Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,900 members, 7,814,045 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria (15764 Views)

Bournemouth Goalkeeper Dumps England For Nigeria / Tammy Abraham Makes Nigeria Wait As He's Urged To Snub England For Nigeria / Why I Left England For Nigeria – Alex Iwobi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by emjayyoungwiz12: 7:59am On Sep 26, 2019

The 23-year-old striker who plays in Greece for PAOK is eligible to for the Super Eagles as he holds dual-nationality and has not represented England at senior level.

In March 2017, ex-Arsenal youth player Akpom trained with the Nigeria senior side at Barnet alongside then Chelsea defender Ola Aina and now hopes to line up with his life-long friend Alex Iwobi for the West African country.

"I've only just recently switched my allegiance, so I've signed the documents and hopefully in the next few weeks it will be approved to enable me play for Nigeria," Akpom told BBC Sport.

"I've been wanting to do that for many years now but not many people know this. It's just been a matter of sorting it out, which is now in a process. I'm looking forward to it.

"It was a personal decision. I'm Nigerian and my whole family feel very Nigerian and it will be nice to represent Nigeria.

"It will also be nice to link up with Alex [Iwobi] again and play for the national team. We started playing when we was younger together and to make that step to play for the national team together will be amazing."

Read: How Nigeria Battles England for Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori.

London-born Akpom scored 18 goals in 41 youth caps for England from under-16 to under-21 level.

He joined Arsenal at the age of six and spent time on loan with Brentford, Coventry, Nottingham Forest, Hull and Brighton, but failed to break into the Gunners' first team.

A final loan spell at Belgian side Sint-Truiden resulted in six goals in 16 games and after six different clubs over five seasons.

The academy graduate managed just 12 appearances for his boyhood club before heading out to Greece on a permanent deal in August 2018.

He provided six goals and four assists as PAOK went unbeaten to seal the 2018/19 Greek title as well as the only goal in the FA Cup win against AEK Athens to complete a dream double

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49800012
:https://www.footynaija.com.ng/2019/09/i-want-to-play-where-i-am-loved-chuba.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by uchaymart(m): 8:12am On Sep 26, 2019
Alex Iwobi is a king with international experience.
Ola Aina " " " " "

Agbonlahor retired from international duty with no competitive match played.. Hahaha

Sammy Ameobi has not played a match for England.. Hahaha

Chuba Akpom and Tammy Abraham, just go and allow us to concentrate.. We are happy with our squad.

Oooh you now know there's no chance for you...

31 Likes

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 26, 2019
As if he had a choice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by Asowebdesign: 11:06am On Sep 26, 2019
Okay.... Good choice.
Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by PassingShot(m): 11:06am On Sep 26, 2019
uchaymart:
Ola Aina " " " " "

Agbonlahor retired from international duty with no competitive match played.. Hahaha

Chuba Akpom and Tammy Abraham, just go and allow us to concentrate.. We are happy with our squad.

What rubbish did you just type?

9 Likes

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by AK481(m): 11:06am On Sep 26, 2019
Just read his profile ...too average .

We don’t need you.

2 Likes

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by Solsix(m): 11:07am On Sep 26, 2019
Good decision bro, welcome on board

1 Like

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by Midas01: 11:07am On Sep 26, 2019
Nice
Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by unitysheart(m): 11:07am On Sep 26, 2019
listened to it live on brila fm.
Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by WristFashion(m): 11:07am On Sep 26, 2019
Nice one

Up next □ Fikayo Tomori ♡
Then watch how we'll tear Brazil to shreads wink

7 Likes

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by Badonasty(m): 11:07am On Sep 26, 2019

4 Likes

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by damosky12(m): 11:08am On Sep 26, 2019
uchaymart:
Ola Aina " " " " "

Try to read the news before commenting, sir. Chuba Akpom opted to play for the Super Eagles. He shouldn't be in the same table as Tammy.

It's the common sense thing to do. He'll stand the chance of doing well for himself with Nigeria than England. England is a little bit too structured like a football club.

Their national players dont seem to get the respects they deserve. They are used in good times and completely forgotten in hard times. You can't blame them for that though. They have an array of young stars constantly available to them per time.

8 Likes

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by Cocolatti(m): 11:08am On Sep 26, 2019
Over to you Tammy Abraham!!!
Don't allow your early season form to deceive you. England may only use you for some few friendly matches and dump you.
Your International future is more guaranteed with the Super Eagles

2 Likes

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by smartxyz(m): 11:08am On Sep 26, 2019
18goals in 41matches?... Mbanu !..na him be say if him begin play for 9ja now,e fit no go score reach 9goals in 87matches grin ... Next please

10 Likes

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:08am On Sep 26, 2019
Arsenal flop and a flop anywhere

1 Like

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by Midas01: 11:10am On Sep 26, 2019
Keep quiet. He's better than 90% of our players.
AK481:
Just read his profile ...too average .

We don’t need you.

1 Like

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by gurunlocker: 11:11am On Sep 26, 2019
By now, most of them should know that getting a chance in the English national team will be hard if you are not white. Even if you play, you might not get up to 20 caps before they forget you.

4 Likes

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by onadana: 11:11am On Sep 26, 2019
uchaymart:
Ola Aina " " " " "

They should go and play for England...yeye dey smell undecided

1 Like

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by oogbiko(m): 11:11am On Sep 26, 2019
very good... He should have done that a long time ago. There is non international career for him outside England. I would also advice Tammy to do the same, not now though, at the end of the season, when he must have established himself as a regular for Chelsea, if he does it now he will stop enjoying the privileges English players enjoy in epl, of which he is a current beneficiary

BTW I am everything Transformers, check my Bio

1 Like

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by TSRC: 11:13am On Sep 26, 2019
If Tammy and tomori like themselves, they better play for Nigeria.

They are not exceptional enough to command more than 5 competitive matches for England.

When iwobi and aina are at the world cup, they would be at home watching sky sports.

2 Likes

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by jaxxy(m): 11:27am On Sep 26, 2019
Make Nigeria Great again!
Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by majamajic(m): 11:28am On Sep 26, 2019
now he know a paok player has no chance to play for English snr team

I remember while he was with arsenal ,

he snubbed Naija

I remember him

4 Likes

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by saintokwuluora(m): 11:31am On Sep 26, 2019
Our oyinbo Naija boys don dey learn from the mistake of the likes of John and Justin Fashanu, Jordan Ibe, Gabriel Agbolahon, Nedum Onuoha et al. Happy to see the new Arsenal starlet Bukayo Saka say he is not a British - Nigerian but a Nigerian. Am sure Fikayo Tomori will pledge allegiance to Nigeria too. Waiting to see if Tammy will choose to be perpetual understudy to Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling and Jadon Sancho.

8 Likes

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by uchaymart(m): 11:42am On Sep 26, 2019
damosky12:

Try to read the news before commenting, sir. Chuba Akpom opted to play for the Super Eagles. He shouldn't be in the same table as Tammy.

It's the common sense thing to do. He'll stand the chance of doing well for himself with Nigeria than England. England is a little bit too structured like a football club.

Their national players dont seem to get the respects they deserve. They are used in good times and completely forgotten in hard times. You can't blame them for that though. They have an array of young stars constantly available to them per time.

Are you aware that Chuba Akpom once said he would represent England and not Nigeria??

7 Likes

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by Nobody: 12:11pm On Sep 26, 2019
Cocolatti:
Over to you Tammy Abraham!!!
Don't allow your early season form to deceive you. England may only use you for some few friendly matches and dump you.
Your International future is more guaranteed with the Super Eagles
I will slap you....if u don't have anything to say keep quiet na
and who told u Nigeria will not do the same if we find out another striker banging goals elsewhere

1 Like

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by elonize(m): 12:11pm On Sep 26, 2019
I like Tammy sha,cos e go grow white beards n e nogo play for England side
Him nor know say if e play for Nigeria, n.a. e self e dey do good.let him call iwobi n seek guidance
Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by Nobody: 12:15pm On Sep 26, 2019
gurunlocker:
By now, most of them should know that getting a chance in the English national team will be hard if you are not white. Even if you play, you might not get up to 20 caps before they forget you.
Starling na white
heskey na White, write Philip na white, Ashley Cole na white, dele Ali na white
baba if u are consistent no club go drop u.
Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by strangest(m): 12:25pm On Sep 26, 2019
uchaymart:
Ola Aina " " " " "

we need Chuba... Alex was lucky to have Jay as uncle... Chuba is the real deal.... Beside both has been in the game since

1 Like

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by gurunlocker: 12:34pm On Sep 26, 2019
vic17:
Starling na white
heskey na White, write Philip na white, Ashley Cole na white, dele Ali na white
baba if u are consistent no club go drop u.

I know all of those you listed before I made my post.... They have their root from UK (at least 1 to 2 generations back), maybe Dele Alli.

But most of those that have their root mainly from Naija mostly don't go far after getting cap, Dele is just still lucky.

1 Like

Re: Chuba Akpom Dumps England For Nigeria by Tajbol4splend(m): 12:55pm On Sep 26, 2019
Na hin I like that Bukayo Saka guy, KelechiAFC shared one video on his instagram page where one white guy called him an English player, he immediately corrected the guy telling him he's Nigerian.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

CAF Backs Holding World Cup Every 2 Yrs, Approves Super League For African Clubs / Susanna Dinnage Appointed Premier League Chief Executive / Mateu Lahos: Leo Messi Called Me And Apologised For The Harsh Words- #Qatar2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.