Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,229 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:06 AM

Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria (30739 Views)

Aliko Dangote Donates 1 Million Bags Of Rice To Nigerians / FG Stops Export Of Cooking Gas To Reduce Price / Farmers To Crash Price Of Rice To N6,000 Per Bag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by lexy2014: 2:49pm On Sep 11, 2019
9jatriot:
Leadership is about making the best decisions for your subjects and still have those subjects you are trying to protect insult you because of immediate pains without considering the future gains. Moses felt it when he tried to lead the Israelite out of the slavery in Egypt. Only a good leader is abe to stand his ground amidst blackmail especially when his conscience is clear.

When buhari was sick, where did he go to receive treatment?
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by AFONJACOW(m): 3:57pm On Sep 11, 2019
Gracealone:
That's an expected handshake.
APC is in charge in Niger as well, that was why about 3 governors attended Gandollars campaign rally.

Meanwhile, every right-thinking person knows that our current output can barely feed Lagos State.

They have been complaining about smuggling, but our rice farmers never reported unsold stocks.
for how long are you going to pretend things are OK in your life U go buy 1cup of rice 120naira tire... Suffering and smiling angry shocked
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by liverpool72(m): 5:13pm On Sep 11, 2019
Ijaya123:
Good development.

Really? Please how did you arrive at your conclusion and also let us know how much we produce and how many can sustain us.
ask urself how many tones Nigeria has produce in proportion to the populace
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by princpl(m): 5:16pm On Sep 11, 2019
Nice move
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by Sammology: 8:36pm On Sep 11, 2019
Even niger
That angel that created me in Nigeria has questions to answer
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by francisisking: 9:36pm On Sep 11, 2019
9jatriot:
Leadership is about making the best decisions for your subjects and still have those subjects you are trying to protect insult you because of immediate pains without considering the future gains. Moses felt it when he tried to lead the Israelite out of the slavery in Egypt. Only a good leader is abe to stand his ground amidst blackmail especially when his conscience is clear.
I don't blame u sha... I blame to pressing like button on ur post.... they are really to blame here.
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by Nobody: 1:16am On Sep 12, 2019
Please we so much love the way Nigeria was before, let it be that way. These new measures PMB is implementing won't help Nigeria grow a bit
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by Originalsly: 1:48pm On Sep 12, 2019
lexy2014:

Figures is where u should have started ur discussion from. B4 I share d figures with u, let me tell u what buhari & osinbajo said about this issue this year.

In February this year, osinbajo said that Nigeria produces 90 per cent of the rice it consumes.

Buhari only last month said that Nigeria has attained food security and that d country is now self sufficient in food production especially in rice production.

According 2u, "what we can agree on is Nigeria is not producing enough rice to meet consumer demand".

Its either u are wrong or buhari/osinbajo are wrong. Who is wrong?

Why quote politicians? In your opinion ... do you believe Nigeria is producing enough rice to meet consumer demand?
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by lexy2014: 2:55pm On Sep 12, 2019
Originalsly:

Why quote politicians? In your opinion ... do you believe Nigeria is producing enough rice to meet consumer demand?

When u use d word "believe", u are talking about an abstract thing. Something that we can't substantiate but we think exists. This is a practical matter not an issue of belief. Its about facts on ground not belief. That's y I told u that u should have started ur earlier argument by presenting stats.

U are supporting d govts move to ban rice imports& u are asking me not to quote politicians. Isn't it d same politicians that I quoted that banned rice imports that u say is a good move?

So I ask again, based on what buhari/osinbajo said compared to what u said, who is wrong.
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by Originalsly: 3:50pm On Sep 12, 2019
DexterousOne:

Okay when China under Mao did yhwie autarky experiment
Millions died of starvation
And their economy was a wreck

It was when Deng Xiaoping opened up the Chinese economy to foreign capital, foreign investment and market based economics that China grew in leaps and bounds.

On the Chinese economy making strides. Unlike before... the world is now one big community ... free trade basically. China's economy was based on agriculture... pretty much how Nigeria's is based on oil. The Agrucultural era has long gone ... replaced by industries in the Industrial revolution period. China stuck to agricultural. The Industrial era was replaced by the present Digital era. That's when China woke up.... so did Malaysia. China decided to jump in with both feet... one in industries.... the other in digital technology. That's when China's economy grew in leaps and bounds. Investors yes... but until today... the conditions to enter their market is verrrry stringent.... the reason for the present trade war with the US. Nigeria?... Africa on the whole is stuck in the Agricultural era when we should be jumping out of that... jumping over industries... and going into the present... digital.
But we must eat... so what is wrong in producing what we can... and importing what we cannot? What we shouldn't be doing is relying on imports since that would lead to econonic disaster. We are already halfway there.

Market based economic a ALWAYS WORK
Closing your borders does not work
It does not help you

India at some point tried the autarky experiment too (tho briefly) and they were fvcked too

Buhari mentality belongs to the era of autarky

Giving incentives to achieve policy objectives is what works

Back. This is not about autarky....shutting down alll imports in order to make the country self sufficient and hopefully... gain economic strength. This is about rice only. If Buhari's mentality belongs to the era of autarky... because he is stopping rice imports ... then what would you say of Trump?... isn't he all in on autarky in his bid to make USA self sufficient period?...closing borders and pretty much isolating the country?..isn't that autarky?
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 5:41pm On Sep 12, 2019
Originalsly:

Back. This is not about autarky....shutting down alll imports in order to make the country self sufficient and hopefully... gain economic strength. This is about rice only. If Buhari's mentality belongs to the era of autarky... because he is stopping rice imports ... then what would you say of Trump?... isn't he all in on autarky in his bid to make USA self sufficient period?...closing borders and pretty much isolating the country?..isn't that autarky?

Trump himself belongs to the era of autarky too.
I thought I mentioned it.

Maybe I thought I did.

1 Like

Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by Originalsly: 10:56pm On Sep 12, 2019
lexy2014:

When u use d word "believe", u are talking about an abstract thing. Something that we can't substantiate but we think exists. This is a practical matter not an issue of belief. Its about facts on ground not belief. That's y I told u that u should have started ur earlier argument by presenting stats.

U are supporting d govts move to ban rice imports& u are asking me not to quote politicians. Isn't it d same politicians that I quoted that banned rice imports that u say is a good move?

So I ask again, based on what buhari/osinbajo said compared to what u said, who is wrong.

Hmmm...you got technical! By belief I meant your opinion/what do you think/from your observations .....is Nigeria producing enough rice for local consumption? No need to quote what Buhari or Osinbajo said... this is about your opinion.

Buhari said 90%....Osinbajo said self sufficient... 100%... that's their opinion... not statistics....not facts.... the reason I said keep them out. Our politicians just love to pull figures out of the air.
Waiting on your opinion on us being self sufficient with rice.
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by Josephlife(m): 12:07am On Sep 13, 2019
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by lexy2014: 6:33am On Sep 13, 2019
Originalsly:

Hmmm...you got technical! By belief I meant your opinion/what do you think/from your observations .....is Nigeria producing enough rice for local consumption? No need to quote what Buhari or Osinbajo said... this is about your opinion.

Buhari said 90%....Osinbajo said self sufficient... 100%... that's their opinion... not statistics....not facts.... the reason I said keep them out. Our politicians just love to pull figures out of the air.
Waiting on your opinion on us being self sufficient with rice.

Its being escapist 4u to tell me not to quote buhari/osinbajo when u are supporting their ban on rice importation. So what are u supporting? How do u support what u don't even no? If u say they love to pull figures out of d air, then how come u are supporting a ban on rice importation? I still repeat, u should have started ur conversation with d facts.

I believe I gave my opinion in my first comment to u. Once again, are d one who is wrong or is it buhari/osinbajo that is wrong?
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by Originalsly: 9:35am On Sep 13, 2019
lexy2014:

Its being escapist 4u to tell me not to quote buhari/osinbajo when u are supporting their ban on rice importation. So what are u supporting? How do u support what u don't even no? If u say they love to pull figures out of d air, then how come u are supporting a ban on rice importation? I still repeat, u should have started ur conversation with d facts.

I believe I gave my opinion in my first comment to u. Once again, are d one who is wrong or is it buhari/osinbajo that is wrong?

Bro.... I'm trying to discuss policy with you.... ban on rice importation. who propose the ban .... if it's going to pass.... if it is going to enforced... how it is going to be enforced... what Buhari said about it.... what Jonathan said about it..... doesn't matter. One country is stopping the flow of rice into Nigeria..... which in reality is like a partial ban on rice importation. I support that... and gave some reasons. If you disagree with me.... back up your disagreement..... has nothing to do with right or wrong.
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by lexy2014: 9:50am On Sep 13, 2019
Originalsly:

Bro.... I'm trying to discuss policy with you.... ban on rice importation. who propose the ban .... if it's going to pass.... if it is going to enforced... how it is going to be enforced... what Buhari said about it.... what Jonathan said about it..... doesn't matter. One country is stopping the flow of rice into Nigeria..... which in reality is like a partial ban on rice importation. I support that... and gave some reasons. If you disagree with me.... back up your disagreement..... has nothing to do with right or wrong.

Policy doesn't fall from d sky. It is formulated based on facts on d ground. I gave u what d formulators of d policy said are a reflection of d facts on d ground. If d information that they gave as facts on d ground are wrong, how do u then think d policy will automatically b right just because it sounds good to d ears?

How it is going 2b enforced isn't an issue cos it is already being enforced. My grouse with u is that u are saying d policy is d correct policy but u aren't able to reconcile d correctness of d policy with d facts on d ground as given by d people who formulated d policy. U don't agree with their facts on d ground(which u aren't even sure of), but u agree with d policy. That's at best contradictory

1 Like

Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by Originalsly: 10:09am On Sep 13, 2019
lexy2014:

My grouse with u is that u are saying d policy is d correct policy but u aren't able to reconcile d correctness of d policy with[b][/b] d facts on d ground as given by d people who formulated d policy.[b][/b] U don't agree with their facts on d ground(which u aren't even sure of), but u agree with d policy. That's at best contradictory

I'm not trying to reconcile the policy with what they say..... I'm sharing my opinion on the policy.... and I'm trying to get yours. Can't you just focus on the policy? BTW... what are the facts?...one said 90% the other said 100%?
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by lexy2014: 10:25am On Sep 13, 2019
Originalsly:

I'm not trying to reconcile the policy with what they say..... I'm sharing my opinion on the policy.... and I'm trying to get yours. Can't you just focus on the policy? BTW... what are the facts?...one said 90% the other said 100%?

Did d policy just emerge from nowhere? Do policies just fall from d sky? How was d policy formulated and with what information was d policy formulated? How can u focus on a policy without understanding d background to d policy or govts thinking with regards 2d policy? One said 100% and d other said 90% self sufficiency in rice production but at d same time, u say Nigeria isn't self sufficient in rice production. That's y I asked who is wrong here. Is it u or buhari/osinbajo?
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by Originalsly: 5:06pm On Sep 13, 2019
lexy2014:

One said 100% and d other said 90% self sufficiency in rice production but at d same time, u say Nigeria isn't self sufficient in rice production. That's y I asked who is wrong here. Is it u or buhari/osinbajo?

Since you can't get past this who is right and who is wrong issue... let me engage you.

Comprehension 101

Buhari said Nigeria is 100% self sufficient in rice.
Osinbajo said Nigeria is 90% self sufficient in rice.
Originalsly said Nigeria is is not self sufficient in rice.
Buhari and Osinbajo are the ones with access to the stats.
Originalsly is a troll....has no access.

1. Is Buhari correct?
2. Is Osinbajo correct?
3. Is both Buhari and Osinbajo correct?
4. Is Originalsly's view in line with Buhari or Osinbajo?

The above is my answer to your question..... trying to maintain our tradition of answering a question with a question.

Now can you address your view about such a policy?
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by lexy2014: 10:21pm On Sep 13, 2019
Originalsly:

Since you can't get past this who is right and who is wrong issue... let me engage you.

Comprehension 101

Buhari said Nigeria is 100% self sufficient in rice.
Osinbajo said Nigeria is 90% self sufficient in rice.
Originalsly said Nigeria is is not self sufficient in rice.
Buhari and Osinbajo are the ones with access to the stats.
Originalsly is a troll....has no access.

1. Is Buhari correct?
2. Is Osinbajo correct?
3. Is both Buhari and Osinbajo correct?
4. Is Originalsly's view in line with Buhari or Osinbajo?

The above is my answer to your question..... trying to maintain our tradition of answering a question with a question.

Now can you address your view about such a policy?

Whether u are a troll or not, isn't my business. That's up 2u. So based on ur Comprehension 101, I fail to c d relevance of that 2d discussion.

In terms of my opinion, like I noted earlier, its in my first response I made to ur comment.

If u say buhari/osinbajo are d ones who have access to d data, then how did u no that Nigeria isn't self sufficient in rice production? Which data did u use to arrive at ur conclusion?

Its important we establish who is right or wrong.
D constrain u are having right now is that since u support d policy but d govts position on food self sufficiency contradicts ur view, its a bit difficult 4 u to land on d issue. Its not a chess game so u don't have to b cautious. From d confusion u are feeling as a result of information I shared with u, that should already tell u how deep a mess Nigeria is in.
Re: Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria by grandstar(m): 1:37am On Sep 14, 2019
Sunnick:
Our neighbours and greedy insiders are killing us

That is where you're wrong.The problem isn't foreigners but bad government policies.

Protectionist policies look great on paper but on close observations are actually counterproductive.

Countries do best when they focus resources in areas they have comparative advantage. Nigeria has never had a problem with rice production. Nigeria can produce rice. The problem has always been economic. The country lacks comparative advantage in its production.

The British tried to encourage rice production but local farmers preferred cocoa, palm oil, groundnuts and other products. Those were commodities the country then had comparative advantage in.

Many will argue that the ban on rice importation has led to a massive increase in rice production. What do you think is better, a massive increase in your strengths or a massive increase in what you suck at? The huge smuggling of rice into the country is economics informing you the ban makes no economic sense.

To make it simple, let's say Nigeria imports kiwi fruits at 5,000/kg. The local variety costs N8,000. Nigerians prefer buying the imported because it is cheaper.

Government however isn't happy. It says the country can be self sufficient in kiwi production as we have enough land. It decides to place an import duty of N5,000/kg in im ported kiwi fruit and the imported one now sells for 10,000/kg. Nigerians n ow start buying the locally produced version for N8,000 as the once cheaper imported one is now too costly for them. Nigerian farmers increase production.

The question I need an answer to is how does paying N8,000/kg for something available for 5,000/kg help the common man? I am still trying to understand.

Nigeria can earn as much as $2b from exports of shea butter alone! That alone show provide almost all the forex need for rice importation. There's cashew nuts, snails, honey, grass cutter and so on. Thailand exports as much as $1.8b of farmed shrimps. Snails should be able to generate as much as $2b in exports. It is lean meat. The Chinese alone will gulp down hundreds of millions. Grass cutter is another massively under exploited money spinner. The lean meat is a gold mine. I do pity the poor animals do.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

sss / BREAKING: IT’S OFFICIAL – Diamond, Access Banks Merge / BUA's Sugar Plantation: A Reply To Chika Mbonu

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.