Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,285 members, 7,811,846 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees (18092 Views)

Sanwo-Olu Declares Free BRT Rides, Toll On Christmas, New Year Days / Wike Declares Free Primary, Secondary Education In Rivers / Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 21, 2019
next level tinz on point

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by TheAngry1: 5:45pm On Sep 21, 2019
Blue3k2:
If you're already collecting so much money in taxes why would the state need a levy? The state and local governments should be able to fund it with taxes they get.

Btw how many of you send your own kid to public school?

Everything sha na complain. Dem do, you complain. Dem no do, you complain. Na wao!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:45pm On Sep 21, 2019
eedriyz:

'Affordable' has a different meaning to everyone. The N3,500 per term is a lot for some families. I went to public primary and secondary schools so i can relate.

Public pimary and secondary school education should be 100% FREE in Nigeria.
Idris my boss, I greet you.

But mi o agree "bolded" oh!

Even to ba je N500 per child, we should pay something.

Ok pelu gbo gbo "FREE", "FREE", kini standard education ni Nigeria at present, compared to igba ti awon obi wa n san school fees? undecided

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Blue3k2: 5:46pm On Sep 21, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

No I am not.

You Nigerians think your country is as rich as the West. It isn't. We are a poor resource dependent, poorly led country. And yet, we somehow expect free education without thinking about how much it would cost.....

We have free education all over Nigeria...cheap educaiton. And at the end of the day, the schools from primary to tertiary are all badly equipped. Because we want free stuff ....while living on very low oil prices.

Look....I really want educaiton to be free. If it was up to me.....I would have free educaiton. God knows I know most of my countrymen are suffering. B

But we cannot pretend we have the money to fund it.

They pay heavy taxes in Europe for the purpose onf welfare, amenities, public transport etc...here in Nigeria we all rely on Niger Delta oil. The oil that we produce less than the United Arab emirates for a population of 150million and above (UAE has 11million people)...and you expect free educaiton from that??

Either we raise taxes, or we cut subsides on fuel, or we agressively become an industrial nation , and everyone pays taxes at the rate of 40-50% annually, then we can talk of free educaiton.

You cannot get N200000 worth for just N200.

I went to university at N2000 per sememster. My hostel was a mess. My labs were poorly equipped. Libraries did not have enough books. Meanwhile, the private schools are catching up and will soon surpass the free public schools. And when it is time for employment...guess who gets the jobs. The well trained private school grads...or the poorly trained public school free education products .

Yes you are making erroneous arguments. Only you believe it takes 50% of tax revenue to fund public schools. It doesn't anywhere.

Yes you have to raise taxes but they dont need to be over 15% tax to GDP. The OECD average is 36. That pays for the services you see.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Bakerdav: 5:46pm On Sep 21, 2019
Oyo state govt Don make dem get sense,
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Originalsly: 5:47pm On Sep 21, 2019
Omoluabi9:

Education should be affordable, even cheap BUT NOT FREE!

Why not FREE?.... let us hear your reasoning.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by seunny4lif(m): 5:47pm On Sep 21, 2019
We can start first by cutting billions of Naira our leaders wasted every year.
Those money account for more than 40% of our GDP.

PoliticalWitch:

No I am not.

You Nigerians think your country is as rich as the West. It isn't. We are a poor resource dependent, poorly led country. And yet, we somehow expect free education without thinking about how much it would cost.....

We have free education all over Nigeria...cheap educaiton. And at the end of the day, the schools from primary to tertiary are all badly equipped. Because we want free stuff ....while living on very low oil prices.

Look....I really want educaiton to be free. If it was up to me.....I would have free educaiton. God knows I know most of my countrymen are suffering. B

They pay heavy taxes in Europe for the purpose onf welfare, amenities, public transport etc...here in Nigeria we all rely on Niger Delta oil. The oil that we produce less than the United Arab emirates for a population of 150million and above (UAE has 11million people)...and you expect free educaiton from that??

Either we raise taxes, or we cut subsides on fuel, or we agressively become an industrial nation , and everyone pays taxes at the rate of 40-50% annually, then we can talk of free educaiton.

I went to university at N2000 per sememster. My hostel was a mess. My labs were poorly equipped. Libraries did not have enough books. Meanwhile, the private schools are catching up and will soon surpass the free public schools. And when it is time for employment...guess who gets the jobs. The well trained private school grads...or the poorly trained public school free education products .
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by yesloaded: 5:48pm On Sep 21, 2019
Okoroawusa:
The era of free education is gone. No developed country offers free education to its citizens
When you never step out of naija grin

Google is your friend

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 21, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

An average EU country's GDP is far higher than Nigeria's GDP.

Spain spends over 110 billion dolalrs on health. Nigeria spends 10billion dollars or less on the same health. As an example.

Let's face facts. We are not rich. Until we become an industrial nation....we are not rich.

The reason why Nigeria can't fund education is because they don't collect enough taxes.

They don't even have correct statistics on the population

Go and read what bill gates said about Nigeria.

If education is not free, your society will become more criminal, no way for any upward economic mobility.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:50pm On Sep 21, 2019
Nigsrdumb:

The reason why Nigeria can't fund education is because they don't collect enough taxes.

They don't even have correct statistics on the population

Go and read what bill gates said about Nigeria.

If education is not free, your society will become more criminal, no way for any upward economic mobility.

And if the quality of free education is poor...won't you still have the same old criminal issues.

Either taxes rise...or subsidies are cut elsewhere.

Facts is facts.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by seunny4lif(m): 5:51pm On Sep 21, 2019
cool
I understand your point
But our leaders are the problem
They always use 50% of this country GDP on themselves
PoliticalWitch:

Comapre Russia's GDP with Nigeria's GDP....and you will see why they have free education.

Russia is an industrial nation with oil. They export gas, oil, and a host of industrial products. Of course they have money for educaiton.

Nigeria relies on oil (APC is doing nowt about diversificaiton). And the amount of oil we produce is less than the UAE .....who have 11 million people...which is why they can afford all those nice things...while we at 150million can't.

Either we pay high taxes...or we cut subsides to affrod free educaiton.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by GavelSlam: 5:51pm On Sep 21, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

And in many European countries and the UK , the tax rate is about 50%..ie half your salary.

Would you want Buhari to take half your salary in taxes, in return for free education, the way they do it in Denmark for example? Would you?

The tax rate in UK is far less than 50%.
Something like 45% for the highest earners.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Originalsly: 5:52pm On Sep 21, 2019
Okoroawusa:

The era of free education is gone. No developed country offers free education to its citizens

Don't say what you don't know. Public School .... free education.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 21, 2019
GavelSlam:

The tax rate in UK is far less than 50%.
Something like 45% for the highest earners.

And our tax rate is 0-24%.

Plus our revenue from oil is about what the UAE earns from oil...and the UAE has eleven million people.

The government could remove fuel subsides and use the money to guarantee free education...but since it is poltically unpopular....
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by capitalzero: 5:55pm On Sep 21, 2019
Okoroawusa:

Primary school and secondary or other compulsory education is free in many countries Japan, Canada,US, etc.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 21, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

And if the quality of free education is poor...won't you still have the same old criminal issues.

Either taxes rise...or subsidies are cut elsewhere.

Facts is facts.

Money is not the only reason why public schools are bad , it's the curriculum that needs to change.

Maybe some sensible cosmetic changes in the school buildings.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by SIRTee15: 5:59pm On Sep 21, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

No I am not.

u not being logical with this argument...
u can't compare the system in a developed nation to a developing nation...
compare Nigeria to another developing or emerging nation....
the first pathway towards economic prosperity is improved education attainment for majority of the population....
The above cannot be achieved by imposing school levies on students and their parents- those who can't afford it will simply stay away....
and the purpose will be defeated...
travel to the north of this country and check whether those guys will be willing to pay for any entry fees as a requirement to send their wards to school...
the rot in our education system isn't becos its free, its simply because the govt doesn't care....
what we need is change of attitude from govt to see education as a means to social and economic upward mobility irrespective of school fees....
many state govt universities are now as expensive as private ones, yet the rot remain......
most developing nations with low tax rate also offers free basic education to its citizens- even those without oil or proorer than Nigeria.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by flowx(m): 6:00pm On Sep 21, 2019
Story story...
Food for !
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 6:05pm On Sep 21, 2019
SIRTee15:

u not being logical with this argument...
u can't compare the system in a developed nation to a developing nation...
compare Nigeria to another developing or emerging nation....
the first pathway towards economic prosperity is improved education attainment for majority of the population....
The above cannot be achieved by imposing school levies on students and their parents- those who can't afford it will simply stay away....
and the purpose will be defeated...
travel to the north of this country and check whether those guys will be willing to pay for any entry fees as a requirement to send their wards to school...
the rot in our education system isn't becos its free, its simply because the govt doesn't care....
what is need is change of attitude and not school fees...
most developing nations with low tax rate also offers free basic education to its citizens- even those without oil or proorer than Nigeria.

And most developing nations don't have our population and subsist on loans and grants to alarger extent than does Nigeria.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by SIRTee15: 6:11pm On Sep 21, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

And most developing nations don't have our population and subsist on loans and grants to alarger extent than does Nigeria.
well we can argue on subsidies....
I'll understand, but not on education....
one of the key step Nigeria needs to take at this time, in order to lift millions out of poverty is free and compulsory practical basic education for its citizens especially for those below the poverty level.....
My guy, education is key.....
u need to visit far east nations and see the validity in the above phrase...

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Blue3k2: 6:14pm On Sep 21, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

And our tax rate is 0-24%.

Plus our revenue from oil is about what the UAE earns from oil...and the UAE has eleven million people.

The government could remove fuel subsides and use the money to guarantee free education...but since it is poltically unpopular....

The states and local governments can fund public schools themselves. They just need to collect the tax revenue necessary. The FG already does enough for states really. It's said 81% of Nigerians dont pay taxes. That's one issue that need to be addressed.

Notice how most states dont collect 1% of GDP. I'm petty sure they could cover most of their own expenses with 5% tax to GDP. The monthly allocation would just be a bonus.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by EngrXrix(m): 6:16pm On Sep 21, 2019
Omoluabi9:
Education should be affordable, even cheap BUT NOT FREE!

It’s because it’s free that’s why the pupils keep destroying the infrastructure with no regards because they know they won’t pay for the repairs. One of the many reasons why most schools are in a bad shape.

Education should be cheap. NOT FREE

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Kapeter(m): 6:18pm On Sep 21, 2019
MrAnele:
Other Governors should see their mate
is their any state is south west where student pay school fees?
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Obasalemu: 6:19pm On Sep 21, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

No I am not.

this is hyper sense. You know one thing I know about Africans is lack of long term effect. Public as at today, many of the teachers will not allow there children school there. Many politicians will not because of the low quality. If we want free edu. quality must give way for quantity.

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by EngrXrix(m): 6:22pm On Sep 21, 2019
If education should be free then Nigerians are not suppose to pay for jamb and utme. Even the people who introduced us to education said “if you think education is expensive, try ignorance.” You see, they knew education comes at a price. It is valuable. It’s difficult to see serious students in Public schools. Not impossible, just difficult.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Bakrabas: 6:23pm On Sep 21, 2019
Okoroawusa:

What about Norway
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 21, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

An average EU country's GDP is far higher than Nigeria's GDP.

Spain spends over 110 billion dolalrs on health. Nigeria spends 10billion dollars or less on the same health. As an example.

Let's face facts. We are not rich. Until we become an industrial nation....we are not rich.
where does Nigeria get $10b to spend on health? Check your figures I'm sure it's not more than $1b maximum $2b

it's not a question of rich, we dont pay enough taxes....and i wouldnt want to pay for politicians to steal. 80-90% of govt revenue comes from oil and all we get from Oil in a year is about $25-30B
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Kapeter(m): 6:24pm On Sep 21, 2019
SIRTee15:

well we can argue on subsidies....
I'll understand, but not on education....
one of the key step Nigeria needs to take at this time, in order to lift millions out of poverty is free and compulsory practical basic education for its citizens especially for those below the poverty level.....
My guy, education is key.....
u need to visit far east nations and see the validity in the above phrase...
education can be free buh surely not compulsory. Human development is the right thing to look on to, this is one thing africa is the way it is. Learn to develop a child instead of forcing him to school. Imagine all those european footballers being forced to school instead of putting them up in football academy instead. Just imagine the unemployment saga they'd be suffering. School isn't the only place we learn. Africa is really not doing well when it comes to human development.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by nopoverty(m): 6:24pm On Sep 21, 2019
Shame on ondo state who proudly itself as a education state .They cannot provide free and qualitative education
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Kapeter(m): 6:25pm On Sep 21, 2019
Bakrabas:

What about Norway
seems they introduced fees about two years ago.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Kapeter(m): 6:26pm On Sep 21, 2019
nopoverty:
Shame on ondo state who proudly itself as a education state .They cannot provide free and qualitative education
what do you mean? Education in Ondo state not free?
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 21, 2019
nopoverty:

awo provided free quality education but what people dont tell you is he taxed all the people in the west, market women etc

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Bola Tinubu Is Trending In Osun State? / Don’t Curse Nigeria. Change Bad Leaders In Next Election - President Tinubu / Buhari Receives Ban Ki-Moon, UN Secretary General (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.