Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,461 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

Who Was The First Pope? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Was The First Pope? (2367 Views)

If Peter Was The First Pope.......................? / Was Saint Peter The First Pope? / Peter Was The First Pope Of The Catholic Church And They Don't Collect Tithes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Was The First Pope? by hasyak(m): 4:18pm On Nov 01, 2010
i will appreciate if i can be brief on who was the first pope?
Re: Who Was The First Pope? by Yorisb: 4:27pm On Nov 01, 2010
Dude this is 2010 - A simple google search would have helped. , undecided
Re: Who Was The First Pope? by hasyak(m): 4:59pm On Nov 01, 2010
Yorisb:

Dude this is 2010 - A simple google search would have helped. , undecided

i thot so too, but when i did that i got more confuse, thot some1 out here can help
Re: Who Was The First Pope? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 01, 2010
Re: Who Was The First Pope? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 01, 2010
Cyprian of Carthage in 251 C.E.:
"And although to all the apostles, after His resurrection, He gives an equal power, and says, “As the Father hath sent me, , , they shall be retained;” (John 20:21-22) yet, He founded a single Chair. That He might set forth unity, He established by His authority the origin of that unity, as having its origin in one man alone. No doubt the others were all that Peter was, but a primacy is given to Peter, and it is thus made clear that there is but one Church and one Chair. So too, even if they are all shepherds, we are shown but one flock which is to be fed by all the apostles in common accord. If a man does not hold fast to this oneness of Peter, does he imagine that he still holds the faith? If he deserts the Chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, has he confidence that he is in the Church?" (The Unity of the Catholic Church 4) http://www.romancatholicism.org/jansenis

Eusebius of Caesarea in 312 C.E.:
"As to the rest of his followers, Paul testifies that Crescens was sent to Gaul; but Linus, whom he mentions in the Second Epistle to Timothyas his companion at Rome, was Peter’s successor in the episcopate of the church there, as has already been shown. Clement also, who was appointed third bishop of the church at Rome, was, as Paul testifies, his co-laborer and fellow-soldier." (Church History 3:4:9–10). http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf201.

Irenaeus in 189 C.E.:
"The very ancient, and universally known Church founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul; , The blessed apostles, then, having founded and built up the Church, committed into the hands of Linus the office of the episcopate." (Against Heresies 3:3:2-3) http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.ix
Re: Who Was The First Pope? by e36991: 9:11pm On Nov 01, 2010
hasyak:

chukwudi44:

"And although to all the apostles, after His resurrection, He gives an equal power, and says, “As the Father hath sent me, , , they shall be retained;” (John 20:21-22) yet, He founded a single Chair. That He might set forth unity, He established by His authority the origin of that unity, as having its origin in one man alone. No doubt the others were all that Peter was, but a primacy is given to Peter, and it is thus made clear that there is but one Church and one Chair. So too, even if they are all shepherds, we are shown but one flock which is to be fed by all the apostles in common accord. If a man does not hold fast to this oneness of Peter, does he imagine that he still holds the faith? If he deserts the Chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, has he confidence that he is in the Church?" (The Unity of the Catholic Church 4)
http://www.romancatholicism.org/jansenis

"As to the rest of his followers, Paul testifies that Crescens was sent to Gaul; but Linus, whom he mentions in the Second Epistle to Timothyas his companion at Rome, was Peter’s successor in the episcopate of the church there, as has already been shown. Clement also, who was appointed third bishop of the church at Rome, was, as Paul testifies, his co-laborer and fellow-soldier." (Church History 3:4:9–10).
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf201.

Irenaeus in 189 C.E.:
"The very ancient, and universally known Church founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul; ,  The blessed apostles, then, having founded and built up the Church, committed into the hands of Linus the office of the episcopate." (Against Heresies 3:3:2-3)
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.ix

@^^^

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESUn4o9Utgk?fs=1&hl=en_GB[/flash]
Re: Who Was The First Pope? by chyz1: 11:10pm On Nov 01, 2010
hasyak:

Just some knowledge I'm giving that people may not have known. The were three popes who were African/of African descent:

Victor I (189-199 AD) was said to have been the first African pope (15th overall) and served under another African, Emperor Septimus of Rome (Burrell). During his reign he disputed over many significant religious practices. One of which was the date of Easter. In Rome, Easter was always observed on Sunday, but the Asiatic churches observed Easter on the fourteenth day after the vernal equinox, regardless of the day of the week (John 53).This caused a commotion between people celebrating Easter and fasting for Lent. So, St. Victor ordered all churches to celebrate Easter on the Sunday following the fourteenth day of the vernal equinox (Holtzclaw 166). In doing so, Victor suppressed any further outrage towards the church and was able to compromise with both parties.

The second African pope is Miltiades (311-314 AD, 37th overall) who was also born in Africa (birthplace unknown). Before Miltiades was elected pope there was an outcry to banish the Bishops of Rome (Holtzclaw 113). Governor Maxentius elected Miltiades (a priest in Africa at the time) to stop this and Constantine's wife later let him stay in the Lateran Palace in Rome, becoming the first Pope to have an official residence (Holtzclaw 113). He is also known for having been granted the permission to build the Lateran Basilica (by Constantine) which would become the residency for every Pope for over one thousand years (John 60).

The final Pope was Gelasius I (492-496 AD, 49th overall) and he was born in Rome of African parents (Holtzclaw 73). One of the most influential tasks Gelasius accomplished was something that could not be comprehended during modern times: the separation of Church and State. In a letter to Emperor Anastasius he wrote, "You must know that the authority of Popes is much greater inasmuch as on the Judgment Day they will have to render to God an account for the souls of kings" (Holtzclaw 74). He was said to be one of the fairest Popes of his time. He divided the revenues of the Church into fourths; one of those fourths went to the poor. All of these Popes accomplished many noble tasks during their papacy. However, this seems to be overlooked because of their ethnic backgrounds.

[b]All of the popes were from Africa and bore Latin names, which was common at the time. The Romans and Greeks both characterized Africans by combinations of "dark or black skin, woolly or tightly coiled hair, flat or broad noses, and thick lips" (Snowden 113). So even though some of the paintings did not have all of these characteristics, they only needed one to be characterized as African. The first century Roman poet, Marcus Manilius classified all peoples of Africa from darkest to lightest (Snowden 113).White was not one of the classifications on the list. Also, southern Indians of Africa can be very dark skinned and not have flat noses or woolly hair (Snowden 114). It can be "based on the sure knowledge that the majority of the people of Roman Africa were black" (Holtzclaw preface). With all of this evidence, it is hard to argue against the fact that these popes were black Africans. This now opens the door for the history to be revised. The "reviewers need to be reviewed," for it is not safe to assume anything about history. There are no primary sources in existence and the secondary sources are tainted with a historical and racial bias. With this new knowledge, it furthers Martin Bernal's argument that Africans had much more of an influence on Greek and Roman culture then is currently believed under the Aryan model.[/b]
Re: Who Was The First Pope? by hasyak(m): 6:01pm On Nov 02, 2010
chukwudi44:

"And although to all the apostles, after His resurrection, He gives an equal power, and says, “As the Father hath sent me, , , they shall be retained;” (John 20:21-22) yet, He founded a single Chair. That He might set forth unity, He established by His authority the origin of that unity, as having its origin in one man alone. No doubt the others were all that Peter was, but a primacy is given to Peter, and it is thus made clear that there is but one Church and one Chair. So too, even if they are all shepherds, we are shown but one flock which is to be fed by all the apostles in common accord. If a man does not hold fast to this oneness of Peter, does he imagine that he still holds the faith? If he deserts the Chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, has he confidence that he is in the Church?" (The Unity of the Catholic Church 4) http://www.romancatholicism.org/jansenis

"As to the rest of his followers, Paul testifies that Crescens was sent to Gaul; but Linus, whom he mentions in the Second Epistle to Timothyas his companion at Rome, was Peter’s successor in the episcopate of the church there, as has already been shown. Clement also, who was appointed third bishop of the church at Rome, was, as Paul testifies, his co-laborer and fellow-soldier." (Church History 3:4:9–10). http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf201.

Irenaeus in 189 C.E.:
"The very ancient, and universally known Church founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul; , The blessed apostles, then, having founded and built up the Church, committed into the hands of Linus the office of the episcopate." (Against Heresies 3:3:2-3) http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.ix

thanks for the info,

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESUn4o9Utgk&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESUn4o9Utgk&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

but the video by chyz1 contradicts your posting
Re: Who Was The First Pope? by TheClown: 8:00am On Nov 04, 2010
Make your deductions my friend, some people's Christian virtues require them to deny facts and to disbelieve obvious truths. You have a choice, use your head and be sincere about it, you will get the truth.

First pope has nothing to do with your xtain life anyway.
Re: Who Was The First Pope? by hasyak(m): 12:01pm On Nov 05, 2010
The Clown:

Make your deductions my friend, some people's Christian virtues require them to deny facts and to disbelieve obvious truths. You have a choice, use your head and be sincere about it, you will get the truth.

First pope has nothing to do with your xtain life anyway.

did i say it has anything do to with my life? if my head cant understand is it wrong to ask! i just want to know cos its confusing. if you know pls just let me know

(1) (Reply)

Project Serpo: The Zeta Reticuli Exchange 1 / SHOCKER!!!! We Heard Prophet Ajanaku Voice- Neighbours!!! / How Did Isaac Reap A Hundred Fold In Famine?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.