Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,135 members, 7,814,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here (12243 Views)

Rabbit Farmers lets gather here / Abuja Farmers Lets Meet Here (abuja Environs Inclusive) / Turkey Farmers Lets Get In Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by james550(m): 12:10am On Sep 14, 2019
Hello nairalanders,
Gone are the days we suffer much at the hands of planting and making little or no gain.

Advanced organic fertilizers have really made this very easy and possible.

My okro plants are full of life and always green.
People keep asking me how come your okro grows every single day without slowing down.

I just tell them na God o!

I never knew there where organic fertilizers when mixed together can really boost plants growth faster than the normal rate it suppose to grow.

Anyways story for another day,
please all okro farmers lets meet here and discuss issues on ground.

What are the challenges and how to tackle them,
what are the times to make it big farming okro?
How do we get fast maturing dwarf okro seeds?

Do we have low germination rate due to bad soil or weather?

Where can one get bulk buyers of okro?
Do i have to join any union before i start selling my okro to retailers?

How much capital do i need starting up an okro farm?

Can one prune okro to make it grow more pods faster?

All this are questions people ask on a daily basis.

Okro farming to me is profitable,
even if you can start with only one plot filled with okro then i would say you are on a long thing.

Just be ready to be harvesting them every 1-2 days when it matures to full size.

Maybe you can employ neighbours to help you with that.

Please all okro farmers are invited here so we can really share opinions thanks

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by james550(m): 12:30am On Sep 14, 2019
There is a practical am currently undergoing now,

this experiment is based on my okro plants.

Since when i have started this the length at which my okro grows is kind of surprising to even people around me.

Am kind of thinking how come?
Because i have experienced someone who grew okro and i was the one watering them daily so to monitor their growth.

And they never grew as fast as this my present one.

Applying organic fertilizer to my okro plants 3-4 times a week is it the curse of this sudden boost in all of them?

Am kind of thinking even applying the organic fertilizers everyday to see the difference.

Before i do apply the fertilizer once a week as i have seen in youtube but now am doing otherwise.

Or is it my forlier spray that cursed this?
Am kind of confused and also happy because we need things like this to be known to people.

Dont allow someone deceive you there is no money in farming.

I once believed like that and i regreted not knowing this a long time ago.

When my fathers land wasted for years for nothing,

hmm it is well o!

As for people who intends to know much about this can really ask questions and get answers here.

I wish there are chemicals and substance we know about that can really grow okro in a week i would be the most happiest man on earth.

Thats why i do follow my okro plants bumber to bumber,

or let me say forcing them to grow faster by force.

For God said let there be light and there was light.

So why should i not even grow an okro seeds to maturity in a month?

Its funny and at the same time amazing so people can try this in other plants not just for okro alone.

3 Likes

Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by akorede4u: 2:08pm On Sep 15, 2019
fascinating
if u can open online thread for this i tink that will be better
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 15, 2019
I am about to plant Okro in sacks. Do you think 1 month maturity can be achieved?
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by okoroemeka(m): 4:48pm On Sep 15, 2019
PietraK:
I am about to plant Okro in sacks. Do you think 1 month maturity can be achieved?
not possible,even cucumbers don't mature in a month

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by austinomd(m): 11:56am On Nov 28, 2019
Good Day All,

Please oh i'm urgently in need of Okro to plant on 2 plots of land, i need the dwarf early maturing variety, preferably kirikou f1, this is my first time farming Okro, so i'll be coming back to ask a whole lot of questions, but first i need to get the seeds first.

I cleared the land by myself and i don't want it to get bushy again.

Kindly help a brother.

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 7:45pm On Nov 28, 2019
This is a great platform and its come at the right time kudos to the op. Pls I will like to know the variety you plant or you can advise one to plant cos am presently preparing the land I want to use for okro farm and I need to get seed Asap
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by my2chains(m): 9:45pm On Nov 28, 2019
olakunleben16:
This is a great platform and its come at the right time kudos to the op. Pls I will like to know the variety you plant or you can advise one to plant cos am presently preparing the land I want to use for okro farm and I need to get seed Asap

you can get dwarf okro seeds from oluchidelly here in nairaland

or maybe meet all this aboki that are selling seeds,
they measure it in milk cup but am not sure its the dwarf okro seeds,

make sure you apply dry chicken manure every 15 days

happy farming sir,
please greet your wife and children for me take care

5 Likes

Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by my2chains(m): 9:50pm On Nov 28, 2019
austinomd:
Good Day All,

Please oh i'm urgently in need of Okro to plant on 2 plots of land, i need the dwarf early maturing variety, preferably kirikou f1, this is my first time farming Okro, so i'll be coming back to ask a whole lot of questions, but first i need to get the seeds first.

I cleared the land by myself and i don't want it to get bushy again.

Kindly help a brother.

Thanks in advance.

helping a brother is my hobby,
do contact oluchidelly for your early maturing okro seeds.

But the thing is that you will have to pay for it been waybilled to you all the way from ibadan to your location

please make sure you water ur okro plants daily
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by austinomd(m): 5:57pm On Nov 29, 2019
Thanks allot, I've been in touch with oluchidelly they're currently out of stock and my land will grow back if I have to wait for them to restock, plus other factors which may not go as planned if I have to wait for another one month.

my2chains:

helping a brother is my hobby,
do contact oluchidelly for your early maturing okro seeds.

But the thing is that you will have to pay for it been waybilled to you all the way from ibadan to your location

please make sure you water ur okro plants daily
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by REUBEN010(m): 10:47pm On Nov 29, 2019
austinomd:
Thanks allot, I've been in touch with oluchidelly they're currently out of stock and my land will grow back if I have to wait for them to restock, plus other factors which may not go as planned if I have to wait for another one month.

What is the size of your land and what quantity of seeds do you need?
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by Akinola100: 11:46pm On Nov 29, 2019
I planted mine, for more than 2 weeks it has not germinated
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by my2chains(m): 4:42am On Nov 30, 2019
Akinola100:
I planted mine, for more than 2 weeks it has not germinated

maybe you planted the seeds too deeper into the soil.
Or you forgot to soak it in water for 24 hours or so

the seeds are suffering from dormancy

1 Like

Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by Mrkellz: 11:34am On Nov 30, 2019
okoroemeka:
not possible,even cucumbers don't mature in a month

I've actually had okra mature in 5weeks during the dry season.just seeds from d market and foliar feeding along with fungicide and pesticides. No manure or fertilizer.tho it was just my test plot... also a virgin land.

1 Like

Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by my2chains(m): 9:41pm On Nov 30, 2019
Mrkellz:

I've actually had okra mature in 5weeks during the dry season.just seeds from d market and foliar feeding along with fungicide and pesticides. No manure or fertilizer.tho it was just my test plot... also a virgin land.

i think forliar spray seems to work very well with okro plants,

but the okro you planted is it the dwarf variety or just the normal type?
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by Mrkellz: 12:17pm On Dec 01, 2019
my2chains:

i think forliar spray seems to work very well with okro plants,

but the okro you planted is it the dwarf variety or just the normal type?

Yeah. I think it's cuz the leaves are soft,also broad.

Some are dwarf, some are a bit tall, say 2m.
The taller ones delayed for about a week to 2 weeks after the shorter ones started production.
I saw up to 4 different cultivars.
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by Mrkellz: 12:27pm On Dec 01, 2019
Does anyone please know where to get good quality neem oil? I believe the only problem I had was infestation by those red and black bugs. Always mating on my plants...chai
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by OluchiDelly: 4:05pm On Dec 01, 2019
Mrkellz:

Yeah. I think it's cuz the leaves are soft,also broad.

Some are dwarf, some are a bit tall, say 2m.
The taller ones delayed for about a week to 2 weeks after the shorter ones started production.
I saw up to 4 different cultivars.
The dwarf plants with long finger pods have the shortest maturity period. 2m is close to 7ft, not a small height o.

1 Like

Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by OluchiDelly: 4:06pm On Dec 01, 2019
Mrkellz:
Does anyone please know where to get good quality neem oil? I believe the only problem I had was infestation by those red and black bugs. Always mating on my plants...chai
Are u in Lagos/Ogun?
Your location?
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by Mrkellz: 8:51pm On Dec 01, 2019
OluchiDelly:

Are u in Lagos/Ogun?
Your location?

Benin city

1 Like

Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by OluchiDelly: 9:09pm On Dec 01, 2019
Mrkellz:

Benin city
Contact @ organicfoods, he used to have those stuff, he should be able to help u waybill.
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by my2chains(m): 12:33am On Dec 02, 2019
Mrkellz:

the one thing i have learnt about okro is if you can get rid of the pest and apply constant manure to it then you are heading for a bumper harvest

also make sure you water them everyday

1 Like 1 Share

Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by austinomd(m): 9:49am On Dec 02, 2019
Two plots, what quantity of the dwarf specie will be enough to cover that? this is my first time planting Okro

REUBEN010:

What is the size of your land and what quantity of seeds do you need?
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by REUBEN010(m): 11:20pm On Dec 03, 2019
austinomd:
Two plots, what quantity of the dwarf specie will be enough to cover that? this is my first time planting Okro

It depends on your spacing and viability of the seeds. 4 - 6 milk cup of good seeds should be adequate.
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 2:51am On Dec 04, 2019
A major problem is where you can make profitable sales of your Okro products
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by my2chains(m): 7:01am On Dec 06, 2019
Adedokunworld:
A major problem is where you can make profitable sales of your Okro products

if you can be able to negotiate with some market women they will be able to help you sell,

some of them will even want to know where your farm is so they can be coming there to buy direct from you
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by sosowater: 7:50am On Dec 06, 2019
Please my2chains, is neem oil very effective in controlling pests in an okro farm?
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 10:23am On Dec 06, 2019
My mum tried that with two bags of ewedu and they offered N400 for them.
Retailers try to exploit farmers
Both vegetable and poultry because they know you have to sell after harvest and your birds have to be sold

my2chains:

if you can be able to negotiate with some market women they will be able to help you sell,

some of them will even want to know where your farm is so they can be coming there to buy direct from you

1 Like

Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by Mrkellz: 1:19am On Dec 07, 2019
OluchiDelly:

Contact @ organicfoods, he used to have those stuff, he should be able to help u waybill.

Thanks a lot
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by my2chains(m): 5:13am On Dec 07, 2019
sosowater:
Please my2chains, is neem oil very effective in controlling pests in an okro farm?

yes very much effective
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by healthserve(m): 8:53am On Dec 07, 2019
james550:
There is a practical am currently undergoing now,

this experiment is based on my okro plants.

Since when i have started this the length at which my okro grows is kind of surprising to even people around me.

Am kind of thinking how come?
Because i have experienced someone who grew okro and i was the one watering them daily so to monitor their growth.

And they never grew as fast as this my present one.

Applying organic fertilizer to my okro plants 3-4 times a week is it the curse of this sudden boost in all of them?

Am kind of thinking even applying the organic fertilizers everyday to see the difference.

Before i do apply the fertilizer once a week as i have seen in youtube but now am doing otherwise.

Or is it my forlier spray that cursed this?
Am kind of confused and also happy because we need things like this to be known to people.

Dont allow someone deceive you there is no money in farming.

I once believed like that and i regreted not knowing this a long time ago.

When my fathers land wasted for years for nothing,

hmm it is well o!

As for people who intends to know much about this can really ask questions and get answers here.

I wish there are chemicals and substance we know about that can really grow okro in a week i would be the most happiest man on earth.

Thats why i do follow my okro plants bumber to bumber,

or let me say forcing them to grow faster by force.

For God said let there be light and there was light.

So why should i not even grow an okro seeds to maturity in a month?

Its funny and at the same time amazing so people can try this in other plants not just for okro alone.

Hi James550

Have you noticed that I've been accused for the past three weeks of being you? And you were mentioned many times in all the posts. I'm wondering why you didn't come out to refute the claims
Re: For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here by sosowater: 1:06pm On Dec 07, 2019
my2chains:

yes very much effective

Thank you man. You too much

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

16 By Product Of Cassava You Should Know / How Much Do Day Old Chicks Cost? / What Is The Local Name For "Black Seed" ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.