Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,672 members, 7,823,897 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari (42032 Views)

Insecurity: We Need Berlin Kind Of Walls At Our Borders - Navy Tells Reps / Xenophobia: Why We Closed Our Embassy In Nigeria – South Africa / Buhari: Why We Closed Nigeria’s Border With Benin Republic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Legendguru: 10:24pm On Sep 20, 2019
U closed border and make life hard for the masses just to raise tax and funds your colleagues will squander right .since you don’t even buy rise and other foodstuffs I guess you won’t even know the impact of your action.before you take decisions like this nigeria should be working first . We product nothing yet we make life difficult for those who are trying by all means to get foodstuffs in at cheaper rate to cater for the need of the masses.the duty you want to enforce will only be relevant the the same politicians won’t squander it
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by comradewanle(m): 10:43pm On Sep 20, 2019
davillian:
If this is the kind of love you have for Nigerians please take it back and let us buy fake electrical appliances,fake drugs and substandard food stuff.
Like all those items doesn't end up in custom officers kitchen.
If the country was good we won't be buying tokunbo cars, shoes,bags,clothes,shoes etc.
In Nigeria if you are not born with a silver spoon then you most have used a tokumbo item.

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by obama30: 11:53pm On Sep 20, 2019
IamHeWrites:

President Muhammadu Buhari, on Friday, received the leadership of the Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture, NACCIMA, Igbere TV reports.

Our State House correspondent reports that the delegation, which were drawn from Nigeria and other West African countries, were received at the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Speaking on the closure of the Nigerian border, President Buhari said the aim was to put an end to smuggling and dumping of substandard items from other countries into Nigeria.

He lamented the impact of fake drugs and foods on the Nigerian citizens, including how fake electrical items have led to fires in homes and loss of lives and property.

The president said since the border was shut, Nigeria has witnessed a significant drop in the volumes of counterfeit smuggled goods in Nigerian markets.

Buhari, who was conferred with "Grand Patron" of the association by the delegates, equally used the opportunity to thank the NACCIMA for the honour.

Read the full statement posted on his verified Twitter handle, @MBuhari, as obtained by Igbere TV.

Today I met with a delegation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry from Nigeria and West Africa. I assured them of our administration’s readiness to work with them to bring an end to smuggling and the dumping of substandard items in West Africa and on the continent.

It is regrettable there there are traders who simply do not play by the rules; who choose profits over patriotism, and
whose selfish practices in perpetrating smuggling and counterfeiting help keep foreign factories working while closing ours.

We have all heard stories about the dangerous and sometimes, fatal impact of fake drugs and foods on our citizens. We have also seen how fake electrical items have led to fires in homes and markets thereby destroying lives and property.

Most of these substandard and illegal items are smuggled through our land borders. After many years of diplomacy and aggressive regulatory oversight which yielded few results, we decided to close our land borders for a limited time to assess the impact of this measure.

Within a few short weeks since the partial border closures began, we are already seeing a decline in the volumes of counterfeit smuggled goods in some of our major markets across the country.

This validates our action as a Government when we insist that the African Continental Free Trade Agreement must not only promote free trade, but legal trade of quality made-in-Africa goods and services.

We will soon finalise the National Action Committee on the implementation of the AfCFTA. We expect the organized private sector to continue to support us in achieving a Free Trade Area that employs Africans to produce high-quality made-in-Africa products.

Let me also thank NACCIMA for the honour done to me with the investiture today as their Grand Patron. I will not let them down. Trade is central to our economy; we are a nation of traders,and have been for centuries. I will ensure that we continue to give the sector full support.

http://igberetvnews.com/980219/border-closure-buhari-receives-chambers-of-commerce-in-abuja-photos/

hear him ( but legal trade of quality made-in-Africa goods and services) how can made in Nigeria goods be transport to Mali or BurkinaFaso when you close Ecowas corridor that leads in and out of your country?how can Niger republic shoe and already made wear seller transport the goods he bought from Aba to Niger. my friend you don't know anything concern economy so stop making excuses why you close boarder. the other day you said rice, today you said another thing, the first day you close boarder on 19 August morning , with you military men going up and down of immigration building at Seme, we were told that some militant smuggled ammunition from the boarder to Abuja. who is controlling the boarder a northerner, who head immigration, who are all the security agency head, and who smuggled the ammunition the same northerners. the only happy thing is that you have you have 3 years plus to vacate that seat whether you like it or not then you will see all the thing you said you can't permit how it will be permitted by next leader even if he is your anointed successor. when God want to punish a nation he give them a man name Buhari

1 Like

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by buchilino(m): 1:48am On Sep 21, 2019
glink2015:

When you start using your brain to type and not your .....

I DOUBT IF U HAVE A HEAD LET ALONE BRAIN

1 Like

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by ini4brandon(m): 5:07am On Sep 21, 2019
[quote author=Bouncingbabyboy post=82412624]Welcome development.....but when will you stop patronizing foreign hospitals as it also kills our health sector [/quote good question. Meanwhile, on the flip side,
A farmer friend in Sokoto says the border closure has negatively affected exportation of his garlic to neighborhoring countries.

1 Like

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Bouncingbabyboy(m): 5:47am On Sep 21, 2019
[quote author=ini4brandon post=82422010][/quote] hmmmmm
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Naira2245: 5:58am On Sep 21, 2019
what nonsense .

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by babaneenoni(m): 6:28am On Sep 21, 2019
embarassed he has finally lost his destination
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Omoboricash(m): 6:54am On Sep 21, 2019
Bouncingbabyboy:
Welcome development.....but when will you stop patronizing foreign hospitals as it also kills our health sector
I wish he could live by example. Let him practice what he teaches. Yes let all the boarder be closed and produce what we eat/use . This will help our economy. But our leaders have to live exemplary life

1 Like

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Bouncingbabyboy(m): 7:55am On Sep 21, 2019
Omoboricash:

I wish he could live by example. Let him practice what he teaches. Yes let all the boarder be closed and produce what we eat/use . This will help our economy. But our leaders have to live exemplary life
sadly they won’t live an exemplary life
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Mynightmare: 10:08am On Sep 21, 2019
glink2015:

When you start using your brain to type and not your .....
tell me the wrong thing he said you son of a thousand fathers,I don't know the type of reasoning you zombies have.
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by aojully: 11:33am On Sep 21, 2019
Abba Kyari self

Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by enomakos(m): 9:54pm On Sep 21, 2019
nicepoker101:
But the northern boarder is still open.
which of the northern borders?
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by Abuloma80(f): 11:28pm On Sep 25, 2019
Starboytwo:
Close the damn motherfucki.ng border.... Nigeria rice is not good, nigeria rice get stone, blah blah, who come be Nigeria? No be all of us....

By brother l agree with your reasoning. What about the "wife material" talks. She should be able to sieve out the stone from the rice. With all honesty the local rice is tastier than the imported ones. Mark you local rice might be just 2 months old after harvesting as against foreign rice of not less than 3 years old after harvesting.

Last time the popular cleric at Kaduna Sheik Ahamed Gumi was trying to justify opening borders to allow everything and anything to be brought into Nigeria. He was comparing Nigeria to Saudi Arabia where such is done. Where indigenes rarely work and consume all imported goods. My question is are our source of income the same? Apart from their massive oil revenue they get, in fact higher than any oil producing countries, they equally earn royalties from pilgrimage and tourism into the country huge enough as an income to a country. With annual pilgrims of over 2 million for hajj and a higher number for Umrah (visits) yearly.

Their redundancies and consumption of imported goods are solely the reason for their obesity. 90% of Saudis are obesied and we know the consequences of that to lifespan. Is that a good thing we should want to have?

A beg Mallam should keep quiet and allow Baba to do the thing he sabi best. Close up the borders, force the jobless back to farms. Entice the citizens go into farming for additional incomes. So Baba Kwantinu closing borders a beg.
Re: Why We Closed Our Borders - President Buhari by ejimatic: 6:55pm On Sep 27, 2019
IamHeWrites:

President Muhammadu Buhari, on Friday, received the leadership of the Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture, NACCIMA, Igbere TV reports.

Our State House correspondent reports that the delegation, which were drawn from Nigeria and other West African countries, were received at the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Speaking on the closure of the Nigerian border, President Buhari said the aim was to put an end to smuggling and dumping of substandard items from other countries into Nigeria.

He lamented the impact of fake drugs and foods on the Nigerian citizens, including how fake electrical items have led to fires in homes and loss of lives and property.

The president said since the border was shut, Nigeria has witnessed a significant drop in the volumes of counterfeit smuggled goods in Nigerian markets.

Buhari, who was conferred with "Grand Patron" of the association by the delegates, equally used the opportunity to thank the NACCIMA for the honour.

Read the full statement posted on his verified Twitter handle, @MBuhari, as obtained by Igbere TV.

Today I met with a delegation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry from Nigeria and West Africa. I assured them of our administration’s readiness to work with them to bring an end to smuggling and the dumping of substandard items in West Africa and on the continent.

It is regrettable there there are traders who simply do not play by the rules; who choose profits over patriotism, and
whose selfish practices in perpetrating smuggling and counterfeiting help keep foreign factories working while closing ours.

We have all heard stories about the dangerous and sometimes, fatal impact of fake drugs and foods on our citizens. We have also seen how fake electrical items have led to fires in homes and markets thereby destroying lives and property.

Most of these substandard and illegal items are smuggled through our land borders. After many years of diplomacy and aggressive regulatory oversight which yielded few results, we decided to close our land borders for a limited time to assess the impact of this measure.

Within a few short weeks since the partial border closures began, we are already seeing a decline in the volumes of counterfeit smuggled goods in some of our major markets across the country.

This validates our action as a Government when we insist that the African Continental Free Trade Agreement must not only promote free trade, but legal trade of quality made-in-Africa goods and services.

We will soon finalise the National Action Committee on the implementation of the AfCFTA. We expect the organized private sector to continue to support us in achieving a Free Trade Area that employs Africans to produce high-quality made-in-Africa products.

Let me also thank NACCIMA for the honour done to me with the investiture today as their Grand Patron. I will not let them down. Trade is central to our economy; we are a nation of traders,and have been for centuries. I will ensure that we continue to give the sector full support.

http://igberetvnews.com/980219/border-closure-buhari-receives-chambers-of-commerce-in-abuja-photos/

. Imported rice is now 24thousands. Local lrice is now 21 thousand.... Whoever advised PMB to close border did not have the interest of the masses.....Masses are still suffering. while the ruling class continues to eat imported rice....With due respect to the president, we can't continue like this with this untold hardship on the Nigerians.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fashola Spent N139million On Two Boreholes - Lagos Government / Fulani Herdsmen Flee Enugu / Njideka Akunyili Crosby Sets A New Auction Record In New York

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.