Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

(Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 (5042 Views)

Buying Phone On Installment / How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? / Sme Data: Get Mtn 1gb For N600 Or 1.5gb For N900 With 3 Month Validity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

(Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by winar(m): 1:00pm On Sep 29, 2019
I'm writing this in response to the thread that hit frontpage concerning the said matter. I do reason before, that buying phone of N600k is a waste of money when a N100k phone will probably have same functions. But now I know it's just poverty mentality.

This is the mathematical prove:

1. Mr A (with savings N100,000) purchases infinix note 6 phone for N65,000. This amounts to 65% of his savings.

2. Mr B (with savings of N10,000) borrows N25,000 from his mom, and purchases fairly used Tecno Camon X from his friend. Mr B has no more savings, and he is now in DEBT (to the tune of 150% of his previous savings).

3. Mr C (with account balance of N7.5 million) purchases a brand new Iphone 11 pro from Jumia for N560,000. This amounts to 7.4% of his savings.

Result:

1. Mr A (spent 65% of savings).

2. Mr B (in debt to the tune of 150% of savings).

3. Mr C (spent 7.4% of savings).

Now my people, who is more rational? Who is extravagant?

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by MeshachMARTINS(m): 1:05pm On Sep 29, 2019
cheesy cheesy grin .. .. this is funny tbh grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by ZinoFasisi: 1:06pm On Sep 29, 2019
My brother it is Mr D (with account balance of N100 million) that purchases a brand new Samsung s10+/1tb for 750k + a smart watch of 150k + Airpod of 70k + a fast chager of about 15k. He later branched a beer parlor spend 15k ontop drinks and pepper soup grin
This amounts to 1% of his savings.

My brother Mr D is more rational

one person go just dey hin house dey tell me wetin i spend my money on dey irrational. nonsense and ingredients.

38 Likes

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by winar(m): 1:07pm On Sep 29, 2019
ZinoFasisi:
My brother it is Mr D (with account balance of N100 million) that purchases a brand new Samsung s10+/1tb for 750k + a smart watch of 150k + Airpod of 70k + a fast chager of about 15k. He later branch beer parlor spend 15k ontop drinks and pepper soup grin

grin grin grin grin
Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by phorget(m): 1:09pm On Sep 29, 2019
Even Solomon despite his God given wisdom still went astray. To those that can afford such luxuries I say good luck and to those that won't spend their money on such I say weldone.

What we so much cherish today would become archaic tomorrow so whats the fuss all about?

6 Likes

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by Gracesofar(m): 1:09pm On Sep 29, 2019
Oboy....

Well I feel you are right looking from your perspective and the other Guy is right from his perspective. Now what if Mr A salary is Mr C salary and Mr C salary is Mr A salary..

Truth is most of the people getting the so called IPhone 11 can't really afford it they just do so because they wanna live the I have arrived life. I wish government can make a rule where we pay monthly tax on all our gadgets.

3 Likes

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by skywalker240(m): 1:11pm On Sep 29, 2019
Me, if i have the money, for peace to reing, I CANT OO

a phone that next year will become useless and another one has replaced it? Thats POUND WISE, POUND XTREMELY FOOLISH spending.

3 Likes

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by phorget(m): 1:11pm On Sep 29, 2019
ZinoFasisi:
My brother it is Mr D (with account balance of N100 million) that purchases a brand new Samsung s10+/1tb for 750k + a smart watch of 150k + Airpod of 70k + a fast chager of about 15k. He later branched a beer parlor spend 15k ontop drinks and pepper soup grin

one person go just dey hin house dey tell me wetin i spend my money on dey irrational. nonsense and ingredients.

Someone with such amount still branching beer parlour for 15bottles of beer... Hmmmm.

1 Like

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by skywalker240(m): 1:15pm On Sep 29, 2019
ZinoFasisi:

grin

Nairaland na wa oo grin

1 Like

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by skywalker240(m): 1:17pm On Sep 29, 2019
phorget:
Even Solomon despite his God given wisdom still went astray. To those that can afford such luxuries I say good luck and to those that won't spend their money on such I say weldone.

What we so much cherish today would become archaic tomorrow so whats the fuss all about?
seconded,

come i hope say you no join "VANITY CREW" sha grin
Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by winar(m): 1:18pm On Sep 29, 2019
phorget:

You are not getting it. It's not a luxury to them. But it is to you
Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by Vulcanheph(m): 1:23pm On Sep 29, 2019
Has anyone ever heard that dangote bought the latest iphone?..........No matter how rich i become, I won't live an extravagant lifestyle.........make No Mistake i'll definitely live Luxuriously but not extravagant.
Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by phorget(m): 1:26pm On Sep 29, 2019
winar:

You are not getting it. It's not a luxury to them. But it is to you

Since it's not a luxury then I can safely say it's necessity then. But what is your own definition of a "cellphone"
Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by phorget(m): 1:34pm On Sep 29, 2019
skywalker240:

seconded,

come i hope say you no join "VANITY CREW" sha grin

In place of VANITY I'll rather say SIMPLICITY.
Fear of missing out usually drive most people into buying things they don't really need. Unfortunately, I don't trend, I don't buy brands and I don't follow the multitude.

3 Likes

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by skywalker240(m): 1:40pm On Sep 29, 2019
phorget:

In place of VANITY I'll rather say SIMPLICITY.
Fear of missing out usually drive most people into buying things they don't really need. Unfortunately, I don't trend, I don't buy brands and I don't follow the multitude.
OWK, Now i completely agree with you.
Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by leonard002(m): 1:59pm On Sep 29, 2019
This is a flawed assessment as statistically, most millionaires don't own or use highly expensive or luxury items. If they did they won't achieve millionaire status to begin with.

Most iPhone buyers and users do it for showoff only.

Be guided

7 Likes

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by shilenji(m): 3:22pm On Sep 29, 2019
ZinoFasisi:

are you trying to tell me your brother is the only succesful person in your family.

3 Likes

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by ZinoFasisi: 3:36pm On Sep 29, 2019
shilenji:
are you trying to tell me your brother is the only succesful person in your family.

hahahahahahaha

I swear Ability to read and comprehend is a talent which u definitely lack

Omo ode

3 Likes

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by jaywalker04(m): 3:44pm On Sep 29, 2019
leonard002:
This is a flawed assessment as statistically, most millionaires don't own or use highly expensive or luxury items. If they did they won't achieve millionaire status to begin with.

Most iPhone buyers and users do it for showoff only.

Be guided
I don't entirely agree with you. Most millionaires prefer to use expensive stuff. How else would you know that they're rich if they didn't have private jets, luxurious car garage, a multi million dollar mansion and of course, an iPhone 11 pro max. People didn't just start selling pant to buy Benz, if it was established that only poor people use iPhones and drive Benz then Yahoo boys and ashawos no go buy dem.

3 Likes

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by jedisco(m): 3:50pm On Sep 29, 2019
In as much as it is good to be financially prudent (as I guess was the intention of the initial poster on the first thread), it is necessary to know that people would always spend on what they consider valuable.

People keep mentioning Bill Gates and Dangote who they know very little about. While those two may not be found with the latest iPhone, they can spend millions of dollars a week's holiday, art, horses, or watch some sport they have interest in. IT'S ALL ABOUT INTEREST!
Dangote may not have the latest phone, but would not fly economy on an international flight. However, right now with same budget for a flight, I'd prefer to fly economy and can use the change to get a good phone I'd use for at least a year. To me that makes sense but that does not mean Dangote is wasting money. It's all about things people attach value to.

The original poster also spoke about using a laptop of 60k cos all he does is reading and writing. Alot would prefer a more premium laptop cos of sleekness, better screen, speed, portability and ease of use even if they only read and watch videos on it. That doesn't mean they sre stupid or he's smarter than them.

People easily give financial advice when it's another person's money but hardly for theirs. Give advice but avoid being judgemental. Live and let live

BTW @op, it's proof and not prove

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by michlins(m): 4:08pm On Sep 29, 2019
When I bought a phone for 45000, my friends said I was extravagant. Two years down the line, I am still using the phone meanwhile they have spent more than 60000 buying and fixing their phones and yet none of them can sell their phone for how much I can make should I decide to sell.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by shilenji(m): 4:13pm On Sep 29, 2019
ZinoFasisi:

hahahahahahaha
I swear Ability to read and comprehend is a talent which u definitely lack
Omo ode

2 Likes

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by Timileyin1234(m): 4:18pm On Sep 29, 2019
I can’t find any sense here jare.
Cos Nigerians reason of buying latest iPhone is for show off
Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by Conner44: 4:18pm On Sep 29, 2019
I’ve been using this phone for 4 years now. If apple wont make another iPhone with a smaller screen I will never upgrade.

Apart from camera and Face ID my phone does everything else the latest iPhone does.

Did I spend my money rationally back in 2016?

I’d let You be the judge of that

2 Likes

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by chyckxx(m): 5:09pm On Sep 29, 2019
Conner44:
I’ve been using this phone for 4 years now. If apple wont make another iPhone with a smaller screen I will never upgrade.

Apart from camera and Face ID my phone does everything else the latest iPhone does.

ios 13 is smooth, bro. are you also feeling it? grin
Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by ogawisdom(m): 5:45pm On Sep 29, 2019
Vanity upon vanity ........
Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by emae009(m): 5:51pm On Sep 29, 2019
we cannot rationally justify other people spending base on our own conviction. Yes some borrow to buy the latest gadgets and other luxuries but if that's what brings them fulfillment then it's justified. Our sole aim in life on a larger scale is self fulfillment as long as it doesn't come at other's expense

1 Like

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by Conner44: 5:59pm On Sep 29, 2019
chyckxx:

ios 13 is smooth, bro. are you also feeling it? grin

It’s on point. Making my 5 yr old phone act, look and feel brand new cheesy
Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by chikason68(m): 6:01pm On Sep 29, 2019
Vulcanheph:
Has anyone ever heard that dangote bought the latest iphone?..........No matter how rich i become, I won't live an extravagant lifestyle.........make No Mistake i'll definitely live Luxuriously but not extravagant.
You think is all rich men that show-off on social media? So even if dangote is using iphone 15, he should announce it to the world ni? Dont tell me u believe da "dangote is using Nokia touch" shit.

4 Likes

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by chyckxx(m): 6:03pm On Sep 29, 2019
Conner44:

It’s on point. Making my 5 yr old phone act, look and feel brand new cheesy
yes, that’s one of the good things about apple products. i have a 6s and it works just great.
Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by Conner44: 6:08pm On Sep 29, 2019
chyckxx:

yes, that’s one of the good things about apple products. i have a 6s and it works just great.

And this is the reason I won’t criticize anyone for spending on an apple product. Many years later your device will still be receiving updates and support.

The latest android version isn’t supported on on many flagships like Samsung galaxy note 8 and co even considering the amount of money those devices cost at that time it came out.

Isn’t it sad embarassed

3 Likes

Re: (Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 by horlahwaley(m): 6:13pm On Sep 29, 2019
Conner44:

so you used all 128gb completely shocked shocked. When i cant even use a quater of 64gb.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mtn 3g Vs Glo 4g Lte Internet Speed Test(Shocking Result) / World’s First 4GB RAM Smartphone Announced – Asus Zenfone 2! / How To Check Your BVN With Your Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.