Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,359 members, 7,812,015 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees (18094 Views)

Sanwo-Olu Declares Free BRT Rides, Toll On Christmas, New Year Days / Wike Declares Free Primary, Secondary Education In Rivers / Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 21, 2019
There's no value in free

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Onliie(m): 5:07pm On Sep 21, 2019
Don't start what you can't finish. Most governors in name of free education leave schools to rot when they see it's not an easy task. Most of these schools will be lacking in basic needs. All because of political points.

Some governors will, because they find it difficult to sustain free education, start owing workers, salaries.

Education is free already even with the payment of 3700. In my school total students payment added together is about 700k. Total staff salaries is almost 4million. Tell me how education is not free.

4 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by GavelSlam: 5:07pm On Sep 21, 2019
Omoluabi9:
STUPIDITY.

People don't usually value what they don't pay for.

Even Salvation is not "free" (you'll have to believe with your heart, and purchase it with the words of your mouth.)

Education should be affordable, even cheap BUT NOT FREE!

But it is free in UK and many European countries.

Maybe they don't know what they are doing over there.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by MikeTyson(m): 5:10pm On Sep 21, 2019
astute28:
Mtcheew copy cat kudos seyi makinde

??

I was tempted to copy you but I resisted the urge.
Please, be guided on what you post, especially on front-page topics.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:11pm On Sep 21, 2019
GavelSlam:

Sir, it's relative. They're paying for it one way or another.
Besides, with our "free education", what can be said of the quality and standard? undecided
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Citytrend: 5:12pm On Sep 21, 2019
Blue3k2:
If you're already collecting so much money in taxes why would the state need a levy? The state and local governments should be able to fund it with taxes they get.

Btw how many of you send your own kid to public school?
My Brother you just took question from my mouth

Anyway, l will Build a Professional Logo for your Product or Company For 2k Only. Offer valid today only. See my info below to Chat me up on WhatsApp
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Jalabase(m): 5:13pm On Sep 21, 2019
All makinde
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Jalabase(m): 5:13pm On Sep 21, 2019
*Football Fan Blows His Hand Off Trying To Light Fireworks (VIDEO)*

Here is the shocking moment a football fan blew his hand off when lighting a flare in Brazil.

The Athletico Paranaense supporter was among a number of hardcore fans at the airport to wave the Curitiba side off before they took on Internacional in the Copa do Brazil final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-90b9yCQJfg
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by ofiko123(m): 5:14pm On Sep 21, 2019
Nice one....this is good news for the good people of Ogun state..
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by SarahOgwu: 5:14pm On Sep 21, 2019
Jalabase:
All makinde
smh, for what gain though
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by soledayo(m): 5:14pm On Sep 21, 2019
Okoroawusa:
The era of free education is gone. No developed country offers free education to its citizens

U are liar. USA and Canada where I havr lived and still living is giving free education to Grade 12(SS3) wt free food in d USA

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by SarahOgwu: 5:15pm On Sep 21, 2019
Jalabase:
All makinde
Abu, inspired by makinde
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Chijeep(m): 5:15pm On Sep 21, 2019
grin

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by olowo1995(m): 5:15pm On Sep 21, 2019
Why will they complain paying such amount of money when private sch is paying huge sum of money, everything should not be free nw....
Well nt surprise wen our government is feeding some student.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by valentineuwakwe(m): 5:15pm On Sep 21, 2019
Let other state follow suite and cancel any form of levy in our public primary and secondary schools...Every Nigerian child deserve free qualitative education, afterall education is not a privileged, its a right!
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by hargbolahan01: 5:15pm On Sep 21, 2019
Omoluabi9:
STUPIDITY.

People don't usually value what they don't pay for.

Even Salvation is not "free" (you'll have to believe with your heart, and purchase it with the words of your mouth.)

the likes of adenuga enjoyed free education from Ibadan grammar sch,makinde enjoyed same from Bishop Phillips grammar sch ,ajimobi enjoyed same from lagelu grammar sch,tinubu,amosun and others enjoyed free education and you won't tell me they didn't value it cuz its free

just because its free doesn't mean people won't value but to ease burden on parents because of economic hardship

when ajimobi introduced in oyo it during recession...over 300k students dropped out of secondary school and oyo had 400k out of school children...this is just the immediate effect and those uneducated children can become criminal tomorrow and will now start fight another Boko Haram is south west...I hope we will both learn from North case
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 21, 2019
No, bad decision.

The budget of most states cannot adequately fund education. So unless he has a plan to raise taxes, he is going to end up with badly funded schools.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Truthbites: 5:20pm On Sep 21, 2019
Very good..long time I heard a good thing from this chithole
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by SniperSmurf(m): 5:21pm On Sep 21, 2019
Okoroawusa:
The era of free education is gone. No developed country offers free education to its citizens

Education is free in many developed countries at primary, secondary and tertiary level.
Google is your friend, use it.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:22pm On Sep 21, 2019
GavelSlam:

And in many European countries and the UK , the tax rate is about 50%..ie half your salary.

Would you want Buhari to take half your salary in taxes, in return for free education, the way they do it in Denmark for example? Would you?
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 21, 2019
SniperSmurf:

Education is free in many developed countries at primary, secondary and tertiary level.
Google is your friend, use it.

In Denmark , educaiton is free up to university level at the cost of half everyone's salary in taxes.

Shebi you want that for Nigeria, eh?

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 21, 2019
hargbolahan01:
the likes of adenuga enjoyed free education from Ibadan grammar sch,makinde enjoyed same from Bishop Phillips grammar sch ,ajimobi enjoyed same from lagelu grammar sch,tinubu,amosun and others enjoyed free education and you won't tell me they didn't value it cuz its free

And the time they went to school in the 1960's and 70's the percentage of kids in school of the population was less than it is now...plus schools were stricter. Not everyone went to secondary school, and even fewer went to University.

My dad's university had less than 5000 students when he was there in 1972. Today it has over 70000 students.

Oil prices is at 70 dollars. We need it at 140 dollars to earn enough money. Shey you have the money to fund free educaiton eh??

Education is not free. Either you people pay higher taxes...or you enjoy your free educaiton in badly equipped schools, and poorly paid teachers.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by eedriyz(m): 5:28pm On Sep 21, 2019
Omoluabi9:

'Affordable' has a different meaning to everyone. The N3,500 per term is a lot for some families. I went to public primary and secondary schools so i can relate.

Public pimary and secondary school education should be 100% FREE in Nigeria.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Blue3k2: 5:29pm On Sep 21, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

And in many European countries and the UK , the tax rate is about 50%..ie half your salary.

Would you want Buhari to take half your salary in taxes, in return for free education, the way they do it in Denmark for example? Would you?

You're making straw man argument. They don't use 50% taxes to fund education. It mainly goes to welfare state for services like health care, medicine and other services.
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by odinceblog(m): 5:30pm On Sep 21, 2019
Onyeka Onwenu: I was Abused in Government For Being an Igbo woman

https://odinceblog.com/onyeka-onwenu-i-was-abused-in-government-for-being-an-igbo-woman/
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Gideoniteprime4: 5:30pm On Sep 21, 2019
This is golden!
I pray the locals utilize this opportunity
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by seunny4lif(m): 5:31pm On Sep 21, 2019
Almost all EU countries offer free education from Pre-school to first degree
Even Russia offers free education for her citizens
Okoroawusa:
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 21, 2019
Okoroawusa:

Yes they do up to secondary school along with weekly payments if your parents salary is not up to a threshold.

The public schools are excellent and well funded.

When you get to the university, you can access bursaries and grants which you don't have to pay back.

Like I said pigs don't realise they live in filth
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 21, 2019
Blue3k2:

You're making straw man argument. They don't use 50% taxes to fund education. It mainly goes to welfare state for services like health care, medicine and other services.

No I am not.

You Nigerians think your country is as rich as the West. It isn't. We are a poor resource dependent, poorly led country. And yet, we somehow expect free education without thinking about how much it would cost.....

We have free education all over Nigeria...cheap educaiton. And at the end of the day, the schools from primary to tertiary are all badly equipped. Because we want free stuff ....while living on very low oil prices.

Look....I really want educaiton to be free. If it was up to me.....I would have free educaiton. God knows I know most of my countrymen are suffering. B

But we cannot pretend we have the money to fund it.

They pay heavy taxes in Europe for the purpose onf welfare, amenities, public transport etc...here in Nigeria we all rely on Niger Delta oil. The oil that we produce less than the United Arab emirates for a population of 150million and above (UAE has 11million people)...and you expect free educaiton from that??

Either we raise taxes, or we cut subsides on fuel, or we agressively become an industrial nation , and everyone pays taxes at the rate of 40-50% annually, then we can talk of free educaiton.

You cannot get N200000 worth for just N200.

I went to university at N2000 per sememster. My hostel was a mess. My labs were poorly equipped. Libraries did not have enough books. Meanwhile, the private schools are catching up and will soon surpass the free public schools. And when it is time for employment...guess who gets the jobs. The well trained private school grads...or the poorly trained public school free education products .

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by seunny4lif(m): 5:40pm On Sep 21, 2019
Where did you get that fake news from?
Almost all EU offers free education or cheap education for her citizens while Non EU pay heavy.
Taxes depends on your income and also depends on your current status, if you are married or single or single parent and it’s goes to social welfare, healthcare and education etc
Single person pays around 40%
Married person with kids pays around 20% or nothing depending on your income
Single parents sometimes don’t pay taxes
PoliticalWitch:

In Denmark , educaiton is free up to university level at the cost of half everyone's salary in taxes.

Shebi you want that for Nigeria, eh?
Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 21, 2019
seunny4lif:
Almost all EU countries offer free education from Pre-school to first degree
Even Russia offers free education for her citizens

Comapre Russia's GDP with Nigeria's GDP....and you will see why they have free education.

Russia is an industrial nation with oil. They export gas, oil, and a host of industrial products. Of course they have money for educaiton.

Nigeria relies on oil (APC is doing nowt about diversificaiton). And the amount of oil we produce is less than the UAE .....who have 11 million people...which is why they can afford all those nice things...while we at 150million can't.

Either we pay high taxes...or we cut subsides to affrod free educaiton.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees by Nobody: 5:42pm On Sep 21, 2019
seunny4lif:
Where did you get that fake news from?
Almost all EU offers free education or cheap education for her citizens while Non EU pay heavy.
Taxes depends on your income and also depends on your current status, if you are married or single or single parent and it’s goes to social welfare, healthcare and education etc
Single person pays around 40%
Married person with kids pays around 20% or nothing depending on your income
Single parents sometimes don’t pay taxes

An average EU country's GDP is far higher than Nigeria's GDP.

Spain spends over 110 billion dolalrs on health. Nigeria spends 10billion dollars or less on the same health. As an example.

Let's face facts. We are not rich. Until we become an industrial nation....we are not rich.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ken Nnamani Declares Intention To Run For President Under APC / I Will Hold Peter Obi Accountable to Nigerians - Aisha Yesufu / Abia Governorship: They Tried Using Juju To Stop Me - Prof. Gregory Ibe Alleges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.