Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,119 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? (2453 Views)

What Codng Languages Are Needed to Develop A Fintech Like Flutterwave / Is It Adviceable To Learn Two Programming Languages At The Same Time / Top 5 Programming Languages You Should Learn In 2018 (and Where To Learn Them) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by progeek37(m): 12:17pm On Sep 14, 2019
How many languages are you supposed to learn?

The answer is ONE!

Your friend said that Java is dead and Python is now alive. I can't stop laughing..., and immediately you switched to Python leaving your half-baked Java knowledge. Again you heard that Python is not fast enough and it's unsuitable for enterprise applications, you ran back Java or perhaps started considering giving C# a try. Once again, you have seen that your colleagues are developing web applications with php and JavaScript, and you think it's better to learn php or JavaScript so as start making some cool money as soon as possible.
When you are living in an environment saturated with a certain programming language, you may start thinking that's the only language one is supposed to learn. Python users generally think that Python is the end game, but in real life applications and many enterprise applications, Python is hardly found. Large enterprise organisations use Java, C# and C/C++. It's a known fact. Does it then mean that Python is not suitable? Absolutely not. A simple reason for instance, Java is very popular and has been adopted by many large enterprise, on the other hand Python popularity is simply a new trend compared to Java. Many large organisations had already built their codes on Java. Switching to Python can cost them a lot of fund. Of course, they would prefer to modify the existing code instead of switching entirely to new language.
So new organisations can build their codes from scratch on Python if they prefer, but switching from an existing language to Python is not what any enterprise companies can derive joy from. There is future in Python of course, many companies will use it sooner or later, but that doesn't mean that Java is dead or going to die.

Then how many languages are you supposed to learn?

I will reply by saying ONE.

You have to learn one programming language and make it yours. Delve deeper into it, and try to learn all that you are supposed to learn, from beginner's level to advance.
Try to explore the language structure, you may not need to learn everything but try to explore. Once you have acquired a working knowledge of any programming language, it will become an easy task to switch from language to another.
As a matter of fact, a good programmer(a programmer who has acquired the programming skills... algorithm and data structure) can pick up a book on a programming language and learn it without stress.
There may be many programming languages, but the fundamentals of programming itself remain the same regardless of a language. When you learn algorithm and data structure, you can switch to a new language if your new project or organisation demands that.
Of course, if you intend to develop Android it is a better option to learn Java from beginning, or if you want to develop Windows applications, C# would be first choice. However, learning the fundamentals of programming supersedes the knowledge of any particular language. Someone who had acquired the skills of programming can do well in any language.
In conclusion stop roaming from one language to another, focus on one and delve deep into it. You can learn all the 200+ programming languages existing in the world today, if you want to and have the time to learn them, but before that learn ONE and only ONE programming language. When you learn one language well,and want to switch to another language, all you will be asking yourself is something like "A for loop is implemented like this in C#, how is it implemented in Python?" as simple as that...

Asap... I rest my case!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by jayextra(m): 3:44pm On Sep 14, 2019
I jst started Q-basic
Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by dauddy97(m): 4:09pm On Sep 14, 2019
Learn python and have it all.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by progeek37(m): 1:36am On Sep 19, 2019
dauddy97:
It's alright
Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 19, 2019
progeek37:
How many languages are you supposed to learn?

The answer is ONE!

Your friend said that Java is dead and Python is now alive. I can't stop laughing..., and immediately you switched to Python leaving your half-baked Java knowledge. Again you heard that Python is not fast enough and it's unsuitable for enterprise applications, you ran back Java or perhaps started considering giving C# a try. Once again, you have seen that your colleagues are developing web applications with php and JavaScript, and you think it's better to learn php or JavaScript so as start making some cool money as soon as possible.
When you are living in an environment saturated with a certain programming language, you may start thinking that's the only language one is supposed to learn. Python users generally think that Python is the end game, but in real life applications and many enterprise applications, Python is hardly found. Large enterprise organisations use Java, C# and C/C++. It's a known fact. Does it then mean that Python is not suitable? Absolutely not. A simple reason for instance, Java is very popular and has been adopted by many large enterprise, on the other hand Python popularity is simply a new trend compared to Java. Many large organisations had already built their codes on Java. Switching to Python can cost them a lot of fund. Of course, they would prefer to modify the existing code instead of switching entirely to new language.
So new organisations can build their codes from scratch on Python if they prefer, but switching from an existing language to Python is not what any enterprise companies can derive joy from. There is future in Python of course, many companies will use it sooner or later, but that doesn't mean that Java is dead or going to die.

Then how many languages are you supposed to learn?

I will reply by saying ONE.

You have to learn one programming language and make it yours. Delve deeper into it, and try to learn all that you are supposed to learn, from beginner's level to advance.
Try to explore the language structure, you may not need to learn everything but try to explore. Once you have acquired a working knowledge of any programming language, it will become an easy task to switch from language to another.
As a matter of fact, a good programmer(a programmer who has acquired the programming skills... algorithm and data structure) can pick up a book on a programming language and learn it without stress.
There may be many programming languages, but the fundamentals of programming itself remain the same regardless of a language. When you learn algorithm and data structure, you can switch to a new language if your new project or organisation demands that.
Of course, if you intend to develop Android it is a better option to learn Java from beginning, or if you want to develop Windows applications, C# would be first choice. However, learning the fundamentals of programming supersedes the knowledge of any particular language. Someone who had acquired the skills of programming can do well in any language.
In conclusion stop roaming from one language to another, focus on one and delve deep into it. You can learn all the 200+ programming languages existing in the world today, if you want to and have the time to learn them, but before that learn ONE and only ONE programming language. When you learn one language well,and want to switch to another language, all you will be asking yourself is something like "A for loop is implemented like this in C#, how is it implemented in Python?" as simple as that...

Asap... I rest my case!
Says the proud arrogant imbecilic anumanu who claimed to have learnt JavaScript in 3 days.
Careful with this guy guys.
He's after your 3k

2 Likes

Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by progeek37(m): 9:58am On Sep 19, 2019
Bonatheripper:

Says the proud arrogant imbecilic anumanu who claimed to have learnt JavaScript in 3 days.
Careful with this guy guys.
He's after your 3k
You are lying against me, and you know that...but at end the intention of every man will be revealed... what I said as everyone who was in the former CAA would confirm was that I knew JavaScript up to the extent I implemented the algorithm for generating Nigerian phone numbers in JavaScript without a prior knowledge of 10, 000 000 total numbers in a prefix, after studying JavaScript for just three days. And I did it and you yourself saw it , everyone in group saw it because I shared it to group.

1 Like

Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 19, 2019
progeek37:

You are lying against me, and you know that...but at end the intention of every man will be revealed... what I said as everyone who was in the former CAA would confirm was that I knew JavaScript up to the extent I implemented the algorithm for generating Nigerian phone numbers in JavaScript without a prior knowledge of 10, 000 000 total numbers in a prefix, after studying JavaScript for just three days. And I did it and you yourself saw it , everyone in group saw it because I shared it to group.
Hahaha.
Lying ko lying ni.
I have screenshots.
How about the 3k ABI 6k part grin
Or ama I lying

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by progeek37(m): 2:26pm On Sep 19, 2019
Bonatheripper:

Hahaha.
Lying ko lying ni.
I have screenshots.
How about the 3k ABI 6k part grin
Or ama I lying
Please share it here. Almost everyone in my tutorial group is from Nairaland. So if I'm not genuine or not offering them what they paid for, they would haven been reporting here. I want to let you that the price for the tutorial is now 5000 per month(doesn't apply to the first set of people that joined the group), and just today alone after your comment brought up this post, two people subscribed to the tutorial. I'm never a loser!....asap I rest my case!
Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 19, 2019
progeek37:

Please share it here. Almost everyone in my tutorial group is from Nairaland. So if I'm not genuine or not offering them what they paid for, they would haven been reporting here. I want to let you that the price for the tutorial is now 5000 per month(doesn't apply to the first set of people that joined the group), and just today alone after your comment brought up this post, two people subscribed to the tutorial. I'm never a loser!....asap I rest my case!
Too people ko 2 people ni.
Hahahahaha.
Someone that cannot program teaching people how to program
Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by progeek37(m): 2:57pm On Sep 19, 2019
Bonatheripper:

Too people ko 2 people ni.
Hahahahaha.
Someone that cannot program teaching people how to program
Okay!!!! I rest my case now.
Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 19, 2019
progeek37:

Okay!!!! I rest my case now.
U really need a rest.... It must be tiring begging 5k everyday
Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by progeek37(m): 2:40pm On Sep 21, 2019
dauddy97:
Whichever one you select just make it yours... that's the bottom line of the story.
Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by dauddy97(m): 4:14pm On Sep 21, 2019
progeek37:

Whichever one you select just make it yours... that's the bottom line of the story.
As a maths student, is python a good to go language.
Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by progeek37(m): 4:50pm On Sep 21, 2019
dauddy97:
As a maths student, is python a good to go language.
Yes... it's great programming language without controversy, for data analysis/science as well as for machine learning.
Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by progeek37(m): 1:52pm On Dec 29, 2019
Join my coding and tutorial groups today, contact me on WhatsApp 08135683431

1 Like

Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by progeek37(m): 10:17pm On Apr 12, 2020
Join my free WhatsApp coding group Let's build a community of great programmers
Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by progeek37(m): 12:39am On Jun 07, 2020
You can join my coding group if have already learned the fundamentals of programming or subscribe to tutorial if you are a beginner. Kindly send me a message on WhatsApp or text me.
Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by Karlebolu(m): 1:35am On Jun 07, 2020
Learning new languages isn't a big deal because all these languages are just too similar albeit with little differences.
Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by progeek37(m): 9:24pm On Jun 12, 2020
Join the coding WhatsApp group and let your presence count. To join send me a message on WhatsApp so I can send you the invite link. Tutorial is also available in Java, Python, JavaScript and C#.
Re: How Many Languages Are You Supposed To Learn? by progeek37(m): 8:52pm On Sep 01, 2022
Message me on WhatsApp 08135683431 to subscribe to my tutorial class.

(1) (Reply)

MVC Pattern / I Need Help On Oop Project Using C# Console-base Application / Why Are Nigerian Programmers Not Interested In Game Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.