Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders (61344 Views)

Buhari, His Wife, Aisha & Daughters Watch Election Activities After Voting / President Buhari & His Children, Hanan And Yusuf Buhari In Beautiful Photoshoot / Nnamdi Kanu Blasts Buhari, His Wife And Others In Fresh Broadcast From Israel. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by scholes0(m): 4:59am On Sep 30, 2019
grandstar:

There are a million and one products you excel in, why go pour money into something you suck at? The only way the country can ever produce rice is with a tariff in place. Take away the tariff and production collapses showing that it was built on a house on mud in the first place like we don't know.

Put energy into your strengths not weaknesses. Nigerians are being deprived of one of the benefits of international trade by these protectionist policies which are cheap goods.

Nigeria should not have a subsidy on fuel in the first place. If the price of fuel was deregulated, smuggling of it to Benin or anywhere in the world would benefit the country. The subsidy is the problem and not the smuggling.

Sorry sir, but you don't know what you are talking about.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by alphaNomega: 5:01am On Sep 30, 2019
Zeezxo:

You don't really read news.
You came from the Badagry Border and am also from there. Let call a spade spade. How will you feel if your Son is Stole your good and started selling it to your Customers at cheaper rate? Did you think those customers will even patronize you again.
Mind you am not 100% in support of the Closure of the border. Because it affects so many people in my area. But still let it affect us all. And remember no pain no gain.
A word is enough for the wise.
Thank you

Kindly explain who is stealing from who? Remember these importer/smugglers used to bring these goods directly to Nigeria but the useless government decided to ban them. That created the chain of events that led to what is happening today and it will get worse. The final stage is a depopulation of the country when people realise they can no longer get what they want but this is the long term plan by niggers in charge. When you are gone, they take over your landed assets and begin to establish their style of government.

I apologize for speaking a bit off point and you may not understand me.
Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by ZaraGift: 5:03am On Sep 30, 2019
romenna:
Benin and Niger are not Nigerian states or an extension of Nigeria.
You people are on your own as a sovereign nation.
Blame your irresponsible govt for trying to destroy our economy.
Buhari pls proceed to cut off electricity supply to these parasites too, we need to be self sufficient before doing give-away.
Enough is enough

Someone from Niger republic or Chad can easily get position or favour from Nigerian government than you from the South.
Just like the Fulani government chased the Ghanaian out of Nigeria in 1983, they can NEVER do that to the people from the Sahel.
Buhari is just diverting the illegal business to his brothers from the Sahel. they work hand and hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrWlM_-R5P4

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by alphaNomega: 5:11am On Sep 30, 2019
Dee60:
BENIXIT or NAIJAXIT or what do we call this one?

Tomato is not the problem. if you want we will give you some tradermoni.

The problem is oyel - Too many billionaires who cannot manufacture ordinary pin or toothpick will lift oyel, collect subsidy and just move it accross the border where they will rake 200% profit. Haba...

The same people will now be flaunting their rolls royce as if they did anything good to make the money..Haba

oyel and raisi are the problems bro.

That was how they do during the oil subsidy era, you are right!

This change era calls subsidy "under recovery" and it is the exact same practice only that government now pays under recovery money to NNPC since they are the sole importer of products. The real question is, who are the people collecting this money in the name of NNPC? The fraud to be unveiled in this light is going to be earth shattering.
Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by alphaNomega: 5:13am On Sep 30, 2019
owolabi5:
Say No to Smuggling!

Say no to poor leadership! Read my previous posts on this thread.
Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by adenigga(m): 5:16am On Sep 30, 2019
godwinkessi:
So does it mean our government are doing their own form of xenophobic attacks on other Africans?

No, this has nothing to do with xenophobia. It is purely economy. Those countries government should tighten their own end. Smugglers paid taxes running into million of dollars to their government but smuggled those products into Nigeria without paying a dime. So, action needs to be taken!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by Mccullum: 5:17am On Sep 30, 2019
gunuvi:
I am not against border closure but it will be very evil for Buhari to close the southern borders and not close the northern borders. Meanwhile our government's should be ashamed for the smuggling activities going on at our borders or what are we paying the border securities agencies for?
I tire for this country.

He didn't closed border as being misunderstood, the order is full enforcement of ECOWAS protocol that is if your documents are ok for you and your goods such person free without hindrance and it affected both Northern and Southern frontiers to our neighbouring countries, even katsina which is Buhari's state of origin also affected as his state shares Border with Niger.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by Ayanfeoluxyz(f): 5:18am On Sep 30, 2019
realstars:
4+4 Buhari's next level of hunger is loading... This time he will make it across the whole west African nations in the next four years, after signing agreement with the neighboring countries. This is just the beginning of the next level things.
Hmmm! see weird reasoning oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by alphaNomega: 5:19am On Sep 30, 2019
romenna:
Benin and Niger are not Nigerian states or an extension of Nigeria.
You people are on your own as a sovereign nation.
Blame your irresponsible govt for trying to destroy our economy.
Buhari pls proceed to cut off electricity supply to these parasites too, we need to be self sufficient before doing give-away.
Enough is enough

This is the second person saying cutoff electricity and I must chip this in.

Nigeria cannot just "cutoff" the electricity it supplies to neighboring countries because of an agreement signed that mandates Nigeria to supply these nations with power from Kainji dam.

Initially each of these countries would have built their own dams on the same river and that would negatively affect the downstream flow in Nigeria, thus making it economically stupíd to build a dam large enough to supply us alone. It just would not work. See if you can read this up elsewhere as my eyes are hurting and I cannot type much.

What I'm trying to say is, if they had built their own dams on the River Niger, our dam would be useless to us.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by alphaNomega: 5:22am On Sep 30, 2019
saajus:
I still believe our long term solution is to remove the subsidy. I know this will be painful and the Poor will suffer it more. Why should Davido, Otedola and Dangote be fueling their cars with subsidized fuel. They are rich enough to pay for non-subsidized fuel. Govt should create a Tax return system. Everybody will pay for non-subsidized fuel and by the end of the year when we show our annual income, the Govt will refund some money to low income earners that deserve subsidy.

Story. It is like asking a toddler to discuss an undergraduate level economics topic.
Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by ZaraGift: 5:23am On Sep 30, 2019
Wickedtruths:

Let me indulge you a bit by clearing you.

That boy said southern borders should not be closed without northern borders being closed. I told him both were closed. Now, you saying the northern border was partially closed is because you didn't understand the basis of the argument.

The intention of closing the borders is because of 3 things. Rice, Poultry and Petrol.

Rice and Poultry - Benin. Prevention of entry
Petrol - Niger. Prevention of exit.

If you need further clarification, be my guest.

The Border in the North where terrorists boko haram and Fulani bandits move freely, boko haram patrol with their armored tank got closed?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by Area4Area: 5:25am On Sep 30, 2019
ORIENTATION101:
Leeches .these idiots are even asking for petrol we pay biliions naira to subsidize monthly.
Buhari is not asking for too much , control smuggling ,and dumping of fake substandard goods to Nigeria and the border will be open for business.
Benin and Niger republic importers pay billions of dollars annually to their respective government on Rice only. 90% of the imported rice re free smuggled in to Nigeria without tax.

We can't continue to be Big Brother when we have our own problems too.
Economic relationship show be scratch my back ,I scratch yours.what re u bringing to the table for Nigeria to benefit from .

You are one of the very few that actually understand what's going and the implications on our economy and not these lazy Nigerian yoots that I'm reading their uninformed posts as to why the government should open the borders and allow smuggling to continue.

Let those Benin traders cry more and they should blame their government for not doing enough to curb smuggling, they all enjoyed it and Nigerians suffered it while it lasted, no more big brother and Africa first, it is Nigeria first now

2 Likes

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by Eteka1(m): 5:29am On Sep 30, 2019
gunuvi:
I am not against border closure but it will be very evil for Buhari to close the southern borders and not close the northern borders. Meanwhile our government's should be ashamed for the smuggling activities going on at our borders or what are we paying the border securities agencies for?
I tire for this country.
Niger border which has also been closed is in the east abi?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by Area4Area: 5:31am On Sep 30, 2019
seunny4lif:
Close the border jooor
Not just close it but tighten the borders more to teach those leeches some lessons, imagine same people leeching on our economy will still have the guts to call us names tomorrow

2 Likes

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by Mac2016(m): 5:31am On Sep 30, 2019
Nigeria has boundary problems that we ourselves are the cause of. Benin Republic is smuggling in goods taxed on their soil into Nigeria with the help of our own customs also who help Nigerians smuggle out many of our subsidized petroleum products? Na still Nigerian customs that's why they are inordinately rich especially the ones at our international borders. You need to see the tussle in office to get posted to international borderlines as customs officers.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by alphaNomega: 5:33am On Sep 30, 2019
Bsmartt:
I hope the Government are working on a sustainable solution to smuggling in the borders. This is a collective responsibilities of the countries involved.

Increase the excise duties of rice, frozen poultry products and vegetable oil. Boom!!! The importers of such smuggled items will have a rethink and seek other legitimate channel ASAP.

But was that not the status quo? Albeit without the high excuse duties of rice, frozen turkey etc

The reason our government banned these products earlier was because they are the ones who own the large farms that should produce these items we were importing. All the large farms in the country are owned by politicians. They do not make policies that benefit the ordinary Nigerian farmer because in business they don't want competition.

This is why they make business difficult hard for a local farmer who wants to expand. Have you ever tried to export any agricultural produce from this country? There is no way you would understand me if you have not or maybe had a discussion with a farmer who has tried. You will be frustrated by customs until your goods perish/rotten/decay...mind you I said EXPORT, not even import that we are talking about smugglers.

We had been importing the things jejely in the past, paying duties/bribes where we can, smuggling the little that could be smuggled. Because demand from/patronage of the politicians' farm was low, they decided to ban the items we import to force us to patronise them. What then happens? BOOM, smuggling goes over the roof!.... It's a long story and my eyes hurt, I wish I could continue.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by Dlaw1982: 5:34am On Sep 30, 2019
My fervent prayer is that other countries should close their border so that we cannot export crude oil then Nigeria government will be forced to do the needful.
Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by ehisbaba: 5:34am On Sep 30, 2019
if you read the context properly, you would have noticed the plead is not for Nigerian benefits but Benin personal and selfish interest. what do you want Buhari to do here.;
1. we cry made in nigerian products are not be patronized, now he wants that to happen you cry.
2. the borders are leaking and the Benin govt doesn't want to take responsibility because it favours their economy but our economy is bleeding.
3.Must of you are so blinded with HATE and don't see, read through this post we make the countries economy boom while your own problem is rice.
4. electricity we don't have enough it's been transferred to Benin.
5. fuel that hasn't been sufficient for our country is been smuggled out to benin.
6. we as youth should think deeply before we shout out HATE,..
This is economy that is been talked about not Tasha of BBN

realstars:
4+4 Buhari's next level of hunger is loading... This time he will make it across the whole west African nations in the next four years, after signing agreement with the neighboring countries. This is just the beginning of the next level things.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by alphaNomega: 5:36am On Sep 30, 2019
tegrianonigltd:

Have you passed the border before?? Then you will know they are not our problem, we are our problem, excuse naim buhari Dey find.. in Togo you can’t buy drugs without prescription? Things are orderly, same as other nation, Nigeria is loosed, we are our problem abeg, buhari and con keep blaming, Jonathan can’t be blamed again, now blaming Small nations wey no reach 2 milliin, with continued drugs in Mexico and co, America will not close border, why? They can’t.. Nigeria just last visionarians as leaders, example, if you arrange your home well, your neighbor will respect you and use you as example to others, they won’t set boundaries, from Togo to Seme border, this people have smooth road with lights, I drover at 11:30pm from Togo got to seme early morning last year waka waka, I enjoyed the road trip, when I got to Nigeria, the first thing na one big pot hole, beg beg immigration and customs, na Nigeria customs Dey allow these smuggglers to pass. Abi them wan leave Benin customs pass Nigeria own free, we hae Customs, bribing

Thank you one hundred times! You sharey thoughts on this too

1 Like

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by alphaNomega: 5:38am On Sep 30, 2019
GidiWoodsMan:
If Benin is this dependent on Nigeria (especially in relation to smuggled rice and pms) then maybe the border shouldn't exist afterall & Benin ought to be Nigeria's 37th state.

Or we could work out more equitable terms of trade, e.g. let them peg their pms pump price to Nigeria's, place a ban on imported rice too, etc, etc.

What makes imported rice bad? Why do you think it was banned?

If you have the time to review my previous posts in this thread, feel free to do so.
Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by alphaNomega: 5:40am On Sep 30, 2019
adecz:

APC and blame game...

Are we saying we no longer have
Customs Service & other security
agencies at our borders?

Instead of finding ways to stop Fulani, Boko
Haram weapons, vehicles & fighters
entering this country, we are concentrating
on stopping food when we aren't
producing enough.

Buhari loves to see people suffering
& wailing.

Nigerians love to see each other suffering!

1 Like

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by alphaNomega: 5:42am On Sep 30, 2019
Cameroonglass:
This is Buhari's only achievement

How is this retrogressive decision an achievement? Nigeria is so bad now that her citizens cannot identify a detriment policy when it passed/enforced.

Incandescent:
This is the best thing Buhari has done since 2015

Stop saying this

Go through my posts in this thread.

1 Like

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by Qoko: 5:42am On Sep 30, 2019
blueghost:
Closing border and signing the trade pact
Like seriously why the contradictions

Does it mean we shd allow them moved in substandard goods illegally without custom duty? They can as well moved their goods through water & pay duties to us but they used to be jamtalk that their country is better each time we went to buy cars and forgotten that they only had friendly & subsidized duties on imported goods, they shd eat their imported goods & we need to support our local made goods & farm products. Meanwhile our govt shd reduce the custom duty too. Chikena.
Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by alphaNomega: 5:44am On Sep 30, 2019
chinchum:
This is a theoretical statement that is not practicable. We will never have enough sustainable alternative as long as smuggling persists. Tiny Benin republic is the second largest importer of RIce in the world, much of that is planned to be exported via smuggling to Nigeria.

@bolded, I hope you know why.
Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by alphaNomega: 5:46am On Sep 30, 2019
Quality20:
Many ppl esp d illiterate and semi- literate segment don't seem to know d impact of smuggling

So why did your government fuel it by banning goods?
Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by alphaNomega: 5:47am On Sep 30, 2019
bejick:

Cos our duty is high if not same people will import directly from abroad. They do so cos it comes In at a cheaper rate.

Thank you. Nigerians are a problem to themselves
Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by vineyardfarms: 5:48am On Sep 30, 2019
[quote author=Fariq post=82692062]http://ob360media.com/africa/benin-republic-laments-nigerian-border-closure?fbclid=IwAR3hVjbCafy3TfQLnKNmmyXFkX-qSlUi4vXh8czSO5jeRyLaYcNo1Hj64Xg

PMB IS COMING OUT OF THE SPELLS OF THE EVIL CABALS. GOD BLESS YOU. PROCEED TO CUT OFF ELECTRICITY TO BOTH COUNTRIES AND STABILIZED OUR COUNTRY FIRST. DEAL WITH THE DISCOS WHO ARE SABOTUARS
Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by Area4Area: 5:49am On Sep 30, 2019
grandstar:

What is wrong in being the 6th largest or even the largest importer of rice in the world? Nothing if the situation calls for it.

Benin and Niger aren't the biggest losers from this border closure. It is Nigeria.

Nigeria does not have a problem with growing rice. Nigeria can even produce enough rice to feed the whole of Africa. Nigeria does not have a production problem.

However, the country has an economic problem with rice production. Nigeria lacks comparative advantage in rice production. We can't produce it cheaply like Thailand, Vietnam and India, the only 3 countries that have comparative advantage in rice production, the 2nd largest consumed grain in the world. The first is wheat. Nigeria therefore will be a net importer of the stuff.

The only way Nigeria can be self sufficient s by a ban. Assuming the imported stuff is 11,000 and the locally imported one is 17,000, a ban makes the imported one unavailable and people have no option but to purchase the locally produced one for 17,000. The question I want to ask you is how does paying 17,000 for something that was previously 11,000 actually help the average Nigerian? Maybe there may be some poor housewives out there who don't mind paying 17,000 for something that was formerly 11,000 but majority will frown at it! grin

Countries do best when they focus resources on areas they have comparative advantage. The British tried to encourage local farmers to produce rice but they were disinterested. They preferred cocoa, palm oil, rubber and so forth and that was what the country was re-known for. Palm oil was Nigeria's rice while rice was Thailand's palm oil. Nigerians still call this the golden era.

Do you know Thailand exports $1.8b worth of farmed shrimps yearly? Whay can't Nigeria export $2b worth of farmed snails for instance or $500m worth of grasscutters? It is estimated that sheabutter if well harnessed can bring in as much as $2b yearly as exports.

Imports are not the problem. They are even good for you. America found out that for every 1 cent reduction in import duty, it earned 3 cents in taxes in the wider economy. If import duties are low and trade is booming, does the money not trickle down? Don't you see people making money? High import duty achieves the opposite

Everything you wrote made no sense and no based on logic but I'd focus on your last paragraph, why has the American government increasing tariffs on imports from Mexico, Canada, EU countries, China, Japan etc and the American economy is booming now with one of the lowest unemployment in their economic history

1 Like

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by Boyooosa(m): 5:50am On Sep 30, 2019
blueghost:
Closing border and signing the trade pact
Like seriously why the contradictions
Read this and learn fast...

Buhari defended the closure by saying Benin and Niger — Nigeria’s neighbour to the northeast — had failed to police their borders properly, and chronic smuggling was the result.

1 Like

Re: Buhari & His Country Want To Put An End To Us - Benin Republic Traders by Nobody: 5:51am On Sep 30, 2019
Ishilove:
These countries need to get creative about solving their own issues. How can they still be so heavily dependent on other countries for survival?

This is the same story of a lot of our political elite na. Their survival is heavily dependent on govt patronage. How many people were hoping on the PID scam to fall through? We may never know.

The same thing will happen to Nigeria eventually. Love or hate Buhari, he is trying to force through some hard choices that will benefit us all in the long run. Right on this forum you can see ‘successful’ jokers whose whole income is based on smuggling goods into this country. So many industries are dead because of smuggling. There is so much rubbish in this country today. Did you go to boarding school? Those galvanized steel buckets we used are no more. Today we have imported iron buckets that rust in 6 months. I found this out when we identified a problem with fire buckets in our stations. That is how some joker importers destroyed an entire industry. We have a whole class of hustlers heavily dependent on importing to survive, Nigeria’s true economy and future be damned.

5 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Inside Yahaya Bello's Multi-Billion Naira Mansion By TheNigeriaTimes.com / Full Report Of Peter Obi & Labour Party's Petition To Elections Tribunal / Kemi Adeosun Resigns Over NYSC Certificate Scandal - Daily Trust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.