Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,416 members, 7,815,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure (58335 Views)

FG Tells Togo, Benin, Niger To Pay Electricity Bills / Nigeria Meets Benin, Niger Over Border Closure / IMF Says Border Closure Negatively Impacting Benin, Niger Republics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by arsenal33: 10:29am On Sep 15, 2019
aolawale025:
Its the customs that ought to wake up. Let government regulate importation thru tariffs
you should wake up. Now you can get a job

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by makewetalk2: 10:29am On Sep 15, 2019
nigeria should learn how to use her power

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 15, 2019
Asquare84:
It a good move, this will encourage the growth of local industry and create job
you first grow local industry before making such move or you pay subsidy to local producers as they do in humans countries to limit the negative effects on workers

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Ttipsy(f): 10:34am On Sep 15, 2019
very good.

how wish it will affect South Africa Economy
they've really embarrassed Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 15, 2019
Good.

importation is the bane of this country.

we do not have producers per se, we just have smugglers and importers
these importers have destroyed multiple fledgling and established industries in this country
so many things we took for granted in our childhood are no more, replaced by cheap dangerous low quality imitation product put together in dubious Chinese cottage factories

ride on

we thank God it is not the atikulator who would sell us out to importer cabals

12 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by ednut1(m): 10:37am On Sep 15, 2019
Its temporary. Enough is enough. Benin cannot be feeding fat. If you wanna import rice do so thru apapa

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by ehissi(m): 10:38am On Sep 15, 2019
If they like, let them use Big eagle padlock and lock the border, nothing can stop my rice from flowing from way out there to way up hia.......
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by seankafor(m): 10:39am On Sep 15, 2019
It's time we put those smallies to their places

4 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by FulaniBandits: 10:41am On Sep 15, 2019
Our Northern Border is so open for even terrorists to troop in

North vs South border

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GGC5R-IsE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cQ1hzKX0iM

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 15, 2019
pawesome:
oga..it will make things more expensive like it is already.. Rice is almost 21k for a bag hia in the north from the supposed 16k... Noatter what they do, there will be smuggling because the system is corrupt
Patronize made in Nigeria rice instead

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by midolian(m): 10:45am On Sep 15, 2019
pawesome:
oga..it will make things more expensive like it is already.. Rice is almost 21k for a bag hia in the north from the supposed 16k... Noatter what they do, there will be smuggling because the system is corrupt
Things will only be expensive as it is now only for a short time. By the time people see the only option we have is to consume our locally produced goods, it will encourage more to go into the production. This in the end will bring competition among the producers... naturally, the prices of these items will crash.

Look beyond now, pls

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by maasoap(m): 10:47am On Sep 15, 2019
aolawale025:
Its the customs that ought to wake up. Let government regulate importation thru tariffs

You can't regulate smuggled items through tarrif. Because they're being brought in through the back door

9 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by galantjoe(m): 10:48am On Sep 15, 2019
Buhari govt is trying to suffocate the Already economically suffocated people. How can a responsible govt close borders because tgey want to stop smuggling. It is anti people and will pose another bigger social and economic problems. It is like using slam hammer to kill cockroach.

Where are buhari economic teams. May God help us out from this totalitarian govt
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by FuckDaMods: 10:49am On Sep 15, 2019
pawesome:
Go and buy local rice.. More nutritious and delicious. Goes for 11k undecided

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by VEE2010(m): 10:50am On Sep 15, 2019
From my point of view, I think the FG's decision is commendable. The Nigerian economy has been on a life support because of the economic sabotage as identified. We cannot continue to encourage this evil simply because, we are benefiting from buying cheap products smuggled to the country even to our own economic detriments.
I only hope that it will not be the usual policy to make a perilous jump once it directly affects the interests of an influential man.
We must learn to do things differently, opening borders again means that the value chain of corruption will continue to strive ...

17 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by maasoap(m): 10:50am On Sep 15, 2019
galantjoe:
Buhari govt is trying to suffocate the Already economically suffocated people. How can a responsible govt close borders because tgey want to stop smuggling. It is anti people and will pose another bigger social and economic problems. It is like using slam hammer to kill cockroach.

Where are buhari economic teams. May God help us out from this totalitarian govt

No smuggling, that's it. If you have items to be brought in, bring it in through proper channel. If USA or China do this, which of course they're doing, you will hail them. Smuggling kills economy, say no to smuggling

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Naiira(m): 10:51am On Sep 15, 2019
National interest is paramount in every sovereign state. This is the way to go really. If only we knew how much damage these so called neighbours has done to Nigeria. They literally made us what I describe as "A BASKET NATION." - The country can't get hold of its resources, due to several loopholes, pepetuated by these smugglers and architected by their government.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Burger01(m): 10:52am On Sep 15, 2019
One good step from this poor government. We need more good steps and actions in every facet smiley
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Realdeals(m): 10:54am On Sep 15, 2019
It's a good step but local spending must be increased in order to cushion the effect on the populace.

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by PCRepairer: 10:59am On Sep 15, 2019
hmmmmm ok

Check my signature for laptop repairs, if you know you know
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by MeeLan: 10:59am On Sep 15, 2019
mumu government, no smuggling without custom connection. u shut tour borders and your citizens suffer high prices.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by BlackfireX: 11:01am On Sep 15, 2019
NOC1:

Don’t sing oh my home, oh my home, when shall I see my home?.... when the time come and don’t come down from our Peaceful air plane to sing our National anthem.
Success to you bro.

Myopic imp .... I am here in Nigeria, must everyone agree to your twisted opinion
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Duggedised12(f): 11:02am On Sep 15, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Good !

How can Benin Republic with a population of 16millon become the sixth largest importer of rice in the world and the largest importer of rice in Africa.

Sometimes I doubt anything like Pan-africanism ever existed.

Yet, the president of Benin wants Nigeria to open its borders for further exploitation.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-largest-rice-importers-in-the-world.html
pan- africanism is a farce. They are only using Nigeria's head, when it comes to things like this, they are quick to remind Nigeria of pan-Africa but when its time to humilaite foreigners ,they start with Nigerians.

Nigeria is that friend that always declears drinks for everyone at the bar but when its time for serious discussion you leave him out. Big brother my foot.

Watch " deceptive promise of free trade " on youtube.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by renewable1(m): 11:02am On Sep 15, 2019
It's well

You want a 1kva complete solar inverter today?

CHECK MY SIGNATURE NOW
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by goldman777: 11:02am On Sep 15, 2019
Why are you promoting regional integration with a single currency called eco when we shut our borders to our fellow regional countries buhari is confused I swear.while regional bodies like the eu and euro currency grows just watch Nigeria and west African currency ECO slide uselessly into Oblivion
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by vaxx1: 11:03am On Sep 15, 2019
undecided
ORIENTATION101:
Very Good Nigeria is not doing Big Brother again. You neighboring countries have been milking us since.

The importers in your countries pays billions of dollars annually to ur respective government on rice duties. then smuggle the rice freely to Nigeria to sell and still make money without paying tax. What nonsense.

Buhari please cut of Benin,ghana,Togo,niger lights their debts is too much. Nigeria cannot be giving light freely when we citizens re paying high fees to enjoy power.

No more economic Big Brother again period
Another nuisance. who told you Nigeria supply Ghana, Togo light. too many blockhead on this site.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 15, 2019
Nigerian government must tax goods entering Nigeria from these countries, non essential goods that we can produce in Nigeria, should get higher taxing...let's take advantage of our market.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by omonla10(m): 11:06am On Sep 15, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Good !

How can Benin Republic with a population of 16millon become the sixth largest importer of rice in the world and the largest importer of rice in Africa.

Sometimes I doubt anything like Pan-africanism ever existed.

Yet, the president of Benin wants Nigeria to open its borders for further exploitation.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-largest-rice-importers-in-the-world.html
and little or no revenue is being generated in terms of duties and levies..

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by HeyCorleone(m): 11:10am On Sep 15, 2019
Asquare84:
It a good move, this will encourage the growth of local industry and create job

You do not grow an industry like that.

People cannot farm on empty bellies.

What you do is give a window that would allow importation between a particular time, while also sounding the need for local cultivation. This would allow people store the many they need now to consume while they wait for the ones they planted to grow.

Are the rice facilities we have now enough to feed the population? What about cost? The imported one is cheaper than homegrown. So these are things you need to consider. It is a nice move, but it needs a softer approach.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure by ken6488(m): 11:11am On Sep 15, 2019
wink wink

Good know more big brother

angry Even though I am not a fan of buhari

I commend this we have to put every one in his place

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bayo Adelabu Enjoying A Bowl Of Amala After Elections / Pastor Adeboye Visits Yahaya Bello, Describes Him As 'A Man Of Faith' (Pictures) / Photo of Buhari Watching Super Eagles Vs Burundi Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.