07, 2019

There is an immediate suspension of all South African film entries at the 16th Abuja International Film Festival scheduled for October 22 to 25, 2019.

In a statement released by the organisers, the International Film Festival as a body condemns unequivocally the reoccurring xenophobic attacks against African migrants, including Nigerians in South Africa. “On behalf of the management and organisers of the 16th Abuja International, we wish to announce the immediate suspension of all South African Film Entries submitted for the 16th Abuja International Film Festival scheduled for 22nd to 25th October, 2019.

“We as an International Film Festival condemn unequivocally the reoccurring xenophobic attacks against African migrants, including Nigerians in South Africa.We have observed the global outcry, especially by Nigerians all over the world who have called on their compatriots to boycott South African products and services in Nigeria in retaliation of the violence against their countrymen in South Africa.”

“However, we have taken this painful and avoidable decision to suspend entries submitted by filmmakers from South Africa until further notice. We therefore strongly condemn hate, prejudice and xenophobia actions of some South African nationals and reiterate our unequivocal condemnation of all violence in any form.”

“The Film Festival is a platform that was created to promote mutual harmony, respect for the dignity of life. We will continue to advocate for a society where everyone’s rights and freedoms are respected. The right to live and earn a living, freely, safely and protected by the law.

“We therefore as a matter of necessity call on the South African government to address the issue of xenophobic attacks with utmost seriousness where the perpetrators are brought to book.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/16th-abuja-international-all-south-african-film-entries-suspended/amp/

27 Likes

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by cbrass(m): 1:46am On Sep 07, 2019
These Zulu guys will regret for a very loooong time

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by QuotaSystem: 1:49am On Sep 07, 2019
That's very welcome. I and my friends totally boycotted all South African music today (especially Master KG).

Let's all continue to unite & stand against Xenophobia in every little way we can.

However we must tell ourselves the truth - as a nation, we need to stop the exportation of crime, especially drug & human trafficking, to other countries. The crimes of a few are seriously tarnishing our international image, which will have an adverse effect on business opportunities available to Nigerians worldwide. We therefore need to tackle the issue from both ends.

Today it is South Africa; do we also have to wait for the likes of India to start attacking Nigerians before we do something about the worsening cases of drug crimes by Nigerians in that country among others? The truth is that any society will naturally seek to expunge any foreign elements perceived to be a cancer to that society. It is unavoidable.

We must then re-orient our youths, on the virtues of honesty & diligence, while condemning the reckless worship of ill-gotten wealth; because no Nigerian, anywhere, is unaffected by this plague which is attracting notoriety and negative profiling to our dear country. Let us do better.

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by helinues: 4:55am On Sep 07, 2019
This is exact way some miscreants are letting Nigerians loose opportunities with their uncultured/unguided behaviours.

Sins of less than thousands affecting innocents in their millions.

The South Africans that will miss out will definitely believe Village people are real.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by Nobody: 4:55am On Sep 07, 2019
South Africa is beginning to feel the heat. Laziness is a complex disease which births poverty. And the fruits are hatred, bitterness, and terrorism.

Any African country Nigeria turns against is in serious trouble. Now, South Africa will realise who Nigeria truly is.

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by akilo1: 4:55am On Sep 07, 2019
SA don enter next level already

12 Likes

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by Jutnow: 4:56am On Sep 07, 2019
Nice one from them

2 Likes

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by kelvinnaira: 4:57am On Sep 07, 2019
See what the crazy actions of some few individuals is doing to a country at large.. embarassed

14 Likes

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by Onlinealaba(m): 4:57am On Sep 07, 2019
Way to go at least let's raise some shoulder high to them you can't be xenophobic and expect a tap at the back..dem Don price market and dem must buy am

CHECK MY PROFILE, your electronics at best prices

8 Likes

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by Virus99: 4:58am On Sep 07, 2019
Mandela trying to enter Mugabe's room in heaven

grin

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by olu77(m): 5:00am On Sep 07, 2019
Eyaah...let's just forgive them nau
Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by Marshalemmy(m): 5:01am On Sep 07, 2019
These guys are pure definition of barbarians

1 Like

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by chriskosherbal(m): 5:01am On Sep 07, 2019
South Africans have bitten the hand that fed them. We gave you guyz support during the apartheid yet this is the reward we get right.

Nigeria may have issues today but we will come out strong cos we are strong willed individuals and the last time I check we dominate/control the entertainment industry in Africa, we are the KING here in Africa be it in music, movie and comedy .I bet u can't beat that.

Our leaders just have to cut down on thier greed to have a better Nigeria .

God bless the citizenry of Nigeria

God bless Nigeria .

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by Jabioro: 5:01am On Sep 07, 2019
Wetin be suspension..kill all the Zulus films..I hoped, I am not overdoing it by killing all Zulus the films..

3 Likes

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by fatymore(f): 5:03am On Sep 07, 2019
Good one, but it isn't only about boycotting, the root of the matter should be treated and given dye attention accordingly. Make Nigeria great again.

Weekend Sales***
you need bedsheets, duvets throw pillows/ pillows?

I am at your service.

Our beddings are pocket friendly and you will get a worth for your money.

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by OROSUNBOLB(m): 5:04am On Sep 07, 2019
Southies go hear am !

2 Likes

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by donpapa(m): 5:05am On Sep 07, 2019
South Africa economy must go down. They must get sense by force. sad angry

3 Likes

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by Nobody: 5:06am On Sep 07, 2019
South Africa go finally enter one chance with Nigeria for this small power wey Dem show. I pity them Las Las.

5 Likes

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by olu77(m): 5:06am On Sep 07, 2019
Busy003:

“We therefore as a matter of necessity call on the South African government to address the issue of xenophobic attacks with utmost seriousness where the perpetrators are brought to book.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/16th-abuja-international-all-south-african-film-entries-suspended/amp/

Perpetrators book of South Africa is full, I suggest we send our own empty perpetrators book to them

1 Like

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by Realhommie(m): 5:22am On Sep 07, 2019
Nice move.. We need more of such, las las their eyes go clear. Dem go know say every action get repercussion/consequence.

Nonsense and Xenophobia.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by Amuocha: 6:01am On Sep 07, 2019
Sai Buhari

1 Like

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by Goldencheese(m): 6:04am On Sep 07, 2019
South Africa overdid it. This is the beginning. More sanctions from AU, southern Africa and Nigeria should reset their brains for good. Nigeria even as it is faced with numerous challenges is better than South Africa in all departments of life.

We can provide you with business plan services or business advisory to boost your business operations. Check out my signature. Thanks ahead.

3 Likes

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by nototribalist: 6:17am On Sep 07, 2019
Nice one
Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by DrNueLpureHoney: 6:23am On Sep 07, 2019
Better
Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by CrestMan: 6:31am On Sep 07, 2019
QuotaSystem:
That's very welcome. I and my friends totally boycotted all South African music today.

Let's all unite & stand against Xenophobia every little way we can.

However we must tell ourselves the truth - we need to stop the exportation of crime, especially drug & human trafficking, to other countries. The crimes of a few are seriously tarnishing our international image which will have an effect on business opportunities available to Nigerians. We need to tackle the issue from both ends.

Today it is S.A, do we also have to wait for the likes of India to start attacking Nigerians before we do something about the worsening case of drug crime by Nigerians in that country among others? The truth is that any society will naturally seek to expunge any foreign elements perceived to be a cancer to society.

We must re-orient our youths, particularly in the South East, on the virtues of honesty, and condemn the reckless worship of ill-gotten wealth because no lives are more affected by this than theirs directly and indirectly. Let us do better.

Until you and these your friends also boycott DStv completely and stop watching EPL, champions league etc, some of us will not take you serious cool

2 Likes

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by galadima77(m): 6:41am On Sep 07, 2019
chriskosherbal:
South Africans have bitten the hand that fed them. We gave you guyz support during the apartheid yet this is the reward we get right.

Nigeria may have issues today but we will come out strong cos we are strong willed individuals and the last time I check we dominate/control the entertainment industry in Africa, we are the KING here in Africa be it in music, movie and comedy .I bet u can't beat that.

God bless Nigeria .

Your third paragraph almost brought me to tears.

3 Likes

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by ashley26: 6:44am On Sep 07, 2019
This is a welcome development.
Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by Osobi32(m): 6:59am On Sep 07, 2019
chriskosherbal:

God bless Nigeria .
. I hear u bro.... Yea we are the king of Africa and we are strong willed. Other African countries are jealous of Nigeria coz we are exceptional.

3 Likes

Re: 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended by iJhoe(m): 7:02am On Sep 07, 2019
This is one of it; i mean strong measures to be taken by both governmental and non-governmental bodies to curtail the heinous acts of some dreadful SA citizens

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

BBNaija: I Nominated Tega Because She’s Antagonistic - Arin / 2017 Most Viewed YouTube Videos, Music Videos / Watch More Comedy Skits By A Nairalander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.