Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,762 members, 7,817,105 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) (39406 Views)

Nurse Steals Money From Dying COVID-19 Patient In US / 14-year-old Girl Raped By HIV Patient In Hospital In Port Harcourt (photos) / Sierra Leone Nurse Jailed For 15 Years For Raping Patient In A London Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by GistmoreNG: 7:07pm On Sep 24, 2019
A 7-year-old girl and a stroke patient have been confirmed dead in an inferno that started from a cooking gas explosion, today, in #Mushin, Lagos.

The fire, which started when the girl was trying to light up a gas cooker, razed two buildings on Ogunmokun Street.

Watch the shocking video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycs0ZniHumk

http://gistmore.com/gas-cooker-explosion-kills-girl-stroke-patient-in-lagos

1 Like

Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by GistmoreNG: 7:07pm On Sep 24, 2019

Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by ForeThinker: 10:56am On Sep 25, 2019
shocked shocked

8 Likes

Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by BubuZombi: 10:56am On Sep 25, 2019
RIP to the death

Firewood Kitchen on my mind

13 Likes

Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by professorMD1: 10:57am On Sep 25, 2019
Gas cylinders have expiry dates and safety precautions. Do not use it because u c others use it.... smiley

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by xynerise: 10:57am On Sep 25, 2019
Gas is not for everybody
Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by opgfdxzvc: 10:57am On Sep 25, 2019
maybe she dey play music
Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by doziefrank07(m): 10:58am On Sep 25, 2019
na so so bad news I dey see today....na way ooo
Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by mrZENographer: 10:58am On Sep 25, 2019
Teach your children to use gas and it's dangers.

* Don't leave gas on while trying to lit a matches. It's dangerous.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by wiseone28: 10:58am On Sep 25, 2019
This life

Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by SenecaTheYonger: 11:00am On Sep 25, 2019
What caused the fire? I can see that the house was already on fire before that first explosion.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by PureFace1(m): 11:00am On Sep 25, 2019
The Federal Government has recently commenced a clampdown on illegal roadside dealers of cooking gas, originally known as Liquefied Petroleum Gas, LPG in Lagos and Abuja.

The government had in May, said it has commenced a policy to remove ownership of Liquefied Petroleum Gas cylinders from consumers, while dealers would be barred from refilling gas cylinders by the roadside and other unauthorized places.

The policy, the government said, would require that the ownership of the cylinders rests solely with the dealers and distributors.

Officers of the Department of Petroleum Resources, DPR, in conjunction with the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, flagged off the enforcement in Abuja and environs, with the operations aimed at curbing the illegal activities of LPG retailers and skid operators, and five illegal operators were arrested.

READ ALSO: Saraki, Akpabio, Keyamo, 40 others make Buhari’s ministerial list

Visiting Galadimawa, Lokogoma axis and other suburbs within the city, where the team clamped down on illegal operators found dispensing gas in very dangerous circumstances without the necessary safety precautions.

Head of Gas of the DPR, Engr. Umar Gwandu said most of the illegal outlets lacked basic and standard minimum requirements like fire extinguishers and detectors, water sprinkler, temperature gauge, pressure and volume gauge among others.

Speaking at one of the illegal outlets in Galadimawa, Gwandu said, “This place can easily explode if there is any spark. Even with a very tiny leakage, once there is a spark, this place is gone. We have come here several times as you can see from our seal. These people are not ready to comply. If there is any spark here this place can go up in flames in seconds.”

Some of the measures shared by the Department of Petroleum Resources include:

Replace instead of repairing a faulty cylinder. It is unsafe to repair a faulty gas cylinder.

Buy your gas cylinders from certified LPG plant.

Exchange of empty gas cylinders with a full one is best practice instead of refiling from another cylinder

If you are buying LPG cylinder, look for Nigerian Industrial Standard number on the body of the cylinder.

Gas cylinders are to be kept outside or in an open and well-ventilated area.

Other safety tips to keep in mind include,

6. Keep empty cylinders away from full ones, says SafetyandHealth magazine

7. The Liquefied Petroleum Gas Safety Association of Southern Africa advises that you test any gas appliance for possible leaks by spraying a soap-water solution on all connections. Leaks will show in the form of bubbles and must be repaired immediately

8. Do not use aerosols or flammable, cleaning liquids or sprays close to the heater

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by Just2endowed2(m): 11:01am On Sep 25, 2019
na waoh
Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by doziefrank07(m): 11:02am On Sep 25, 2019
na so so bad news I dey see today....na wah ooo
Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by Pancs(m): 11:02am On Sep 25, 2019
So sad, beginning to fear gas.
May God protect us

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by formidablefunmi(f): 11:02am On Sep 25, 2019
Huh?Gas again?let me go and dry my firewood.
Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by ctleurocollege: 11:02am On Sep 25, 2019
A stroke victim and 7 yr old should not be using gas without supervision

Contact me if you want to study in Cyprus

8 Likes

Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 25, 2019
RIP. The girl might have turned the gas cylinder on while searching for matches. Parents, if your child should cook with gas, always teach tell them not to turn it on while they search for matches. The moment you turn the switch, the gas begins to leak. And if enough leaks out, any contact with fire could lead to a kaboom!

PS: Or could this be the reason why Ex-Minister of State for Petroleum, Ibe Kachikwu wanted to replace all existing gas cylinders with government-issued ones? The explosions are becoming too much! Maybe Kachikwu should be hired as a consultant to see the project through.

3 Safety Practices That Can Stop Android Phones From Exploding With Bomb Force

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by Just2endowed2(m): 11:04am On Sep 25, 2019
SenecaTheYonger:
What caused the fire? I can see that the house was already on fire before that first explosion.

it must be from a stored gas
Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by orunmila144: 11:05am On Sep 25, 2019
stroke and fire ? that dude has offended the gods

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by Kendumazy(m): 11:05am On Sep 25, 2019
Mheen
Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by richmind2019(m): 11:05am On Sep 25, 2019
madgoat:
grin grin grin
You are the craziest person I've ever imagined on nairaland...
May God deliver you from ur generational curse and impunity..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gas Cooker Explosion Kills Girl, Stroke Patient In Lagos (Photos) by slawomir: 11:05am On Sep 25, 2019
Almor333:
I too fear gas

Bros nor be lie

Me ehnnn. I now even sabi cook self not to talk of coming close to a gas

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos-Based Lady And Her Boyfriend Send Fake Bank Credit Alert (Video) / 18-Year-Old Armed Robber With A Dummy Gun Arrested In Delta (Photos) / Soldier Damages Ogun Couple's Car For Cautioning Him Over Reckless Driving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.