Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,359 members, 7,815,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement (4042 Views)

Amaechi, Fashola, Fayemi At APC Caucus Meeting (Caption Photo) / Udoedehe: Akpabio Gave Us N3m “transport Money” Each After PDP Caucus Meetings / APC Says Nigeria Will Pay Heavily For Jonathan’s Endorsement As Sole Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by chyz1: 11:21pm On Oct 31, 2010
[size=18pt]2011: Ohanaeze caucus okays Jonathan’s endorsement[/size]
News Oct 31, 2010

By Tony Edike

ENUGU—THE Imeobi (Inner caucus) of the apex Igbo socio-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo has formally ratified the endorsement of President Goodluck Jonathan’s bid for the 2011 presidential election, insisting that his choice was the outcome of five months consultation with a wide spectrum of Ndigbo in Nigeria and the Diaspora.

President General of Ohanaeze, Ambassador Ralph Uwechue, who made this known while presenting the communiqué of the Imeobi meeting held in Enugu weekend, also said the meeting approved the extension of the tenure of Ohanaeze’s executive from two to four years, beginning from the current executive.

Uwechue, who defended his earlier decision to announce the endorsement of Jonathan without the approval of Imeobi and the General Assembly of Ohanaeze, said that following the wide consultations by a group of eminent Igbo leaders on the 2011 presidency, it became pertinent to make the position of the organization known, pending its ratification by the enlarged meeting of the body.
… As Clarke hails Ohanaeze on Jonathan

By Dennis Agbo

NSUKKA—FIRST Republic politician and former Minister for Information, Chief Edwin Clarke, has commended the apex socio-cultural organization of the Igbo, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, for endorsing President Goodluck Jonathan as a candidate all Igbo should support and vote for in 2011 presidential election.

Clarke said that by the singular gesture, the Igbo had re-demonstrated an acknowledgment of the old tie between the South East and South-South that he described as one entity only separated by delineations for convenience of political administration.

Clarke, who spoke at Nsukka, Enugu State, weekend, at the declaration of Mrs. Chinwe Ugwu for House of Representative, said in reality, President Jonathan could not be separated from the Igbo, noting that it was very possible for President Jonathan’s successor by 2015 to come from the South East.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/2011-ohanaeze-caucus-okays-jonathans-endorsement/
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by Onlytruth(m): 12:08am On Nov 01, 2010
So where are those who said Uwechue was making a personal statement on Jonathan?
The man Uwechue is a seasoned diplomat with impeccable credentials. And attack on him is just wrong.
If anyone doesn't like Ohanaeze's endorsement, no one will force them on the day of elections. My position is that they are serving us (Ndigbo) very well. cool
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by AndreUweh(m): 12:16am On Nov 01, 2010
I still maintain that GEJ is a better choice than IBB, Atiku and Buhari joined together.
Ohanaeze meant well for Ndigbo.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by udezue(m): 12:31am On Nov 01, 2010
Good development.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by chyz1: 12:32am On Nov 01, 2010
The decision is FINAL. Anyboby claiming to be Ohanaeze and giving support to IBB or any other candidate is false.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by Abagworo(m): 12:43am On Nov 01, 2010
Ohanaeze should stick with their socio-cultural activities.The reformed Igbo union is top of the agenda to serve as a new political front for Igbos.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by MetalGong4: 1:14am On Nov 01, 2010
Ohaneze Ndigbo is on a suicidal political mission . . . . Jonathan is a bad baggage for Igbos.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by jason12345: 1:19am On Nov 01, 2010
MetalGong4:

Ohaneze Ndigbo is on a suicidal political mission . . . . Jonathan is a bad baggage for Igbos.

pls explain smiley
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by marcdunu: 1:50am On Nov 01, 2010
A partern is emerging on how Jonathan will govern Nigeria, coup upon coup in all works of life all done behind the scene and it is unfortunate that Ohaneze has allowed itself to become the latest victim of this tactics.

It is the voice of Jacob, the hand of Essau.

From the attempt to convert FG employees to PDP delegates
To getting Ralph Uwechue to endorse Jonathan on behalf of Ohaneze only to get Imeobi to approve it retrospect 3 weeks later
To the locking out of Igbo personalities in Owerri
To plotting to install a new Chairman of Governors forum without the consent of Governors
To running for election on the platform of PDP against its zoning policy.

It is piling up and shows a President whose pass  time is to abuse and disrespect laid down rules.

This President is a criminal and Ndigbo must not follow Ralph Uwechue while he hijacks Ohaneze to pursue the agenda of his dumb South-South brother.

Ken Nnamani, ABC Nwosu, Jim Nwobodo and all those who do not support this madness by Uwechue must come together and publish a unified statement condemning the behaviour of Ralph Uwechue and his Ohaneze.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by Onlytruth(m): 2:34am On Nov 01, 2010
marcdunu:

A partern is emerging on how Jonathan will govern Nigeria, coup upon coup in all works of life all done behind the scene and it is unfortunate that Ohaneze has allowed itself to become the latest victim of this tactics.

It is the voice of Jacob, the hand of Essau.

From the attempt to convert FG employees to PDP delegates
To getting Ralph Uwechue to endorse Jonathan on behalf of Ohaneze only to get Imeobi to approve it retrospect 3 weeks later
To the locking out of Igbo personalities in Owerri
To plotting to install a new Chairman of Governors forum without the consent of Governors
To running for election on the platform of PDP against its zoning policy.

It is piling up and shows a President whose pass  time is to abuse and disrespect laid down rules.

This President is a criminal and Ndigbo must not follow Ralph Uwechue while he hijacks Ohaneze to pursue the agenda of his dumb South-South brother.

Ken Nnamani, ABC Nwosu, Jim Nwobodo and all those who do not support this madness by Uwechue must come together and publish a unified statement condemning the behaviour of Ralph Uwechue and his Ohaneze.

The bolded is my grouse with some of the anti-Jonathan elements on nairaland.

marcdunu, in the name of God, how do you say that Uwechue is a "brother" to Jonathan, but not a brother to the rest of Ndigbo whom he is leading? How did you reach that conclusion?

Honestly, dissent is okay provided it is conducted with common sense, and doesn't create a bigger problem than it is claiming to solve. undecided undecided

Nna if you don't know how else to campaign against Jonathan please SHUT UP.

You are insulting Ndigbo!  angry
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by marcdunu: 2:46am On Nov 01, 2010
Onlytruth:

The bolded is my grouse with some of the anti-Jonathan elements on nairaland.

marcdunu, in the name of God, how do you say that Uwechue is a "brother" to Jonathan, but not a brother to the rest of Ndigbo whom he is leading? How did you reach that conclusion?

Honestly, dissent is okay provided it is conducted with common sense, and doesn't create a bigger problem than it is claiming to solve. undecided undecided

Nna if you don't know how else to campaign against Jonathan please SHUT UP.

You are insulting Ndigbo! angry

Because he has simply thrown Ndigbo under the boss and chose to uphold his South South routes

Now I don't care what you think or anyone else.

SouthEast must not allow Ralph Uwechue to mislead us and when the time comes I trust my folks to do what is right.

Na by Red cap? when time comes we will separate apples from oranges.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by marcdunu: 2:53am On Nov 01, 2010
Onlytruth

Very soon you will learn that there is no need telling someone you have no control over to shut up.

Because they can go on and on and on and on and on and . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . , . . . . . . . . . . . . on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by Onlytruth(m): 3:09am On Nov 01, 2010
marcdunu:

Onlytruth

Very soon you will learn that there is no need telling someone you have no control over to shut up.

Because they can go on and on and on and on and on and . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . , . . . . . . . . . . . . on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't expecting you to stop. undecided

I was saying it to point out to other Igbo readers about the self defeating and fallacious position you are taking, all in desperation to swing Igbo away from Jonathan.

There was a time I was anti-Jonathan as far as this coming election is concerned, and it wasn't even long ago. You can dig up my last months posts and see for yourself.

The difference between your strategy and mine is that I ALWAYS think about how my statements affect Ndigbo and what impact it makes. I want us solving our problems, not by unbridled and bitter dissent. But rather by calculated and thorough positions. It is not wise to kill a fly with a sledgehammer.

You can refuse to accept the Ohanaeze endorsement of Jonathan,but please don't destroy the Igbo family.

Enuf said.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by ChinenyeN(m): 3:40am On Nov 01, 2010
Onlytruth:

How do you say that Uwechue is a "brother" to Jonathan, but not a brother[b] to the rest of Ndigbo whom he is leading?[/b]
Whoa, hold on. Am I reading the bolded correctly?
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by marcdunu: 3:46am On Nov 01, 2010
Very soon we will know who Uwechue shared the 250 million Naira loot he collected from Jonathan with.

time shall reveal it all.

While he is enjoying his loot he should stop insulting our sensibilities with his ridiculous talk of Jonathan handing over to the Igbos in 2015 under some zoning policy invented by Ralph Uwechue and Edwin Clarke.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by Onlytruth(m): 4:00am On Nov 01, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Whoa, hold on. Am I reading the bolded correctly?

Yes, you are reading correctly.
Every Igbo state is represented in Ohanaeze. Abia state is represented in Ohanaeze. You can agree or disagree with their endorsement, but the sooner you realize that you are being represented by them (even if you disagree undecided) in certain national negotiations, the better for your heart health.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by ChinenyeN(m): 4:08am On Nov 01, 2010
Since when did the Igbo elect a leader? I don't remember hearing of any Igbo elections in which Uwechue contested and became "Igbo Leader". I don't recall any apex Igbo political body holding an Igbo-wide election, in which the Oha voted. Ohanaeze is something else. The more I watch, and the more you devouts overexplain, the more Ohanaeze gives itself away as an authoritarian-type organization. 

Socio-cultural indeed. Now the Igbo magically have a leader. .  sni nama.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by marcdunu: 4:14am On Nov 01, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Since when did the Igbo elect a leader? I don't remember hearing of any Igbo elections in which Uwechue contested and became "Igbo Leader". I don't recall any apex Igbo political body holding an Igbo-wide election, in which the Oha voted. Ohanaeze is something else. The more I watch, and the more you devouts overexplain, the more Ohanaeze gives itself away as an authoritarian-type organization. 

Socio-cultural indeed. Now the Igbo magically have a leader. . sni nama.

Don't mind them, their supreme leader has spoken

Ayotollah Uwechue.

He should do us a favour, drop his red cap and put on his resource control cap for that is where his heart is.

Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by EzeUche0(m): 4:17am On Nov 01, 2010
ChinenyeN,

I should know that you would rear your head concerning this issue. What is your problem with Igbo unity and Igbos speaking as one voice? In Nigeria, in order to be heard, you have to speak through your ethnic group.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by chyz1: 4:21am On Nov 01, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Socio-cultural indeed. Now the Igbo magically have a leader. .  sni nama.

Exactly what do you expect them to do as far as being a Pro-Igbo organization?
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by chyz1: 4:23am On Nov 01, 2010
marcdunu:

Ayotollah Uwechue.

He should do us a favour, drop his red cap and put on his resource control cap for that is where his heart is.

Do "US" a favor or U? Who do you suppose we Igbo should support in terms of Igbo interest and why?
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by Onlytruth(m): 4:30am On Nov 01, 2010
chyz1:

Do "US" a favor or U? Who do you suppose we Igbo should support in terms of Igbo interest and why?

Thank you. Now let's hear their own side of the story.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by Onlytruth(m): 4:31am On Nov 01, 2010
I bet you they don't really support any one. They are only angry that Uwechue dared to exercise the power of his office.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by Onlytruth(m): 4:34am On Nov 01, 2010
marcdunu:

Ayotollah Uwechue.

The last time I checked, Uwechue is from Ogwashi Ukwu. There may even be more oil in Anambra state than Ogwashi Ukwu. undecided undecided

Frankly you are destroying the Igbo house without shame. I pity your type and I pity Ndigbo because of your type.

But I don't do much of self pity. I simply fight back.

So dude, you are talking trash.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by marcdunu: 4:36am On Nov 01, 2010
Onlytruth:

Thank you. Now let's hear their own side of the story.

Do us a favour, why do you support Jonathan?

Is he a member of Ohaneze?

What programs did he outline in his declaration speech that will specifically favour Igbos?

Is Jonathan running at this time not a destruction of the PDP zoning policy?

How can Ralph Uwechue support both Jonathan running in 2011 and the PDP zoning policy at the same time?

Under what zoning policy is Uwechue plotting to bring power to South East in 2015? The one invented by Uwechue/Clarke?

It looks like we have a situation where Edwin Clarke is running Ohaneze Ndigbo because he already has control of Ralph Uwechue.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by chyz1: 4:39am On Nov 01, 2010
marcdunu:

What programs did he outline in his declaration speech that will specifically favour Igbos?

How can Ralph Uwechue support both Jonathan running in 2011 and the PDP zoning policy at the same time?

Under what zoning policy is Uwechue plotting to bring power to South East in 2015? The one invented by Uwechue/Clarke?

Answer my question please. Then I will give you my own reasons.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by marcdunu: 4:41am On Nov 01, 2010
chyz1:

Answer my question please. Then I will give you my own reasons.

Why not answer mine since you already have a candidate, or you are supporting someone since Uwechue and Clarke said so?
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by Onlytruth(m): 4:48am On Nov 01, 2010
marcdunu:

Thank you for asking those questions, though you have not put forward an alternative person for Igbo to support. undecided undecided

Firstly, Ohanaeze does not endorse ONLY Igbo persons for president. Jonathan does not need to be an Igbo person to be endorsed by Ohanaeze.

The programs he has outlined include bringing a balance to the Nigerian federation and he has ALREADY demonstrated it by appointing Igbo sons to positions NO Igbo ever held before. He has also approved and allocated funds for the upgrading of Enugu airport to international status. The dredging of river Nigeria has reached about 90% completion rate. Above all, Jonathan is from a contiguous zone, and identifies with Igbo plight in Nigeria. There is no way south south develops without south east gaining from it. Just saying.

Ohanaeze Ndigbo (from their various proclamations) have remained faithful to zoning along GEOPOLITICAL lines from 1999. The north used their power to call it a north -south zoning. It was never a north -south thing. Nigeria has 6 zones for the purposes of zoning.

If you are really sincere with your criticism and not blinded by some reclusive "anti-non-core Igbo" mindset, which is really unfortunate and unacceptable to the majority of Ndigbo, you would desist from accusing Uwechue of running a south south agenda. Your type destroys the Igbo house more than they claim to build. Thank God that majority of Igbo don't think like you.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by chyz1: 4:52am On Nov 01, 2010
marcdunu:

Why not answer mine since you already have a candidate, or you are supporting someone since Uwechue and Clarke said so?

Just as I expected your argument is daft. I've given many reasons for my choice in jonathan before and after Ohanaeze gave their endorsement. Do to your answer I see that your argument is baseless. I will no longer reply until you give me the answer to "Who do you suppose we Igbo should support in terms of Igbo interest and why?".
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by marcdunu: 5:11am On Nov 01, 2010
Cut the crap!!!!

All the of the programme you are giving Jonathan credit for were already in process before Jonathan became President. Whether it dredging of River Niger or making Enugu International Airport.

Ihejirika is not the head of Nigeria's service chiefs, Air Marshall Paul Dike was once CDS and his position betters Ihejirika so please do not make noise about that.

Before Ihejirika was appointed, Jonathan was on a mission to cleanse Igbos from federal Government. Foreign Minister Position went from Ojo Maduekwe to Odein Ajumogbia, Education Minister went from Sam Egwu to Prof Raqia, Ndi Okereke was removed as head of NSE and replaced by Non-Igbo, Prof Iwu was replaced by Prof Jega, Ernest ndukwe of NCC was replaced by whom I do not know.

PDP Chairman Vincent Ogbulafor was treated and hounded for no reason. They claimed he embezzled $1m 5years ago (just because he tried to uphold zoning in the interest of the South East) and replaced him with another who possibly embezzled $230m just because Nwodo with heavy corruption allegation hanging on his neck he will be in Jonathan's pocket.

He did not see any reason to take the South East seriously and we were almost unexistent untill he realised that his political maths does not add up and the SE will be needed for electoral victory then he appointed Ihejirika.

That will not fly. He has no policies for the South East.

After Jonathan Presidency either in 2015 or 2019; power will move to either North central or North East before it will move again to South East in 2027. It will be ok if Jonathan is worth it but he is not.

Yes Power is rotating between both regions and geopolitical zones at the same time and there is nothing anybody can do about it. Not Jonathan, not Edwin Clarke nor Ralph Uwechue.

There is nobody who believes in zoning in the South East who can not see the plane fact that power can not move directly from South South to South East in 2015. And anybody who claims this is possible clearly do not have the interest of the South East at heart and possibly not from the South East.

This kind of treatment is surely not that of a friend. The South East is only Jonathan's friend to the extent that we midwife his misguided ambition to remain President based on nothing.

THE PDP ZONING POLICY MUST BE RESPECTED.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by marcdunu: 5:13am On Nov 01, 2010
chyz1:

Just as I expected your argument is daft. I've given many reasons for my choice in jonathan before and after Ohanaeze gave their endorsement. Do to your answer I see that your argument is baseless. I will no longer reply until you give me the answer to "Who do you suppose we Igbo should support in terms of Igbo interest and why?".

I am surely not looking forward to your reply untill you defend why dumb Jonathan should continue in office.
Re: 2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement by ChinenyeN(m): 5:22am On Nov 01, 2010
EzeUche, you're interpreting my approach all wrong. I have no problem with Igbo unity, so long as it is done properly.

chyz1:

Exactly what do you expect them to do as far as being a Pro-Igbo organization?
I'm sorry. That is incorrect; an Igbo socio-cultural organization. This decision made by Uwechue & Ohanaeze is beyond the bounds of such an organization. Note, there is a clear difference between a recommendation and an endorsement. By endorsing anyone, Ohanaeze is playing politics (which it shouldn't) and establishing itself as an authoritarian-style political body (something which we all know wouldn't fly with us Igbo). Look, all I'm saying is that if Ohanaeze wants to keep up with this behavior, then it should stop trying to hid this emerging authoritarian-style political body behind in the guise of 'socio-culture' and fully step out to present itself as an Igbo political organization and also internally [agreeably] function as such.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Out Of Curiosity: When Did Igbo Migration Begin? / The Biafran Storm Is Circling! / Boko Haram Founder Is Now My Friend And Brother - Femi Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.