Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,904 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos (24618 Views)

"Ounje Eko" Food Markets Open Across Lagos From Sunday / Trouble Looms For Some Private Jet Owners As Customs Begins Crackdown / EndSARS: Joe Biden To Buhari & Military, "Stop Violent Crackdown On Protesters" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Eteka1(m): 7:37am On Sep 30, 2019
Its a good development. Import through Nigerian ports. Onne and Calabar ports are idle while Cotonu is booming. Wailers will still wail sha.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by B2joa(m): 7:37am On Sep 30, 2019
What is the work of our officers at the boaders na?
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Skyfornia(m): 7:37am On Sep 30, 2019
GavelSlam:

Smuggling, duties not paid or underpaid etc.

Do they have any evidence? According to the report...they just sealed some companies without any investigation. Their action is not different from Sars arresting you on the road, impounding your vehicle or laptop and asking you to come clear yourself at the station.

2 Likes

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by jarkbauer: 7:37am On Sep 30, 2019
Nigeria government and barbarism.
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 30, 2019
chronique:

And so? So because of that, they should shut them down? Is it your property that they bought or rented to open car lots?

Typical hustler. Left to people like you, cars would be parked on the road for sale. You riff raff are no better than truck drivers who park on the road constituting a nuisance to all. No sense of decorum, decency or common sense. Just a bunch of dirty hustlers bringing a mess everywhere

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by GavelSlam: 7:39am On Sep 30, 2019
Skyfornia:

Do they have any evidence? According to the report...they just sealed some companies without any investigation. Their action is not different from Sars arresting you on the road, impounding your vehicle or laptop and asking you to come clear yourself at the station.

They have credible info.

Do you want to teach them their job?

3 Likes

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by GavelSlam: 7:40am On Sep 30, 2019
rafhell:
Anything to impoverish the south.
Go to the northern borders and you will see that customs does not exist.

The story they told you at the Nkwobi joint abi?

4 Likes

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by pocohantas(f): 7:40am On Sep 30, 2019
ornicus:
Please come to FESTAC. They have turned the entire place into a used car lot. Every fking corner has used cars for sale.

How is this a problem? Are they selling on the road? Don't they pay rent for the space they occupy? angry

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by GavelSlam: 7:42am On Sep 30, 2019
B2joa:
What is the work of our officers at the boaders na?

The same work you have of narcotics units in US and UK.

They would break your door down if they have credible information.

4 Likes

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Skyfornia(m): 7:42am On Sep 30, 2019
GavelSlam:

They have credible info.

Do you want to teach them their job?

Oga I'm not sure you are in this country... two weeks ago they shot dead an okada man carrying rice. Is that also part of their jobs??
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Eteka1(m): 7:42am On Sep 30, 2019
satowind:
How our police and custom sleep at night still baffle me. Tot they said fsars shouldn't wear that fsars again but I saw them this morning wearing it, with the scorpion on their cloth, carrying gun and cutlass and some youth in their van receiving slaps. So if police are that way how can we differentiate police and cultist now?
You know wetin those youth wey them dey slap bin do?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by GavelSlam: 7:45am On Sep 30, 2019
Skyfornia:

Oga I'm not sure you are in this country... two weeks ago they shot dead an okada man carrying rice. Is that also part of their jobs??

I'm not sure you are in Nigeria yourself.

We have read many times that customs officers have been shot at and sometimes killed.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by chukel(m): 7:45am On Sep 30, 2019
Welcome development. If u know, u know. It's time we started doing things right in this country. Underpayment of duty, non payment at all, smuggling is bad. However same custom is superbly corrupt. They should make payment of duty public and transparent. Everyone should know what's obtainable for each vehicle. They should make it possible to pay online. In order not to put agents out of business, they can create a window where importers must go thru registered agents but duty must be made uniform, known and clear to all.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by KevMitnick: 7:48am On Sep 30, 2019
I really don't know if Nigeria is ready for all these sudden crackdown on this and that, border closures here and there. The economy has not yet been made to run at a sustainable level to accommodate these changes. It's the peasants that will suffer it not those at the top. At least have a rich garden in your house before you stop your children from going out to buy groceries from the neighbors. undecided

5 Likes

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by starbright4real(m): 7:48am On Sep 30, 2019
gud day, pls i seriously need a job, i am a graduate of accounting (hnd) 07037799108
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by GavelSlam: 7:49am On Sep 30, 2019
KevMitnick:
I really don't know if Nigeria is ready for all these sudden crackdown on this and that, border closures here and there. The economy has not yet been made to run at a sustainable level to accommodate these changes. It's the peasants that will suffer it not those at the top. At least have a rich garden in your house before you stop your children from going out to buy groceries from the neighbors. undecided

When do you think we'll be ready and what must be in place before we do?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Tenshades(m): 7:53am On Sep 30, 2019
satowind:
How our police and custom sleep at night still baffle me. Tot they said fsars shouldn't wear that fsars again but I saw them this morning wearing it, with the scorpion on their cloth, carrying gun and cutlass and some youth in their van receiving slaps. So if police are that way how can we differentiate police and cultist now?

You said cutlass OMG!! Security agency??
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 30, 2019
pocohantas:

How is this a problem? Are they selling on the road? Don't they pay rent for the space they occupy? angry

What has happened is that every sidewalk, every parking space, every kerb is being turned to a car sales lot. Someone moves into your close and the next thing there are five cars in the close parking space.

Today, areas where kids play have been turned into parking lots. That's why you see kids playing football in the streets, because all the former playgrounds are now parking lots.

You must understand that everything is tiered. Your tier 1 dealer buys land, fences it off and sells his card. Your lower tier just park the cars in parking spaces or Kerbs or partially blocking the road.or they take over the parking space in a close

Of course as always our useless local government jokers have their part in this, as they are mostly as backward minded as these hustlers and only concerned with a quick buck.

With your car hustlers come your car vandals. As they need to steal parts to complete the vehicles they are selling.

Think of broad street before fashola cleaned it up. Reduced to a place where one could barely walk, with traders all claiming right.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Lifestone(m): 7:57am On Sep 30, 2019
GavelSlam:
They should go and clear themselves.
After closure? Whatever happens to proper investigation by the Customs before the acting
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by chronique(m): 7:58am On Sep 30, 2019
ornicus:

Typical hustler. Left to people like you, cars would be parked on the road for sale. You riff raff are no better than truck drivers who park on the road constituting a nuisance to all. No sense of decorum, decency or common sense. Just a bunch of dirty hustlers bringing a mess everywhere

So says a donkey with an IQ of -1. The people who sell there apparently live in that axis and bought/leased properties there for their businesses. If they have not flouted any law of the state that says that shouldn't sell cars there, then nobody can shut them down. Apparently, morons like you don't even think before talking. You just comment on the internet because you feel you need to talk irrespective of whether what comes out of your mouth makes sense or not.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by pocohantas(f): 8:00am On Sep 30, 2019
ornicus:

What has happened is that every sidewalk, every parking space, every kerb is being turned to a car sales lot. Someone moves into your close and the next thing there are five cars in the close parking space.

Today, areas where kids play have been turned into parking lots. That's why you see kids playing football in the streets, because all the former playgrounds are now parking lots.

You must understand that everything is tiered. Your tier 1 dealer buys land, fences it off and sells his card. Your lower tier just park the cars in parking spaces or Kerbs or partially blocking the road.or they take over the parking space in a close

Of course as always our useless local government jokers have their part in this, as they are mostly as backward minded as these hustlers and only concerned with a quick buck.

With your car hustlers come your car vandals. As they need to steal parts to complete the vehicles they are selling.

Think of broad street before fashola cleaned it up. Reduced to a place where one could barely walk, with traders all claiming right.

Oh! Yea, I noticed the ones on the kerb, those ones are way below Tier1 sef. I didn't know they have progressed to occupying every available space.

I remember passing few car stands with my friend and he voiced this same concern. Though he was more about the money-laundering aspect of it. I never reasoned to that direction till he pointed it out. Obviously there are so many downsides to them.

Nice move then...

5 Likes

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by GavelSlam: 8:01am On Sep 30, 2019
Lifestone:

After closure? Whatever happens to proper investigation by the Customs before the acting

They had info and in the coming days you would read about it.

I'm pretty sure when you do, you'll revert to how they did it in connivance with corrupt customs officers whilst trying to exculpate the corrupt dealers themselves.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Lifestone(m): 8:06am On Sep 30, 2019
GavelSlam:

They had info and in the coming days you would read about it.

I'm pretty sure when you do, you'll revert to how they did it in connivance with corrupt customs officers whilst trying to exculpate the corrupt dealers themselves.
Same way Police will arrest Nigerians before looking for evidence to support it. It's a shame of a nation.
Proper investigation ought to have been conducted and only the culprits should have been shut down. This blanket punishment is adverse to the economy. It amounts to a loss

1 Like

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by banji1(m): 8:08am On Sep 30, 2019
All these media shouts is needless, produce your documents at the customs office and have your car marts reopened, but then because they know their records aren't accurate, they'll bring bribes first!
Are you a teacher?
Get FREE access to comprehensive lesson notes/plans for various subjects. Check my signature for details.
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by chronique(m): 8:10am On Sep 30, 2019
pocohantas:

Oh! Yea, I noticed the ones on the kerb, those ones are way below Tier1 sef. I didn't know they have progressed to occupying every available space.

I remember passing few car stands with my friend and he voiced this same concern. Though he was more about the money-laundering aspect of it. I never reasoned to that direction till he pointed it out. Obviously there are so many downsides to them.

Nice move then...

Car lots not properly structured or cited on illegal structures can be shut down. I have not been to Festac recently but I know that place has always been a big hub for automobile dealership from way back. It's one of the few places where you have large clusters of car marts and the ones I know are gated and cited in enclosed compounds. You won't want to stock up cars ranging from 5m upwards and leave them in an open space.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by tfelicityk(m): 8:13am On Sep 30, 2019
It is time for the NCS to work on his officers and men who compromised too....

They want to get rich quick too.

3 Likes

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Bluntemperor: 8:14am On Sep 30, 2019
A question for the Custom Controller General- Has the Borders in the Northern Nigeria ever closed before? No wander Customs,NPA and NNPC have imposed structures and you want better performance.That will take a miracle to be.
Why do you close border on Rice when Nigeria do not produce long grain rice.
I'm for border closing but on staple food like rice,our survey shows that Nigeria do not produce any long grain-rice at all,even the small-rice is not sufficient for our growing population.We need to ask our rulers why and what interventions do the authority put in place-including CBN,to reduce the shortfall that is bringing scarcity to Nigerian,as we talked now,a short-rice once sold for N12,500 is now N18,500,while long rice is N25,000 from N14,000.
Are those in Authority eating Nigeria rice?.we should live by good example.Are our Legislatures eating Nigerian rice? Are our eateries complying with these directives of cooking and serving Nigerian rice. When we put on Patriotism toga we expect our leaders lead by example.God Bless Nigeria.
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:18am On Sep 30, 2019
GavelSlam:
They should go and clear themselves.

You buharists think with your arses. No crime has been alledged. It is the customs that should prove wrong doing, not the businessmen.

4 Likes

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by GavelSlam: 8:19am On Sep 30, 2019
Bluntemperor:
A question for the Custom Controller General- Has the Borders in the Northern Nigeria ever closed before? No wander Customs,NPA and NNPC have imposed structures and you want better performance.That will take a miracle to be.
I'm for border closing but on staple food like rice,our survey shows that Nigeria do not produce any long grain-rice at all,even the small-rice is not sufficient for our growing population.We need to ask our rulers why and what interventions do the authority put in place-including CBN,to reduce the shortfall that is bringing scarcity to Nigerian,as we talked now,a short-rice once sold for N12,500 is now N18,500,while long rice is N25,000 from N14,000.
[b]Are those in Authority eating Nigeria rice?.we should live by good example.Are our Legislatures eating Nigerian rice? A[/b]re our eateries complying with these directives of cooking and serving Nigerian rice. When we put on Patriotism toga we expect our leaders lead by example.God Bless Nigeria.

I'm hoping these are just questions and not insinuations.
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by GavelSlam: 8:20am On Sep 30, 2019
IamaNigerianGuy:

You buharists think with your arses. No crime has been alledged. It is the customs that should prove wrong doing, not the businessmen.

When they present it to you in days to come you would continue with your wailing.
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Eteka1(m): 8:20am On Sep 30, 2019
Bluntemperor:
Are those in Authority eating Nigeria rice?.we should live by good example.Are our Legislatures eating Nigerian rice? Are our eateries complying with these directives of cooking and serving Nigerian rice. When we put on Patriotism toga we expect our leaders lead by example.God Bless Nigeria.
The Nigerian border with Niger, Chad and Cameroon are currently closed. I guess those places are in the South.
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:21am On Sep 30, 2019
GavelSlam:

When they present it to you in days to come you would continue with your wailing.

The law doesn't work that way. Ode

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Binta Garba: Usman Plotted My Removal From NPA Because I Demanded Transparency / FIRS Writes National Assembly, Seeks Exclusive Power On VAT / Former President , Obasanjo Goes Back To School Again !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.