Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,105 members, 7,828,859 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

Engaged But Not Having The Feelings - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Engaged But Not Having The Feelings (1027 Views)

Can She Assumed A Wife Responsibility When Engaged? / Why Would A Man Insist On Not Having A Registry Wedding / The Feelings Keep Coming. Help Me, I Do Not Know What To Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engaged But Not Having The Feelings by OlaaH: 7:13pm On Oct 28, 2010
Hello,
I have a problem. I recently agreed to marry a guy I have dated for about 6 months but I honestly don't have the emotions i.e. I may not really be in love with him (whatever that means). He is a very nice person, caring, God fearing etc; I want to know if love will grow along the line or must love be felt from the onset?

Should I back out and keep waiting for the right feelings?
I am confused and I am 26.
Re: Engaged But Not Having The Feelings by luap: 7:16pm On Oct 28, 2010
I would slow down and share your feeling with the guy. He deserves to know what your feeling. Hate to see the both of you make a mistake you'd end up regretting for the rest of your life, especially if unborn children are involved.
Re: Engaged But Not Having The Feelings by rubi(f): 7:32pm On Oct 28, 2010
I will say give him time six months is still a short notice to study each other. Marriage is a lifetime
Re: Engaged But Not Having The Feelings by Fhemmmy: 7:49pm On Oct 28, 2010
Never marry a man if you are not in love with him, cos only that love will make u stay with one another
Re: Engaged But Not Having The Feelings by koolchicco: 8:06pm On Oct 28, 2010
OlaaH:

Hello,
I have a problem. I recently agreed to marry a guy I have dated for about 6 months but I honestly don't have the emotions i.e. I may not really be in love with him (whatever that means). He is a very nice person, caring, God fearing etc; I want to know if love will grow along the line or must love be felt from the onset?

Should I back out and keep waiting for the right feelings?
I am confused and I am 26.

hmm sorry oh but that highlighted parts seem like something I have heard from a friend. Well 6months sounds like a very short period to start whining unless maybe ur saying the 6mothns is just dating period in which case it will be berra to know how long(dating + marriage) both of u have been together so we can be able to make a fair judgment. However I do not think love can be grown over time since it wasnt there in the first place. IMO! undecided
Re: Engaged But Not Having The Feelings by diyobdw(f): 9:33pm On Oct 28, 2010
@ poster
6mth is enough to spark the love, So i guess saying yes was either because u r pressured( am going old / "will i find another"wink or pity for him.
Though it is said that good men are scares but u be good & dont rush "urs truly" will come.

So as per ur post? Pls cut it off now or at least talk to him about it. Failed engagment is berra than failed marriage.
Re: Engaged But Not Having The Feelings by holydante(m): 2:30pm On Oct 29, 2010
@diyobdw ''Failed engagment is berra than failed marriage''.

i couldnt agree less with you on this. i have come to realise that its the extent of the love one has that will keep one going with the partner in the face of extreme and fidelity-challenging scenarios.

I am currently having an encounter with a gainfully-employed-working-class-graduate-lady full of prospects and even doing extra pp to diversify her source of income and live a better life.
Her type is what so many men seek after for a life partner and she is eager for me to settle down with her, she has pampered and sacrificed a lot for me but i just cant seem to click with her and bring myself to love her or show her real affection. she even travels far distance to come and stay with me but i treat her with disdain and even refuse her sex overtures, i have told her to look for someone better than me, yet she is adamant up till date, and surprisingly, i dont still feel nada for her.

I would rather we separate now than be forced into a marriage where she will not be offered the full love of a husband and possibly endure infidelity (God forbid, i dnt want that)
Re: Engaged But Not Having The Feelings by OlaaH: 2:48pm On Oct 29, 2010
Thanks for your advice; I will reconsider the engagement and probably give the relationship another 6 months to see how it goes.
Re: Engaged But Not Having The Feelings by deniyor: 3:41pm On Oct 29, 2010
^^^ No need to bother giving it six months to see if you will fall in love with him or not. I can tell you now that in six months time, nothing will change in terms of feelings for him. It is either there or it isn't. It's even worse when you try to force feeling for someone. Take an indefinite break from him and let him know why. Absence they say makes the heart grow fonder (sometimes).

What you need to do is start afresh with someone else you feel something for.
Goodluck.

(1) (Reply)

Identical Twins Don't Have Identical Finger Prints. / 29 Year Old Man Desecrates Corpse Of 19 Yr Relative / Smart Parenting Way Of Raise Happy And Responsible Children In The 21st Century!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.