Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,846 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? (37491 Views)

(Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 / App That Cost ₦80,000.00 On Playstore / Sme Data: Get Mtn 1gb For N600 Or 1.5gb For N900 With 3 Month Validity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by GeoAfrikana(m): 10:25am On Sep 29, 2019
We work hard to earn money, so it's rational for us to spend our money on only products/services that (we believe) will add value to our lives.

Yesterday, I heard of a phone that costs #600k. The first question that came to my mind was:

what will I enjoy from this phone that my Google Pixel won't give?

So I decided to throw this question to the house.

How can you rationally justify spending #600k on a phone?

Thanks.

100 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Ernerstdavid55(m): 10:41am On Sep 29, 2019
Me self dey think am chaii is too much of a money grin

124 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by GeoAfrikana(m): 11:04am On Sep 29, 2019
Ernerstdavid55:
Me self dey think am chaii is too much of a money grin

Actually, it's not the amount that's the real issue. There are many products that cost more than #600k. But the issue is which value does it add to you?

I think you get the gist.

Lalasticlala

343 Likes 21 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by goodmorning40: 11:06am On Sep 29, 2019
When you get to that point of spending that kind of money on a phone you won't remember rational justification before buying it. You will just buy it wait until you get there

452 Likes 22 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Ernerstdavid55(m): 11:09am On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Actually, it's not the amount that's the real issue. There are many products that cost more than #600k. But the issue is which value does it add to me that a #100k phone can't?

I think you get the gist.
no value at all if not Yahoo Yahoo

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by GeoAfrikana(m): 11:13am On Sep 29, 2019
goodmorning40:
When you get to that point of spending that kind of money on a phone you won't remember rational justification before buying it. You will just buy it wait until you get there

Thanks for your contribution bro.
According to you, if I get you right, the fact that you can afford it is enough justification.

I don't believe this is rational. A rational human being spends on what adds value/benefit to his life.

266 Likes 21 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 11:13am On Sep 29, 2019
When money no dey ground, you start to reason and rationale...........

And by extension of that poor nature, you naturally criticise those not swimming in that poor river with you.........

140 Likes 13 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by GeoAfrikana(m): 11:16am On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:
When money no dey ground, you start to reason and rationale...........

Then we can rightly say money makes people lose their senses and right judgement?

And we can rightly say that most rich people are foolish spenders?

Based on your statement.

188 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 11:18am On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Then we can rightly say money makes people lose their senses and right judgement?

Based on your statement.

Nope.......

Once money is unlimited to an extent, your scale of preferences net is wider.......

122 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 11:20am On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Based on your statement.

A rich person decides what to spend his money, and what to spend it on.....

The poor would not see reasons, why the rich is spending money that way.

In the eye's of the poor, it's foolish spending......

66 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by GeoAfrikana(m): 11:25am On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Nope.......

Once money is unlimited to an extent, your scale of preferences net is wider.......

For me, the only thing that constantly increases with my income is my charity.

Yes the quality of products I buy also increase but I only buy what I believe has value.

For example, let's say I'm a writer. All I need a laptop for is to type, typeset, Google, read PDFs and maybe watch tutorial videos.
Let's say there are laptops within 50-80k that will satisfy my needs fully.

It would be wasteful and irrational of me to spend #150k or more on a high-end laptop made for gamers, data/GIS analysts and graphic designers just because I'm able to afford it.

Wouldn't it be wise if I purchased a 60k laptop and used the remaining 90k for other needs. If I have no more needs I can give it in charity to a family member, a friend, a striving student, an orphanage, sick people in the hospital or even prison inmates.

244 Likes 22 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 11:41am On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Yes the quality of products I buy also increase but I only buy what I believe has value.

For example, let's say I'm a writer. All I need a laptop for is to type, typeset, Google, read PDFs and maybe watch tutorial videos.

It would be wasteful and irrational of me to spend #150k or more on a high-end laptop made for gamers, data/GIS analysts and graphic designers just because I'm able to afford it.

Wouldn't it be wise if I purchased a 60k laptop and used the remaining 90k for other needs. If I have no more needs I can give it in charity to a family member, a friend, a striving student, an orphanage, sick people in the hospital or even prison inmates.

Now your example might turnaround and bite you in the bum........ How do you ask?.....

You might just be a writer today, but tomorrow you see the trend shifting towards game development, video editing etc etc

You want to delve into those industries too, how useful would your 50K laptop be?

73 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by GeoAfrikana(m): 11:45am On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Now your example might turnaround and bite you in the bum........ How do you ask?.....

You might just be a writer today, but tomorrow you see the trend shifting towards game development, video editing etc etc

You want to delve into those industries too, how useful would your 50K laptop be?

Very simple. I'll sell my old laptop, add some money, and get a new one.

Even though, writing is an evergreen business. Niches and their profitability might change but writing as whole will be forever.

94 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 11:47am On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Very simple. I'll sell my old laptop, add some money, and get a new one.

Even though, writing is an evergreen business. Niches and their profitability might change but writing as whole will be forever.

So we return back full circle......... cheesy

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by GeoAfrikana(m): 11:51am On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:

So we return back full circle......... cheesy

If you say so.

5 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 11:51am On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

If you say so.

You know it's a statement of fact........

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 11:54am On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

If you say so.

If one cannot spend excessively on particular items, does not mean those that do...... Are making a foolish decision......

Human wants are unlimited, but resources are very limited..... Simply put, cut your coat accordingly to the materials available.......

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Timileyin1234(m): 11:55am On Sep 29, 2019
But how does the phone reach 600k. 999£ not the starting price again.

Wait how can I use my own hand to work for 365 days. And after all I will now remove 500k to buy a phone whereby next year I would want to change the phone again. Are these people not tired of data migration

And nobody shu quote me and be saying I haven’t reach there. Hasn’t Dangote too reach

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Luxury and Necessities

An iPhone is not for those who needs a phone it's for those who wants a phone. The users wants it not for how it can serve them as seen with various Chinese models, that you can get 8gig ram, 1terabyte rom and 5000 amp battery for less than 100k. But they want it for how it can add to them, their status and their ego. Sometimes you are so rich that luxuries become Necessities because you can afford it on a daily. The good looses it monetary value and you cannot do without it.

Now to obligations, Alms giving is of God. God will tell a person when and to whom he is to give alms. Nobody under any law in force in any part of the country is obligated to give alms.

In conclusion everything is based on perspective

62 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by GeoAfrikana(m): 11:56am On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:

You know it's a statement of fact........

No I don't.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Numismatic(m): 11:57am On Sep 29, 2019
If not because of our stupid economy, these phones aren't that expensive but for exchange rate. Imagine if 1$ is equals to say n100 naira, these phones would be quite affordable. Everything boils down to our shattered and battered economy

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 11:57am On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

No I don't.

Let's remain disagreed, but agree to part on this topic.....
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 11:59am On Sep 29, 2019
Timileyin1234:
But how does the phone reach 600k. 999£ not the starting price again.

Wait how can I use my own hand to work for 365 days. And after all I will now remove 500k to buy a phone whereby next year I would want to change the phone again. Are these people not tire of data migration

And nobody shu quote me and be saying I haven’t reach there. Hasn’t Dangote too reach

Why would dangote foolishly spend all that money building that refinery?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Biritiko: 11:59am On Sep 29, 2019
OP is dumb.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by wagazala: 12:04pm On Sep 29, 2019
@ OP, value and rationality are relative terms. What you see as value differs from another persons.

Your Google Pixel might also be considered as being irrational.

So there are several reasons i might want to buy a 600k for. Plus if 600k were to be .05% of your monthly income, would you bother?

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Timileyin1234(m): 12:04pm On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Why would dangote foolishly spend all that money building that refinery?
Is that ur justification?

That one na business concept. If there is no input, output is null

8 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Timileyin1234(m): 12:06pm On Sep 29, 2019
Na only Nigeria dem dey celebrate buying an iPhone

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 12:09pm On Sep 29, 2019
Timileyin1234:

Is that ur justification?

That one na business concept. If there is no input, output is null

Those spending 600K, might also have a business justification........

6 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by ArticleBeast: 12:13pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:
We work hard to earn money, so it's rational for us to spend our money on only products/services that (we believe) will add value to our lives.

Yesterday, I heard of a phone that costs #600k. The first question that came to my mind was:

Thanks.
For another person using a tecno or gionee may consider your Google pixel waste of money since his tecno can offer the same value.

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Timileyin1234(m): 12:15pm On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Those spending 600K, might also have a business justification........
Are u seriously serious?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by ZinoFasisi: 12:16pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Thanks.

If dangote buys that kind of phone will u call him irrational?

U choose to give ur money to charity because u derive a kind of satisfaction and self fulfilment from it not because u owe anybody a charity obligation (U owe nobody explanation on what u derive from charity).

I choose to spend my money on a luxury item and properties because i can afford it and still have more than enough. I buy luxury because it gives me a sense of self fulfilment and satisfaction (I owe nobody explanation on this).

Rationality is subjective, what is rational to u may not be rational to me and thats why we are humans.

Nobody owes nobody explanation on how they spend their money. I spend my money on what i deem fit not what any1 else deems fit for me cow u didn't make d money for me.

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 12:17pm On Sep 29, 2019
Timileyin1234:

Are u seriously serious?

The way you dress, is the way you would be addressed........

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Innjoo Max & Innjoo Max 2 Plus Official Discussion Thread / NCC Unveils New Unified Short Codes For All Mobile Networks In The Country / How To Check If Your Iphone Is New Or Refurbished

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.