Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,879 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? (16550 Views)

16 Reasons You Should Be An Entrepreneur And Own A Business / 3 Advantages Of Starting Small As An Entrepreneur / 10 Things No One Will Tell You About Being An Entrepreneur (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Venerable612(m): 5:21pm On Sep 08, 2019
maximunimpact:
Getting employees has been my biggest challenge

It depends - how much are they being paid, and what are the working conditions.

Employers as well need to provide an enabling environment for the employees to thrive.
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Ademat7(m): 5:23pm On Sep 08, 2019
iamadonis2:
My greatest challenge is taking my business to that point where it functions efficiently and profitably without me.
read millionaire Fastlane and 100$ startup

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 08, 2019
Meliian:

Solution: Never short-change or undervalue your brand. When you sell at cheaper rates than the normal price range, you send the wrong signal to your customers (that your products / services isn't worth more than a penny. This is why psychologically they feel the need to keep bringing the price down). Choose your prices and STICK to it.

Quite frankly, you are just speaking English. Are you in a buyers or sellers market? Is your value proposition appreciated by your client?

Mechanics are a dime a dozen. Why should I engage you when your competition will do it for less and you cannot convince me that you are a better choice?

The cold hard and unpleasant truth, most of the time you have to identify the shot caller and make him / her happy. Relationship management. This usually c9kes down to kickbacks in one form or another.

People will blow all the Grammer about company policy etal, but in the End, 90% of them are just chasing their own interests.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Ademat7(m): 5:24pm On Sep 08, 2019
MooreJozo:
For me that I sell Proposal Engagement and Wedding Rings, it has not been easy, but na God.
Increase ur network, explore religious gathering
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Yhemit(m): 5:29pm On Sep 08, 2019
My biggest challenge as an entrepreneur is marketing, getting the right and direct companies or industries for my Shea Butter.
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Aventador: 5:30pm On Sep 08, 2019
BlackAlbinoo:
Having 24/7 power supply was my biggest challenge as an entrepreneur,I was able to solve that using a portable inverter and solar system for my laptop.....I dropship tech products and accessories on foreign platforms hence I need to be online always to attend to orders,also identifying quality products for my store, identifying unique products that will sell well , selling with the wrong price is also a major challenge for me.

Hello sir, Pls can you teach me. I willing to learn.
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by y3mi(m): 5:32pm On Sep 08, 2019
My answer to your question (in this part of the world) is nothing other than...

Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Aventador: 5:32pm On Sep 08, 2019
Offpoint:
Mine in descending order.

1. Nigeria pathetic power supplies
2. Useless Nigeria Network
3. My neighbor's who think I'm a yahoo boy....
4. Funds to boost facebook and google ads.

Hello sir, what are you into. im willing to learn.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Meliian(f): 5:32pm On Sep 08, 2019
ornicus:

if you say so

i'm sure you've also heard of relationship management

from the other side of the table, unless a guy is really really really good at what he does, we just move on to a more flexible partner

Before you come online or anywhere at all to complain about sales, you must be able to beat your chest that what you sell is top-notch, (can compete with the best in the industry). My responses are based on this assumption. Now you can take this as answer to your other quote.

7 Likes

Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Yhemit(m): 5:33pm On Sep 08, 2019
Meliian:

I can help you manage your finances for free. Just quote and tell me the specific challenge and will tell you what to do to resolve the issue.

Please how do you go about the problem of not getting direct link to foreign companies for Shea Butter. Because from my own view if a producer is ready to maximize profits ,it's those big companies.
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by FredasMumAndI: 5:36pm On Sep 08, 2019
Lucascruiz:
Biggest challenge is some coustomers demanding for pay on delivery outside my state...I sell watches

I don't do Pay on Delivery. I tell them it is pay before delivery, and I send them evidence of dispatch once iitem has been shipped.
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by FredasMumAndI: 5:39pm On Sep 08, 2019
My challenge is courier.
Shipping is not cheap even for items that are not weighty.
I will keep making enquiries till I find a simple,cheap and reliable way to ship items.
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 08, 2019
Meliian:

Before you come online or anywhere at all to complain about sales, you must be able to beat your chest that what you sell is top-notch, (can compete with the best in the industry). My responses are based on this assumption. Now you can take this as answer to your other quote.

I am talking from both sides of the aisle.

Value add is very subjective

Say you want to build a sign for me. You say your cost is $5000. Someone else is $ 4000

You tell me your signs are best in the industry.i go to sites where you have signs and I cannot see anything differentiating your signs.

Or maybe your expensive sign is expensive or a leader because of features that are irrelevant to me. It is automatic . it can update over the internet. But I don't need that.
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by OGand99others: 5:54pm On Sep 08, 2019
Funding my business Loan is greatest challenge
Meliian:

I can help you manage your finances for free. Just quote and tell me the specific challenge and will tell you what to do to resolve the issue.
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by COMPENGRFRANK(m): 6:02pm On Sep 08, 2019
maximunimpact:
AM HERE SIR
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by GentlePEACE: 6:05pm On Sep 08, 2019
BlackAlbinoo:
Having 24/7 power supply was my biggest challenge as an entrepreneur,I was able to solve that using a portable inverter and solar system for my laptop.....I dropship tech products and accessories on foreign platforms hence I need to be online always to attend to orders,also identifying quality products for my store, identifying unique products that will sell well , selling with the wrong price is also a major challenge for me.

Can I see your store?
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Sep 08, 2019
BlackAlbinoo:
Cool
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Tokziby: 6:10pm On Sep 08, 2019
All I can say is, the greatest challenge for an entrepreneur is carving a unique niche and an enabling environment.

The way people jump into businesses because they hear it's lucrative is very wrong. You should rather focus on the location u want to do it. Do a proper feasibility study. Research thoroughly about the pros and cons. Or better still the old fashioned way(which is the best), look for people that are already into the business, pay to understudy them or volunteer to work under them for free for a particular period of 6 months minimum. this will lay a very good foundation for ur start up cos u would have been exposed to most of the constraints in the business.

Every business has a tuition fee which are; ur losses, brainstorming, relentless efforts, rejections, sleepless night etc are the fees u gotta pay.

Also different business has different challenges, a service based business is different from a commodity based. There are conditions that u must be aware of before jumping into it. You must know urself and your capabilities. You need to ask urself various questions like Do u have passion for it or just for the money? Does it suit u? Is it physically or mentally challenging? Does it requires creativity? Are u ready to face rejection, disrespect, criticism, bad mouthing etc.

Every business requires a master class but sadly u can't learn it in the four walls of a classroom or books. It's a continuous learning process that moves with time or trend.

The bitter truth is that, entrepreneurship is not meant for everyone. U might have a million ideas and none will work for u cos u are best at following instructions behind the desk while another person may have just one idea and it will turn to million things cos he's specifically built for it. Know urself before u ruin urself.

5 Likes

Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Meliian(f): 6:11pm On Sep 08, 2019
ornicus:

I am talking from both sides of the aisle.

Value add is very subjective

Say you want to build a sign for me. You say your cost is $5000. Someone else is $ 4000

You tell me your signs are best in the industry.i go to sites where you have signs and I cannot see anything differentiating your signs.

Or maybe your expensive sign is expensive or a leader because of features that are irrelevant to me. It is automatic . it can update over the internet. But I don't need that.

Don't let's go in circles, you're saying the same thing and I've addressed your question.

For clarity's sake:

1. No two products are the same. That said, what a seller offers wouldn't always be what you seek and that's okay, because the reality of every business is that you can't have monopoly of sales i.e you can't own 100% of the total market size. The goal is to control the largest share of the total market.

2. An entrepreneur must be able to vouch that his product/service is premium. Choose your premium price and STICK to it. What you sell is your creation. And what you create is your pride. If you don't see your brand from this perspective, you will always settle for less.

6 Likes

Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Meliian(f): 6:16pm On Sep 08, 2019
Yhemit:

Please how do you go about the problem of not getting direct link to foreign companies for Shea Butter. Because from my own view if a producer is ready to maximize profits ,it's those big companies.

Sorry, I can't give advice in the area of marketing.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Sunriserealtors: 6:23pm On Sep 08, 2019
MasterRahl:
angry
I'm a freelancer and Kindle Author. My greatest challenge is electricity.
To write a book (KDP) or do freelance jobs (Fiverr & Upwork), I need a very conducive, well-lit, environment. I spend roughly N700 daily on petrol for gen to power my home office.

Electricity is very important. Sadly, the Nigerian government doesn't want to do anything about it. We gained Independence in 1960. It's been 59 long years and Nigeria cannot boast of 24 hour electricity.
This upwork stuff how does it work.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by hopefulLandlord: 6:23pm On Sep 08, 2019
iamadonis2:
My greatest challenge is taking my business to that point where it functions efficiently and profitably without me.
Me too bro, me too
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by hopefulLandlord: 6:24pm On Sep 08, 2019
madenigga:
There's a secret I would have loved to share to Nigerian entrepreneurs on strategy to dominate the business environment of any state or region you are in, but if I did that I would be giving out tips to my archilese heel.

If u have finance and you want to go into any business normally SME there's a way you can go about it and make good business decision anybody that can tell me what technology this is. Is a real Business man

It's a technology?
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by madenigga(m): 6:25pm On Sep 08, 2019
hopefulLandlord:

It's a technology?
Actually its an App
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by hopefulLandlord: 6:26pm On Sep 08, 2019
madenigga:
Actually its an App
mind sharing?
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by LaIabobo: 6:28pm On Sep 08, 2019
MasterRahl:
angry
I'm a freelancer and Kindle Author. My greatest challenge is electricity.
To write a book (KDP) or do freelance jobs (Fiverr & Upwork), I need a very conducive, well-lit, environment. I spend roughly N700 daily on petrol for gen to power my home office.

Electricity is very important. Sadly, the Nigerian government doesn't want to do anything about it. We gained Independence in 1960. It's been 59 long years and Nigeria cannot boast of 24 hour electricity.

Please get a Lumos box. Monthly payment is less than 5k and you have options of less than 200naira daily.

It can power your laptop and other small home appliances.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by henrijin: 6:31pm On Sep 08, 2019
Apart from poor feasibility studies, one problem businesses face is lack of keeping financial records. Proper bookkeeping helps businesses make informed decisions. I can help you do this. I help SMEs handle their financial records as it will be too expensive hiring a full time accountant. Let’s talk on bookbalanceng at gmail dot com and let me see where I can help you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by naturefellow(m): 6:33pm On Sep 08, 2019
Capital to expand.

Marketing
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Ademat7(m): 6:34pm On Sep 08, 2019
2emgee:
Pricing is my challenge. Its unfortunate i'm sharing the same business space with an uneducated and uncooperative fellow who is forcing down my price based on his lack of cooperation and very poor pricing. Am a barber.
it is d people who can't pay for your service, talk to your customers they will give u advice (survey their opinions)

1 Like

Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by Ademat7(m): 6:37pm On Sep 08, 2019
maximunimpact:
Your niche?
Hope work environment is not a big problem?
Re: What's Your Greatest Challenge As An Entrepreneur? by naijasquare(m): 6:38pm On Sep 08, 2019
Nigerfine2:

The way Nigerian talk about garri beans export do baffle me, it's just we nigerans and very few west Africans eat garri and our beans.
The poeple that sell these in Houston are big big I mean that your little supply can't beat thier price.
The containerize yam from Ghana!
I live in Houston.
Palm oil heavily comes from Ghana also.

Well, there is nothing like 'these people that sell these in Houston are big big' because anyone can compete with big businesses.
I don't know if you are from Ghana but Nigerian foods will always be my first choice before others.
FYI. Ghana yams are more perishable than Nigerian yams and Nigerian buyers and Camerounians prefer our palm oil than Ghana or Malaysian.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Scarcity Of Dollars Hits FOREIGN EXCHANGE Market / Nigerian API Startup, Onepipe Secures $950,000 Pre-seed Funding / Removing Import Restrictions Will Lift 1.3M Nigerians Out Of Poverty– World Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.