Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,289 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis (2285 Views)

Missing Budget: I Propose A Mental Checkup For Some Of Our Senators – Obasanjo / Katsina Stoning: Niger Delta “ll Retaliate, Says Dokubo Asari / Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by damosky(m): 9:11pm On May 18, 2007
I sympathize with the plight of those in the niger delta. but the persistent kiddnappings and militant attacks are having a negative effect on the country as a whole and on the world. (have you paid for gas in recent times in the western states). there has been a thread as to the good or bad of the movement of the emacipation of the niger delta. however, i have not seen any constructive proposed solution of great minds that could be implemented to solve the problem.
with the current situation, things do not seem to improve and no side seems to be winning the battle, the government certainly cannot claim victory and the militants can not boast of such either. the situation is degenerating.

thus, the reason for this thread should be to create a collective body of reasonable, genuine, intelligent, possible/do-able solution to the crisis of the niger delta. you never know who could be reading!

lets hear your solution!
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by doyin13(m): 9:39pm On May 18, 2007
give total control to the niger deltans of their resources.

And i am not from the Niger delta
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by naijaway(m): 12:05am On May 19, 2007
Citizens of Nigeria residing in the Nigerian state of Niger-Delta should be encouraged to go to school and education should be free for anyone living in those areas. Development and investments should be encouraged there with a mentality of diversity and national intrest. The government of Nigeria needs to start being a united and responsible government in order to have a ripple effect of change and responsibility on citizens regardless of your location. The notion of giving the people of Niger-delta the sole control of a national natural resources should not be nutured in any way or form because it will lead to unseen and long term repacautions. It will nuture the idea of a breakaway zone and cause harm for generations to come. We cannot have a Taiwan in Nigeria.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by Nobody: 12:15am On May 19, 2007
naijaway:

Citizens of Nigeria residing in the Nigerian state of Niger-Delta should be encouraged to go to school and education should be free for anyone living in those areas. Development and investments should be encouraged there with a mentality of diversity and national intrest. The government of Nigeria needs to start being a united and responsible government in order to have a ripple effect of change and responsibility on citizens regardless of your location. The notion of giving the people of Niger-delta the sole control of a national natural resources should not be nutured in any way or form because it will lead to unseen and long term repacautions. It will nuture the idea of a breakaway zone and cause harm for generations to come. We cannot have a Taiwan in Nigeria.

The problem with the Niger Delta is not a lack of schools!
Why should the notion of giving the people of niger delta their RIGHTS to absolute control of their God-given resources lead to unforseen repercussions? There are 50 states in the USA, each having complete control over their resources and NONE is threatening to break away

The "we cannot have a taiwan in Nigeria" excuse is a well worn indolent statement. It is against international human rights to force a people to live in a country they clearly do not feel a part of. If by allowing fiscal federalism enables groups like the niger delta to break away then so be it. The rest of us should learn to generate our own resources and stop feeding fat on the sweat of others.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by debosky(m): 12:27am On May 19, 2007
what scares people IMO is what this 'control' would entail

presently they 'control' 13% of the wealth exclusively, combined with their allocations from the federation account, this would total approximately 25% i.e 9 oil producing states getting 12% of the national allocation. The figure is probably higher than this but follow my reasoning. If this 25% was effectively raised to say 60% then you can effectively say that they are 'in control' of their resources.

The problem in my view is the actual devolution of this control - the current system based on giving state governments the 13% they currently enjoy doesn't seem to be working too well - either because the governments are corrupt, or other unseen factors. Do you give the income from the oil (which is what 'control' essentially means in this case since the ND states in themselves lack the technical/organisational ability to run the industry at present) on a family, clan, village or LGA level? the corruption even at the LG level is said to be much worse than what obtains at higher levels. I am not too sure that this would necessarily solve the problem - just taking the money from one set of corrupt people and giving it to another.

my conclusion is this:

ND people should first and foremost agitate to raise derivation levels to a minimum of 25% growing to 50% in say 10 years to allow other regions sort themselves out.

Secondly there must be a significantly higher level of probity and accountability in the ND states themselves - Rivers alone got over 300billion in 8 years. are the results on ground commensurate with that figure?

militants fighting for release of Alams after all the harm he caused the state with stolen money is not only stupid, it shows that they lack true purpose
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by naijaway(m): 12:44am On May 19, 2007
@davidlyan, the people from the Nigerian state of Niger-Delta are the mostly the ones in control of their resources but militant activities are making the results visible. Yes the government is also involved in the contracts and other contracts in other natural resources. Abia state and some other states have oil controlled by the federal government. In Nigeria, the government controls the natural resources beginning from the state government so is almost the same as America. The issue is that some elements in the Niger-delta are trying and beginning a propaganda aimed at making that area a country. It would not be a good idea for u to try crossing the river niger either going to the east or the west and have to show ur passport or else u get arrested. This is an iota of the long term repacaution. And moreover we'r all blacks and should with the help of the government diversify. The evidence of the result might not be now but in future and it is way better than isolation and any form of a breakaway. Lagos, port harcourt, jos, abuja, benin, etc are being diverisified and that should be encouraged. In the united states, people of all colors live together and call it one and nigeria with one skin should and must try everything in her power to do the same. This would be a bad idea to other African nations at a time ECOWAS is getting a thumbs up all over the region. The current applications being used are oviously not working but for sure it is not the government's fault alone it is 60% government and 40% elements but may I remind u that the percentage fluctuates.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by naijaway(m): 12:47am On May 19, 2007
@ davidlyan, I meant the people from the Nigerian state of Niger-Delta are the mostly the ones in control of their resources but militant activities are NOT making the results visible.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by Nobody: 12:52am On May 19, 2007
debosky:

what scares people IMO is what this 'control' would entail

What truly "scares" people is the loss of access to free money that would result when the ND takes full control of their resources.

debosky:

my conclusion is this:

ND people should first and foremost agitate to raise derivation levels to a minimum of 25% growing to 50% in say 10 years to allow other regions sort themselves out.

We all know this is as good as dreaming. We were all witnesses to the actions of certain sections of the country to the demand for a 25% minimum derivation at the last national political reform conference. Even the 13% derivation was won on the back of the uncompromising stand of the south. To assume that this would increase to 50% in the next 100yrs is wishful thinking.

debosky:

Secondly there must be a significantly higher level of probity and accountability in the ND states themselves - Rivers alone got over 300billion in 8 years. are the results on ground commensurate with that figure?

How can there be probity when the man who actually pulls the strings is in Abuja? When people are forced to go begging for their own resources what do you expect them to do? I do not absolve the ND officials of corruption but the truth is no matter how much money Rivers state got as revenue, they are merely puppets in the hands of the masters at aso rock.

debosky:

militants fighting for release of Alams after all the harm he caused the state with stolen money is not only stupid, it shows that they lack true purpose

they had purpose until they realised the only thing government understands is violence.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by Nobody: 12:55am On May 19, 2007
naijaway:

@ davidlyan, I meant the people from the Nigerian state of Niger-Delta are the mostly the ones in control of their resources but militant activities are NOT making the results visible.

the millitants are the ones who cut off Bayelsa from the national grid? Were they the ones who demolished Odi, all ND roads, encouraged gas flaring, and impoverished their people?
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by naijaway(m): 1:04am On May 19, 2007
yep
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by doyin13(m): 9:36pm On May 19, 2007
Davidylan apart from wishing me starvation in our other skirmishes, i am rounly in agreement with u on this matter.

I know it might be a bit arbitrary but I envisage that an immediate raise of the allocation to at least thirty per cent or thereabouts should assuage some of the current greivances. But this should be an effort towards giving full control (100%) to the indigenes of the Niger Delata. I find it very condescending to the people of the Niger Delta the excuse that if they are given full control, it will be frittered away. The point is it is the property of that people to waste as it wishes, and if we express concern about the possibility of wastage, such concerns should come after full control has been given to the people who own the resources. Come to think of it how successful have the so callled guarantors of this resource been in utilising the fruits of other people's lands.

As a Yoruba man I feel very appalled that my region of the country should depend on OTHER people's property for its own deelopment. Besides it doesn't make any economic sense the way this whole thing is managed. Why build refineries in Kaduna and a LNG facility in the West at greater economic cost. It is madness. Bereft of this FREE resource, the free rider states will buckle up and find other means of revenue generation, and we will surely be better off than we are presently.

First I am sure the Gombes, kebbi, Taraba, Zamfara, Katsina, Adamawa in the North, Rivers, Ebonyi, Osun, kogi's of the South will lose their reason for existence. The onus will be on the rest of Nigeria to move to the Niger Delta if they want to make money from oil not vice versa. That should be the only manner in which OTHER NIGERIANS SHOULD EXPLOIT THE RESOURCE.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by ubamu2029: 10:44pm On May 19, 2007
Beat, spank, trash and flog them randomly, in no particular order.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by ijogbon(m): 11:24pm On May 19, 2007
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Let us stop pretending that the problem of the Niger Delta is anything but an attempt to unjustly enrich oneself from the proceeds of Oil. Be it the corrupt government officials or the MILITANTS.

I lived in the ND for about 6years and I know for a fact that there is entrenched a way of life surrounding the current situation. Unfortunately, people have adapted their lifestyles to take advantage of the unwholesome situation.

As it stands any solution for the Niger Delta would have to start first of all with the total and unconditional dismantling of the militant movement infrastructure. Otherwise they will overun any regional government (for people advocating full control of resources or autonomy).

Also, I know that we Nigerians are always quick to criticise the central government but I wonder what exactly is the job of a state governor when he cannot impact on the lives of his people. What are the governors of the ND doing? At least I can count the things that OBJ has done as President, what have the governors contributed, what have the Senators and house of rep members brought to their constituencies? People fail to realise that most of the things they are complaining about are really within the purview of these incompetents. Look at it this way - When we were all in primary school we had Class teachers, subject teachers, head of departments and the Head teacher. If you had a problem you went to see your class teacher who then assessed the situation. If it was academic the relevant subject teacher would be consulted and if the problem was administrative the correct administrative officer would be consulted. Now many of us scarcely remember who our head teacher was or what they looked like. The same should be the practise in the administration of our country.

So first of all stop the militant action by all means necessary.
Second, introduce us to the legislators and executives from these areas.
Thirdly, focus the searchlight on these fellows and hold them accountable for delivering dividends of democracy to their people.
Fourth, draw up a time-bound, responsibilities assigned, achievable plan for the region and implement it strictly.

I think that is what is needed all over Nigeria and not only in the Niger delta. We need to hold our local (MP's) o sorry, legislators and executives accountable, because frankly I don't know what they are doing.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by doyin13(m): 12:06am On May 20, 2007
@Ijogbon

I maintain that the crucial point is not discovering the sphere of responsibility for any current or prior mismanagement.

The cardinal point is that while we search to our heart's desire, non Niger Deltans will be getting 80% of what is not theirs. That is what is at issue here.

It is to quote a late Western(Nigeria that is) politician 'PENKELEMES'. A most peculiar mess.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by Backslider(m): 4:59pm On May 20, 2007
@ Davidylan and doyin

I must say that you have fired a populist shot in the heart of the matter.

I used to have this thought that "Oh since the Niger deltans want their Resources in their hand WE SHOULD GIVE IT TO THEM"

But reason was given to me when one of my friend told me to stop it Right there. He reminded me of when some of the people went to SCHOOL ON COCOA SCHOLARSHIPS AND OTHER VARIOUS SCHOLARSHIPS BY NIGERIA.

This my Friend is a mixture of Niger Delta and Yoruba.

They were people from the North and south that feed Nigerian and they paid taxes. Is it now that we discovered oil that we should tell them they are not needed?

Remember Bui and Kainji Dams People from Igala and from the middle belt should not cannot benefit from their brothers blessing?

Yes i agree that The people have been cheated as a result of evil leaders that abandoned them but should all the people in the North pay for this?

Is that Just ?

What if The north found something that is worth more than Oil what should they do. Why is it all about Money and resources.

IT IS LIKE YOUR MOTHER TELL YOUR BROTHERS WHAT YOUR FATHER MAKES AS SALARY AND LEAVES IT AT THAT ALONE.

I am sad that people in the Niger delta have been used and are being used but we must stand as one to solve the cheat nothing else.

Our Hatred has gone from worse to bad.

Texaco Oil from Texas Pay taxes to the federal account

supposing we have WARRICO WHO WILL GET THE OIL CAN THE PEOPLE IN WARRI HANDLE THE VERY TECHNICAL ISSUES AND STILL PAY TAXES TO FEDERAL GOVERNMENT?

The solution to the problem is to have a MARSHALL PLAN LIKE YARDUA SAID.

WHERE THE GOVERNMENT THE ARMY AND THE WHOLE NATION WILL FOCUS ALL ITS MIGHT AND STRENGTH ON THE NIGER DELTA.

Houses( new Cities)
Roads
under ground subways
shopping complexes
power plants ( this is already been done)
Petroleum Refining schools
PETROLEUM UNIVERSITIES ( CONVERT ABRACA and UNICAL etc)

We need to give ourselves a Chance and I know that God has his reason of keep us as Nigeria.

Imagine if the north discover URANIUM IN A VERY VERY BIGGER QUANTITY THAN WHAT THEY HAVE NOW you can Imagine if they also went the Niger delta way what would happen.

"WE KNOW IN PART"
Let us speak with love and care for others.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by doyin13(m): 6:38pm On May 20, 2007
@Backslider

I am not against paying taxes to the federation account if other states will do the same. Or else how will the Federal government run itself.

I also envisage that in any future arrangement due to the impoverished state of vast swathes of the North , they will require SOME assistance.
But handing hand and foot 10% of the federal revenue to Kano, a figure that is incommensurate with its productive capacity is madness, and economic stupidity aside of the injustice of it all.

The money will only be used to perpetuate useless bureaucracies and phantom workers in non functional entities.

I'd rather have one region of the country with a lot of money where we can collect ouselves rather than for the whole country to be in a perilous state. The latter will only lead to the end of the country anyway.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by gisaa(m): 7:27pm On May 20, 2007
Personally i felt that the only solutions to the ND wala is dat:

(i) Let the Federal Government call a round table confrences which would ve d militants,the oil coy,the elders and all the most concern people within the area,and then show they coy and everyone there want is obtain, in other places or country where oil are be explore.most expecially the area development and then instruct the oil coy SAME THING SHOULD BE APPLICABLE IN WITHIN SOME PERIOD OF TIME OR ELSE THE GOVT WE WITHDRAW THERE LINCENCES OF OPERATION.

(ii)All the state govt should build more school there and make it free for all.,and everybody most be force to be school.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by shango(m): 7:31pm On May 20, 2007
let them for their own country. AND NOT BIAFRA, but Delta or something. Cuz lets face it being from the Niger Delta is not the same as being from Igboland no matter what so called wannabe Biafrans claim

Nigeria as one united country is a pipe dream. Give it time, it will soon be no more

There are hundreds of countries without a drop of oil that are world powers, and are formidable nations. Contrary to what Northerners will claim since they have offered nothing to the country but a steady line of dictators and military strongmen
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by Nobody: 8:12pm On May 20, 2007
@ backslider
You have said a lot but it does not make economic sense, infact it flies in the face of true federalism. This attitude of "i fed you before so i deserve a share of your own food" will lead us no where but down the road to poverty, laziness and our present mono-economy.

We have all become lazy since there is free money flowing from the ND. Agriculture has virtually collapsed, the mineral sector is in the hands of thieves and illegal miners, nothing is coming in from tourism simply because we are now used to accepting stupendous handouts from the impoverished ND.
I am not against paying taxes, if the North found uranium in large quantities tomorrow i will be the first to shout hallelujah, it will mean the end of having a non porductive section of the nation continue feeding fat on our resources.

Why do you think western countries without oil are doing better than us? Even Ghana has a stronger economy ditto with Botswana and they dont have as much free oil money as we have. No one is bothering to develop other means of generating revenue that would inadvertently lead to more jobs and increase the standard of living because whether Kano generates #1million naira or 10 kobo it is still guaranteed 10% of the federal allocation!
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by ijogbon(m): 10:57pm On May 20, 2007
@Backslider
I couldnt have said it much better myself. People fail to realise that in every country there are such issues to contend with. Has anybody really thought about what they are saying?
Because the Oil comes from the Niger delta you should give them autonomy?
Well as I said before the issue is not about autonomy or not. The issue is about corrupt leaders period.
Corrupt leadership at the federal level, state level and local level.
I wondered aloud before - what are the governors and legislators from these ends doing? If Lagos can generate N5billion worth of internal revenue a month (fact) I am wondering what the hell is going on in the Niger delta.

The federal government takes care of the broad issues, the state government and local government should lets the impact of these broad issues be felt. These people collect so much money yet there is nothing they can show for it. Odili has 2 private jets, 4 helicopters, a purported airline, hospitals in South Africa (The fool why not Nigeria) and numerous other investments. Alams, for Christ sake he is a bail jumper, a common cross dressing criminal who uses 1 million GBP to prop up his saging midriff in bed recovering from a cosmetic surgery. Ibori? Do you even want me to start?

With leaders like these who needs the federal government bad guys. Are you Niger deltans really enthusiastic about being left to leaders like these, can you really deal with these kind of leaders? If these people controlled the whole revenue from the Niger delta tut tut we no go get anything left.

For people who think because the Niger delta has oil they should seceed well know that nothing lasts forever. The great pyramids of groundnut and the Agricultural dexterity of the North sustained this nation for well over 100 years before Oil was found 1800-1900. Look where they are now? The Oil in the Niger delta is finite. So beware what you ask for.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
-John Donne.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by naijaway(m): 3:43am On May 21, 2007
@shango, ur views is really not a feasible solution. Nigeria will survive as one and matter of fact expand whether u'r dead or alive. There's nothing like give them this and that afterall are they are all Nigerians. A lot of niger-deltans don't want to imagine that they 'r not part of Nigeria. I don't know where u reside but in Naija, ur views will not be taken into account cuz of future repacautions. And whether u like it or not a lot of igbos live and have lived in those areas for a very long time and whether u like it or not west Africa will experience a very complex demography especially now that naija is getting richer and richer.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by adconline(m): 4:31am On May 21, 2007
I wonder why some Nigerians get ratty whenever resource control is mentioned. If Nigeria has managed these resources and they have not benefited the region nay Nigeria, why can’t we try some other ways- maybe- resource control? Why do we as a nation continuously walk on failure routes even when its glaring that there is now way?

It looks that we do not know that Northern Nigeria feeds the whole nation. -Tomatoes, yams, onions, fish etc come from the north. Imagine what happens when the Govt uses land tenure act to seize all the land in north and say to these farmers - produce for the whole nation, but we give you 13% of the produce. 

Let's us apply 13% derivation in all strata of our economic pursuits and see who would oblige to it. Oil is good for Nigerians so long as it does not come from backyard or my rivers are not polluted.  Money from groundnut, palm oil and cocoa was not used to develop Nigeria, but was used to develop all three regions. The amount of development witnessed by Nigeria in those times has not been replicated thereafter. Govts takes over your land, business and gives you 13% of the profit.

Lagos can sufficiently fund itself without oil money. Likewise Anambra. This will also stop jobless people from going into politics. Let Nigeria be a tax driven economy where there is representation in polity by taxation. ND should generate more money and pay more taxes.  Nigeria provides the infrastructure for drilling and exploration and charges for such services.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by dazangel11(f): 5:46am On May 21, 2007
The Governors of the ND states are the people pulling the region backward. Imagine that 3 of the worst governors in Nigeria are from ND. Alams for example receives money from FG, throws a party and moves to London to bank the remaining ones. He stays there for almost 15days till another Federal alocation comes up.

Let me not mention Delta State, Rivers, Akwa-ibom ,Edo (probably the worst) and Abia State. I think the problem is from these states because if the allocation and the 13% they get from the FG is used on these states, a significant progress would be made.

Nigerians holds the Federal government responsible for every problem. If you are watching the news you will always here them say "We call on the FG to come to our rescue" even if it is a state govt. road tht is bad.

My proposed solution is that ND should get a ministry of thier own in the FG cabinet. then this Ministry will oversee how the Governors spend the money given to them. And if progress is made with the little they are getting, then they percentage will increase gradually untill it targets to 50%.

In the case of the millitants: They should be disharmed as quick a possible to enable a smooth development of the region.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by stranger12: 11:09am On May 21, 2007
this is just a curious question.
if I am a ND indigen and an oil rig is to be built on my land

Whose oil is it?

mine (land owner)?
my family?
my community?
my village?
my Local Government?
my State Government?
or my country?

I ask this questions because Niger Delta wants a greater control of the revenue from oil and I was wondering the best way to actually make their wish come true without any bloodshed.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by AngeeAngee(f): 11:20am On May 21, 2007
mere electrical power so that can people live better and work more efficiency
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by Backslider(m): 3:12pm On May 21, 2007
@ADC

Very Well, you have said well but listen very well. The farmers of the areas you mentioned were taxed. Infact some were robbed and duped. And they are still been duped.

I wonder where in those lands is there development you are talking about. Can you live in Minna or other parts the North?

There are people that are dying of curable diseases in the north. The diseases in the north will make you cry for them as the money that has been released has been used for other things by the Parasitic Elites.

You must know that the masses in those places farmed and feed Nigeria and None of them that ever said they wanted to break away.

How many Farming Institution is in the North ?

How many roads?

What is the Agricultural Advantage do the Northerners have now for the 100 years of farming?

Was Any visible benefit given to them? ( Not that this makes it Right to be done to ND)

Is it not that we have used them and have dumped them?

Did we have Coco boards and other boards; who sat on those boards?

The poor farmers ?

Who determined the price of the cash crops?

With the petroleum industry The locals cant handle it so what we should do is to develop local owned petroleum companies that will have more indigenous ownership.

We should make sure that people are trained in Petroleum studies.

We should prosecute the Governors and make them very big scapegoats and recover all the money they have looted.

They should be jailed for the sake of the dying people of the ND.

THE WHOLE NIGERIA SHOULD BE HEAVILY POLICED THE HIGHEST PAID OF THE CIVIL SERVICE SHOULD BE POLICE MAN HE SHOULD BE HIGHLY QUALIFIED ALSO.

GOD HELP 9JA
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by McKren(m): 3:17pm On May 21, 2007
As far as the business of kidnapping for ransome is so easy and lucrative the crisis will not end.

Who wants to quit such easy money with returns in millions of dollars for monthly salary?

The incoming Govt must first of all give Nigerians a reason to believe them that good days lie ahead probably by first at least sorting out electricity.
Then it should be made a crime for any company to give out ransome to secure hostages, this should be equated to sabotaging National interest and security. yes that is what it is.

When the Govt has proven that they are actually working for the comon good of Nigerians, then anybody sabotaging the economy should be classified and treated as terrorist thus any mean necessary should be used to sort them out including full scale military action. But as long as govt is unable to deliver in human capacity development they lack the moral authority to make this call.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by naijaway(m): 10:19pm On May 21, 2007
correct talk! mckren
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by adconline(m): 5:47am On May 22, 2007
backslider.

Are u in Nigeria or in space. That northern farmers are taxed by Nigeria or their elites. Don’t you know the difference between taxation and 100% control of Niger Delta oil? This is an absurd argument.   I am very certain that FG does not  excise control over agricultural produce, but oil is in the exclusive list of our father Christmas- Federal Government. We are saying that Niger Oil should be taxed by FG not be taken over by FG. If you say that Northerners are bedeviled by illnesses, why don’t we hold their leaders accountable they same we all want to blame ND leaders for all woes in the region.

It seems we have a different standard for ND. What we are asking of ND leaders we dare not ask Nigerian leaders. Northerners messed up Nigeria economically and yet we still entrust them with leadership. Yar'dua is our next president, it could have been Atiku , Marwa, IBB or Buhari. The same people that looted Nigeria. Odili, Alams are all corrupt, but the same thing could be said of Dariye who owns houses and bank accounts overseas. Tinubu was accused of having multiple bank accounts overseas. Chimaroke  Nnamani owns over  171 houses in Enugu, excluding overseas bank accounts and investments. Let's not talk about Orji Uzo Kalu who turned Abia State into his mama's empire. Corruption is prevalent in Nigeria. Northerners have held power more than any region in Nigeria and as such have corruptibly enriched themselves in office, but we don’t say to them, because illiteracy, poverty, childhood killer diseases are more prevalent in your region; we cannot allow to produce next president. We believe for peace to reign that northerners should produce the next president regardless of their past corrupt leaders.  Even these so called ND leaders were hand picked by corrupt   non ND kingmakers and political god fathers who expected them to do their bidding. This administration does not have petroleum ministry and yet we are not asking questions. Why does the rule change whenever Niger Delta issues are discussed? I am not condoning corruption, but if it becomes our yardstick, it be holistically applied.

As for those thinking that this problem will fizzle out, it never will. David Brooks of New York Times  said   “ that modern insurgents like MEND do not seek to take over governments but to weaken them” eg  An Iraqi insurgent group used $2000 to blow up an oil pipeline that caused Iraqi government about $500 million in loss of revenue which is about 25million percent increment.

Corruption is always used as a benchmark to deny  ND their right to control their resources.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by Backslider(m): 9:28am On May 22, 2007
@ADCONLINE

My Aim of my last post was to appeal to your Humanity. I however seen that you don't want see any good that North has contributed. You cannot ignore what the north has contributed and the way the revenue from Cash Crops was used to run the WHOLE NIGERIA

From what I have seen from your post all the people in the NORTH REPRESENT THE NORTHERN ELITES so all the impoverished farmers in the North that will die of drought and hunger this year are also corrupt wether they are Good or bad even if they have not taking or benefited from Government money oil money. This people Buy Petrol at a high price, They religiously accept suffering as a way of life.

In the South ( where I am from) It looks as because the oil is found on our uncles brothers sisters land We can rob kill kidnap in the name of the oil money and for all we care the whole Nigeria should Burn.

A good man is one that fights for the right no matter where he is.

We have E. Daukoru handling the oil and energy issues.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by ijogbon(m): 10:02am On May 22, 2007
For everybody who has got their facts wrong.

Farmers invested their OWN funds. To acquire the seedlings, to raise and farm the crops, to buy fertiliser, to buy pesticides, buy tractors, harvest, employ labour etc.
To become a farmer you need to get Land and then go about your business, little or no government largesse.

Oil on the other hand takes a lot of investment. Even before you start drilling you might have spent 100's of Millions of Dollars.
Now, ever before the oil started coming out of the ground the FEDERAL government has invested funds which were generated elsewhere (Agriculture for a start) and made arrangements to receive revenue from OIL. They do not drill for the oil themselves, they get royalties and taxes from those who drill. They are receiving the dividends of our investments!!!!!

My point is to people who feel that ALL the money should be given to the Niger delta because the oil is there - Since the bid rounds are open and some Niger delta states have even won bids for Oil blocks (fact) why don't they drill for their own oil, with their own funds so that when they find oil they can take all the proceeds and keep for themselves? Ahn ahn, abi they don't have enough money to drill? They can borrow from their governors. Them G's be richer than all Nigerian states combined, if they can become so affluent in just 8 years they should teach their people how they did it.

Abi, them wan chop from where them no sow? is it totally free revenue that they are looking for? The Niger delta state governors should have concentrated on winning bids for oil blocks and drilling for oil and not on looting their treasuries.
Re: Propose A Solution To The Niger-delta Crisis by dazangel11(f): 12:00pm On May 22, 2007

What is your solution My broder

(1) (2) (Reply)

Banks Tackles Loan Defaulters, Petitions Yar'adua / Intimations Of A Finitude By Uthman Shodipe / Kidnapped Imo Commissioner Has Been Freed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.