Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

The Story Behind The Song “i Have Decided To Follow Jesus" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Story Behind The Song “i Have Decided To Follow Jesus" (465 Views)

Strength To Carry Your Cross Daily And Follow JESUS / I Have Decided To Follow Jesus. No Turning Back, No Turning Back. / Questions For Budaatum: How Can You Follow Jesus Without Believing In Him? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Story Behind The Song “i Have Decided To Follow Jesus" by LAUSUG15: 11:19am On Sep 29, 2019
THE STORY BEHIND THE SONG “I HAVE DECIDED TO FOLLOW JESUS"
About 150 years ago, there was a great revival in Wales, England.

As a result of this, many missionaries came from England to northeast India to spread the Gospel.
The region was known as Assam and comprised hundreds of tribes.
The tribal communities were quite primitive and aggressive.
The tribesmen were also called HEAD-HUNTERS because of a social custom which required the male members of the community to collect as many heads as possible.
A man’s strength and ability to protect his wife was assessed by the number of heads he had collected.
Therefore, a youth of marriageable age would try and collect as many heads as possible and hang them on the walls of his house.
The more heads a man had, the more eligible he was considered.
Into this hostile and aggressive community, came a group of Welsh missionaries spreading the message of love, peace, and hope of Jesus Christ.
Naturally, they were not welcomed.
However, One Welsh missionary finally succeeded in converting a man, his wife, and two children.
This man’s faith proved contagious and many villagers began to accept Christianity.
Angry, the village Chief summoned all the villagers.
He then called the family who had first converted, to renounce their faith in public or face execution.
Moved by the Holy Spirit, the man sung his reply,
“I have decided to follow Jesus. No turning back.”
Enraged at the refusal of the man, the Chief ordered his archers to arrow down the two children and they did.
As both boys lay twitching on the floor, the Chief asked, “Will you deny your faith?
You have lost both your children already. You will lose your wife too.”
But the man replied, again singing,
“Though none go with me, still I will follow, No turning back.”
The Chief was beside himself with fury and ordered his wife to be arrowed down and she was.
In a moment, she joined her two children in death.
Now he asked for the last time, “I will give you one more opportunity to deny your faith and live.”
In the face of death the man sung,
“The cross before me, the world behind me. No turning back. No turning back.”
He was shot dead like the rest of his family.
But with their deaths, a miracle took place.
The Chief who had ordered the killings was moved by the faith of the man.
He wondered, “Why should this man, his wife and two children die for a Man who lived in a far-away land, on another continent some 2,000 years ago?
He concluded that "there must be some supernatural power behind the family, and I too want that supernatural power.”
In a spontaneous confession of faith, he declared, “I too belong to Jesus Christ!”

When the crowd heard this from the mouth of their Chief, the whole village accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior.

What have you ever done for Jesus Christ?

Jesus wants you to make that decision to Follow Him today, because tomorrow might be too late.

If you love Jesus, please share this message.

GOD BLESS YOU AS YOU DO.

The messenger of Truth, with the messages of Victory...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Story Behind The Song “i Have Decided To Follow Jesus" by KaBabs1: 11:22am On Sep 29, 2019
Okay
Re: The Story Behind The Song “i Have Decided To Follow Jesus" by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 29, 2019
interesting!
Re: The Story Behind The Song “i Have Decided To Follow Jesus" by CaveAdullam: 8:40pm On Oct 24, 2019
The Cross before me, the world behind me. No turning back, no turning back.

Lord God Almighty let your grace, love and mercy continually fill our heart, spirit, soul and body by the Holy Spirit and through our Lord and Savior Jesus.

Thanks.

God bless.
Re: The Story Behind The Song “i Have Decided To Follow Jesus" by Nobody: 9:20pm On Oct 24, 2019
Inspirational. Worth reading.
Re: The Story Behind The Song “i Have Decided To Follow Jesus" by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 24, 2019
LAUSUG15:
THE STORY BEHIND THE SONG “I HAVE DECIDED TO FOLLOW JESUS"
About 150 years ago, there was a great revival in Wales, England.

As a result of this, many missionaries came from England to northeast India to spread the Gospel.
The region was known as Assam and comprised hundreds of tribes.
The tribal communities were quite primitive and aggressive.
The tribesmen were also called HEAD-HUNTERS because of a social custom which required the male members of the community to collect as many heads as possible.
A man’s strength and ability to protect his wife was assessed by the number of heads he had collected.
Therefore, a youth of marriageable age would try and collect as many heads as possible and hang them on the walls of his house.
The more heads a man had, the more eligible he was considered.
Into this hostile and aggressive community, came a group of Welsh missionaries spreading the message of love, peace, and hope of Jesus Christ.
Naturally, they were not welcomed.
However, One Welsh missionary finally succeeded in converting a man, his wife, and two children.
This man’s faith proved contagious and many villagers began to accept Christianity.
Angry, the village Chief summoned all the villagers.
He then called the family who had first converted, to renounce their faith in public or face execution.
Moved by the Holy Spirit, the man sung his reply,
“I have decided to follow Jesus. No turning back.”
Enraged at the refusal of the man, the Chief ordered his archers to arrow down the two children and they did.
As both boys lay twitching on the floor, the Chief asked, “Will you deny your faith?
You have lost both your children already. You will lose your wife too.”
But the man replied, again singing,
“Though none go with me, still I will follow, No turning back.”
The Chief was beside himself with fury and ordered his wife to be arrowed down and she was.
In a moment, she joined her two children in death.
Now he asked for the last time, “I will give you one more opportunity to deny your faith and live.”
In the face of death the man sung,
“The cross before me, the world behind me. No turning back. No turning back.”
He was shot dead like the rest of his family.
But with their deaths, a miracle took place.
The Chief who had ordered the killings was moved by the faith of the man.
He wondered, “Why should this man, his wife and two children die for a Man who lived in a far-away land, on another continent some 2,000 years ago?
He concluded that "there must be some supernatural power behind the family, and I too want that supernatural power.”
In a spontaneous confession of faith, he declared, “I too belong to Jesus Christ!”

When the crowd heard this from the mouth of their Chief, the whole village accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior.

What have you ever done for Jesus Christ?

Jesus wants you to make that decision to Follow Him today, because tomorrow might be too late.

If you love Jesus, please share this message.

GOD BLESS YOU AS YOU DO.

The messenger of Truth, with the messages of Victory...
Wow!

This is really powerful.

I pray this post makes front page soon because this is arguably the most inspiring post I have seen since I got to Nairaland.

This song was an inspiration to me when I started to walk at the level of the Spirit, that I even made another version of it, but never knew that it had such an inspiring story behind it.

Not surprised though, because I know some of the most inspirational songs are inspired by the most trying times.

That's the spirit of the apostles, that's the level of a hundred percent.

No turning back, no turning back.

Thanks a lot for sharing this. It's really inspired me.
Re: The Story Behind The Song “i Have Decided To Follow Jesus" by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 01, 2019
No turning back, No turning back.
Re: The Story Behind The Song “i Have Decided To Follow Jesus" by Nobody: 4:06am On Nov 10, 2019
jesusjnr:
No turning back, No turning back.

(1) (Reply)

Territorial Dominion By Apostle Joshua Selman / Long Lost Brother Miraculously Found ‘living In The Bush’ In SA After 12 Years / Breaking News: Prophecy # 27 Spoken By The Restoration Apostle, Fulfilled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.