Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,308 members, 7,836,342 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:43 AM

Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari (42042 Views)

Insecurity: We Need Berlin Kind Of Walls At Our Borders - Navy Tells Reps / Xenophobia: Why We Closed Our Embassy In Nigeria – South Africa / Buhari: Why We Closed Nigeria’s Border With Benin Republic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by wirinet(m): 7:53pm On Sep 20, 2019
davillian:
If this is the kind of love you have for Nigerians please take it back and let us buy fake electrical appliances,fake drugs and substandard food stuff.
Like all those items doesn't end up in custom officers kitchen.
If the country was good we won't be buying tokunbo cars, shoes,bags,clothes,shoes etc.
In Nigeria if you are not born with a silver spoon then you most have used a tokumbo item.
What of second hand bra, pants, socks and boxers? Is it because the country was not good that we import these items thrown away inside dustbins in foreign countries, instead of our people producing them?

3 Likes

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by MrNipplesLover(m): 7:54pm On Sep 20, 2019
ArmaniUhuru:
I will only take you people serious when you stop importation of foreign cars. Let’s patronize innoson

grin grin grin

all ports should be closed.

#DontSayBaba

1 Like

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Nobody: 7:56pm On Sep 20, 2019
sammyj:
cool The government should make the substandard items like rice , live stock products available and affordable to the masses before embarking on this border closure. Abeg if this products are available then the need to bring them through the border will fruitless. shocked The government is not getting it right on this ! :

Abi ke. Government refuses to streamline/reform our port system so that products can come in and go out at will, instead they prefer Nigerians to enrich Benin with our custom duties and smuggle in these goods we do not produce. Either way Nigerians have to eat, they will not starve and they have the money ready to pay at least until we kickstart the local sectors to provide homegrown alternatives. All these guys in Abuja/CBN think about is forex. And why exactly? Because they've been making a killing over the past four years roundtripping the stuff.

I've never seen a more useless set of bonehead bastards, emptyheaded government officials than this Buhari administration. They are busy awarding fraudulent contracts and stealing while the country slowly grinds to a halt. Four years is enough for Buhari and his kin to roll out an Agric revolution, to roll out an industrial development plan. But no. If Dangote does not want to do a particular business, government will never think in its direction.

Godforsaken animals in human skin.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by West2019(m): 8:01pm On Sep 20, 2019
I will only take u serious when patronizes hospital nd school in overseas

2 Likes

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by eniorisha(m): 8:04pm On Sep 20, 2019
Baba, when will u close air border too? U can't stop us from crossing d land borders to other neighboring countries while u & other "headaches" of this country fly in & out anytime u like.

1 Like

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by ejimatic: 8:05pm On Sep 20, 2019
IamHeWrites:

President Muhammadu Buhari, on Friday, received the leadership of the Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture, NACCIMA, Igbere TV reports.

Our State House correspondent reports that the delegation, which were drawn from Nigeria and other West African countries, were received at the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Speaking on the closure of the Nigerian border, President Buhari said the aim was to put an end to smuggling and dumping of substandard items from other countries into Nigeria.

He lamented the impact of fake drugs and foods on the Nigerian citizens, including how fake electrical items have led to fires in homes and loss of lives and property.

The president said since the border was shut, Nigeria has witnessed a significant drop in the volumes of counterfeit smuggled goods in Nigerian markets.

Buhari, who was conferred with "Grand Patron" of the association by the delegates, equally used the opportunity to thank the NACCIMA for the honour.

Read the full statement posted on his verified Twitter handle, @MBuhari, as obtained by Igbere TV.

Today I met with a delegation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry from Nigeria and West Africa. I assured them of our administration’s readiness to work with them to bring an end to smuggling and the dumping of substandard items in West Africa and on the continent.

It is regrettable there there are traders who simply do not play by the rules; who choose profits over patriotism, and
whose selfish practices in perpetrating smuggling and counterfeiting help keep foreign factories working while closing ours.

We have all heard stories about the dangerous and sometimes, fatal impact of fake drugs and foods on our citizens. We have also seen how fake electrical items have led to fires in homes and markets thereby destroying lives and property.

Most of these substandard and illegal items are smuggled through our land borders. After many years of diplomacy and aggressive regulatory oversight which yielded few results, we decided to close our land borders for a limited time to assess the impact of this measure.

Within a few short weeks since the partial border closures began, we are already seeing a decline in the volumes of counterfeit smuggled goods in some of our major markets across the country.

This validates our action as a Government when we insist that the African Continental Free Trade Agreement must not only promote free trade, but legal trade of quality made-in-Africa goods and services.

We will soon finalise the National Action Committee on the implementation of the AfCFTA. We expect the organized private sector to continue to support us in achieving a Free Trade Area that employs Africans to produce high-quality made-in-Africa products.

Let me also thank NACCIMA for the honour done to me with the investiture today as their Grand Patron. I will not let them down. Trade is central to our economy; we are a nation of traders,and have been for centuries. I will ensure that we continue to give the sector full support.

http://igberetvnews.com/980219/border-closure-buhari-receives-chambers-of-commerce-in-abuja-photos/

. closure of the border is not by any means justifiable..Masses need food and other basic commodities without stress..Local rice is even more expensive than the imported rice....It is out of place for basic commodities to be out of reach for the Nigerian masses....In government houses they still all eat imported rice ....I implore the president to make Masses smile by opening the border for basic necessities of life.
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by davillian(m): 8:05pm On Sep 20, 2019
wirinet:

What of second hand bra, pants, socks and boxers? Is it because the country was not good that we import these items thrown away inside dustbins in foreign countries, instead of our people producing them?
If there was no market for it nobody will import it and if imported nobody will buy it
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by 1759ademola(m): 8:08pm On Sep 20, 2019
Pls where is Nigeria rice. You're just making life difficult for Nigerians
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by stan83: 8:08pm On Sep 20, 2019
IamHeWrites:

President Muhammadu Buhari, on Friday, received the leadership of the Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture, NACCIMA, Igbere TV reports.

Our State House correspondent reports that the delegation, which were drawn from Nigeria and other West African countries, were received at the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Speaking on the closure of the Nigerian border, President Buhari said the aim was to put an end to smuggling and dumping of substandard items from other countries into Nigeria.

He lamented the impact of fake drugs and foods on the Nigerian citizens, including how fake electrical items have led to fires in homes and loss of lives and property.

The president said since the border was shut, Nigeria has witnessed a significant drop in the volumes of counterfeit smuggled goods in Nigerian markets.

Buhari, who was conferred with "Grand Patron" of the association by the delegates, equally used the opportunity to thank the NACCIMA for the honour.

Read the full statement posted on his verified Twitter handle, @MBuhari, as obtained by Igbere TV.

Today I met with a delegation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry from Nigeria and West Africa. I assured them of our administration’s readiness to work with them to bring an end to smuggling and the dumping of substandard items in West Africa and on the continent.

It is regrettable there there are traders who simply do not play by the rules; who choose profits over patriotism, and
whose selfish practices in perpetrating smuggling and counterfeiting help keep foreign factories working while closing ours.

We have all heard stories about the dangerous and sometimes, fatal impact of fake drugs and foods on our citizens. We have also seen how fake electrical items have led to fires in homes and markets thereby destroying lives and property.

Most of these substandard and illegal items are smuggled through our land borders. After many years of diplomacy and aggressive regulatory oversight which yielded few results, we decided to close our land borders for a limited time to assess the impact of this measure.

Within a few short weeks since the partial border closures began, we are already seeing a decline in the volumes of counterfeit smuggled goods in some of our major markets across the country.

This validates our action as a Government when we insist that the African Continental Free Trade Agreement must not only promote free trade, but legal trade of quality made-in-Africa goods and services.

We will soon finalise the National Action Committee on the implementation of the AfCFTA. We expect the organized private sector to continue to support us in achieving a Free Trade Area that employs Africans to produce high-quality made-in-Africa products.

Let me also thank NACCIMA for the honour done to me with the investiture today as their Grand Patron. I will not let them down. Trade is central to our economy; we are a nation of traders,and have been for centuries. I will ensure that we continue to give the sector full support.

http://igberetvnews.com/980219/border-closure-buhari-receives-chambers-of-commerce-in-abuja-photos/

that is why they still call you clueless president, The continuous screening of corrupt immigration officers would have solve this issue instead putting the struggling citizens in a very tight coner. and
you still claim you are fighting corruption.
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by GoodofNaija: 8:10pm On Sep 20, 2019
This is the same man who runs to UK for medical treatment!!!
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by nicepoker101(m): 8:14pm On Sep 20, 2019
novaman:
God bless you Mr. President, I just wish the boarder could shut for about 2 years or more so that we can look inward
But the northern boarder is still open.
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Juliusobi(m): 8:22pm On Sep 20, 2019
Nigeria President and useless talk are like Mr Ibu and stupidity

1 Like

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by frowland(m): 8:27pm On Sep 20, 2019
ArmaniUhuru:
I will only take you people serious when you stop importation of foreign cars. Let’s patronize innoson
Innoson vehicles is expensive for whatever reason. I wish to have that their truck. I love that truck.
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by DeHitMan450: 8:31pm On Sep 20, 2019
GMB!thumb up for on this,this is what should have been done long ago but instead our past leaders were grandstanding with the closing of the border which is the country primary interest.PLEASE! ENOUGH OF THE DUMPING GOODS,especially electronic equipments,which have distroyed lives and properties.

1 Like

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Nobody: 8:33pm On Sep 20, 2019
Na gate una close, but only Trump can close the forests and the swamps
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Litmus: 8:38pm On Sep 20, 2019
Is it me or has Boko attacks slowed?

And a lull in kidnappings

...now that I’ve stated it, there’d probably be a large attack
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by ofiko123(m): 8:45pm On Sep 20, 2019
I guess the reason for the closure is understandable..Nigeria sai buhari..
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 20, 2019
If we can consume local beans, yam, millet etc. I believe we can also consume locally farmed and produced rice.
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by chomaloo(m): 9:10pm On Sep 20, 2019
On these parts i must commend our president. We are playing big brother with our African brothers while they (african countries) are using us to achieve their aim and turn to degrade and make carricature of Nigerians. As it Stands now i have no respect for other african countries. They ride ys for long

1 Like

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Chiefochiefo(m): 9:12pm On Sep 20, 2019
sammyj:
cool The government should make the substandard items like rice , live stock products available and affordable to the masses before embarking on this border closure. Abeg if this products are available then the need to bring them through the border will fruitless. shocked The government is not getting it right on this ! :
Is only you and your family will eat substandard items. Ozuai
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by AngelicBeing: 9:16pm On Sep 20, 2019
Logobenz:
cheesy
I dey vex with this news, I have 5000 containers of Black label Johny walker hanging in Togo and Benin Republic tongue
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Nobody: 9:18pm On Sep 20, 2019
AngelicBeing:
I dey vex with this news, I have 5000 containers of Black label Johny walker hanging in Togo and Benin Republic tongue
I just dey laff the mumu.
Whether e block am or not,boys dey pass on a steady with excess goods grin
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by sammyj: 9:18pm On Sep 20, 2019
..... lipsrsealed
Chiefochiefo:

Is only you and your family will eat substandard items. Ozuai
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by osazsky(m): 9:22pm On Sep 20, 2019
Foreign goods are not good for you people but London hospital is very good for me.why Cant Nigerians see I am trying to make a better Nigeria,, come 2022 if the borders remain closed then we will be like China,London, usa
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by AngelicBeing: 9:23pm On Sep 20, 2019
Logobenz:
I just dey laff the mumu.
Whether e block am or not,boys dey pass on a steady with excess goods grin
lol, more goods enter via bush path along idiroko, owode, Seme etc than via the official border sef, it will mean more egunje for custom officers, more money to fúçk hoes, eat suya and drink Big stout for my custom friends and business will continue as usual grin
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 20, 2019
AngelicBeing:
lol, more goods enter via bush path along idiroko, owode, Seme etc than via the official border sef, it will mean more egunje for custom officers, more money to fúçk hoes, eat suya and drink Big stout for my custom friends and business will continue as usual grin
you sabi!
Mallam Daura na big idiot.Like say major smugglers be dey ever pass for border before undecided
He has just opened the floodgates of money for boys.The way them go hike prices now ehn...
Patiently waiting for rice to hit 30k grin
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by osazsky(m): 9:33pm On Sep 20, 2019
frowland:

Innoson vehicles is expensive for whatever reason. I wish to have that their truck. I love that truck.
people fail to understand that it is better to import than produce,infact u will spend more,in a country where u provide ur security provide ur water,provide ur electricity,all d govt does is to collect tax,if u are producing a smart TV here ,LG Nigeria will have to sell to us at very high rate compared to the once they produced in China cuz they will spend more those of u shouting local rice I bought a bag for the first time at 21k per bag,in my first bite i cracked a stone,the prob is not blocking borders anybody can block its borders the right question should be what is this govt doing to encourage farming,they want everybody to farm no tractor no incentives,no soft easy loans but they create an environment that will make us prone to herdsmen attack and nobody is talking spits pls nobody should mention China here I know d history of China and what thier govt put in place before they blocked their boders

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by bubu2019: 9:45pm On Sep 20, 2019
novaman:
God bless you Mr. President, I just wish the boarder could shut for about 2 years or more so that we can look inward
can you swear that our president eat local rice?
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by dasparrow: 10:00pm On Sep 20, 2019
Let the borders remain closed. It's not as if these other African nation's like us anyway. Just saying.
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by renewable1(m): 10:10pm On Sep 20, 2019
Clueless

Get this unique 1kva complete solar power system for 140k today.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE NOW
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by OG1BABY(f): 10:22pm On Sep 20, 2019
Bouncingbabyboy:
Welcome development.....but when will you stop patronizing foreign hospitals as it also kills our health sector

Gbam
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by gtown: 10:22pm On Sep 20, 2019
The moment I saw where the president mentioned 'fake' in the speech, I knew this thread is in for another bashful comments from those people.They are good in smuggling into the country everything fake and contraband.
Since they are not always at peace with the president, they are seeing this act of partial closure of the borders a direct attack on them
But no matter how loud these 'foreigners' cry, we Nigerians urge the president to Continue with these good and noble policies.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 / Sanwo-Olu Visits The Collapse Scene, Checked On The Survivors At Hospital - Pics / We’ve Licensed Telcos To Provide NIN - NIMC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.