Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,623 members, 7,820,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency (28694 Views)

Laolu Akande: Tinubu Must Articulate Clear Foreign Policy To Back UNGA speech / The Psychology Of Anti Tinubu Hysteria / Re: Re: Why Online Hysteria Against Buharis UNGA Speech Is Absolutely Necessary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by References: 12:50am On Sep 26, 2019
The Presidency has said the online hysteria over President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech at the 74th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA74) is unnecessary.

The Nigerian President, asked during an interactive session at the New York event to talk about his plans for the future of Nigeria’s young population, responded to the question with a prepared speech about Climate Change.

Explaining the context of the seemingly incongruous speech, the Presidency, in a statement signed by the President’s Media Office, said that Buhari had been participating alongside other world leaders in the United Nations Climate Action Summit.

The statement reads:

“On Monday September 23, 2019, President Muhammadu Buhari participated alongside other world leaders at the United Nations Climate Action Summit 2019.

“Since then, we have seen conversations on Twitter doing what Twitter allows many people to spend a lot of their time on: getting things horribly wrong and/or focusing on the wrong things, while completely missing the real/meaningful/actual message.

“And so, this is a backgrounder/explainer, focusing on Nigeria’s commitment to climate action, under the Buhari Administration.

“The Climate Action Summit was convened by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, to provide an opportunity for world leaders to, ‘come to New York on 23 September with concrete, realistic plans to enhance their nationally determined contributions by 2020, in line with reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 45 per cent over the next decade, and to net zero emissions by 2050.’

“The theme of President Buhari’s panel was, ‘Towards a Resilient Future’ — with the rider: ‘Announcement of plans to mainstream climate risk in decision making’.

“So, note that the goal of the panel was to elicit ‘announcements’ from the panelists on behalf of their respective countries: Fiji, Nigeria, Netherlands, the Bank of England, etc. In other words, panelists were billed to deliver remarks announcing their country/organisation plans to build a resilient, climate-sensitive future.

“To address the theme of the event, President Buhari chose to deliver prepared remarks.

“And the moderator’s question, was, in keeping with the theme: ‘President Buhari, Nigeria has a very young population; perhaps you might highlight what a pathway for a resilient future looks like?’

“The President did exactly that, in his prepared remarks, over the next few minutes, highlighting what a ‘resilient future’ will look like in Nigeria — by focusing on the administration’s policies (the ones already being implemented, like the Green Bonds, and the ones set for implementation, like the new tree-planting campaign, and the energy mix target).

“His prepared remarks were wholly in alignment with the theme of the Panel event, and the question he was asked.

“Keep in mind that as panels often work, the moderator’s question was meant to invite/usher him to take the stage, and share his remarks. As a panelist it was up to him to choose to respond ex tempore, or to go the ‘prepared remarks way.’

“He chose the prepared remarks way. And most importantly, he touched on the issues re: mainstreaming climate action for the future and for the young people of Nigeria.

“The only story here, for all serious minded people, is what he said, and what it means for the future and for the young people of Nigeria. His remarks read in parts:

“’I share the sentiment expressed by the Secretary-General that the world is on the verge of climate catastrophe. Undeniably, Climate Change is a human-induced phenomenon.

“’In the water sector, Nigeria will issue a Green Bond for irrigation and construct multi-purpose dams for power, irrigation and water supply. We will strengthen solid and liquid waste management systems to attract more private sector investors.

“’We will mobilize Nigerian youths towards planting 25 million trees to enhance Nigeria’s carbon sink.

“’Specifically, Nigeria is progressively working to realize 30 percent energy efficiency and renewable energy mix by 2030.

“’Furthermore, the Federal Government has commenced the implementation of the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Programme in Ogoniland, to recover the carbon sink potential of the mangrove ecosystem of the one thousand square kilometers (1,000 KM2) polluted site in the affected area.

“’Finally, permit me to add that the forty million citizens in the Lake Chad area expect this Summit to take into consideration their concerns. They anticipate that the outcomes of this meeting would include solutions to address the Climate Change impact in the Lake Chad area.'”

“We believe that the important things for young people of Nigeria to do now should be around holding the government to account on these ‘announcement’ and promises, and ensuring they are fulfilled and delivered in a timely manner.

“One of the most exciting should be the tree-planting campaign. Ethiopia recently set a world record on that account — perhaps Nigeria’s young people might even be able to pressure the Government into scaling up the ambitions of our own planned tree-planting campaign.

“Therefore the online hysteria is completely unnecessary,” the statement concluded.
https://www.sunnewsonline.com/online-hysteria-over-video-of-buharis-unga-speech-unnecessary-says-presidency/

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by References: 12:51am On Sep 26, 2019

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by Nobody: 1:26am On Sep 26, 2019
Damn this people are below low.

267 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by Temptee101(m): 1:28am On Sep 26, 2019
Who the fvcck is this presidency and why am i not surprised at their usual and weak defence to the excesses and inadequacies of this useless govt?

Imagine the old dullard promising to reverse climate change by leading a gang of zombies to plant 25 million trees, who does that if not a born-fool

As usual the dullard's handlers have once again sent him overseas to embarrass the country and one wonders why every sensible leader has to stand up and leave when the incompetent one mounted the podium

228 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by BiafranBushBoy: 1:29am On Sep 26, 2019
lol

Whoever explained this article is as dumb as the man who answered nonsense at UNGA.

Let me show you what he did.

He was asked What is your name?

The Old Man responded "My father was 20 years when he met my mum, and they met at the stream. So they visited my maternal home to pay bride price. After the wedding, they had sex, then my father said he gave birth to a boy named Buhari. I have 3 sisters, but I don't know their names, maybe when I get home, I will ask them. I don't care about Nigerian Youths because they prefer BB9ja instead of calling my name and promotng Ruga... bla bla bla...

The Question was "What is your name?

"The pathway to a resilient future considering that Nigeria has a huge amount of young population"

We were supposed to be the focus of discussion, not LAKE CHAD or RUGA!!!!

I hate Nigeria like madt!!! Damn it!!!

360 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by GEOANDSONS: 1:29am On Sep 26, 2019
They prefer to send Osinbajo for Burial affairs

Meanwhile, Quality and Affordable Home and Office furnitures available.

Link in picture and Signature.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by tizzdi(m): 1:29am On Sep 26, 2019
angry this is actually my problem with this people even when it is morning they will still argue and tell u it is nighttime...lol i dont blame them sha they think everyone is as gullible and mentally retarded like their commander-in - stupidity grin angry

209 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by soberdrunk(m): 1:29am On Sep 26, 2019
I keep saying it that the biggest problem we have in Nigeria is not knowing our problem, what is even our business with "climate change", it is the least of our problems presently angry angry

148 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by Donpeak(f): 1:29am On Sep 26, 2019
Defending the obvious... No need

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by FactBoyz: 1:30am On Sep 26, 2019
grin

Can someone tell me why people stood in the line under hot sun to vote for this man? I just don't get it

145 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by Blacknote: 1:30am On Sep 26, 2019
Mods no dey sleep for NL, it's almost 2a.m and you still dey push thread come fp, wehdone oo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by Finnese001: 1:30am On Sep 26, 2019
cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by Nobody: 1:30am On Sep 26, 2019
Some people have not watched the video; some have no clue about what the Summit is about; some don't even know what climate change is and how it affects us locally, nationally and globally.

But as far as it's trending, some will still insult the president.

Nigerians ehn...we are very funny people ���

37 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by stewatt(m): 1:32am On Sep 26, 2019
Nigeria President and the cabals that defended his incompetence are so stupid and useless just like Nigerians who refuse to let their grievances known by destroying things in mass.. I doubt if its Buhari himself.. Perhaps its one jubril from else where.. Once is head is faulty so is the body. Bleep Nigeria and her ached head.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by BonPatrick(m): 1:33am On Sep 26, 2019
Useless man

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by courage89(m): 1:34am On Sep 26, 2019
Interesting

1 Like

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by noblealuu: 1:34am On Sep 26, 2019
That doesn't rule out his incompetence. He's a square peg in a round hole. shocked

Hi ladies, check my signature for your natural hair products... you'll sure thank me later.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by GoodandBad007: 1:38am On Sep 26, 2019
The word WORST de learn for where this administration de.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by doublefreez(m): 1:39am On Sep 26, 2019
Na everything dem dey fight over? Just accept some fault sometimes. I await Lai Mohammed's response.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by SendAbroad: 1:40am On Sep 26, 2019
President Buhari's speech... anywhere Belle face na front. .He was just reading whatever was in the paper without any thought to the question he was asked. grin grin grin undecided

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by GoodandBad007: 1:40am On Sep 26, 2019
taiwoawoniyi:
Some people have not watched the video; some have no clue about what the Summit is about; some don't even know what climate change is and how it affects us locally, nationally and globally.

But as far as it's trending, some will still insult the president.

Nigerians ehn...we are very funny people ���

But at least they heard the question and the answer and can tell they don't relate.

101 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by tbaba1234: 1:40am On Sep 26, 2019
The president actually addressed the question (perhaps unsatisfactorily but he did address it) unfortunately we are people who have a proclivity to mob action. As long as it is trending and they are abusing him, let us join the train.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by GoodandBad007: 1:42am On Sep 26, 2019
tbaba1234:
The president actually addressed the question (perhaps unsatisfactorily but he did address it) unfortunately we are people who have a proclivity to mob action. As long as it is trending and they are abusing him, let us join the train.

How on planet earth did he answer the question?
Is 5hat the answer you would have given to that question yourself?

101 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by Nobody: 1:42am On Sep 26, 2019
This is very embarrassing, couldn't even watch half of it, it will not be well with those supporting this man to rule us

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by midnighter(f): 1:43am On Sep 26, 2019
Blacknote:
Mods no dey sleep for NL, it's almost 2a.m and you still dey push thread come fp, wehdone oo

probably being leaned on by FG so that people will stop insulting the president...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by berbs: 1:44am On Sep 26, 2019
He should have given a short and precise reply instead of the disjointed prepared speech. I'm sorry sorry for Nigeria oooo, sorry sorry oooo angry sad angry angry

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by omoadeleye(m): 1:45am On Sep 26, 2019
They will kuku tell us that the video was doctored next time,

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by OmoOshodi(m): 1:45am On Sep 26, 2019
Nigeria is in big trouble

27 Likes

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by duncun: 1:47am On Sep 26, 2019

43 Likes

Re: Online Hysteria Over Video Of Buhari’s UNGA Speech Unnecessary – Presidency by Nwaohafia1: 1:49am On Sep 26, 2019
References:
The Presidency has said the online hysteria over President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech at the 74th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA74) is unnecessary.

The Nigerian President, asked during an interactive session at the New York event to talk about his plans for the future of Nigeria’s young population, responded to the question with a prepared speech about Climate Change.

Explaining the context of the seemingly incongruous speech, the Presidency, in a statement signed by the President’s Media Office, said that Buhari had been participating alongside other world leaders in the United Nations Climate Action Summit.

The statement reads:

“On Monday September 23, 2019, President Muhammadu Buhari participated alongside other world leaders at the United Nations Climate Action Summit 2019.

“Since then, we have seen conversations on Twitter doing what Twitter allows many people to spend a lot of their time on: getting things horribly wrong and/or focusing on the wrong things, while completely missing the real/meaningful/actual message.

“And so, this is a backgrounder/explainer, focusing on Nigeria’s commitment to climate action, under the Buhari Administration.

“The Climate Action Summit was convened by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, to provide an opportunity for world leaders to, ‘come to New York on 23 September with concrete, realistic plans to enhance their nationally determined contributions by 2020, in line with reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 45 per cent over the next decade, and to net zero emissions by 2050.’

“The theme of President Buhari’s panel was, ‘Towards a Resilient Future’ — with the rider: ‘Announcement of plans to mainstream climate risk in decision making’.

“So, note that the goal of the panel was to elicit ‘announcements’ from the panelists on behalf of their respective countries: Fiji, Nigeria, Netherlands, the Bank of England, etc. In other words, panelists were billed to deliver remarks announcing their country/organisation plans to build a resilient, climate-sensitive future.

“To address the theme of the event, President Buhari chose to deliver prepared remarks.

“And the moderator’s question, was, in keeping with the theme: ‘President Buhari, Nigeria has a very young population; perhaps you might highlight what a pathway for a resilient future looks like?’

“The President did exactly that, in his prepared remarks, over the next few minutes, highlighting what a ‘resilient future’ will look like in Nigeria — by focusing on the administration’s policies (the ones already being implemented, like the Green Bonds, and the ones set for implementation, like the new tree-planting campaign, and the energy mix target).

“His prepared remarks were wholly in alignment with the theme of the Panel event, and the question he was asked.

“Keep in mind that as panels often work, the moderator’s question was meant to invite/usher him to take the stage, and share his remarks. As a panelist it was up to him to choose to respond ex tempore, or to go the ‘prepared remarks way.’

“He chose the prepared remarks way. And most importantly, he touched on the issues re: mainstreaming climate action for the future and for the young people of Nigeria.

“The only story here, for all serious minded people, is what he said, and what it means for the future and for the young people of Nigeria. His remarks read in parts:

“’I share the sentiment expressed by the Secretary-General that the world is on the verge of climate catastrophe. Undeniably, Climate Change is a human-induced phenomenon.

“’In the water sector, Nigeria will issue a Green Bond for irrigation and construct multi-purpose dams for power, irrigation and water supply. We will strengthen solid and liquid waste management systems to attract more private sector investors.

“’We will mobilize Nigerian youths towards planting 25 million trees to enhance Nigeria’s carbon sink.

“’Specifically, Nigeria is progressively working to realize 30 percent energy efficiency and renewable energy mix by 2030.

“’Furthermore, the Federal Government has commenced the implementation of the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Programme in Ogoniland, to recover the carbon sink potential of the mangrove ecosystem of the one thousand square kilometers (1,000 KM2) polluted site in the affected area.

“’Finally, permit me to add that the forty million citizens in the Lake Chad area expect this Summit to take into consideration their concerns. They anticipate that the outcomes of this meeting would include solutions to address the Climate Change impact in the Lake Chad area.'”

“We believe that the important things for young people of Nigeria to do now should be around holding the government to account on these ‘announcement’ and promises, and ensuring they are fulfilled and delivered in a timely manner.

“One of the most exciting should be the tree-planting campaign. Ethiopia recently set a world record on that account — perhaps Nigeria’s young people might even be able to pressure the Government into scaling up the ambitions of our own planned tree-planting campaign.

“Therefore the online hysteria is completely unnecessary,” the statement concluded.
https://www.sunnewsonline.com/online-hysteria-over-video-of-buharis-unga-speech-unnecessary-says-presidency/

You all should stop this damage control

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Tompolo Replies Danjuma, Accuses Him Of Ignoring Apc’s Tirades / Police Arrest Sule Lamido / Femi Fani-Kayode: We Must Never Rely On America To Defend Our Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.