Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,515 members, 7,770,309 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:59 AM

"The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 (18646 Views)

When Hell Overflows. Story By Ufuoma Seunnla / A Lonely Heart (A Story) / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

"The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nightcrawler123: 4:59pm On Sep 15, 2019
[right][/right]olaiyadoam
BiadeForla
Hadow
Cadec007,
Solomombrown64, Theblessedman
Jomagibs...
drstainlex nkemdave
tunjilomo
Ultimategeneral Osasnidas
Nightie rosalieene Afz9095
Evold opeade939 Ann2012 Wonderz1 DZTZl mitchelljnr mekonglobal donteanz bimberry1307 do4luv14 Oroolorun explosive04 Phayth helenbee joshnes Bleeze2 Evold queenbetsy kaycee9242 preciousbouy Horladstar paqman rowdymind EkopSparoAyara queenitee boffinjay RegArmani coolio1 Solly1 TeameeMoses Phoenixchap cassbeat Teehsticckz bakeuhappy (welcome ma'am) Favouritetega smooth278 virtuedagirl queenbetsy arrestdarrester tonyxxx stevodot22 charminee Mynet11Godwinfury Oluwaseunliz
Souloho19

Am back again guys like I promised I will be posting a new story, I have come to serve you all what you deserve... It's still me your humble preciousbouy.. I can't post on my main account I was banned and am still banned lol....

1 Like

Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nightcrawler123: 7:52pm On Sep 15, 2019
CHAPTER ONE

ON THE RUN.

I am done.

I am so done with this mask of a life that I have been chasing down a rabbit hole for longer than my brain would like to remember.

It's over. It's done, and I am never going back to that man.

I looked back into the rearview window, it's just me on the road. Me and this heat up single cab Ford F-150 that I bought by trading in my shiny silver Mercedes that he bought for me.

He bought so many things for me that eventually it seemed like every inch of my body was bought. The diamond earrings in my cup holder were an anniversary gift that he bought for me. The tennis bracelet that was burning a hole in a pocket of my purse was a birthday gift from him. Even my fantastically fake french manicure and blonde hair still smelling of bleach were all things that he bought for me.

From the dirty rearview mirror, I could see the pain all over my face. The bruise on my lip from where he punched me. The swollen left eye that had turned an angry black and blue from where his other fist met me. My cheek had a slice, angry red and puffy, from where I fell onto a dresser when he tripped me.

And that was just my facemy body was even more broken in more ways than what met the eye.

I would not go back to him. Ever.

He came home angry. He always came home angry these days, unless he wanted to have sex. Then he was sweet, caring, and apologetic.

"I'm so sorry baby, I didn't mean it. "

"Baby, you know you push my buttons, don’tyou? Butyou're right, I 'm sorry, babe. "

Lies.

The day I decided to leave him was the day I started living again, and now on this open road when I was supposed to feel free, I still felt caged.

Because I knew he would come.

I couldn't let him find me. He could never find me, because if he did, I would certainly die.

We lived in Malibu. The home of blondes, fake boobs, fake tans, ridiculously large houses, and Instagram perfect lives. It all seemed so surreal at iirst for me; a small town girl from a city outside of Portland. The newness and the rollercoaster that was that lifestyle kept me so blinded to the bleaching; the bleaching of my own identity that is.

I had looked at a map for days, a map that I burned over a burner on my stove so there would be no evidence.

I had thought about every possibility and the likelihood of me being able to actually get there. So many were tempting, yet I found flaws in all. So at the end of the day, I started driving.

I had been drivingfor two days now only sleeping for around an hour at a rest stop along the way. I had been on 1-5 for what seemed like forever now, had decided to go to Alaska.

I knew no one in Alaska. Absolutely no one. It was perfect. I could disappear in a little cabin somewhere in the woods.

I could grow a garden, a big garden like my mother used to have before she got sick. I could get a job, I could work at a small town store, or I could do whatever the hell I wanted without fear of repercussion.

I only stopped for the necessities. Before I crossed the border, I spotted a Wal-Mart. I knew he would try to track me down. He would be like a hound on the hunt, and I could not risk that.

I loathed Wal-Mart and the establishment that it represented, so I was a Target girl. Like that was any different. But I knew he wouldn‘t look for me there, so that's what I decided on as I pulled into a parking place close to the entrance. Close enough so I could run back to my car quickly if need be.

I quickly tossed new clothes in my buggy: practical leggings, a few longsleeved t-shirts, a sweatshirt, and a rain jacket. I got some new underwear, comfortable cottons, and a few plain nude bras. It was liberating to pass up the lace. The lace that he loved. That he demanded that I always wear.

After finding the necessities, I quickly made my way to the hair dye. The long aisle full of every color of the rainbow that I could choose from; the many different identities that I could choose from.

But I went back to my roots. I always wanted to go back to my roots. I went back to the brown that was almost black that I had been born with. The dark color that seemed almost as dark as night as it contrasted with my skin that was naturally almost the color of moonlight in the dark.

It was time for a change, a change that was more than ready for.
I purchased my items at the self checkout, because I couldn't risk anyone seeing my face. N 0t only would they be horrified, but I was terrified of the trail I was leaving. I couldn't let him find me. Not ever.

The water was warm at the rest stop. I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed until my skin was raw. The baking soda paste that I had mixed was starting to wash away the orange that stained my skin, causing the water at my toes to turn into a resentful yellow.

My hair was another story. It was like my hair welcomed the change as it sucked up the dark dye like it was water in the desert.

My reflection almost scared me.

Before me was a woman who I had not seen for so many years, that she almost seemed like a stranger. She was like a doe scared of the light from an approaching vehicle as she looked back at me in the mirror. Her long wet dark hair stuck to her skin and her wild bluegrey eyes seemed to be glowing, storming, full of fear, thought, and frantic desperation. Yet there was fight behind her eyes. There was a fire that had not been there for many many years, yet here it was, starting to slowly burn.

Her skin was pale. Like porcelain gleaming as the water started to dry up from the hot shower. She was well built, yet she had allowed that build to diminish. Yoga and cute little Zumba classes at the local country club had not allowed her to become as strong as she should be, as she would be.

But it did not matter.

Seeing myself again was the life that I needed breathed back into me, and I wasn't about to lose it.

I slept in my truck again that night. I always slept in the truck, I was terrified of motels. In a motel, he could barge in and drag me out. At least in the truck, I could lock the doors and drive away.

The morning came earlier than I would have liked, but the new sun gave me hope. I had made it three days. Three days without him. I could make it three more days. I could make it many days Without him.
I stopped at a McDonalds along the way. God, I didn't realize how much I missed this food. I knew it was horrible for you. He used to go on and on and on about how awful it was for you, but it tasted so damn good.

Hash browns, a McGriddle, and a vanilla latte with whole milk because who in their right mind really wants to drink nonfat?

I turned the dial of my radio, trying to find a decent station while I took another sloppy bite out of my bacon, egg, and cheese McGriddle; grease dripping down my chin while the Eagles sang in the background.

I didn't really have a destination. I just had a plain paper map with a redpenciled drawn line to Anchorage, where I could then figure out where I wanted to settle. I could have used a GPS or a phone, but I couldn't afford to be tracked.

‘They were tempting at Wal-Mart. I almost bought an iPhone, I could have bought an iPhone, but I didn't. I was too scared. I was too scared that somehow he would trace it back to me. So at the check out line, I decided on a paper map. The kind my father used to love.

He had so many paper maps. It was his favorite thing to collect. He taught me how to use them, how to use a compass, and how to navigate my way without the use of petty technology. He taught me many things before his car accident. Before the slippery ice caused his 4Runner to skid off into the icy lake.

I smiled to myself. My father would be proud of me now. Using a paper map and going on an adventure of my own.

It was a long drive. Too long.

I had too much time to think on my own. To allow my mind to marinade on the many things that had transpired in my life. God how I screwed up. I should have never talked to him, I should have never gone with him, I should have just completely avoided him.
But I didn't.

Because at the end of the day, at that frat party in college, Marcus entranced me. He charmed me and made me feel like no other had before. He was good at that; he made anyone he spoke to think that for a second, they were the center of his universe. His universe. A place where in his mind, everyone revolved around him.

I scoffed to myself. The thought now repulsed me. But what repulsed me more, was that I used to buy into it. More than that, I drank that kool-aid like it was the one thing keeping me alive in this miserable world. I was foolish. I was so foolish to think that the life Marcus offered me was the one I wanted.

Karma is a bitch.

I got exactly what I wanted, but when I realized what it was doing to me-how it was eating away at my soul, I knew I had made a grave mistake. A mistake that almost cost me my life to fix.

But not again. No more. I was weak then, but I wasn't weak now. My mother didn't raise me until her last dying breath to be weak, to mold to someone else's form, or to forget who I am.

I was headed towards Talkeetna. The trees were thick and the sun was bright. Winter had faded and spring was starting to bloom, yet the bitter cold outside was a cruel reminder of winter‘s wrath. I pulled my coat, that I had picked up at a small shop in Anchorage, tighter around my waist then turned the heat up on my trusted truck. Ted is what I called him because he was cozy as a teddy-bear yet just as reliable.

Ted.

Ted and I were currently jamming out to some Beyonce that was blaring on the radio and eating gummy bears and Cheez-it's like no tomorrow. Junk food. I was going to eat and drink and do whatever the hell I liked, and I liked gummy bears and Cheez-it's.

My stomach still grumbled, though.

The empty carbs did nothing for my belly that had been living off them for the last few days. That and I was tired. Well, exhausted to be exact. The lack of sleep and actual food was starting to wear on me. It was probably time to stop. To eat. But Lord knows that I was afraid.

I looked in my rearview mirror again and cringed. The bruises had faded a slightly, but they were still ugly. Still ugly black and blue reminders of the fool I used to be. A weakling.

Sighing, I looked back at my map. There were a few small towns and campsites along the way, I could probably stop at a cafe or something then park Ted at a campsite for the night.

My stomach rumbled and twisted. I sighed again and drummed my fingers on the wheel while popping another gummy bear into my mouth.

Neon lights glowed in the distance, and soon they were not so distant. The words 'Diner' flickered in a muted blue that I was pretty confident used to be electric blue. I guess all things fade eventually.

It wasn't grungy and in fact, was quite clean. A small diner with pictures of locals and news clippings hung upon the walls.

I made my way to a booth in a corner near a large red 'Exit' sign. I was always looking for an exit these days.

"Can I help you dear?" a woman with a name tag that read 'Shirley' asked me with a voice that sounded almost like a frog's. She was probably a smoker. Even in her later years after her youth was fading, she wore her yellow diner dress and red apron proudly. Her red painted lips gave me a sympathetic smile and her eyes decorated with tacky blue eyeshadow did their best to hid any inquisitiveness.

I looked down at the menu and sighed. I hadn't ordered for myself for so long that it almost felt like I was doing it for the first time. "What's good?"

She looked down at her pad then back at me with another small smile. "Well, today we have a special. Grilled cheese and a mean tomato soup. It's damn good if you ask me."

I nodded under my hoodie that I had pulled around my face. "Sounds good then."

"To drink?"

"Um," I sighed again and fiddled with the menu, "can I just get a water and some coffee?"

"Sure thing dear. Sugar and cream?"

I froze. My heart started to flutter at the question. Did I want cream and sugar? Did I even like them? I had not been allowed to decide so for so long that the thought seemed to kick me into a minor panic. "Both please?"

She nodded and walked back to the kitchen. Stripping the paper off her pad and handing it to the cook who gave her a sly wink.

I shuddered. This was the most social interaction that I had for a few days.

No, this was the most social interaction that I had for years. Marcus used to do the talking for me. Marcus used to make the decisions for me. Marcus used to control my life for me.

But not anymore.

Shirley came back with my water and white coffee mug that she proceeded to fill with a steaming brown liquid. She set the cream and sugar down before me before turning back towards the kitchen again, leaving me to myself.

I stared at that brown liquid for the longest time. Did I want cream or sugar or both?

I started to drum my fmgers, then took a sip of the cool water sitting in front of me.

Why was this choice so hard?! It was just a stupid cup of coffee!

"It's never easy." Shirley's voice caused me to jump in my seat. I immediately started cursing myself for letting her sneak up on me. If she could, then who else could? 7

"What, um, what are you talking about?" I replied quietly.

She sighed and slid in front of me,

another white coffee cup in hand. She placed it in front of me and poured another glass.

I didn't move. I couldn't move. She had discovered me.

"When I left my first husband, I didn't know shit from a strawberry. He had taken so much of me from myself.

I remember I sat and almost had a breakdown in the shampoo aisle at the store. There were so many, and I had no idea which one to choose!"

"So what did you do?" I asked quickly with a hint of desperation.

A small smile tugged at her lips as she gazed at the two steaming coffee cups before me. "I bought them all, then decided which one I liked the most."

She took the cream with her long pinkpainted fingernails and poured it into one glass, then took the sugar and poured it into another before pushing them both towards me.

I gave her a small smile. I couldn't help but buy into Whatever Shirley was saying. My fingers, that were trying

so hard to conceal their trembling, took the first cup with only cream and placed it to my lips. I took a careful sip of the hot liquid, letting it swirl around my mouth and awaken my taste buds.

I cocked my head and stared more at the cup. "It's ok."

She pushed the second cup to me, Which I took to my curious lips and sipped. It was bitter then incredibly sweet. Two incredibly polar opposites dancing in my mouth. I shook my head and pushed it back to her.

Shirley smiled again and poured some sugar into the cup with only cream, then pushed it towards me again. I let out a huff of anxiety. It had been days since I had taken my medication that Marcus demanded I take. He demanded I take it after one his beatings. One of his beatings that was apparently driven by my 'anxiety.‘

I sipped the cup, with cream and sugar.

It was gentle and sweet, yet it still had the strength of the coffee underneath it.

It was perfect.

"I see that smile girl, I think that's your mix."

I nodded again and took another sip. "1 think you‘re right."

Suddenly her hand was on mine. I looked up to meet her large brown pools surrounded by faded blue eyeshadow. Her face held so many wrinkles, so many stories. For me, though, it felt like she was almost a blanket of safety. "It get‘s better. The first few days are the worst, but girl, you're a lot stronger than you think.‘

"Thank you," I whispered while looking back to my cup.

She stood up promptly as a bell rang and went to the counter where an order, probably my order since I was the only one in the diner, was waiting.

The smell of the grilled cheese on sourdough bread and the steamy tomato soup drew a more passionate growl from my stomach; I happily bit intoit,1etting the melted cheese stick to my teeth. I smiled to myself, my spirit feeling alive again with the feeling of actual food finding my stomach. I continued picking at the sandwich, dipping bits int the tomato soup and savoring the dripping bread.
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nightcrawler123: 7:53pm On Sep 15, 2019
The bell on the front door chimed and my eyes snapped to attention. A set of three burly men walked in, Wild looking, and made their way to a booth not far from mine.

My lingers stopped their task and my throat almost forgot how to swallow. I had no reason to be scared of them, but yet their aura gave off a feeling of danger, so much danger.

Maybe I was being foolish again and making assumptions about people who I didn't even know. Or maybe I wasn't. But I felt lire light up in my belly, tire that I was afraid of because I knew how foolish it could make me. It made me hold to do things that I probably should not do. Or maybe I should. I didn't know. I hadn't been allowed to appease the flre in so long, to dance with it, that I wasn't sure what dancing with it would do.

I tried to continue to eat my sandwich, but I felt like a deer watching its predator. My eyes could not take themselves away from the men, away from the three large men that sat only a few seats away from me.

Golden eyes.

Golden eyes from a man with shoulder length blonde hair, tied half up, met mine. It was only a second. But it was a second too long.

His eyes assessed my body then a smirk pulled at his lips. Panic arose in my core. I finished my sandwich quicker than I would have liked and flagged down Shirley for the check.

She walked back to me with my change and another bag. "For the road dear."

"You didn't have to do that."

She looked back to the three men, then to me. "Don't worry about it, now it's probably best that you get going darlin'."

I nodded to her, took my to-go bag and change, then made my way quickly out the back door I was sitting close to. I fumbled with the keys a nervously, looking back through the window at the group men who were now all staring at me like I was their next meal.

I shivered as I unlocked Ted and quickly climbed inside. Inside the safety blanket that I knew would keep the monsters away.

I looked in the rearview as I was pulling out. Golden eyes, three sets of them, all burned into mine I hadn't ever seen anything like it.

"What the hell are they feeding the people up here?" I mumbled.

The feeling didn't leave me, the fear. Those men had struck a familiar chord in me. I stepped down on the gas peddle. Maybe if I drove faster, then I would be able to evade this feeling. This feeling of fear that ate away at

my bones, had been eating away at my bones. I had to be rid of it.

The tall trees that started to surround my truck as I made it through the long winding road that led me more and more to freedom. I had no idea what I was going to do or where I was going to stay. Up to now, I had just been sleeping in the truck underneath my coats, but now, I would find my own home. My cash was still mildly ample, and I could probably find a room or apartment. Something that was enough until I could get a job and save enough to fmd something more permanent. Maybe I would get lucky. Maybe I would find a small cottage nestled in the woods. Away from people. Away from prying eyes. Away from him.

A small dirt road came into view and I quickly discarded my map and started to steer my truck towards it. Dust flew up behind my stuck as I turned onto it, and dusk was starting to overcome the day, and night would be here soon. A small clearing, a small campsite, awaited me just a quarter mile down. It would be the perfect refuge for the night.

I quickly parked the truck and surveyed the area. It didn't seem like anyone was here, and it looked mostly quiet. Exactly what I needed; some damn peace and quiet.

I parked Ted and quickly hopped out into the crisp night air. Crickets were barely chirping, I guess some of them survived the winter; if they could survive, maybe I could too.

My flrst thought was to build a fire, which I wasn't too experienced in, but I did buy some lire-starter logs and matches along the way. It may be cheating, but at least it would keep me warm. I started to gather some smaller logs, I read somewhere that the smaller logs are what you're supposed to light first.

It was a crunch that snapped my head around, causing me to drop my bundle of small branches. I felt frozen. I felt stiff. I felt like I was going to pass out.

There was a man. Older, maybe in his mid-Iifties? He had gray hair that had to have reached his shoulders, but it was pulled back behind him, so I couldn't tell. He had on worn j eans and brown boots. Brown boots that were smashing out the last bits of the cigarette he had been smoking. He tucked his worn hands into his red and black Winter coat, taking me in suspiciously with his silver eyes.

"You're trespassing."

I let out a shaky breath and looked back at my truck, Ted, that was only a few steps away. "I didn't see a sign. I thought it was a campsite."

He cocked his head and assessed me some more. More than I would have liked him too. "Well, this is my property and you're trespassing."

"I was just looking for a place to stay the night, I would be gone before dawn." God, maybe he would just shed some mercy and let me stay.

He spat out towards his side before digging into his pocket and pulling out a carton of cigarettes. "No can do miss. You can't stay here."

He lit his cigarette, a light that seemed to suck out the fire that was burning in me. I nodded. I wasn't going to argue with him. Even at his age, he seemed impressively built. Strong. Like he had been raised by bears, a Tarzan of Alaska. "I just, I was looking for a campsite. Do you know one close by?"

He took a drag of his cigarette and took a few steps towards me. Too many steps. I backed away towards my truck until I felt my back hit the metal. My fingers reached for my keys as he let out a breath of smoke.

He looked at my face. He was close enough to see. To see the bruises and damage that had been done. Something flickered in his eyes, but it passed too quickly before I could recognize what it was. "There's one about three miles from here. It will be one your right. Just keep an eye out."

"Thank you," I breathed out. He started to walk away, smoke from his cigarette lingering in the air.

He turned back towards me, looking back over his shoulder for a pregnant moment. "Be careful, girl. IfI was you, I would head back to Anchorage."

I quickly opened the driver's door and shook my head. "I can't do that, I have to keep moving."

He nodded. "Well then, better get moving. Stay close to that truck, wouldn't want any wild animals to get you."

I shivered.

Who the hell is this guy? How did he even get here ?!

"Thanks," I muttered before hopping in Ted and practically skidding out of there.

I got about a half mile down the road before I felt myself start to relax. Start to breathe. I didn't even realize that I had been holding my breath.

"Shit Charlotte, what the hell was that?!"

I let out a shaky breath. I was ok. I would be ok. Just a crazy old man, nothing to get scared about.

You're strong Charlotte. You're strong, remember what dad toldyou...

I swallowed down my fear and kept my eye out. The turn, if the crazy old coot was right, should have been coming up soon.

It was a campsite. A long road winding through it. It was mostly empty, and I was grateful. but that didn't stop me from driving to the very back of it.

I knew there were no people, but my gut told me not to take any chances. By now, he was probably furious with rage; a rage that would surely see my demise.

I parked Ted near a beautiful clearing. There was a stream trickling nearby, and there was plenty of limbs on the ground to collect.

Making myself busy, I built a small fire with my starter logs. Thank God for them. They seemed to feed the fire all on their own, slowly burning and feeding the flickering beast.

I took out the to-go package. Shirley had apparently packed me another grilled cheese and some fries. I smiled to myself as I thought of the kind woman. Kindness. I almost had forgotten how powerful it was.

The sandwich was not cold, but it was not warm. It was still good, though, as were the fries. I ate them mindlessly and let the flames dancing over my small fire capture my gaze.

The fire flickered on and started to dwindle as the darkness set in. I climbed back into Ted and locked the doors. I always locked the doors. I don't think I would ever stop locking the doors.

The jacket that I had pulled around me was warm, I even decided to splurge myself and keep the heater on for a while longer than I had planned. It was perfect. Cozy like a den of my own, a world away from all my troubles. It was a far cry from the luxury that I used to live in, but the freedom it gave me was worth more than all the gold in the world.

I sighed and laid my head on my makeshift pillow of clothes and a backpack. My eyes started to drift, slowly, so slowly into bliss.

Then there was a howl. ]The bell on the front door chimed and my eyes snapped to attention. A set of three burly men walked in, Wild looking, and made their way to a booth not far from mine.

My lingers stopped their task and my throat almost forgot how to swallow. I had no reason to be scared of them, but yet their aura gave off a feeling of danger, so much danger.

Maybe I was being foolish again and making assumptions about people who I didn't even know. Or maybe I wasn't. But I felt lire light up in my belly, tire that I was afraid of because I knew how foolish it could make me. It made me hold to do things that I probably should not do. Or maybe I should. I didn't know. I hadn't been allowed to appease the flre in so long, to dance with it, that I wasn't sure what dancing with it would do.

I tried to continue to eat my sandwich, but I felt like a deer watching its predator. My eyes could not take themselves away from the men, away from the three large men that sat only a few seats away from me.

Golden eyes.

Golden eyes from a man with shoulder length blonde hair, tied half up, met mine. It was only a second. But it was a second too long.

His eyes assessed my body then a smirk pulled at his lips. Panic arose in my core. I finished my sandwich quicker than I would have liked and flagged down Shirley for the check.

She walked back to me with my change and another bag. "For the road dear."

"You didn't have to do that."

She looked back to the three men, then to me. "Don't worry about it, now it's probably best that you get going darlin'."

I nodded to her, took my to-go bag and change, then made my way quickly out the back door I was sitting close to. I fumbled with the keys a nervously, looking back through the window at the group men who were now all staring at me like I was their next meal.

I shivered as I unlocked Ted and quickly climbed inside. Inside the safety blanket that I knew would keep the monsters away.

I looked in the rearview as I was pulling out. Golden eyes, three sets of them, all burned into mine I hadn't ever seen anything like it.

"What the hell are they feeding the people up here?" I mumbled.

The feeling didn't leave me, the fear. Those men had struck a familiar chord in me. I stepped down on the gas peddle. Maybe if I drove faster, then I would be able to evade this feeling. This feeling of fear that ate away at

my bones, had been eating away at my bones. I had to be rid of it.

The tall trees that started to surround my truck as I made it through the long winding road that led me more and more to freedom. I had no idea what I was going to do or where I was going to stay. Up to now, I had just been sleeping in the truck underneath my coats, but now, I would find my own home. My cash was still mildly ample, and I could probably find a room or apartment. Something that was enough until I could get a job and save enough to fmd something more permanent. Maybe I would get lucky. Maybe I would find a small cottage nestled in the woods. Away from people. Away from prying eyes. Away from him.

A small dirt road came into view and I quickly discarded my map and started to steer my truck towards it. Dust flew up behind my stuck as I turned onto it, and dusk was starting to overcome the day, and night would be here soon. A small clearing, a small campsite, awaited me just a quarter mile down. It would be the perfect refuge for the night.

I quickly parked the truck and surveyed the area. It didn't seem like anyone was here, and it looked mostly quiet. Exactly what I needed; some damn peace and quiet.

I parked Ted and quickly hopped out into the crisp night air. Crickets were barely chirping, I guess some of them survived the winter; if they could survive, maybe I could too.

My flrst thought was to build a fire, which I wasn't too experienced in, but I did buy some lire-starter logs and matches along the way. It may be cheating, but at least it would keep me warm. I started to gather some smaller logs, I read somewhere that the smaller logs are what you're supposed to light first.

It was a crunch that snapped my head around, causing me to drop my bundle of small branches. I felt frozen. I felt stiff. I felt like I was going to pass out.

There was a man. Older, maybe in his mid-Iifties? He had gray hair that had to have reached his shoulders, but it was pulled back behind him, so I couldn't tell. He had on worn j eans and brown boots. Brown boots that were smashing out the last bits of the cigarette he had been smoking. He tucked his worn hands into his red and black Winter coat, taking me in suspiciously with his silver eyes.

"You're trespassing."

I let out a shaky breath and looked back at my truck, Ted, that was only a few steps away. "I didn't see a sign. I thought it was a campsite."

He cocked his head and assessed me some more. More than I would have liked him too. "Well, this is my property and you're trespassing."

"I was just looking for a place to stay the night, I would be gone before dawn." God, maybe he would just shed some mercy and let me stay.

He spat out towards his side before digging into his pocket and pulling out a carton of cigarettes. "No can do miss. You can't stay here."

He lit his cigarette, a light that seemed to suck out the {ire that was burning in me. I nodded. I wasn't going to argue with him. Even at his age, he seemed impressively built. Strong. Like he had been raised by bears, a Tarzan of Alaska. "I just, I was looking for a campsite. Do you know one close by?"

He took a drag of his cigarette and took a few steps towards me. Too many steps. I backed away towards my truck until I felt my back hit the metal. My fingers reached for my keys as he let out a breath of smoke.

He looked at my face. He was close enough to see. To see the bruises and damage that had been done. Something flickered in his eyes, but it passed too quickly before I could recognize what it was. "There's one about three miles from here. It will be one your right. Just keep an eye out."

"Thank you," I breathed out. He started to walk away, smoke from his cigarette lingering in the air.

He turned back towards me, looking back over his shoulder for a pregnant moment. "Be careful, girl. IfI was you, I would head back to Anchorage."

I quickly opened the driver's door and shook my head. "I can't do that, I have to keep moving."

He nodded. "Well then, better get moving. Stay close to that truck, wouldn't want any wild animals to get you."

I shivered.

Who the hell is this guy? How did he even get here ?!

"Thanks," I muttered before hopping in Ted and practically skidding out of there.

I got about a half mile down the road before I felt myself start to relax. Start to breathe. I didn't even realize that I had been holding my breath.

"Shit Charlotte, what the hell was that?!"

I let out a shaky breath. I was ok. I would be ok. Just a crazy old man, nothing to get scared about.

You're strong Charlotte. You're strong, remember what dad toldyou...

I swallowed down my fear and kept my eye out. The turn, if the crazy old coot was right, should have been coming up soon.

It was a campsite. A long road winding through it. It was mostly empty, and I was grateful. but that didn't stop me from driving to the very back of it.

I knew there were no people, but my gut told me not to take any chances. By now, he was probably furious with rage; a rage that would surely see my demise.

I parked Ted near a beautiful clearing. There was a stream trickling nearby, and there was plenty of limbs on the ground to collect.

Making myself busy, I built a small fire with my starter logs. Thank God for them. They seemed to feed the fire all on their own, slowly burning and feeding the flickering beast.

I took out the to-go package. Shirley had apparently packed me another grilled cheese and some fries. I smiled to myself as I thought of the kind woman. Kindness. I almost had forgotten how powerful it was.

The sandwich was not cold, but it was not warm. It was still good, though, as were the fries. I ate them mindlessly and let the flames dancing over my small fire capture my gaze.

The fire flickered on and started to dwindle as the darkness set in. I climbed back into Ted and locked the doors. I always locked the doors. I don't think I would ever stop locking the doors.

The jacket that I had pulled around me was warm, I even decided to splurge myself and keep the heater on for a while longer than I had planned. It was perfect. Cozy like a den of my own, a world away from all my troubles. It was a far cry from the luxury that I used to live in, but the freedom it gave me was worth more than all the gold in the world.

I sighed and laid my head on my makeshift pillow of clothes and a backpack. My eyes started to drift, slowly, so slowly into bliss.

Then there was a howl.

1 Like

Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nightcrawler123: 8:07pm On Sep 15, 2019
olaiyadoam BiadeForla Hadow Cadec007, Solomombrown64, Theblessedman Jomagibs drstainlex nkemdave tunjilomo Ultimategeneral Osasnidas Nightie rosalieene Afz909 Evold opeade939 Ann2012 Wonderz1 DZTZl mitchelljnr mekonglobal donteanz bimberry1307 do4luv14 Oroolorun explosive04 Phayth helenbee joshnes Bleeze2 Evold queenbetsy kaycee9242 Horladstar paqman rowdymind EkopSparoAyara queenitee boffinjay RegArmani coolio1 Solly1 TeameeMoses Phoenixchap cassbeat Teehsticckz bakeuhappy (welcome ma'am) Favouritetega smooth278 virtuedagirl queenbetsy arrestdarrester tonyxxx stevodot22 charminee Mynet11Godwinfury Oluwaseunliz Souloho19 Riele IamKingoludav Ann2012 Eberechi24 favouritetega ladysunshine toyean1507 phoenixchap mitchelljnr igyeseh mekonglobal Silensa cerowo stevodot22 Chisiudeh shekinah190 kaycee9242 rchilee mimilight arrestdarrester iamloyalty excelmerry Evold dview001 pToretto rayvelez raingirl coolie10 MhisTahrah explosive04 Helenbee WHOcarex princessadeola crazy oluwaseunliz queenitee cylovee Boffinjay rapfrick okeyben10 EkopsparoAyara khennykhay pinkfeet Honeydawealth charminee ifemism02 paafin KpakoGIN rowdymind Gemini6

I have dropped something here for you guys, come read and let me know what you think about it..
#preciousbouy
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nightcrawler123: 8:13pm On Sep 15, 2019

Then there was a howl.

It was loud. It was too loud. Close. Too close.

I shot up in my seat. Heart starting to flutter, eyes frantically searching everywhere, but there was nothing.

"It's probably further away," I mumbled.

I laid back down and squeezed my eyes shut. I just needed to Iind sleep. A little sleep. It was probably because I was sleep deprived.

I almost dozed off when a loud thud yanked me out of the Sandman‘s pull. My truck shook a bit from the collision. I looked everywhere but didn't see anything. Another thud. This time on the tail.

"Time to go," I muttered.

My fiingers dug into my jacket pocket, fishing for my keys that had fallen amongst the other random items I kept in there.

Another thud. This time, it was harder and closer to the cabin.

I tried not to scream and pulled the keys out of the pocket. My shaking fingers barely got them in the ignition, and the ignition barely started to the car. My old beat up Ford that was choosing now of all times to give up.

"Come on Ted!" I hissed.

The engine turned and my heart simmered down a hair. "Thank God!"

Before my foot could shift the truck into drive, a loud crash rocked the cabin from the passenger side, drawing a scream from my mouth and denting the door.

"What the hell?!"

I couldn't let it phase me. I had come too far to be killed now. I wasn't going to let Marcus kill me, and I wasn't about to let whatever this was either.

I hit the gas and Ted kicked up gravel as his tires struggled to gain traction on the ground. I made it about ten feet before something crashed directly into the front of the truck. sending me sideways. Then something else crashed into my side, knocking me over to the passenger door.

I tried to claw my way back to my seat, but another crash shook the truck, then another almost lifted the truck, then suddenly I blinked and the truck was falling onto its side.

I screamed again and covered my face. When I opened my eyes I was met with silence. Pure and horrifying silence.

I couldn't stay here, but I couldn't leave either. Whatever this was, it had planned this. Trapped me like a wolf traps its prey.

The window cracked.

The window cracked as a dark figure started to crawl on top of the driver's side door. I had to run. It was run or let whatever that thing was kill me from the corner I was pressed against.

I held my breath as the thing jumped off, and seemed to be walking around the rear of the truck. The windshield was shattered, and I didn't want to make too much noise. So I opened the cover of the sunroof because Ted was one fancy ass truck and quietly opened the glass. The air was cool and it was still quiet outside. Too quiet.

But I couldn't stay. I had to run.

Maybe I could make it back to that old guy? Maybe he didn't livefar...

I was a runner in high school. I loved to run. I would run and run and run and run until my legs would literally give out on me. My mother used to call me 'her little gazelle.‘ I hadn‘t run like I used too since I had been with Marcus, but that didn't matter. Legs didn't forget how to run just because they had not done so in a while.

I didn't waste time as I squeezed through the opening. I ran.

My legs pumped underneath me and my lungs started to fuel my body with the oxygen it needed to flee. My feet dodged limbs and jumped over failed branches, and my hands pushed away bushes that only got in my way. Adrenaline rushed through my body, coursing through my veins and brought fire to my feet that were racing across the ground.

Hands grabbed my waist and pulled me down roughly. Tumbling to the ground, I found myself pinned down but a weight much heavier than my own. My eyes flickered open to meet glowing gold ones.

Golden eyes and golden hair, the man from the diner.

He smiled a sickeningly wicked smile down to me, the same smile Marcus used to have before he was about to beat me the use my body as he pleased.

Before the man could move, I kicked between his legs then made another mad dash for it. I could hear his groans fading behind me, but my feet kept carrying me. Growling.

Growling coming from my side caused my head to whip around, a mistake. I was tackled again by a large brown blur. I tumbled to the ground hard, my knees scraping against the dirt as I fell onto a patch of leaves. I hid my head against something hard, but that's not what caught my attention.

Golden eyes prowled towards me now. Golden eyes on four legs. Four legs that were attached to a wolf. A big ass wolf that was more like a small horse. An animal that was licking its lips at its next meal.

Me.

I screamed and kicked it away, but it seemed to just laugh at me; a strange wolfy laugh. I scooted back and climbed back to my shaking legs, that were trying to carry me away, but I was stopped. Another wolf golden caked with mud prowled towards me. I turned around again and tried to find an exit, an escape, but the blonde man just stalked towards me, smiling like he had just won the lottery.

"I always love a good chase."

I felt my breath catch I my throat.

"Stay-st-stay away from me!"

He looked at the two giant wolves that were still growling and eyeing me up for size and shook his head. "I don't think so."

I let out a sharp breath. My eyes trying to Iind an exit, my brain trying to work out all the possibilities of how this could end. "Just let me go, please, I won't tell anyone, not a word!"

"I don't think so little lady," A gruff voice replied from behind me.

I turned quickly and felt my heart drop into my stomach. The wolf was gone but not in his place was another man from the diner. Another large man

that looked like he wanted to have his wicked way with me after his friend was done.

"What the? That the hell-" Slam.

Slammed into the dirt by the blonde man who took my shock as an opportunity to strike. I tried to claw my way out. Scratching his arms, kicking, screaming, and beatihg him with all that I had.

But it did not phase him. He just laughed lowly before slapping me hard, waking up wounds that were trying to heal.

Tears were streaming down my face as he started to unbutton his pants. More tears fell as he undid mine. I couldn't let this happen again, but I was trapped.

He pinned both of my hands above my head with just one of his bear-like paws, easily restraining me. I kicked and kicked and kicked but he just slapped me again with his free hand. I saw stars and tasted blood.

I shuddered as a panicked breath escaped my lips. Maybe if I closed my eyes it would all disappear. Maybe if I turned my head away, the feeling of him forcing my legs apart would be but a distant memory. Maybe if I just laid here, just long enough, it would be over. It would be over and they would just leave me.

Maybe.

But I was tired of just laying down without a light. I would fight.

I kicked him hard again, and again, and again. But it did nothing. I tried to bite him when rubbed himself on me, but he only laughed and said. "I like it a little rough too girl."

I screamed, but he just covered my mouth and muffled it away.

He almost had me. Was almost inside me. Until he was suddenly ripped off me.

It took me a moment to comprehend the fact that he was no longer on me, but not long enough for me to quickly pull my tights back up and scrambled to knees. My shaking knees that felt like they would give out from the previous struggle.

A tall dark blur was tearing the golden man limb from limb, literally. Another blur, grayish and black was lighting the two large wolves on his own.

I wasn't going to wait to see what happened, I ran.

I ran as fast as my legs would let me, back to Ted, back to safety.

A sharp pain and a jerk caused me to fall like a large tree in the woods onto the ground. I looked back and a golden wolf had my leg in its mouth like a chew toy, jerking it back and forth; sinking deeper and deeper into my flesh.

I let out a blood-curdling scream as it released my let then started to step towards me. Blood dripping down its hairy chin and it's long tongue lickng it up like candy.

It lowered itself to me. Its breath danced along my chest with hot need, hungry desire. Tears were flowing as I started to embrace my fate.

But then he was gone. He was knocked into a tree but the grayish black blur I had seen earlier.

I rolled to my side, my leg handicapping me and shooting pain through my body. It was a wolf that I saw. A large black wolf that was starting to gray, to silver.

He danced around the golden wolf like it was his toy, then struck with a ferocity that made me want to vomit from the fear it churned in my belly. The golden wolf didn't even stand a chance. He was dead before he could even snap his jaw; bleeding onto the clean forest floor.

I tried to stand but my leg felt like a thousand fires were blazing up it. An anguished moan came out of my lips as I fell back to the forest floor. I looked back at my leg that was spilling blood, precious blood. I was losing too much of it.

I was going to die I was sure of it.

My vision was fading; fading, yet I tried to hold on. I tried to hold onto the last bits of life that were waning away from my grasp, but it seemed futile. Darkness swirled around me, calling to me gently. It was going to be impossible to resist the temptation.

I blinked my eyes and fell a little deeper. I opened them and blazing silver eyes stared back at me. I was curious, but my curiosity was killed by the darkness that pulled me into its embrace.

It was peaceful. Tragically peaceful. Then again, I always wanted peace.

Remember to comment Guys !

©Preciousbouy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by Ann2012(f): 9:40pm On Sep 15, 2019
First to comment
Thanks for the mention OP, one carton of red wine for you.

1 Like

Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nightcrawler123: 10:43pm On Sep 15, 2019
Ann2012:
First to comment Thanks for the mention OP, one carton of red wine for you.
na so.... Thanks dear

2 Likes

Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by cassbeat(m): 8:56am On Sep 16, 2019
nightcrawler123:
olaiyadoam BiadeForla Hadow Cadec007, Solomombrown64, Theblessedman Jomagibs drstainlex nkemdave tunjilomo Ultimategeneral Osasnidas Nightie rosalieene Afz909 Evold opeade939 Ann2012 Wonderz1 DZTZl mitchelljnr mekonglobal donteanz bimberry1307 do4luv14 Oroolorun explosive04 Phayth helenbee joshnes Bleeze2 Evold queenbetsy kaycee9242 Horladstar paqman rowdymind EkopSparoAyara queenitee boffinjay RegArmani coolio1 Solly1 TeameeMoses Phoenixchap cassbeat Teehsticckz bakeuhappy (welcome ma'am) Favouritetega smooth278 virtuedagirl queenbetsy arrestdarrester tonyxxx stevodot22 charminee Mynet11Godwinfury Oluwaseunliz Souloho19 Riele IamKingoludav Ann2012 Eberechi24 favouritetega ladysunshine toyean1507 phoenixchap mitchelljnr igyeseh mekonglobal Silensa cerowo stevodot22 Chisiudeh shekinah190 kaycee9242 rchilee mimilight arrestdarrester iamloyalty excelmerry Evold dview001 pToretto rayvelez raingirl coolie10 MhisTahrah explosive04 Helenbee WHOcarex princessadeola crazy oluwaseunliz queenitee cylovee Boffinjay rapfrick okeyben10 EkopsparoAyara khennykhay pinkfeet Honeydawealth charminee ifemism02 paafin KpakoGIN rowdymind Gemini6

I have dropped something here for you guys, come read and let me know what you think about it..
#preciousbouy
OK space booked ...
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by Tygold1(f): 3:04pm On Sep 16, 2019
I love vampire and werewolf stories, and this is the start of an awesome one. Keep it coming, n’ I'm following. cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by phoenixchap: 8:42am On Sep 17, 2019
I do hope no one saw me slide into d front seat with my chocolate and pop corn in hand wink
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nightcrawler123: 9:14pm On Sep 17, 2019
CHAPTER TWO
SHORTGUN

[b]olaiyadoam BiadeForla Hadow Cadec007, Solomombrown64, Theblessedman Jomagibs drstainlex nkemdave tunjilomo Ultimategeneral Osasnidas Nightie rosalieene Afz909 Evold opeade939 Ann2012 Wonderz1 DZTZl mitchelljnr mekonglobal donteanz bimberry1307 do4luv14 Oroolorun explosive04 Phayth helenbee joshnes Bleeze2 Evold queenbetsy kaycee9242 Horladstar paqman rowdymind EkopSparoAyara queenitee boffinjay RegArmani coolio1 Solly1 TeameeMoses Phoenixchap cassbeat Teehsticckz bakeuhappy (welcome ma'am) Favouritetega smooth278 virtuedagirl queenbetsy arrestdarrester tonyxxx stevodot22 charminee Mynet11Godwinfury Oluwaseunliz Souloho19 Riele IamKingoludav Ann2012 Eberechi24 favouritetega ladysunshine toyean1507 phoenixchap mitchelljnr igyeseh mekonglobal Silensa cerowo stevodot22 Chisiudeh shekinah190 kaycee9242 rchilee mimilight arrestdarrester iamloyalty excelmerry Evold dview001 pToretto rayvelez raingirl coolie10 MhisTahrah explosive04 Helenbee WHOcarex princessadeola crazy oluwaseunliz queenitee cylovee Boffinjay rapfrick okeyben10 EkopsparoAyara khennykhay pinkfeet Honeydawealth charminee ifemism02 paafin KpakoGIN rowdymind Gemini6[/b]

"She won't survive, you know that," a cold voice snarled out.

"I know but, well, if she's going to die anyway, then what harm could it do?"

I blinked my eyes open. Pain.

I sucked in a sharp breath as the pain from my leg shot up my body like a rocket. It took my breath away; a breath that I quickly tried to find so I could start to breathe through this terror.

My head rolled to the side. It was dim in the room, a small lamp providing the only source of light.

It looked like a cabin of some sort. Wood paneled walls decorated with different trinkets. A photo of some ducks, a wooden bass With gold hooks for hanging coats, and a sign that said 'The best meat is red meat.’

I tried not to panic. These people did save me after all, Whoever they were. If they wanted to kill me, they probably would have already done it, unless they were a sick pair of psycho killers...

I took another breath and tried to push myself up. Pain shot through my leg like wildiire, causing me to collapse back on the bed that I was tucked into.

My leg was wrapped in a thick bandage, and I was thankful. I didn't want to see the mangled mess that was left of it. Left from what that creature did to me.

That creature. What the hell was that?!

My heart raced as the images of my attack poured into my brain. Wolves. Big ass wolves. I had never seen anything like it. I tried to push away those images. Push away the images of the wolf tearing into my leg, or the golden-eyed devil who was trying to sate his own needs with my body.

I wouldn't cry. Now was not the time. I needed to get up and tigure out where the hell I was, and who had saved me.

"She's just going to be a burden and a royal pain in my ass," a man groaned out from behind the door, a green door that separated me from the two men who were talking right outside.

"It's only a month. Barely. Others have survived, she could too," a man pleaded.

"I've had enough of this," the other man almost growled.

Light pooled into the room as the door was thrown open and the light's turned abruptly on. I had to shield my eyes with my arm, so they could adjust to the harshness. My eyes blinked rapidly, squeezing hard as I tried to make out what was happening.

A gun. A shotgun was being pointed at me.

I scrambled up as best I could, backing myself into the corner of the best and using a pillow as a shield. Like that would have helped.

It was the man. The gray haired goon who told me to get off his property before.

He was the one that saved me?"

"Please! Please, I mean no harm, please don't kill me," I cried out.

"Levi don't do this, you don't want her blood on your hands," a tall man with dark hair, almost black, and brown eyes like chocolate pleaded. He looked at me frantically then back at Levi, who was shooting daggers at me with his silver eyes. "Levi, please."

Levi clenched his jaw. "She's going to die anyways, she won't survive the turn. I mean, just look at her! She's a black and blue skeleton as it is."

I winced at his words. I winced then

I got angry. I felt a bubble of anger surface. Anger that I hadn't allowed to take charge for so long now. But not anymore. "How dare you!? You don't know a thing about me! Not one damn thing! I don't know what this 'turn' thing is you're going on about, but I can tell you that I haven't fought for so long to just die now. Not after everything."

My own words seemed to shock me as they did the two men in the room.

The black haired man in the room was staring intensely at Levi, who was in turn, staring at me with silver eyes that seemed to churn like a storm.

"Girl, believe me, I'd be doing you a favor."

"Levi," the black haired man said while placing a hand cautiously on Levi's shoulder.

A growl erupted from Levi's chest causing the black haired man to hiss and bare his long white fangs to Levi, who looked like he was about to explode from all the anger building up in him.

Fangs. He had fangs.

"What the hell?!" I gasped out and scooted myself further to the edge of the bed.

The black haired man quickly closed his mouth and gave me an apologetic glance before stepping closer to Levi, who seemed to be brooding, gun still pointed at me with a labored breath. "Levi what's there to lose? A month of your time? Compared to the lifetimes we will live? Please, don't do this."

Levi whipped his head back to the man and let out a hot breath while slowly lowering his gun. "Fine. But this is on you. Do you understand?"

The man nodded as Levi started to march out of the room. He looked back over his shoulder and said, "Wait, we need to tell her. You have to show her."

"Show me what?" I looked between the two men quickly.

The black haired man sat on the bed a few safe feet away from me. He gave me a small smile filled with kindness and for the first time, it looked like I saw a bit of hope. "What you're going to become."

"If she lives," Levi growled out.

The man shot his friend a look before turning back to me. "What‘s your name?"

I clung the pillow closer to my torso and swallowed down my fear. They were going to kill me, not right away at least. "Charlotte."

He smiled gently again and sighed. "Charlotte, do you remember what happened to you? The attack?"

I nodded. I remembered all too well.

"Charlotte, tell me. Tell us what you saw," the black haired man gently prodded.

I hit my lip and tried to be brave. What people don't realize about things like this, is they are much more terrifying in your mind. A place where the situation can be turned into the most vile poison. "There was a man and these two dogs, wolves. They were huge."

"And?"

I looked up as Levi decided to plop into a brown wicker chair with a red and white polka-dotted cushion. His eyes were still on me, burning through the strong facade I had put up.

I let out a shaky breath and met the black haired man's eyes. "They attacked me. I tried to run. There was another man, but he was gone before I knew what was happening." I blinked hack tears that were starting to pool at the edges of my eyes. "They tried to rape me. They were so close to raping me."

"I know," the black haired man said then sighed again. "What happened next?"

Quickly wiping my eyes and pushing back a sob I tried to gather myself and contain the bitter pain. "Something tore him off me. I ran, I didn't look. I just wanted out of there. But I was attacked again by this wolf, he had my leg in his mouth like it was a chew toy."

I didn't realize how much I had been shaking until a hand gently covered mine. The black haired man opened his mouth once and closed it before opening it again. "What happened after that?"

"A black wolf. Black with gray starting to come in. He killed him, the wolf that hit me. That's all I remember," my voice said in a whisper that barely broke through the silence.

The man let out a breath before looking back to Levi then to me. "I know you know that there is something different about Levi and I. I know you do. I can see your mind churning behind your eyes."

I looked down at my hands. He was right. He had fangs. He had fangs and Levi growled.

Maybe it was just a costume? Maybe they were into some weird kind of roleplay crap? I mean people are into that stuff, and if that's what they want to do then so be it.

But my gut told me otherwise.

"Levi and I are not human. Not human at all."

I snapped my eyes up to his. Curiosity and fear were eating away at me, toying With my thoughts. "What are you then? I mean, what else could you be?"

The man cocked me almost a smirk. "Some call me a nightwalker, but vampire is what the most common name is."

I laughed. I laughed nervously as Levi ran his hands over his face and chuckled too. "Keep going Derek, you're doing a hell of a job."

"Shut it!" Derek hissed out. He looked back at me and moved closer, too close for my comfort. "Do these look like a laughing matter?"

Fangs. Fangs that looked like they wanted to sink into my neck. Before I could open my mouth, a blur buzzed around the room and settled next to me. I Whipped my head around to find it and felt my mouth drop to see Derek smiling like a kid in a candy shop next to me.

"Still feel like laughing?" Derek said right next to me.

I looked forward and the space was empty where he once sat. He was just smiling gently. Not pushing but not going to easy on me either. "What. The. Hell?"

My heart was pounding and my hands started to tremble again. "So then what does that make you?"

Levi's silver eyes burned into mine. He looked over at Derek who was starting to walk his way around the bed to his original spot. "What you'll be if you survive. Which you won't. Humans rarely do, especially women."

"Humans? Survive what?" "The change, the first shift."

"Wha-what?" My breath was heavier now, labored. Derek quickly settled in front of me, closer than before and took my hand again.

"Little one, listen to me," he said firmly.

I snapped my gaze directly to his. My heart still racing wildly in my chest. It was beating so hard that I thought that everyone in the room could practically hear it.

Derek sighed. This couldn't be real.

This was all just a bunch of fairy tales, stories! "Levi is what you would call a Werewolf. Bound to the moon and beast that lives within him."

"I don't..." My voice trailed off as the weight of the situation settled in.

This was crazy. Completely crazy. It's a good thing these two lunatics lived so far off the beaten path, they'd probably be locked up if people heard them rambling about with this nonsense.

I had to leave. I had to get out and get out of this crazy place.

I started to lift myself up. My leg was throbbing in pain, but I didn't care. I couldn't stay here.

"You can't go," Derek said.

"I can't... Listen, thank you for helping me, but I don't think that your help will be necessary anymore."

Derek ran his hands through his hair while I flopped around like a seal as I tried to get out of the bed. I twisted the wrong way on my leg and a sharp pain sliced right through me. I hissed before my voice turned into a whimper.

"Shit, don't do that. You‘ll open the wound back up," Derek groaned. Before I could blink, he was situating me back in bed and adjusting my pillow so I could sit upright. "You can‘t go anywhere like that. Especially now. You‘re going to need our help."

"Your help, she's your responsibility," Levi barked out.

Derek hissed at him again. "And she will need you too. Do not forget that you owe me."

Levi rolled his eyes and muttered a curse under his breath. Apparently, whatever was going to happen to me was going to be some sort of a high maintenance project.

"Are you saying that I am turning into some sort of dog?"

"A wolf, we're not dogs," Levi growled.

I jumped back into my pillow a little more and pulled the covers closer to me. He growled. Like really growled. Like the beasts that had attacked me last night.

"Levi, why don't you show her? She won't believe us otherwise."

"Show me what?" I breathed out.

Levi muttered more curses as he stood and started taking his clothes off. I felt panic surge within me as images of my attempted rape came to mind; golden eyes with a sickening smile staring down at me like I was a large piece

of chocolate cake. I whimpered a bit and tried to scoot back more into the pillows, away from these two men.

"Shit, I didn't realize, I'm sorry Charlotte, but he has to," Derek said while moving in front of me, blocking mv view from Levi who standing half nude in the center of the room.

"Why? What the hell do you two want?!"

"I don't what to shred my clothes. I really like those jeans," Levi mused while looking back at the pile bunched together near the chair he previously sat in.

"Wha-What?" Cracking.

There was cracking and breaking as his body began to quickly contort into sickening directions. I felt bile rise in my throat at the sight. At the sight of hair that sprouted through skin, at the sight of sharp teeth that were peaking out from his lips, and at the sight of his head that was starting to contort into a muzzle.

Before I could blink again, he had changed. He changed into a large black wolf; black with bits of gray peeking through.

he was huge, larger than your normal wolf, almost the size of a damn horse it seemed like. He looked back between Derek and I, almost with an expression that seemed annoyed. He was clearly cramped in the room that did not give him enough space to really move around.

He took a step towards us, his muscles rippling beneath the fur. He was older, but he was in incredible shape.

What the hell has he been eating?!

He came closer to us. Calculating eyes assessing my small form that was sunk as deep as it was allowed into the bed. A rumble came from his chest and a whimper escaped from my mouth. I would not stand a chance against a predator like him.

"Levi," Derek warned.

The wolf turned to the vampire, whose fangs had started to peak out of his lips defensively, and snorted. Apparently, the threat meant nothing to a beast such as he.

He was within distance to touch. His breath combed over my face and his eyes seemed liked they were trying to make a decision. He didn't look aggressive, but he didn't look too friendly either.

I reached my hand out slowly. A low growl came out from his lips, a warning. I quickly retreated my hand and looked back at Derek who was staring furiously at his friend.

I reached my hand out again. IfI was going to live here, I at least wanted to make sure this thing wouldn't eat me.

"Please, I don't mean any harm," I whispered.

He cocked his head and allowed my hand to move a few inches closer, shaking with fear and anticipation. I got almost close enough to touch his nose, and he snapped. Lucky for me, I had retreated my hand back to my chest. I didn't want any more mangled limbs.

Derek growled louder which only resulted in another low growl from Levi. I felt anger swirl in me. I wasn't going to let him bully me around. I wasn't going to be scared into submission anymore.

I tore back the covers and stepped onto the cool wooden floor with my good leg. Derek grabbed my arm and gave me a warning look, but I yanked it away before he could pull me back into the bed.

I let out a shaky breath and pulled my other leg out carefully so I didn't put any weight on it. I hissed and groaned from the pain but I wasn't going to be stopped. Using the bed as support, I took a step-like-hop towards the wolf.

He cocked his head at me again but did not move. I took another step, feeling holder with each move. My leg was throbbing and sweat was starting to pool around my brow from the pain. I kept my mouth shut though, for now, to keep from screaming.

I lifted my hand again to touch him and he gave me another low growl to which I clenched my jaw and narrowed my eyes.

Before he could snap at me again, I touched his head. Right between his eyes. He closed them, as if he were sighing, then opened them back. He looked less annoyed but he didn't look too happy either.

I moved my hand over his soft fur to his neck. It was so much softer than it looked; It looked coarse, but it felt nothing like that.

He didn't growl or move, he just let me explore without fear. Without fear. I almost had forgotten that I was afraid.

I took another step to get closer but stumbled, almost falling, but was saved by his head; his head that had landed under my torso to keep me from hurting myself further. I wrapped my arms around his neck and allowed him to pull me upright, steadying myself so I could stand on my own again.

"Thank you."

He let out a breath and started backing up, back to the place where he first shifted.

2 Likes

Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nightcrawler123: 9:20pm On Sep 17, 2019
Sorry for the delay guys
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nkemdave(m): 7:52am On Sep 19, 2019
nightcrawler123:

#preciousbouy

Make I answer my roll call before my oga on top go vex for me grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by Ann2012(f): 8:30am On Sep 19, 2019
nightcrawler123:
Sorry for the delay guys

Thanks for the update
I can't wait for Charlotte's change
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nightcrawler123: 8:43am On Sep 19, 2019

Derek had jumped up and was now helping me hobble back into bed while the sounds of bones cracking filled the room again. I settled back in bed and looked up at Levi, who was giving me the most perplexing expression. He walked back to his clothes and started to quickly dress while Derek took a look at my bandage that was now sporting spots of red where blood was trying to leak through.

"We're going to have to change that soon," he sighed out. He looked at me with a small smile and sparkling eyes. He was entrancing. Almost too entrancing. Was this how he lured his prey? "You're brave little one."

I almost scoffed and shook my head. I don't know if that is what you would call bravery but I took the compliment anyway.

Levi cleared his throat, he was dressed again in his worn jeans and faded forest green sweatshirt. "Derek why don't you go get some bandages and let me talk to the girl."

Derek nodded obediently and quickly padded out of the room. Leaving me alone with the wolf. He walked over to his chair then drug it across the room so he could sit across from me.

He looked tired. The lines on his face showed his years, but his eyes, his eyes were still young. They looked so full of life. His hands were wrinkled, worn, he was a man that gotten his hands dirty instead of being pampered his whole life.

He rubbed his face again then looked back at me as he leaned back in his chair. "So now you know."

I nodded. "What's going to happen to me?"

"Well," his gruff voice started while he scratched his head, "you've been bitten by a werewolf girl. The next full moon, your body will try to shift. The beast will emerge, and you will become what I am, if you live."

"If I live?"

"Did you not hear my bones cracking earlier? Do you think that looks easy?" His voice was a challenge, one that I was sure I would lose.

"No, no it looked horrible."

He nodded and leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "The first time is the most painful, the worst, even for wolves that are born into this life. You can only be born or bitten, but usually, the bitten don't survive their first change."

"Why?" I sighed and tried to not let my impending doom consume my thoughts.

"When you're born into this life, you're born with your beast, stronger than humans. The change is painful, but eventually we shift. Humans are not born as strong as us, nor are they born with a beast. The human body was not created to shift in that way, to be pushed to that level." He sighed and rubbed at his scruff that needed trimming, thinking to himself in what looked like a world away from here.

"I don't understand. Has anyone survived? What's the difference?"

His silver eyes flickered to mine almost apologetically. "Well, the difference besides what I just said, really just comes down to good old biology. The first shift for normal wolves can take a few hours, it took me about three hours in excruciating pain to finally shift, and believe me there was a moment that even I wanted my father to put a bullet in my head."

I shuddered, the thought of more pain almost made me sick. "For humans?"

"Much worse. Like I said before, the human body isn't made to handle such things. I've only seen barely a handful of people survive, all male. The shift took almost all night. They had to be given doses of adrenaline and revived over and over to make it. The ones that did were born as weak wolves, omegas."

"So that's why you wanted to kill me?"

He nodded. "I would be doing you a favor, believe me."

I shook my head in frustration. "Then why the hell save me from those other beasts? Why not just let them finish me off if I was going to die anyways?!"

"Because" he groaned, "he wouldn't let me."

"He? You mean Derek?"

"No, I mean my beast. Pain in the ass right now is what he is."

I stared at him for a minute while I tried to comprehend what he just said. "You're beast? What the hell does your beast want with me? A snack perhaps?"

He chuckled lowly and gave me a coy smile. "Little girls are not as tasty as you would think."

I blinked as a bolt of fear shot through me while he began to laugh harder. I blinked again while his laughter picked up and realized the joke.

"Sorry Charlie, I just had to," he shrugged. "But to answer your question, no, he doesn't want to eat you. I don't know why he is even drawn to you, he has this incessant need to protect you."

Charlie. Charlie is what my dad used to call me. He loved Top Gun, too much in my opinion. My heart twisted at the name, twisted at the thought of my parents.

"Protect me?"

He clenched his jaw again as his eyes turned dark.

"Don't read into it too much."

Right on cue Derek waltzed in with a box of things in hand. Levi stood and quietly left, leaving me with Derek and my curious thoughts to brew in my brain.

Derek looked at the door as Levi closed it and sighed as he put the box gently on the bed. He pulled back the covers and started to carefully unwrap my leg, but even With his careful touch, it was still painful.

I winced as the bandage finally came off my skin, leaving my mangled flesh exposed in the air.

"Sorry," Derek whispered while he pulled out some ointment. He squeezed a big glob of it on his finger then moved towards my leg, towards the flesh that looked hardly like flesh anymore. "This is going to sting a little."

I nodded, giving him permission to continue.

I didn't just sting, it stung like a thousand bees. I bit down on my lip until I could taste blood and tried to put it out of my mind, tried to ignore the fire that seemed to be consuming my flesh.

"Sorry, sorry," Derek muttered as he wiped the remainder of the goop on his jeans. He fumbled with some other items in the box; a fresh bandage and gauze to keep the wound from getting infected.
He said while carefully placing gauze on my wound, "how are you feeling about all this?"

"How am I supposed to feel?" I hissed out as a spike of pain shot originated from where the gauze touched my flesh.

He shrugged and continued his task. "Most humans would be a bit more hysterical I would think."

I answered his shrug with a shrug. How was I supposed to feel? Scared? I was so tired of feeling scared. Angry? I was damn sure angry. I couldn't help but feel like reality had been suspended, like I was living in a dream, but the pain from my leg told me otherwise.

"I'd take this beast over another," I answered. It was true. I would take this over and over rather than go back to Marcus.

"So how did you come to this part of the woods, sleeping in your truck all on your own?" he prodded gently.

I let out a shaky breath. "I guess you could say another beast was chasing me."

He nodded and didn't try to pry anymore, and I was grateful. I wasn't too ready to tell these two men about my life, not yet anyways.

"Levi isn't all that bad, a little rough around the edges," he said while carefully placing the bandage over my freshly cleaned wound.

"He said his beast wanted to protect me? What does that even mean?"

I had to know. I had to know why this bipolar grump felt any inclination to help me.

Derek gathered the trash and tossed it in the box before turning to face me. "That was a brave thing you did there earlier. You're much braver than you look little one."

"Is that why you told him not to kill me? Earlier?" My voice was small but my heart was a bit frantic. If all he was doing was saving me for a snack, then I would be out of here come hell or highwater.

"No, I told him not to because first, I knew he would regret it. His beast is pulled to you, even though he won't admit it. That's why he let you touch him earlier, he has no desire to really hurt you."

"But he snapped at me, and growled..." my voice laced with disbelief trailed off.

He chuckled and nodded in agreement. "Yes, well, even in that form he is one cranky asshole."

I smiled and hit back a small laugh. I didn't understand it, I didn't really understand any of it. I didn't understand how my life could have changed so much in such a short span of time.

"So you don't want to eat me?" I prodded playfully; a playful front to hide my fear.

"No, sorry but you're not my type," he winked then set the box on the floor.

I almost felt offended. I mean, I was a human; well, humanish. Weren't all humans his type?

He seemed to sense my train of thought and chuckled again. "You already are starting to smell like your beast, and for me, that smell is not appealing."

"I smell like a dog?"

He laughed again and nodded. "Don't keep referring to them as dogs, they hate that. But yes, you're starting to change already."

I smelled my hair quickly and noted that while it did smell grungy, it certainly did not smell like a dog.

I sighed, I still didn't understand everything. All of it. I was becoming something that wasn't even supposed to exist! I mean, this was supposed to be a load of sparkly Fairytaled crap!

"I don't think you'll die. That's the other reason I prevented him from killing you."

I looked back him. His face was serious, almost statuesque. "You think I'll make it?"

He cocked his head and pushed a wild dark strand behind my ear. "You have much more fight than the others. I've seen quite a bit in my time, but you, I think you can do it."

"Thank you."

"Well," he smiled, "don't thank me yet, we can't put the cart before the horse, can we?"

I shook my head in agreement. "No, I guess not."

"You'll need our help, well, Levi's help mostly. He can train you, teach you, help you to get stronger. I can help you too, but not like him. I will help you, though, as much as I can."

"Why are you doing this? You don't even know me, I could be a terrible person for all you know."

He mused a bit before rising. "Like I said little one, I think you'll live, and that's a sight I would much like to see."

He picked up the box and started to walk out of my room, leaving me to my thoughts and emotions that refused to settle down.

"I'll bring you something to eat, ya?"

I nodded again as he gave me a small smile before slipping out of the room.

A vampire. A werewolf. What the hell had I gotten myself into?

And now it seemed like my clock was ticking. Like an hourglass flipped over; sand pouring out without relent.

I couldn't die. I wouldn't die. I hadn't survived Marcus and made it this far to be killed because I apparently am going to turn into some stupid fluffy dog.

No.

If they were right, which I feared they were, I would fight. I would convince Levi to help me and survive. I would survive so I could then live my life as I pleased, freely, without fear of ever being caged.

Freedom.

I was one step closer, all I had to do was live.

Good morning!!!!!
Have a wonderful day ahead and please don't forget to comment..

1 Like

Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by Nobody: 8:00pm On Sep 19, 2019
#following
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by Botaflica(m): 1:50am On Sep 20, 2019
Oh this is really good. I can’t wait to read the next update.
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nightcrawler123: 10:34pm On Sep 21, 2019
CHAPTER THREE
A LITTLE HELP?

After a few days, my body seemed to heal up to where the wounds were almost like scabs. Derek told it was from my beast, my wolf. Apparently, they heal pretty fast, and since my blood was turning into that of the beast's, I would heal up quickly too. The bruises on my face and body even faded, you would hardly even know that Marcus ever laid a hand on me.

I looked in the mirror of the small bathroom next to my room. I was starting to look like myself again. I was starting to fill out, mostly because Derek looked after me like a mother hen and ensured that I had three large square meals a day. It was a good thing, my appetite was growing.

I hadn't really been out of my room, my legs were not quite there yet, but today I was stronger. It barely hurt to walk on, only ghosts of pain reminding me of what happened.

I walked out of the bathroom and followed the smell of bacon and coffee. My stomach rumbled almost as loud as one of Levi's growls.

Levi.

I hadn't seen him since that first night. He seemed to be evading me, which was increasingly annoying. I needed his help, and I would have it.

I almost didn't believe them, didn't want to believe them, until one morning I looked into the mirror to see my eyes glowing. I had awoken from a nightmare and was scared, so I went to the bathroom for a glass of water. Upon looking in the mirror I screamed. Gray eyes shining like the damn neon sign from Shirley's diner.

Derek was immediately at my side comforting me. After I calmed down a bit, he explained that it was natural, a defense mechanism. My beast wanted to protect me and was starting to push forward. That scared me more, I wasn't ready to meet her. If she decided we needed to shift now, I knew I would surely die.
The kitchen was small but cozy. Green cabinets and cedar countertops were bare with a few appliances. An old Mr. Coffee that looked like it had seen better days, a toaster that looked like it burned toast more than anything as smoke started to come out of it, and a small blender with a shiny new canister next to it that said 'Raw protein.‘

"Ugh, he's one of those..".

Derek quickly popped the burning toast out of the toaster and tossed them onto a plate before his kind eyes met mine. "Morning little one, care for some coffee?"

"Please," I replied politely.

He reached into one of the cabinets and pulled out a cup for me; plain white that now held a brown steaming liquid. "Cream or sugar?"

"Both," I answered firmly. My heart warmed at my answer; my answer. I thought of Shirley and her kindness, I would have to figure out a way to thank her later for what she did.

Derek stirred my cup then pushed it to me. I took a sip and let the hot liquid awaken my body.

Someone coughed and I quickly whipped around. Levi was reading a paper and drinking a cup of black coffee himself. His gray hair was pulled back and his eyes were trying to display a facade of being disinterested, but I could see a hint of curiosity behind them. He did say his beast wanted to protect me after all.

"Morning." I walked slowly over to the table and cautiously took a seat.

He watched me some more before looking back to his paper. "Nice to see you're not dead, yet."

I sighed and looked over at Derek, he did say that Levi could be a stubborn ass when he wanted to be. "No, clearly I am still here."

"How do you like your eggs, Char?" Derek called from the kitchen.

"Um, scrambled please," I answered quickly. I did know that much. I loved eggs, but only scrambled. Over easy was just gross to me, I hated how runny the eggs were.

"I never thanked you," I said while looking over at Levi. He was wearing a forest green flannel shirt today, worn looking, like it had seen the elements one too many times.

He was staring intently at his newspaper, not even flickering his eyes to me. "What for?"

"For um..." I stumbled on my words, "for saving my life that night. Thank you."

He looked back at me and studied me a bit. I felt like his expression was softening, but his gaze just turned back to his paper. He took a sip of his coffee, black as night, then turned to page to the sports section. "You're welcome Charlie."

I smiled a bit to myself. "My dad used to call me Charlie."

He looked over at me with a cocked brow. "Interesting name."

"He liked Top Gun. Ex-military, it was his favorite movies." I smiled again and took a drink from my own cup.

He breathed out a laugh, looking back at his paper. "Sounds like a good man."

"He was," I answered automatically before realizing what I just said.
Levi looked back to me, a hint of sadness softening the lines around his lips that were usually formed into a tight line. "Sorry."

I shrugged. "It's alright, it was a long time ago."

Silence seemed to take up the space between us, thickening the air. I started to squirm a bit in my seat then resorted to drinking more coffee. Thankfully
a plate of bacon, eggs, toast, and hash browns appeared in front of me from a cheerful Derek before the silence could get heavier. He handed Levi a plate then sat down with a cup of coffee. I looked curiously at him. "Not hungry?"

"Not for that," he chuckled darkly.

I felt a shiver go down my spine and my cheeks flush with warmth. I had totally forgotten that he was a vampire, he didn't need to eat unless he wanted to I guess; he just needed blood. It was weird, though, for someone that was supposed to be undead, he seemed more alive to me than most humans I knew.

I took a few bites of my eggs and bacon. They were creamy and salty, deliciously filling my belly up. I took a bite of my toast and a sip of my coffee as my stomach growled some more. I didn't realize how hungry I actually was until I started eating.

"Thank you," I said after swallowing down a large bite.

Derek just chuckled and sipped his coffee; his eyes watching me with amusement. "Not a problem little one, I see your appetite is starting to grow."

I nodded. Derek said this would happen as my body started to change. I had to feed the beast, literally.

I continued eating with the men in a semi comfortable silence. I couldn't help but steal glances at Levi who was soaking up the egg yolk from his sunny side up eggs with a piece of toast.

Gross...

I scrunched my nose and took a sip of my coffee.

He would eat his eggs that way...

I didn't know how to ask him, but I needed him. He wasn't going to be easy to work with, but right now he was my biggest bet on surviving.

"Levi?"

"Hm?" he grunted while taking another bite. His eyes were glued to the paper in front of him, not bothering to look up at Derek or me.

"Will you help me? Please? I don't want to die and it seems like you're my best bet." I sucked in a nervous breath as his eyes snapped to me.

He just rolled his eyes, then looked back at the paper. "No."

I squeezed my eyes shut then opened them and tried to muster more strength. "So that's it. You'll just let me die then?"

"Girl, you're going to die whether or not I do help you. It won't make a difference."

I felt something rumble in my chest. I looked over at Derek who was staring directly at his friend. "You don't know that. I am not a weak little girl, I won't die, I won't allow myself to."
He sighed and leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms and looking at Derek and I with disapproval. "You will be begging me to kill you that night, believe me, it's not worth it."

"Yes, it is," I hissed, "I'm worth it. I'm not going to sit here and let some beast kill me. One almost did, I won't let another take my life from me."

Levi's eyes seemed to brew. He was not pleased with my answer or the conversation. He held my gaze, both of us stiff as boards, for what felt like an eternity.

"Levi," Derek interjected. "You don't know if she will. It's up to fate. Besides, your beast won't forgive you if you do."

"He'll get over it," Levi bit out.

Derek sat back in his chair and studied his friend. "So What would it hurt? I mean, if she's going to die, then she dies. It's one month. It's minimal compared to the span of our lives."

"And if she lives?" Levis asked, almost taunting his friend.

Derek looked back at me then to his brooding friend. "Well, that would be something wouldn't it?"

"Has a woman ever survived before?"

"Yes, two that I know of, but their wolves were weak. One was killed by rouges and the other was killed birthing her mate's pups."

"Pups? Mates?" I looked back at Levi who took another bite of his breakfast and washed it down with some coffee.
"Information that won't matter to you because you won't live through your first shift."

A growl erupted from my chest as I abruptly stood and slammed my fists on the table.

I was fuming. I had never felt such powerful anger before. It was like something was clawing at the back of my mind, prodding me on to tear into this stubborn man.

I wouldn't be called weak. Not again.

He used to always tell me I was weak, alway after he beat me. It became a word that eventually ingrained itself into my mind, that is until now. No more. Not again.

"How dare you? Who do you think you are! You don't get to sentence me to death you stubborn asshole! I may be a lot of things, but I am not a quitter, and I am not weak, and I will not die. Now you can either help me, or sit idly by, but believe me when I say that after I turn, you will be the list person that I tear into."

I was huffing out angry breaths. A cold hand was on my shoulder, Derek. I snapped my head back at him, daring him to stop me from having my way.

"Little one, easy, you have to control it."

I let out a hot breath while my heart was beating like a war drum in my chest. I have never been a violent person, nor have I ever condoned such behavior. However in this moment, in this moment my fury wanted to lash out at the man who was trying to take my life from me.

"Look at me," Levi's voice was firm and full of authority as he called to me from my side.

I snapped my head to look at his. He cocked his head and eyed me curiously before looking back at Derek. "You really don't think she'll die?"
"No, I don't," he answered simply before settling back down in his seat.

He gnawed at his cheek a bit before letting out a long sigh. "It won't be easy you know."

"I know," I replied quietly. I had no doubt this would probably be the hardest thing I had ever done.

He looked at his shoes then back at me. "Fine, but you will do exactly as you are told, do you understand?"

I blinked back tears and nodded my head. I had a chance. A chance at a new life, at hope. All I had to do was fight, live, and survive the full moon.

Levi sat down and took a long sip of his coffee before picking his paper back up. "Now sit down girl and finish your breakfast, your going to need it."

I smiled as I settled back in my chair. Derek winked playfully at me before picking up a section of the paper and reading it himself. I picked up a chunk of bacon and bit off half of it. God, I forgot how much I loved this. In that moment I made a vow to always have bacon with my breakfast.

Levi seemed to still be brooding and I was kind of worried about what he had in store, but I didn't care. I had his help, his word, and for now, that would be good enough.

After breakfast we walked around to the side of the house where there was a large pile of logs. Levi said he was going to go easy on me today since my leg was still healing. Although I don't think his definition and my definition of easy were anywhere near the same.

Derek had lent me some clothes, jogging pants and an oversized long sleeve blue T-shirt. He promised he would run to the store today and pick up some things for me as well as look through my wrecked truck, Ted, for any of my belongings.
There was a stump of wood in the ground and an ax dug shallowly into it. The warm sun was casting rays over the area. It wasn't hot, it probably would never get hot out here, but in direct sunlight, it would probably be comfortably toasty.

Levi picked up a plastic chair and moved it around so it was facing the stump before sitting in it. I looked curiously at him then back at the pile of wood. "What is this?"

"This," Levi started while pulling out

a can of coke and popping it open, "is what you'll be doing since we can't have you running around on that leg right now."

"Which is?"

Sorry for the delay guys...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by Ann2012(f): 6:06pm On Sep 22, 2019
Waiting patiently for the full moon
Thanks for the update
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nkemdave(m): 11:14am On Sep 23, 2019
Splendid Update bro.

Ride on
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by phoenixchap: 4:44pm On Sep 25, 2019
Still won't believe this is work from your imagination nightcrawler. Everything is abit too perfect, I'll be watching this space. Nice one till proving otherwise
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nightcrawler123: 1:48am On Sep 29, 2019
Continuation

Chopping wood, what does it look like girly?"

I sighed and looked over at the pile then back at Levi who was watching me with an amused smirk. "I've never done this before. I don't even know how."

"Fair enough," he answered calmly. Almost too calm for comfort.

He stood up casually and strode over to the pile. Picking up a round log, he walked back to the stump and placed the log on it facing upwards. "You set it like this on the stump. You want a piece that's about this size. Anything smaller you toss, anything bigger you double cut, got it?"

I nodded again. I didn't see how the hell this was supposed to help me, but I didn't want to fall out of his good graces so I kept my mouth shut.

He looked back at the stump and pulled the ax easily out of it. With ease, he swung it around, like he had done it a hundred times probably because he had, and sliced the log like it was butter. It didn't look too bad...

"Aim for the middle and it will split for ya." He laid the ax against the stump then settled back into his chair and took a long sip of his coke.

"So that's it? I am splitting logs all day?"

"Yup," he replied while popping the 'P.‘

I sighed and nodded again. I guess I didn't have much choice. I didn't really see how this would help, but I needed his help in any way I could take it; so I hit my tongue and I strode over to the big pile and looked around a bit until I found a log that looked around the size of the one Levi had chopped. It was heavier than I expected, but not hard to carry over to the stump.

Like he instructed, I placed it upright before I reached for the ax. The ax. That sucker was much heavier than it looked. I gripped it between my hands, trying to model what he did and looked for a good point to strike.

I didn't even dent the log, well, I knocked it over; and Levi almost fell over out of his chair from laughing so much.

I let out a frustrated breath and put the log back upright. I swung again, this time, a little harder, and landed the head of my ax only about two inches deep into the wood.

"You keep at that, I'll be right back," Levi called to me while he walked back around the cabin.

I closed my eyes and let the sun coat my skin.

You're not with Marcus, anything beats that. This is one hundred times better than that...

I had to step on the log and use my weight to pull the axe out of it. I place it again, swung the axe, and again it didn't split. It looked like I barely made a dent.

Levi walked back with a red cooler in hand setting it next to his chair before settling back down. "I see you haven't made much progress."

I shot him a scowl before placing the log upright once again. I took a deep breath and squeezed the handle of the ax between my lingers that I knew would be raw before this was over. I swung again, and again all I got was an unspilt log and more laughing from Levi.

"You afraid of that log, girl?"

I bit back the anger that wanted to lash out at him. "No, it's just a log."

"You sure about that Charlie girl?"

I looked back at him. He was eyeing me with curious amusement. I sighed and looked back at my log, my penance.

I wasn't afraid of it, it was just a damn log. A silly, stupid, ridiculous log.

I picked it up and placed it upright.

I had more fuel to my swing, it was almost like there was fury coursing through my arms. My ax met the wood, yet it did not split.

"What the hell?" I hissed. "Just a log girl, ain't nothing to it."

I ignored him. It was probably best so

I didn't do anything stupid. I picked the log up and placed it on the stump. I looked at it for a hot moment, trying to visualize myself chopping it because, well, that's what Tiger Woods said he did, right? Visualized the shot? I mean, if that worked in golf, then the theory could be applied here?

I swung the ax around and met the wood, that once again did not split.

More laughter erupted from me. I felt something scratch at the back of my mind while anger started to slowly heat inside me.

"This is better than a damn movie," he said amongst his laughter.

Whatever it was at the back of my brain, well it was not happy about that comment. I felt the anger start to boil inside of me. It felt like fireworks, like electricity. like the new blazes of a fire that were excitedly starting to burn. White hot fire.

I set the log down again on the stump then picked up the ax. I looked over to Levi who has now scooted to the edge of the chair, watching me intently.

I swung again, harder, letting the anger power my swing, and let the ax meet the wood. It split the piece of wood only partially.

Dammit. "Go get another one, start again."

I set the ax down and marched over to the pile. Choosing a log should be easy, it's just a damn log. Yet I looked at the pile and found myself overwhelmed.

"It's just a log girl, not a shopping mall," Levi teased.

I groaned inwardly and grabbed a piece close to me. He was smiling, "like he knew something a secret of some sort", at me as I walked back. He took another long sip of his coke and wiped

the small brown drops left over on his lips off.

I set the log on top of the stump, then picked up the ax. Again.

"Alright little miss, let's see if you can make more than a dent. Although, I won't complain if you don't, this is by far the most entertaining thing I've seen in a while."

I felt a growl rumble in my chest, a low growl, shocking me at how natural it felt.

"What the hell is wrong with me?! Since when did I just start growling at people?!"

He leaned back in his chair again and looked at me with amusement like he was about to watch his favorite sitcom on TV.

I huffed and squeezed the ax between my palms, anger coursing down to my fingers.

Anger.

A feeling I had suppressed for too long.

Anger was running through me and I was in no mood to stop it. I wouldn't stop it. It was so enticing, like a drug. I felt like I was humming with it. Like it was the only thing that could sate my body

I pulled the ax back and swung. I swung hard and fast and with the fury that I had pent up for so long.

The log split.

That damn thing split.

I stood there shocked for a second. Staring at the two pieces that had previously been one.

"You feel that girl?" I looked back at Levi who eyes were holding my own in their own firm gaze. "You feel that, coursing through your veins? Clawing at the back of your mind?"

I sighed and closed my eyes. I did feel it.

It was almost like a drug, the feeling of this anger that I had let run free. I didn't feel anything clawing at my mind, more like it was licking its lips as it fed off the emotion that seemed to please it.

I opened my eyes and looked back at him. He narrowed his eyes and cocked his head again, letting the silence settle between us.

"Don't be afraid of it, it's a part of you now. You have to learn to embrace and control it , use it when you need it but don't let it have the upper hand on you. Understand?"

I nodded at him. This thing was too intoxicating to be safe.

"Good, now, do it again."
I almost laughed at the order but knew that he was serious. We were going to be out here all day chopping these damn logs.

The day waned on and I had split was seemed like hundreds of logs. At first, I set into a rhythm, my muscles seemed to remember the motions and my arms moved on autopilots as time went on.

It was like a twisted therapy. I chopped out of anger, out of frustration, out of my pissed of emotions aimed towards my own life.

For a few logs I pretended that it was Marcus' head, and that gave me more pleasure than a gift on Christmas morning.

But as the day waned on, my body started to tire. I felt my arms start to burn, it had been a long time since my muscles had worked so hard in their life. The only reason I probably had lasted this long was this beast growing inside me. Derek said I would naturally start to grow stronger, a perk of turning into a large dog.

I continued chopping over and over and over again until I felt like my arms would break. The next time I swung, I failed. I hit the wood but the log did not split it.

I sucked in a breath and stared down at it. perplexed.‘

"Funny isn't it," Levi started while popping open yet another can of coke, "doesn't matter how hard you swing, it doesn't help you endure."

"What?" I asked through a strained breath. I was dripping with sweat and already regretted agreeing to wear this outfit that consisted of long sleeves.

"If you hit that log harder girl, it won't split. It won't ever split. You're getting stronger, but you can't always rely on your strength to carry you."
I let out another breath and looked over at Levi who was resting his head against his palm. "So what the hell do I do then?"

He smirked and took a long sip of his coke. "You rely on what you know and on that beast inside of you."

I almost wanted to laugh, the thought was still crazy to me. A beast. I was becoming a beast. Just the thought reminded me of watching 'Beauty and The Beast,‘ when I was a child.

"Again then?" I asked with a voice leaked With a challenge.

He raised his coke can to me and nodded. "Again Charlie."

So I unleashed it. I let the thing licking its lips in anticipation drive my movements, and somehow I found my hidden strength.

Chopping and chopping and chopping. Letting my mind wander away. Away from here.

My arms burned, but I began to like the burn. My legs ached, especially my bad leg, but something in me told me to ignore it. To keep going.

So I did.

"Charlie," Levi called to me, startling me from my deep thoughts.

I wiped the sweat off my brow and turned to him. Derek was standing next to him smiling at me, almost like a proud parent. "Ya?"

he stood and picked up the small red cooler. "Time to eat girl, you're done for the day."

I dropped the ax next to the stump and followed. I had done. Overcome myself.

If I could do this, then maybe I could live, survive, and endure my first shift.

Derek had been able to retrieve most of my things from the truck, but the truck-Ted, was done. Poor Ted. Derek also took the liberties on stocking up on things for me; everything from socks to tampons, this man missed nothing.

I showered quickly after Levi lectured me about using ‘all of his damn hot water,‘ and washed away the sweat from the day, evidence of my hard labor.

The kitchen was swirling with smells of garlic and tomatoes while an old record player was playing Meryl Haggard. I smiled inwardly. This was the closest thing I had to actual friends in a long time.

1 Like

Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nightcrawler123: 1:51am On Sep 29, 2019

It wasn't my home, but it was starting to feel like it.

"Ah, here, for you little one," Derek handed me a fat glass of red wine. Clinking his cup With mine, we both took sips of the red liquid.

"And what are we making?" I asked while standing on my toes to look over the counter and peer at what Derek was brewing.

He smiled at me and opened the lid of hot steaming spaghetti sauce. My stomach rumbled on cue and Derek chuckled at me.

"How did you learn to cook like this, since you know?"
"Since I feast on the delicious veins of humans?" he answered while flashing me a wicked grin of fangs.

I felt some of the color drain from my face as I struggled with an answer. He just laughed then walked over to a small bread basket, covered with a red and white checkered cloth, and carried it over to me. "One thing you should know is that we vamps can eat. It doesn't do anything for us at all. It's like empty calories, but we can still eat and enjoy the taste. A reminder of our humanity that we once gave up."

He reached into the basket and handed me a slice of bread. It had what looked like butter and cheese melted on top, but after I bit into it I had to hold my hand over my mouth to keep a moan from spilling out. It was insanely delicious. Garlic, butter, basil, and sharp parmesan all swirling together.

I swallowed then helped myself to another. "Do you miss it?"

He pondered for a hit, his hand mindlessly stirring the sauce with a large wooden spoon. "Yes and no."

"Spaghetti night?" Levi's gruff voice broke up our conversation.

"Yup, I just let Charlotte try some of my garlic bread, which I think has officially convinced her that I am the best cook that she shall ever know."

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Obviously." It was true; one bite of this bread was enough to make me sign a testimony stating the fact in my own blood.

Levi just shook his head then pulled out a few plates from the cabinet and started to set them around the table. "Charlie, get that silverware and napkins and bring it over here."

I obeyed. If I was going to stay here, I wasn't just going to take advantage of their hospitality.
I started laying the silverware around the table and paper towels. Silently tending to my task while Levi fetched the salad and bread.

"Alright, it's ready. Little one, grab your plate and come here," Derek called from the kitchen.

He plated me up a very generous helping of spaghetti and my mind told me it was too much, but my stomach grumbled otherwise.

Derek carried the wine over and topped off all our glass before we dug into the meal. It was so damn good. Probably one of the best meals I had ever had. Better than sex good. "Holy shit Derek, this is amazing!"

He chuckled while swallowing down a bite of his own. "Thank you, my dear. Eat up, you need it."

"Damn right, we gotta get more meat on those scrawny bones of yours," Levi added.

I would of probably have been offended by his comment before. Marcus always like me super lean, dainty is what he would call me. But now it almost filled me with hope, it was a sign that he cared. Cared about my well-being, my future. Well, at least that's how it felt.

I continued to eat. Eating and eating as the hunger urged me on until my plate was clean. Then Derek plated me a second helping and I started again, practically shocking myself at my own appetite.

"So there's a lot you're going to have to learn about our world girl," Levi said gruffly while wiping his mouth.

I looked over at him and nodded. "I would assume so. It's not like I was raised to be an expert in 'mythical creatures that are not even supposed to exist

Derek chuckled while Levi just rolled his eyes.

Levi took a large bite out of his bread and chased it down with some wine. "So here's what we'll do. Every day we'll work on the physical things that you'll need to live and at meals we'll work on making sure you don't sound like a slowpoke when you're walking around our kind."

I rolled my eyes and nodded. "Sounds like a plan then."

"First things first then, you need to know about basic werewolf shit. Let's just call this segment 'werewolf one just call this segment 'werewolf one oh- one,'" Levi said with fake quotations before taking another large sip of his wine. He poured himself some more, almost to the brim.

"Careful with that," I teased.

He shook his head and took another sip. "Takes more than a bottle to get us drunk girl, best you remember that."

"So," I sighed while pushing my plate out of the way. I couldn't put any more food in my belly, even if I wanted to. I was so bloated already it was almost painful. "What's on the agenda for 'werewolf one -oh-one?'"

Levi sighed while Derek picked up our plates and took them to the sink. "Well, by now you know that you've got a beast inside you."

I nodded. "It feels like a scratching."

"It always starts like that," Levi mused. He toyed with his glass for a bit before flickering his eyes to me. "That beast is a part of you now, whether you want it to be or not. It's a part of you, yet it's own being, and you have to always have a good grip on it."

"What happens if I don't?" "You go rogue."  "What's a rogue?" 

Levi's jaw clenched. He let out a labored breath and took a long swig of wine. "It's a were that's more wolf than human, unable to control its primal urges. Usually, they are they ones kicked out of their packs for offenses or they run off on their on because they can't control themselves. It's like something breaks in them when they are cut off from their family, from their pack. Their wolf gets sick, almost rabid, and becomes a danger to itself and those around it."

I shuddered. "So how do I control it?"

"You'll learn. You got some of that today. But you shouldn't fear it. It's part of you now, so you have to trust it. Your instincts will be driven by it, and you should listen to them; nine times out of ten they're right."

I let out a breath as Derek came back and sat down with us, taking a drink of the wine he had neglected. "So you said that rogues were kicked out of packs? What's a pack?"

Levi's lips formed into a small smile. "A pack is like a community of Weres. It's like a city of its own. Governed by a hierarchy of wolves that ensure everyone's safety."

"A hierarchy?" I looked curiously at him and took another sip of the red liquid that was filling me with courage and washing away any anxiety lingering in my bones.

Levi sighed and scratched at his scruff. "In a pack, you have something similar to what you would see in a city. You have the Alpha and his female, they rule the pack and govern together much like a mayor would a city."

I nodded and soaked it in. Sounded simple enough. "So they are the boss and Boss Lady, got it."

Levi chuckled and pinched the space between his brows. "Yup, what they say goes." He took another drink of wine and sat back into his chair looking at me curiously while I drank in the information. "Next, is the beta and the beta female. They are the second in command, like a vice president. There are other betas, but they are lower betas and under the first beta's control. The next layer is the gammas. They are what would be like the upper middle class. Many of them make up the warriors or the 'military' portion of the pack. Below them are omegas, everyday wolves like everyday people. They serve most of the other jobs for the pack kind of like you would see in a town."

Derek had gotten up and fetched a plate of chocolates. He said that they were 'truffles' that he had made and wanted us to try them. My belly was full yet it still rumbled. I reached for one and happily bit into the chocolate, almost moaning at the taste. Both Derek and Levi chuckled, laughing at my reaction that almost mirrored theirs after they took a bite.

"So, how do you get to be those positions? Can you change?"

Levi licked his fingers then reached for another. "You are born into them. Runs in bloodlines. Alphas usually produce alphas and so on. Sometimes lesser wolves will produce greater wolves, gammas producing a beta and so on. But Alphas are really the only ones that are immune from that. If someone wanted to move up, it would depend on the rules of the pack they are in. Some can get stronger and move up, depends on the pack. Some packs require testing, like trials but more physical. If you mate with a wolf of a higher standing, you usually are able to move up as well, at least in most packs that's how it works. But, if you want to be the alpha of the pack, you have the challenge the current alpha and beat him."

"Sounds medieval," I muttered through bites of chocolate.

Levi scoffed. "More like animalistic, we are wolves after all."

I nodded and licked the remainder of the sweet brown substance off my fingers. "So, what kind of wolf are you?"

"What's that?" Levi looked over at me quickly.

"Are you a beta or gamma or alpha? I mean, you have to belong somewhere, you're not one of these crazed rogues that you've described."
Levi's eyes stormed with icy cold rage as a low growl rumbled in his chest. "I think this conversation is over."

"Wha-" Derek's hand stopped me from finishing my sentence as Levi stormed out of the room.

He sighed and took another long drink of wine. "Sorry little one."

"What's his deal? I don't understand?"

Derek sighed and gave me a small smile. "It's his story to tell. He'll come around eventually." He stood and reached his hand out for mine. "Come, let's do the dishes and get you to bed, you've got a long day tomorrow."

So sorry for the delay guys...

1 Like

Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by Tygold1(f): 1:08pm On Sep 29, 2019
I like this episode. It gives me a better understanding of the werewolf stuff. Kudos to you writer.
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by Ann2012(f): 3:07pm On Sep 30, 2019
Now I feel like changing

Thanks for the update
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nightcrawler123: 6:33pm On Oct 05, 2019
CHAPTER FOUR
RUNNING

Running. I was finally running again.

This morning Levi burst into my room and told me that we were going for a run. What I didn't know was if I was going to be running from him, or his giant ass wolf.

I couldn't help but love it. I hadn't felt this exhilarated in ages and the adrenaline that coursed through me, feeding the beast that licked its lips in anticipation of the feast, was so addictive.

My arms were pumping and my legs were carrying me a world away from here, through the trees. This morning when I woke up I still had a few scratches, but my leg felt more than fine. It felt great, as right as rain; only a fading pink scar was left as a reminder of that night.

The trees were almost alive today with electricity; wind with hints of winter blowing swiftly through them, rustling the branches that were starting to sprout new buds. They were tall, standing proudly amongst the forest floor that was still covered with their leaves; new grass was starting to grow in, peaking through the floor a sign of new life.

I kept going. Letting my instincts drive my direction. Levi said before that I wouldn't be able to make it off his land in one day, so I wasn't worried about getting too lost.

I slowed down a bit and let my body have a bit of a break. My breath was labored, but it was a labor that was welcome. It was a burn that something inside me was relishing; a feeling I had been denied for so long.

The forest was quiet this morning. I hadn't been really given time before, to explore. To admire the beauty around me. My lungs took a deep breath of the fresh crisp air, the air that was free of him; my husband, Marcus.

I was free of him and so many other chains that the potential of dying because of some awful bite seemed minimal in comparison.

I heard a crunch. It was far away yet my ears still picked it up.

How?

Didn't matter. My break was over and it was time to run again.

I chuckled to myself. This game of cat and mouse was one that I would happily play all day. Whatever this thing was, this beast, inside of me, well it liked this game. It urged me to continue on. To Zig-zag through the trees and leave false trails as I went.

I was almost giddy when I thought of Levi's confusion, and so was this beast.

I slowed down to a jog. I didn't hear anything that seemed threatening and there didn't seem to be any reason for me to be worried, so I started walking.

I picked up a leaf and toyed with the ends, letting the brown flakes crumble in my fingers.

Another crunch.

He was onto me. Teasing me. Whatever this thing was, this thing in my head, it wanted me to tease him as well.

I picked up a steady pace, weaving through trees and making my way around in a big circle a few times before heading back towards the house. My body surprised me. After all these years of abuse, of dwindling down to a shell of the person I used to be, my body seemed to bounce back quicker than I could have ever imagined. Maybe it was the beast. Maybe it was my resolve. Either way, it was fantastic to feel so strong again.

Crunching started to sound behind me, but I did not relent. I ran and ran with burning lungs until I made it to a clearing; small with a creek running through it.

I stopped and scooped up some water to drink. It probably wasn't safe, I had read that online somewhere, probably Wikipedia; but Derek said my immune system would be getting stronger, more resistant to diseases that plagued humans, so I took my chances.

I wiped my mouth and stood back up quickly, surveying the area for Levi. I couldn't see him, but I knew he would be close or watching me. Stalking me like the predator his wolf was.

It hit me like a freight train. The weight of him. I was thrown into the grass, skidding until my body collided with a tree. I groaned and pulled myself upright amongst the sound of low growling.

Levi.

He was stalking towards me on his four paws, fangs bared, and wild hungry eyes.

"Levi?" I asked cautiously.

He licked his lips then snapped at me warningly. His eyes were wild. Predatorial. More wolf than human.

"Levi?" I asked again only to be greeted with a louder growl.

My heart was beating frantically. Was this his plan the whole time? To toy me along so then he could just eat me?

He took another step, another step towards his shaking meal. I started to scoot backward and look around for an exit. I had to run. I had to go.

Levi snapped again and that was all the incentive that I needed to scramble to my feet and make a mad dash away. It was in my frantic running that I realized it. What he was doing.

I never had lost him. He always knew where I was, he just allowed me to think I had an inkling of freedom; enough so I would eventually let down my guard and make myself vulnerable to him.

Anger started to bubble in me and something else wanted me to turn around and face that creature. But I knew better. I was a fool to think I could overcome a wolf the size of Levi.

Another growl tore through the forest. I tried to not be afraid, but I couldn't help but to let fear start to course through my veins.

Fear.

It powered my steps, my strides, and my frantic breath that burned in back of my throat with each breath I took. The leaves were crunching under my feet, but not as loud as they were crunching under his paws.

Something told me to hang a sharp right, so I did. Lucky for me that instinct was right and Levi missed me by a few feet. I kept going. Running through trees and tearing through bushes; desperately trying to evade the sense of dread that was eating away at me.

Another growl vibrated through the forest. I pushed harder and tried to not let a whimper escape my lips.

He was toying with me, teasing me, wearing me out.

I couldn't die. Not now, not after everything. Falling.

I was falling down a small hill after Levi crashed into me. Tumbling hard and fast down the stiff ground; leaves caught in my pony tail as limbs and rocks scratched my skin while I continued to tumble down.

I finally stop and winced a bit. My bad leg ached and reminded me that it still isn't fully healed. I slowly pushed myself up and looked around.

Silence. He's here, though. I know he's here.

I feel like I used to feel whenever I would hide from Marcus. One night he came home drunk in the fall from eating wings with his friends and watching the Seahawks game. He always came home drunk. At first, when we were first married, it was only occasional. He would apologize and I would believe him. Then it would become more frequent, more often, and soon there were no apologies to be heard.

I heard him come into the house, loud footsteps stumbling through the darkness. He called to me but I was already running quietly up the stairs. I hid in the bathroom this time, locking the door and climbing into the tub, hoping to God that he would just pass out before he could fmd me.

But he did.

He tore open the bathroom door, mad as hell, and drug me out of there like I was a rag doll. I still have a scar on my ribcage from where he used a broken beer bottle to 'punish' me.

I let out a labored breath. Afraid to step because I knew that he would be waiting for me, licking his lips and anticipating my next move.
"Scared yet girly?"

His voice sent a cold chill down my spine. I tried to suppress a shudder.

I couldn't show fear. Animals fed off that right? Isn't that what the Discovery Channel is always going on about?

"You're quite the runner Charlie girl, bet you've been running away from all your pretty little problems your whole life."

That struck a chord. I wasn't a runner, or was I?

I ran so much in my life that I almost forgot what it was like to sit still.

I ran when my parents died to a college and a group of friends that did more harm than good. I ran into the arms of a man who beat me until I didn't know my own name. I even ran from him. I ran from him before he killed me and part of me hates myself for that. Part of me hates the cowardice that‘s laced in that notion. Running.

"Can't handle your own shit, so you run from it," Levi's voice was cold as it sliced through the morning air.

Low rumbled formed in my chest. "You don't know what the hell you're talking about!"

"Don't I? What the hell were you doing in your truck, alone, that night?"

I stiffened as my fist clenched so hard that I thought I was going to crush my own fingers. "That's none of your business."

"I pulled three rogue wolves off your tiny ass, I think I am pretty entitled to an answer," he barked back.

"Rogues?"

"They would have tore you to shreds in seconds if it weren't for Derek and I."

I let out a labored breath and walked towards a clearing only to be met by a warning growl. Something scratched at me, at the back of my mind, begging to be let loose from its prison.

"So, what were you running from girl?" His cool and calculating voice came from my far right. I snapped my head in that direction, eyes wild and on alert for him, but there was no trace of him.

I swallowed down my fear and took another step, meeting another warning growl. "Was it whoever did a number to your face? Haven't seen a woman beat up that much in a while."

I felt another rumble vibrate in my chest as little tears pooled in my eyes. Tears from reality starting to slowly crash into me like a slow moving hurricane. My life was really a pile of shit. A pile of shit that amounted pretty much nothing. I dug that hole. I made that bed. Now, I was probably going to die because of it.

"Must have been easy with you. Not like you put up much of a fight anyways."

A growl tore through my lips that surprised even me. The thing in the back of my brain did not like us spoken to that way. "You have no idea what you're talking about."

I walked forward, another growl came from my left, but I knew that he wouldn't be there when I looked. I tried to rely on this 'instincts' that apparently I was supposed to have, but they were not quick enough to spot Levi yet again.

Dogs are good at tracking things right?

"Don't I? Practically let a pile of wood beat ya to tears yesterday."

I turned to my right only to see leaves settle from where movement had been. He had been there, I was sure of it. "No you don't, you don't know a damn thing about me."

"Oh, I think I have a good handle on you girl. I know your type. Raised in a pretty home with pretty parents who don't pay enough 'attention‘ to you. So you find yourself a man that will. He probably made a lot of money, didn't he? Spoiled you rotten. Probably wasn't until he laid a hand on you that you realized how utterly stupid your tiny ass was."

I kept walking. Fingers of anger pushing me gently in the direction of him. I was shaking. Fear turning to anger, anger that begged to be let out. "And what about you? What's your story? Living with a vampire in the middle of nowhere, aren't you guys supposed to hate each other?"

Another growl, angry, loud, blood curdling seemed to slice through my core and awaken something in me. The thing in the back of my mind that scratched harder, and harder, and harder to be let free. I had to squeeze my eyes and push it back, push the power back that was intoxicatingly overwhelming.

"You're not a rogue, per your own definition, so what is a cranky old man like you doing out here?"

Wrong move. I was on my ass before I could take another step.

Levi had tackled me down, but something in me told me to fight while something else told me to run. A war. A war of instincts that left me temporarily frozen for a second too long.

He moved to pin me down but I kicked him hard in the gut, surprising him, so I could worm my way out of his grasp. He rolled over quickly while I scrambled to my feet then he looked over at me with blazing golden eyes and fangs dripping with the need for blood.

"So that's how you want to play Charlie girl?" His voice was a challenge, bait, that I easily bit into.

I didn't even know what compelled me to do it. I lunged. I lunged at him and barely knocked him backward. He easily caught my form and pinned me back down to the ground.

"Girl I could beat your tiny ass anyway all day. Know better than to pick a tight me with, you won't win," Levi's said with a wicked grin. "You better start running girl, your pretty good at that."

I lunged again, this time, I felt something within me power the jump.

I crashed into him like a linebacker, knocking both of us to the ground. He looked up at me in shock and before he could respond the back of my hand had slapped him hard across the face and left an expression of shock and lividity behind it.

I immediately knew I had made a mistake.

Standing he grabbed me throwing me into the nearest tree. I groaned as I hit the ground; the wind was knocked out of me and my mouth tasted of blood from where I hit my lip upon my fall.

I pushed myself up again. Groaning as my body ached from the collision. I couldn't stop. I couldn't give up. I had to prove that I wouldn't run, not only to Levi but to myself.

I stalked towards him again, letting the monster in my head lick its lips in anticipation. Levi snarled at me. Baring his fangs, showing me that this was not a cute game. His eyes were wild. Like a white fire burning with the fury of a summer storm.

"Do you see me running now old man?" I bit out.

This time, he lunged at me. He lunged and I felt my feet carry me towards the fight, towards the thing that could maul me to shreds. I didn't have time to allow shock from my own actions overcome me, I had to focus on ensuring that Levi didn't eat me as a snack.

He knocked me down, but my body was ready for the collision. I knee‘d him in the gut while my face met the back of his elbow.

I yelped as blood trickled out of my mouth, but I did not stop.

I felt like a demon unleashed.

Clawing, and kicking, and hitting. It was animalistic. Purely animalistic.

But Levi didn't falter. No. If anything he made it seem like I was but a little kitten fighting him, which only fueled my rage more.

I rolled off of him and scrambled back to my feet before marching back towards him. I swung and missed. I swung again and he easily leaned out of the way from my fist.

I growled and lunged again but was only thrown back to the ground by his large hands. "Christ girl, it's no wonder that man of yours had the upper hand."

It felt like a stab to my core. I hated that. I hated knowing that Marcus was stronger than me, that he was always stronger than me.

So sorry for the delay guys.. will make it up to you guys...

Don't forget to comment

1 Like

Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by iamgprince: 8:28am On Oct 06, 2019
thanks for the update
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by nightcrawler123: 9:29pm On Oct 07, 2019

Continuation

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about. You have no right!"

He chuckled lowly and shook his head at me.

"Whatever you say little runner girl."

I blinked back a tear. I couldn't show him my tears. I couldn't let him know how much I was breaking inside. How I hated myself. Hated myself for being a pathetic excuse of a woman these last years. For being practically as good as a doormat while I took his beatings then let him use my body as he pleased.

I don't know what came over me, but suddenly I found myself pulling my gray tank top, dripping in sweat, over my head. The scars were evident. Even with all this new healing power crap, you could still see them.

"You see this?" I pointed to a long scar that ran along the lower left end of my belly. "The one I ran from did that. He came home one night, pissed about nothing, he was always pissed about nothing. He pushed me into our glass coffee table then became furious that 'I broke it'. He used the glass to punish me. Remind me forever about how 'pathetically clumsy' I am."

I took another step towards Levi.

He was still brewing, but this time, curiosity was mixed in with his anger. "You see this?" I pointed to the space under my armpit, soft flesh with nasty circles, burns. "He pinned me down in our bathroom and put his cigarette out on me."

I took another step. This time, I slipped off the yoga pants I'd been wearing, leaving me in my plain black bikini panties. I didn't care that I was half naked. My anger provided a safe blanket for my embarrassment.

"You see this?" I turned and showed him little lines on the back of my legs. The were thin, only around an inch long if that. They ran from the crease between my buttocks and leg and down a few inches in perfect symmetrical rows. "This was his tally. He gave me a line each time I disobeyed His own way of keeping track of my 'insolence.

I sucked back more tears and stalked towards Levi who clenched his jaw and let out a long breath. "If you want me to feel sorry for ya girl, then believe me, I won't."

"I don't want your sympathy," I hissed out. "But next time you want to call me weak, remember that I too have had my fair share of beatings. I may run from them, but at least I don't deny them."

I turned on my heel, snatched my clothes, and stormed off. Levi was calling my name, but I ignored him. I needed to get away from that piece of shit for a while.

I don't know if he was really trying to help me, or if he was just trying to chase me away. Maybe it was the latter of those two. Maybe it was both.

Derek didn't say anything to me when I walked back in the house, and I was grateful. I didn't even go to my room, just straight to the bathroom.

I turned on the faucet, letting the bath fill with hot water. The sounds of the falling water echoing around the room, drowning out my tears as I slid down the wall and buried my face in my hands.

What the hell have I gotten myself into ?!

I felt myself breaking from the inside out. Whatever that was inside my brain, this beast, it had decided to be quiet. Retreat back and let me have my own space.

I needed my space.

I stripped my dirty clothing off and tried not to look into the mirror. I hated looking at myself; looking at what he had done to me. What I had let him do to me for so many years. The bruises may be gone, but I would wear these scars probably forever as a painful reminder, never being able to rid myself of him.

The water was warm and stung a bit when it met the cuts along my body.

I hissed in a sharp breath then tried to settle. I thought that I could soak it away. Forget. But it seemed like the tears only came with each moment that passed.

I hated the tears. I was so tired of them. So tired of letting these feelings, of him, still having the power to do this to me.

There was a soft knock on the door but I ignored it. Another soft knock came but I ignore that too. Then the door handle twisted a bit, jiggled and turned.

I stood quickly and pulled the curtain back, I wasn't ready to leave the tub, but I wasn't ready to talk about what happened either.

Voices were arguing outside the door. I could make out Derek. He was scolding Levi for being 'an utter asshole.’ Levi just growled and hit back, but soon his words softened as their conversation turned into bare whispers.

The door opened and footsteps slowly made their way to the tub. I heard someone settle next to the tub; not trying to pull back the curtain, but not trying to leave either.

I scooted back into the corner and sunk into myself as silence overcame the moment. Silence that made it impossible to hide the tears that still wanted to fall.

"Derek says I push too hard. I guess he's right. Sometimes I do." He sighed again from behind the curtain. "I know it hurts girl. I know. But it's good for you. You did good back there. I didn't expect you to put up as much of a fight as you did."

"Thank you," I whispered out through the tears. I didn't know if this was his form of an apology or not, but it was probably as close as I would get, at least for now.

"You felt that didn't you. Those instincts being fed by your emotions? It's almost like a drug. You gotta learn to control them, to control it, or it will eat you alive. There are plenty of wolves who will get under your skin the first chance they get, and you can't let them."

I let out another shaky breath and nodded my head. I hated that he was right but knew that I couldn't deny it. "How do I do that?"

"We keep working on it. Being stronger, getting stronger girl, it's not just physically. You gotta strengthen your mind too."

I shook my head. I had been manipulated and used so many times over the years that I wasn't sure if my mind was even capable of that.

"I'm sorry about your husband. What he did to you is shameful, more than that. You're a lot stronger than you look girl."

"Thank you," I whispered out again amongst tiny tears.

"There's no shame in what you did, running from him."

"Doesn't feel that way," I mumbled out.

He sighed again and shifted on the floor. "Don't. There are plenty of people in this world who will pick a fight that's not worth it, that they can't win, that will cost them their lives. There's no shame in doing the smart thing."

"So is that what you did too?" my small voice asked over trapped silence.
"How about this," Levi started while Popping open a can, "I ask you a question and you have to answer honestly and you get to do the same."

"Fine."

He took a sip then set the can down on the tile floor with a clink. "To answer your question, it's yes and n0. There were some things I needed to be on my own to figure out and others that I needed to be away from for a while."

Vague. I shook my head and wiped away the last bits of tears. I didn't know if I was ever going to get a real answer out of him, but I knew I wasn't going to get any more. The vagueness had to be enough for now.

"How long were you married?"

"Almost three years. We got married our senior year of college." The answer was simple yet the answer in itself tugged at the pain in my heart.

"Why does Derek live with you?"

He chuckled then took another sip from his can.

"Because according to him, I can't take care of my own sorry ass. That and he owes me a debt and feels like this is a way to start paying it back.

"Parents?"

"Dead." I hit my lip and tried not to let more tears fall. "My mother died of Leukemia and my father drove his truck into an icy lake in the middle of winter."

"I'm sorry," he answered softly. "So what did you do for Derek then?"

I heard him lean against the wall and roll the ends of his can in a circle on the floor. "I saved his ass. Well, saved his and his mate's ass."

"Mates?"

He chuckled and stopped the can, "Not your turn to ask a question Charlie girl

I huffed and sunk deeper into the water. I had almost forgotten that I was completely naked, but the exhaust in my body overcame that. I was too tired to really care. "Why did you decide to leave?"

I felt a small smile of pride start to tug at my lips. It was one of the few things that I had done right in my life. "I had enough. I realized that I was so far from the person I used to be or wanted to be. I had enough and I hated him. I knew if I stayed any longer that I would never live to see twenty five. Each time it was worse With him."

"Should have killed that bastard on your way out," Levi added.

"If I could, I would," I agreed.

"That water's probably getting cold. Better get on out so Derek can fix you some dinner."

Levi stood and started to slowly walk out of the room. I let out a breath and stood quickly as well, peeking my head around the curtain. "Levi?"

He turned back, hand catching on the door as he hovered the doorway and looked at me curiously.

"Thank you," I said gently with a tiny smile. He nodded to me then closed the door so I could dress and dry off my tired limbs.

Derek fed us leftover spaghetti, which I was more than happy to gobble up. I was convinced that it was one hundred times better the second day, to which Derek and Levi both agreed. It had to be a rule of food. Most things were better on the second day.

The conversation at dinner was kept to a minimal, it was like both of them knew that I wanted to be left to my thoughts. My thoughts swam around in tortuous circles, mixed with new thoughts coming from the thing that was scratching at the back of my brain.

The rage and icy fury was warring with the sadness and anger that I had towards myself. I was so mad, so mad at myself for being so weak, so pathetic for so long; and for letting Levi get under my skin so easily, using the wounds I already had against me.
Yet I also felt a deep sadness within me. A sadness for the life I never had, for the loss of my parents, and for the pain that had been inflicted on me. I hadn't really ever mourned. Not really.

I suppose that there was never a bad time to start. I suppose you had to start.

So I laid my head down on my pillow in the serene darkness and let myself cry. Cry without repercussion or shame.

Tomorrow would be a new day. But first, I had to cry.

So what do you guys think about Levi?! Remember to comment and vote!

Thank you,

1 Like

Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by Ultimategeneral: 4:47am On Oct 09, 2019
thanks bro, for the update.
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by Ann2012(f): 5:14am On Oct 09, 2019
Levi really pushed her hard but it was worth it

Thanks for the update
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by Tygold1(f): 8:36am On Oct 09, 2019
I think Levi has some kind of history, and he's running his life based on the scars or lessons. That should be why he's so reserved and hard. Kudos to you writer. smiley
Re: "The Bite" A Story By Nightcrawler123 by mhizv(f): 8:51am On Oct 09, 2019
phoenixchap:
Still won't believe this is work from your imagination nightcrawler. Everything is abit too perfect, I'll be watching this space. Nice one till proving otherwise

It's a Wattpad story. Just completed it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review / Introvert (a Short Story) / Ikenna Igwe Shares Horror Experiences In A Face-me-i-face-you Building

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 422
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.