Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,087 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure (58351 Views)

FG Tells Togo, Benin, Niger To Pay Electricity Bills / Nigeria Meets Benin, Niger Over Border Closure / IMF Says Border Closure Negatively Impacting Benin, Niger Republics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by joseph1832(m): 1:40pm On Sep 15, 2019
midolian:
of course I get your point. The government was too strict to have closed the border outrightly but it's all for good, I maintain.

If the government's to wait till there is enough to go round before closing the border, there will never be enough to go round. This is because people like you and I are already too used to foreign rice and are not ready to give the local ones a chance...and for as long as we have foreign rice flying around, we would continue to go for them...thereby discouraging producers of the local ones

For instance, I used to buy my rice(foreign) from baruten local government in Kwara state for as low as 11500, at max 12k. But since the border was closed, I only bought a small rubber Paint of rice for #1500 with the hope that before we finish consuming it, the borders will be opened again. Bro, I am saying this for you to know I am also feeling the heat...but truth is, I have been into agric business for sometime now, and I have noticed when there is too much of a farm produce in the market, we the sellers don't gain much..in fact sometimes, we lose(like it was experienced last year).
That's the essence of being in business. Sometimes you make profit and sometimes you don't. The thing is every Nigerian man wants to always make profit, even at the expense of others.

I still maintain even if every foreign rice is shot into space, our local rice will still be expensive. That's the greed I'm talking about and beside, how many farmers do we even have in the country.

Take yam for example bro. Do we import it? No. But yet it's still very expensive. The farmers are fvcking greedy. I've been to Kishi and Ebgeti bro, what I saw there made me believe people in rural areas love money more than those in urban areas.

It's all a very complicated situation bro.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by musicwriter(m): 1:41pm On Sep 15, 2019
lilfreezy:
Them don open office for custom officials. This is where they will make heavy money as they will be the only legitimate smugglers in the country grin

Seems you know.

They've been making a killing since the past 3 weeks. It costs at least N1,500 to pass through the border now if you don't have a passport......but that's not what they're told to do. Someone said he paid as much as N3,000. And as always, even other agencies are keying in on the free money.

Let me not forget the bulk of the seized items are shared by same officials and some resold at night time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by joseph1832(m): 1:42pm On Sep 15, 2019
Asquare84:

Because the price of chicken and other local products have gone up if your brain is working then it will be the reason for you to start making money by rearing poultry and farming rice that they easiest way to make money
if you're smart you should know theory is very different from practical. You don't just go into a business without knowing the nitty gritty.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by HeyCorleone(m): 1:43pm On Sep 15, 2019
Topmaike007:
if the border is still open our people will not farm... Can you allow your kid to study agriculture on school, because that is where our problem as a nation comes from

That is an unsound comparison.

So while I wait for my rice to grow, what do I eat?

Besides, what mechanisms are in place to ensure that farming is taken seriously? Are they grants, and other easily accessible facilities to improve production? What about security? Are you asking people to go to farms at the risk of being killed or kidnapped?

So these are things we must consider. Nigeria can not produce enough rice to feed the country in a very little time. Closing borders would not solve anything, and would only be an unfair punishment. The government should have assisted farms, with subsidies, so that, while a quantity of imported rice is selling for N250, local rice is going for N150 or less. Doing that, you won't need mouth to advice people which one to go for. But now I'm hearing Abakaliki rice is going for N400, while imported rice, of same quantity is going for N250.

It would be good for any country to be self reliant, as per foodstuff, but it's not something you achieve in a very little time, especially with the lack of necessary instruments, institutions and facilities.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by zuto4u(m): 1:43pm On Sep 15, 2019
God bless you my brother. Don't mind that nitwit.
NOC1:

Is that all you can make out of that article, are you a smuggler?
We better keep quiet when we have nothing to say. Your country should come first before any other thing.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by zuto4u(m): 1:45pm On Sep 15, 2019
I love this. Let us all unite and build our country to the envy of other countries
ORIENTATION101:
Very Good Nigeria is not doing Big Brother again. You neighboring countries have been milking us since.

The importers in your countries pays billions of dollars annually to ur respective government on rice duties. then smuggle the rice freely to Nigeria to sell and still make money without paying tax. What nonsense.

Buhari please cut of Benin,ghana,Togo,niger lights their debts is too much. Nigeria cannot be giving light freely when we citizens re paying high fees to enjoy power.

No more economic Big Brother again period

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by joseph1832(m): 1:46pm On Sep 15, 2019
musicwriter:

Seems you know.

They've been making a killing since the past 3 weeks. It costs at least N1,500 to pass through the border now if you don't have a passport......but that's not what they're told to do. Someone said he paid as much as N3,000. And as always, even other agencies are keying in on the free money.

Let me not forget the bulk of the seized items are shared by same officials and some resold at night time.
yet some people still believe this government is fighting corruption when they're enabling it.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Olasty(f): 1:48pm On Sep 15, 2019
goldman777:
Why are you promoting regional integration with a single currency called eco when we shut our borders to our fellow regional countries buhari is confused I swear.while regional bodies like the eu and euro currency grows just watch Nigeria and west African currency ECO slide uselessly into Oblivion

Will you keep quiet
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 15, 2019
joseph1832:
yet some people still believe this government is fighting corruption when they're enabling it.

Is that the government or is it the same greedy Nigerians you referenced?

Anytime the government tries to enforce some form of regulation, this is what happens. In 2017, when there was fuel scarcity in December, there was a ban/warning on hoarding.

Next thing DPR officials are shutting down any station that has fuel in their tanks and is not selling no matter the reason. There were big queues at the dpr offices paying up to 250k to unseal their stations.

We are opportunistic predatory bastards and most of this countries problems can be traced to the unrestrained greed and corruption of individual Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Deepthoughts: 1:53pm On Sep 15, 2019
dre11:

…no respite until neighbouring countries end smuggling

•Customs inaugurate 2 armoured anti-smuggling vessels

•Niger bans importation of foreign (parboiled) rice from Benin

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2019/09/border-closure-benin-niger-economies-under-pressure/

Securing all the borders is sure a very tough task,but why can't the customs raid selling points i,e markets,to confiscate all the ban goods, simple logic,if you can't sell,there is no point smuggling it.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Deepthoughts: 1:56pm On Sep 15, 2019
dre11:

…no respite until neighbouring countries end smuggling

•Customs inaugurate 2 armoured anti-smuggling vessels

•Niger bans importation of foreign (parboiled) rice from Benin

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2019/09/border-closure-benin-niger-economies-under-pressure/

Buhari should include humans especially herdsmen n their cows in this border security exercise I think that would be great.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Sterope(f): 1:58pm On Sep 15, 2019
Local rice production cannot meet demand until the government can work with farmers to improve production, rice shouldn't be banned

midolian:
of course I get your point. The government was too strict to have closed the border outrightly but it's all for good, I maintain.

If the government's to wait till there is enough to go round before closing the border, there will never be enough to go round. This is because people like you and I are already too used to foreign rice and are not ready to give the local ones a chance...and for as long as we have foreign rice flying around, we would continue to go for them...thereby discouraging producers of the local ones

For instance, I used to buy my rice(foreign) from baruten local government in Kwara state for as low as 11500, at max 12k. But since the border was closed, I only bought a small rubber Paint of rice for #1500 with the hope that before we finish consuming it, the borders will be opened again. Bro, I am saying this for you to know I am also feeling the heat...but truth is, I have been into agric business for sometime now, and I have noticed when there is too much of a farm produce in the market, we the sellers don't gain much..in fact sometimes, we lose(like it was experienced last year).
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by joseph1832(m): 1:58pm On Sep 15, 2019
ornicus:

Is that the government or is it the same greedy Nigerians you referenced?
who is the government? Isn't it the same greedy Nigerians that make up the government, no matter how small they are compared to the bigger population.
Anytime the government tries to enforce some form of regulation, this is what happens. In 2017, when there was fuel scarcity in December, there was a ban/warning on hoarding.

Next thing DPR officials are shutting down any station that has fuel in their tanks and is not selling no matter the reason. There were big queues at the dpr offices paying up to 250k to unseal their stations.
what excuse do the people who refused to sell petrol have? Bro when things like this happen, there are always people who will benefit massively from it. Those people whose filling station were shut down have no connection in high places whatsoever that's why their filling station was shut down.
We are opportunistic predatory bastards and most of this countries problems can be traced to the unrestrained greed and corruption of individual Nigerians
well you can say that again. The love for money and the zeal to oppress our fellow Nigerian is the root cause of this.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by musicwriter(m): 1:59pm On Sep 15, 2019
joseph1832:

As always its poor people that are paying the price for their madness. The other day I saw an aged woman coming from Seme (border) who bought some rice in polythene bag that she'll cook for her children but customs seized it. Yet, the customs rule states its not a crime since its not marketable quantity. I saw another woman crying bitterly for reasons I don't know.

The rice importers are already on holiday now and are relaxing somewhere enjoying their money, while waiting for the situation to ease off so they can continue business as usual.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Sterope(f): 2:01pm On Sep 15, 2019
Corruption at the border is not a new thing. How did you Atiku made his money?

joseph1832:

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 15, 2019
joseph1832:

what excuse do the people who refused to sell petrol have? Bro when things like this happen, there are always people who will benefit massively from it. Those people whose filling station were shut down have no connection in high places whatsoever that's why their filling station was shut down.

Heh. It was simply double/triple shakedown time.
During scarcity, once fuel in a station drops below a level, it is typically held in reserve for owner, family friends, police /security and staff of whichever company logo the station is carrying. Anyway, that's a story for another day I guess.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by deyemih: 2:04pm On Sep 15, 2019
Pls kindly vote for me to get an entry into the fcmb flexxtern program. Follow the link below and vote with facebook, twitter or both. Please help a brother. Thanks.

https://apply.fcmb.com/flexxtern4/entry/WBW7Y9SB
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 15, 2019
Sterope:
Local rice production cannot meet demand until the government can work with farmers to improve production, rice shouldn't be banned

It may also never meet demand without radical action.

Obj did the same with furniture and imported juice, and the economy is better off for this. Of course rice is a staple food, so one may argue that this is different.

The real problem may be quality. The last bag I bought was full of stones and some other stuff
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by mickelkingz(m): 2:07pm On Sep 15, 2019
Fufu government.. Create job's
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by joseph1832(m): 2:08pm On Sep 15, 2019
ornicus:

Heh. It was simply double/triple shakedown time.
During scarcity, once fuel in a station drops below a level, it is typically held in reserve for owner, family friends, police /security and staff of whichever company logo the station is carrying. Anyway, that's a story for another day I guess.
you make it sound like every filling station owner does this.

Well like you say, story for another day.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 15, 2019
joseph1832:
you make it sound like every filling station owner does this.

Well like you say, story for another day.

I was in the downstream industry in one of the major marketers for 14 years. Regulators are the same everywhere. Shakedown people.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by slimthugchimee2(m): 2:12pm On Sep 15, 2019
musicwriter:

As always its poor people that are paying the price for their madness. The other day I saw an aged woman coming from Seme (border) who bought some rice in polythene bag that she'll cook for her children but customs seized it. Yet, the customs rule states its not a crime since its not marketable quantity. I saw another woman crying bitterly for reasons I don't know.

The rice importers are already on holiday now and are relaxing somewhere enjoying their money, while waiting for the situation to ease off so they can continue business as usual.

Wait lemme understand this story well

The old woman went to Benin to buy rice?

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by musicwriter(m): 2:14pm On Sep 15, 2019
slimthugchimee2:

Lol what sort of stupid story is this

That's the question you should answer. Did the old woman go to Benin with handheld polythene bag to buy rice?
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by duwdu: 2:17pm On Sep 15, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Good !

How can Benin Republic with a population of 16millon become the sixth largest importer of rice in the world and the largest importer of rice in Africa.

Sometimes I doubt anything like Pan-africanism ever existed.

Yet, the president of Benin wants Nigeria to open its borders for further exploitation.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-largest-rice-importers-in-the-world.html

This is a tremendous post and thanks for the link!

P34c3

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Jiokejohn: 2:18pm On Sep 15, 2019
ORIENTATION101:
Very Good Nigeria is not doing Big Brother again. You neighboring countries have been milking us since.

The importers in your countries pays billions of dollars annually to ur respective government on rice duties. then smuggle the rice freely to Nigeria to sell and still make money without paying tax. What nonsense.

Buhari please cut of Benin,ghana,Togo,niger lights their debts is too much. Nigeria cannot be giving light freely when we citizens re paying high fees to enjoy power.

No more economic Big Brother again period

So long as we still rely on Kainji dam in Niger state, we dare not try it. This is a sacrifice we will continue to make to all these West African corridor nations. There was an agreement that we will be providing them electricity in order not to build another dam along that axis of river Niger on perception or logic that building another dam in river Niger along that corridor will reduce the water current and inhibit efficiency of our Kainji dam.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Onlyonebuhari: 2:21pm On Sep 15, 2019
The import rice from Thailand, India and The US into their countries and their governments collect income duties and boost their economy. At the end of the day, they smuggled the rice into Nigeria and our Government will get nothing. Some idiots will still blame government for closing the border and same people will shout no jobs. May God grant our Graduates wisdom and understanding to support the truth.

4 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 15, 2019
slimthugchimee2:

Wait lemme understand this story well

yep. she entered seme via okada or bus or car. bought polythene of rice, and the wicked customs men seized it from her
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by murmee: 2:29pm On Sep 15, 2019
Regarding the video of people using Okada to smuggle foreign rice into the country, the Nigerian Customs Service should seize the rice and permanently destroy the Okadas. That would drive home the point that people should not Economically Sabotage Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Kerfuffle: 2:30pm On Sep 15, 2019
FG is on the right path. There's no gain without pain.
Nevertheless, ban medical tourism, overseas education for ALL government officials' ward. The 'pain' should go round.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by loswhite(m): 2:37pm On Sep 15, 2019
Fight importation of fuel that will be more beneficial to the citizens than rice importation.... useless government
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Tvegas(m): 2:52pm On Sep 15, 2019
pawesome:
oga..it will make things more expensive like it is already.. Rice is almost 21k for a bag hia in the north from the supposed 16k... Noatter what they do, there will be smuggling because the system is corrupt

What a poor and defeatist mindset. Why dont you fix the corruption issue?
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Nobody: 3:00pm On Sep 15, 2019
urahara:

Many Nigerians don't " refuse " to consume local rice.they go for foreign ones because they are way cheaper. It's not by force for a country to produce everything.The u.s with all their level of advancement still imports coffee ,honey and live animals. Of what use does buying expensive rice benefit the impoverished masses.
We can produce rice.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

INEC Announces Results In Benue, Jonathan Taking The Lead - Leadership / Suleiman Hashiemu Arrives APC Secretariat / Arthur Nzeribe Pictured At Gerald Irona's 51st Birthday Years After Death Rumors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.