Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,016 members, 7,825,193 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims (20090 Views)

Second Niger Bridge: Onitsha And Asaba To Become Like New York And New Jersey / Zubby Michael Travelling On A Bike From Asaba To Onitsha (Pics & Video) / Army Secretly Moved 20 Lekki Massacre Victims To IDH Mortuary - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by nextstep(m): 10:22pm On Sep 28, 2019
expert234:

Because you didn't see the link doesn't negate the link. Those who see the link see it. I won't bore you with explanation

Fair enough...
Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by wirinet(m): 10:26pm On Sep 28, 2019
expert234:

Stop ranting and just accept that you are a fulani slave.

Education is designed to free people from mental slavery, but it looks like your own education immerses you deeper into mental slavery. And to think you are even a slave to people who are less educated than you!

What does that make out of you? A Useful Idiot? Just an innocent question.

Between you and I, who is a slave? Who is crying day and night to be free from oppression. Just pray that the same fulani you are begging for your freedom grants you one willingly. I don't want you to waste another 3 million lives fighting for your freedom.

A simple memorial, you guys turn into tribal mud fight.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by Truthbites: 10:30pm On Sep 28, 2019
horsepower101:
Osibanjo went to Rwanda to pay condolences for the Genocide that occurred there.

While after fifty years of the civil war, Nigeria had not even acknowledged the genocide of igbos and the various massacres that happened before, during and after the war.

They have tried so hard to erase that history.

Fortunately they failed.

Slaves and afonjas don't value history. They value amala

2 Likes

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by Truthbites: 10:38pm On Sep 28, 2019
shamecurls:
There is nothing like a masscare in war.

They were served what they deserved.

it could have been vice versal.

Silly statement

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by gwarotango: 10:48pm On Sep 28, 2019
LZAA:

Gwarotango right nowgrin
I like Vladimir Putin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by LZAA: 10:55pm On Sep 28, 2019
gwarotango:
I like Vladimir Putin
U are a terrorist grin

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by gwarotango: 10:59pm On Sep 28, 2019
LZAA:

U are a terrorist grin
No I am not. I haven't joined IPOB or Boko Haram yet
Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by LZAA: 11:01pm On Sep 28, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

So what do u call the above write-up from Vanguard? They called it massacre, are they lying
Gwarotango is a ruga fan
Smh
Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by LZAA: 11:02pm On Sep 28, 2019
gwarotango:
No I am not. I haven't joined IPOB or Boko Haram yet
Wee u keep quiet grin

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by gwarotango: 11:04pm On Sep 28, 2019
LZAA:

Gwarotango is a ruga fan
Smh
You're 100% correct on this. Sai RUGA!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by expert234: 11:19pm On Sep 28, 2019
wirinet:

Between you and I, who is a slave? Who is crying day and night to be free from oppression. Just pray that the same fulani you are begging for your freedom grants you one willingly. I don't want you to waste another 3 million lives fighting for your freedom.

A simple memorial, you guys turn into tribal mud fight.

Someone that cries day and night to be free recognises that he is in slavery.

My case is, therefore, better than you, who is in deep bondage of slavery, but is too mentally blind to even know that he is in bondage.

Boy, the joke is on you.

2 Likes

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by expert234: 11:33pm On Sep 28, 2019
nextstep:

Yes, we are commemorating the atrocities of the war committed by all belligerents. However, what has that to do with your original comments about puppets and masters? I just didn't see the connection, nor the reason for the comment in this topic.

But this notion of "opened the gate"...
1. was there a gate?
2. why wasn't it guarded by Nigerian army?
3. why leave such a strategic position open or in the hands of civilians?

I feel that's a lazy excuse in the search for who to blame... and I suspect anybody who was in the path of Biafra<->Nigeria was going to get mowed down, regardless of the actual truth.

The questions you asked show clearly that you deeply lack knowledge. It is strange that you are commenting on an issue you know nothing about. That's so unreasonable.

The comment below should answer your questions.

Shortly before the start of the civil war? David Ejoor, the military governor of Midwest told the nigerian and biafran armies that he wouldn't allow either side to pass through his region. As a result, the gates on either side of the Niger bridge were shut. ( I doubt if you know anything about Midwest. That's a shame if so).

However, the igbos on the Asaba end of the bridge opened the gate for their brothers from across the bridge and the biafran army invaded asaba. Then they murdered, raped and robbed Asaba, Benin and other Midwest towns.

Then few days later, they advanced towards Lagos along the Lagos -ore road, but were halted by the nigerian army at Ore.
Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by Nobody: 12:21am On Sep 29, 2019
gwarotango:
Oga there was no genocide against Ibos what we had was a civil war where the ibo leadership failed to secure food for it's population. Respect to all those who lost their lives on both sides of the divide

What about the more than 100,000 Igbo's and easterners killed in the North in 1966 and 1967 before the war even commenced? Is that not genocide?

Chronology of recorded killings of Biafrans in Nigeria From June 22 ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.ft.dk/samling/20131/almdel/upn/bilag/69/1319730.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjamMqS0_TkAhUQilwKHRwLCGoQFjABegQIDxAG&usg=AOvVaw33dBnRRST5hyk3VDrHaihS

1 Like

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by CanadaOrBust: 1:19am On Sep 29, 2019
gwarotango:
Those people who got shot were either enemy combatants or sympathisers. When the Nigerian army liberated Enugu and other ibo towns, no such incidents were recorded

Not according to this eye witness. They were waving Nigerian flags and chanting one Nigeria. Read the bolded:

Asaba Massacre: Seeking Healing 50 Years After

By Azuka Onwuka On Oct 6, 2017

It is not a good sight watching an adult fight tears. Even though the event happened 50 years ago, it was hard for Dr Ify Uraih to recount without being weighed down by emotions.

Like he testified in 2001 at the Nigerian Human Rights Violations Investigation Commission (popularly known as Oputa Panel), which was commissioned by President Olusegun Obasanjo and charged to consider the history of human rights abuses from 1966 to May 1999, Uraih, over the weekend at the palace of the Asagba of Asaba, recounted how he and his father and two brothers faced a hail of bullets on October 7, 1967 at the Ogbe-Osowa Square in Asaba, where they had gathered to welcome the federal troops during the Nigerian Civil War. He was lucky to escape but his father and brothers were not lucky.

The casualties were not soldiers or combatants. They were not caught by friendly fire or accidental discharge. They were gathered together and gunned down in what remains one of the most callous incidents of the Nigerian Civil War.

When the Nigerian troops pushed out the Biafran troops from the Midwestern Region during the war, the Biafran troops retreated across the River Niger and broke the Niger Bridge. The Second Division of the Nigerian Army, led by Lt. Col. Murtala Mohammed, entered Asaba on October 4, 1967.

Between October 4 and 6, there were reports that the Nigerian soldiers killed men and boys of Asaba, on the allegation that they were sympathetic to the Biafrans or collaborated with the Biafran soldiers. In a bid to stop these killings, the elders of Asaba decided to embark on a parade through Asaba streets on October 7, which would culminate at the Ogbe-Osowa Square, to pledge their support for “One Nigeria.” The towncrier went round the community to inform the people, to come out dressed in their traditional white attire called akwa ocha for the ceremony.

On that fateful day, the people trooped out, dressed in their traditional white Asaba attire, chanting “One Nigeria,” waving the Nigerian flag and pledging their loyalty to Nigeria.

At the town square, they were addressed by Major Ibrahim Taiwo, who tongue-lashed them and accused the people of Asaba of hiding Biafran soldiers and sympathising with the Biafran soldiers. He threatened to kill all of them. Soldiers mounted machine guns and automatic rifles around the square facing them. It looked like a joke to many of those gathered there.

Some Asaba men, including the father of Mrs Maryam Babangida, former First Lady, Mr Nwanonye Okogwu, spoke on behalf of the Asaba people, telling the soldiers that they were civilians who were not taking part in the war. The Asaba people requested that the civilian population be allowed to leave town, so that the soldiers could take care of those they were after.

The Nigerian soldiers asked that the crowd march around the town to ask all those who were inside to come out, so that anybody not at the square would be taken as a dissident. The men and boys were separated from the women. The men and boys were marched out. A few metres away, those who had returned from the North and therefore understood Hausa heard a soldier tell other soldiers to take them in little groups of 10 for elimination. Dr Uraih recalled that his elder brother resisted joining the first group of 10 people. He was shot in the back and killed. Some people wanted to flee but were gunned down. And so the guns began to boom as the men and boys were mowed down. Those who were mortally injured raised their hands and asked to be killed. They were obliged with bouts of gunfire.

Long after the shooting stopped and the soldiers left, leaving death and blood behind, the few lucky survivors and the injured dragged themselves out of the place of death. Uraih, who was about 15 years old then, survived but his father Mr Robert Uraih, and his two brothers, Emma and Paul, lay dead. The next day, he came back with a wheelbarrow to take away the bodies of his father and brothers for burial to avoid having them buried in mass graves or eaten by scavengers.

It is estimated that after the three-day killing of civilians in Asaba by the soldiers, over a thousand fell victim.
Asaba was left with widows and orphans. Almost every family lost a son or father. The only male survivors were those who had earlier fled Asaba before the arrival of the Nigerian troops or those who were too old or sick to come out to the square.

The strangest part of this massacre was that it was unprovoked and done in cold blood and in deceit. The victims had no inkling that such a fate awaited them. Who could imagine that people dressed in white, chanting their allegiance to One Nigeria would be gunned down by the same soldiers they were pledging allegiance to?

For decades, Asaba has lived with this horrific and traumatic experience in silence. Their story was swallowed by the events of the Nigerian Civil War, especially the starving children of Biafra. Most Nigerians have never heard of the fate that befell Asaba people on October 7, 1967. Ironically, those who led this massacre rose to become national heroes, with monuments named after them and beautiful tales told about them.

The Asaba people have decided to commemorate the 50th anniversary of this ugly incident in a way that will galvanise them towards rebirth and healing. Accordingly, the Asaba October 7 Memorial Group, led by Mr. Alban Ofili-Okonkwo, plans a four-day anniversary that will start on October 4 and end on October 8, with its theme as “Remembrance and Forgiveness”. The high points being the October 7 colloquium featuring Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, and Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah as keynote speakers as well as the presentation of a book on the carnage entitled, The Asaba Massacre – Trauma, Memories, and the Nigerian Civil War, authored by renowned anthropologist, Prof. S. Elizabeth Bird and co-authored by historian, Prof. Fraser M. Ottanelli, both of the University of South Florida.

Ofili-Okonkwo emphasises that in the spirit of forgiveness and rebirth, a maternity and school of midwifery would be established at the spot where the people were massacred and it will be named The Place of My Birth Hospital. The hospital will serve everybody from all walks of life and from all parts of the nation and the world. This hospital will save life and bring forth life in a place where life was snuffed out.

The group believes that with the sensitisation and citizen engagement programmes, healing and closure would be achieved to signal the collective resolve of Asaba indigenes to leave behind the memories of their tragic past and walk resolutely into a more promising future.

Even though Asaba people have decided to forgive and move on, Nigeria has not been able to find a solution to its lack of respect for human lives. Because it has never taken any decisive step to punish those, especially government agents, who waste human lives, the impunity to kill at will has continued over the decades in different parts of the country, whether in Odi or Zaki-Biam. This lack of punishment for cold-blooded murder of civilians has emboldened more government agents to kill more civilians.

That those who murdered defenceless civilians in Asaba have never been reprimanded in life or in death, neither has Nigerian government acknowledged that its troops massacred its citizens without provocation is a dent on Nigeria’s image.

3 Likes

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by TSRC: 2:52am On Sep 29, 2019
Mrfeel:

By demanding for referendum ? how is demanding for referendum puting innocent lives at risk?? Even back then in 1967 ojokwu didn't call for war against Nigeria it was Nigeria that declared war on biafrans
But you know Nigeria will not condone referendum as witnessed by ojukwu, why would you do it again?
Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by ScotMisile: 2:54am On Sep 29, 2019
Rensolar:

We don't reply trolls. Next!
because you are a living-dead

1 Like

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by ScotMisile: 2:57am On Sep 29, 2019
gwarotango:
Oga there was no genocide against Ibos what we had was a civil war where the ibo leadership failed to secure food for it's population. Respect to all those who lost their lives on both sides of the divide
Pls, don't start this argument. Tho, we live in peace, but my sword is never far away.
Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by ScotMisile: 3:00am On Sep 29, 2019
gwarotango:
Ojukwu kept giving some unacceptable preconditions for food aid to be brought in to Biafra. He intended to use pictures of the starving children for propaganda purposes. There was no genocide on ibos

Wow, you liar!!!! you still lie on the dead??.. . May their souls await you as you cultivate the spirit to lie against the dead!!! !!!

1 Like

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by ScotMisile: 3:03am On Sep 29, 2019
brightpre:

Urhobo, Okpe and Isoko are not part of Biafra, majority of the igbo’s are not part self, so get out of my Mention.

Pls, don't be confused every Igbo man wants BIAFRA.

1 Like

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by Nobody: 3:24am On Sep 29, 2019
LZAA:

Gwarotango right nowgrin
He needs love in his life grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by Nobody: 5:37am On Sep 29, 2019
I joined the Asaba people to honour the civil war massacre victims. My heart bleeds whenever I remember the story. I was told the people were very peaceful and not part of Biafra group and were even hospitable to the Nigerian troops, but as harmless as they were, an order was given by somebody that died in 1976 for them to be killed. That was the story an indigene told me. I have not had the opportunity of listening to the Nigerian soldiers side of the story.

3 Likes

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by Passionate1(m): 6:13am On Sep 29, 2019
Correct!

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by Justtv(m): 6:16am On Sep 29, 2019
Naija Naija Men Only!!!

Join the Just TV on WhatsApp. Our Naughty Group Full Of sexy Ladies ready to Hookup & Share Nudes.

Ladies Join Free Naughty ones only.

Men Entry Fee #500.
Join us +2347056833559 or Link������

https:///2347056833559?text=Hello%2C%20I'll%20love%20to%20join%20Just⚡%E2%9A%A1Tv%F0%9F%92%83%F0%9F%8F%BD%E2%9C%A8%2C%20my%20name%20is
Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by JonDon12: 7:52am On Sep 29, 2019
Enyimbamercedes:
Each time you hold a 20 Naira note, you are looking at the mad man who led the massacre... Murtala Mohammed.

Murtala like Buhari was a useless military leader. True talk. Northerners cant fight for shit. All they can do is prey on defenseless civilians. Shuwa, buhari, murtala, the Gwodo Gwodo. They would have lost that war.

The people that helped them win the war were our fellow southerners Awolowo,,obasanjo, black scorpion and the Nigerdeltans. They took their freedom and gave it to the north.

1 Like

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by gidgiddy: 8:15am On Sep 29, 2019
When Dimka killed Taiwo and Murtala Mohammed in 1976, he did not just the people of Asaba, but Nigeria a big favour

2 Likes

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by femolii: 9:31am On Sep 29, 2019
expert234:
Igbos are holding their own, but Yorubas seem to be happy being slaves to fulanis. They are ready to throw Gani Adams under the bus for daring to set them free from slavery.

The mentality of most Yorubas is that of a slave.

Too bad.
So what concerns Yoruba's now with this matter people should think well before opening their gutter mouth, am not supporting killing but we all know the causes of that civil war the leader of that coup that killed Nigeria prominent politian the man is from Asaba so that is the taste of his medicine well rest in peace to them.
Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by expert234: 10:01am On Sep 29, 2019
femolii:
So what concerns Yoruba's now with this matter people should think well before opening their gutter mouth, am not supporting killing but we all know the causes of that civil war the leader of that coup that killed Nigeria prominent politian the man is from Asaba so that is the taste of his medicine well rest in peace to them.

At least, igbos are remembering their pasts and using it to Foster a better future for themselves.

What happens to the Yorubas, on the other hand? They are more satisfied with being slaves to the Fulanis.

Now, you should be the one to think twice before you open your gutter mouth.

1 Like

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by bigfrancis21: 10:20am On Sep 29, 2019
babaolofin:
I joined the Asaba people to honour the civil war massacre victims. My heart bleeds whenever I remember the story. I was told the people were very peaceful and not part of Biafra group and were even hospitable to the Nigerian troops, but as harmless as they were, an order was given by somebody that died in 1976 for them to be killed. That was the story an indigene told me. I have not had the opportunity of listening to the Nigerian soldiers side of the story.

I nearly wept several years ago when I heard of the genocide. It was indeed callous. The Asaba people, despite not being a part of Biafra, were nevertheless targeted and their men killed and women raped and abducted into forced marriage. This was done primarily in retaliation to the actions of Nzeogwu who the perpetrators thought was from Asaba (he is actually from Okpanam).

3 Likes

Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by Nobody: 10:47am On Sep 29, 2019
expert234:

At least, igbos are remembering their pasts and using it to Foster a better future for themselves.

What happens to the Yorubas, on the other hand? They are more satisfied with being slaves to the Fulanis.

Now, you should be the one to think twice before you open your gutter mouth.

It is the Ibos that are slaves to the Hausa Fulanis. They are very tribalistic and practiced racism but out of frustration and inferiority complex complained about the Yorubas. You brought out a very key observation that the Yorubas are not remembering their past. During Obj era, the Afenifere remembered Col Adekunle Fajuyi who lost his life in the process of save guarding Aguiyi Ironsi. The memorial was a major event in South West. Obj and some factions never supported the memorial. The IBOs made very ungrateful comments against Fajuyi.

In South West, there is a duplicity of opinions and DICHOTOMY of political orientation which made a common stand to be difficult to achieve. Political vendors from the North only come to South West to look for camp to pitch their tent. There is an internal crisis in the South West because of dichotomy of political orientation since Awolowo era. There is an internal political warfare which made the South West the least developed region in the South. Outside Lagos, no development in South West. South East & South South are developed and the IBOs are lucky to inherit foreign reserve of almost $50 billion from Obj/Yaradua and an oil price up to $140 per barrel which they looted to develop themselves. The military developed the North. South West no development. The day South West will come to remember her past, then Nigeria end is nearer, but the IBOs blackmailing of the South West cannot achieve this.
Re: Markets In Asaba To Shut Down To Honor Civil War Massacre Victims by Freshmaxi: 11:15am On Sep 29, 2019
Nigeria will never be one.. Rip to the death.. Rubbish country..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP G5 Concluding Talks On Preferred Presidential Candidate – Wike (Video) / Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student / "Amaechi Can't Bribe Judges, He Is A True Child Of God" - Rivers APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.