Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,313 members, 7,954,255 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:29 PM

In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos (24838 Views)

"Ounje Eko" Food Markets Open Across Lagos From Sunday / Live Results From Polling Units Across Lagos State / EndSARS: Joe Biden To Buhari & Military, "Stop Violent Crackdown On Protesters" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Mutemenot(m): 8:22am On Sep 30, 2019
As if the cars didn't pass through border or wharf. The corruption fight should start from their personal posted at the entrance points ... And the method of clearing vehicles in this country is not very clear, they should digital in a way people can clear vehicle at the comfort of their home probably online with any human interference...
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by GavelSlam: 8:22am On Sep 30, 2019
IamaNigerianGuy:

The law doesn't work that way. Ode

You mean your parents.
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by GavelSlam: 8:23am On Sep 30, 2019
Mutemenot:
As if the cars didn't pass through border or wharf. The corruption fight should start from their personal posted at the entrance points ... And the method of clearing vehicles in this country is not very clear, they should digital in a way people can clear vehicle at the comfort of their home probably online with any human interference...

The cocaine on the streets in Thailand and US passed through the borders but you never make this same statement.
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Mutemenot(m): 8:25am On Sep 30, 2019
GavelSlam:

The cocaine on the streets in Thailand and US passed through the borders but you never make this same statement.

I don't know about cocaine, you re better in that field .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by GavelSlam: 8:27am On Sep 30, 2019
Mutemenot:

I don't know about cocaine, you re better in that field .

Write a letter to your brother in the Bangkok prison, he'll tell you about it.

Since you know a lot more about smuggling cars can you shed more light on how you operate?
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Baroba(m): 8:51am On Sep 30, 2019
Ahmed0336:
If this measures will boost innoson production and sales it is a welcomed development.
You cannot go to Benin to buy cars, pay taxes then smuggled the same cars into the country without paying tax.

And who is letting those cars in, Nigerian custom headed by Buhari's appointee, in saner climes the head of custom will be sacked.. I forgot this is the Zoo republic were people don't bloody reason.. Think..

1 Like

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by satowind(m): 8:52am On Sep 30, 2019
Eteka1:
You know wetin those youth wey them dey slap bin do?

U still missed the point of how they look
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by satowind(m): 8:52am On Sep 30, 2019
Tenshades:

You said cutlass OMG!! Security agency??

I for snap but I no wan be victim of circumstances
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by obama30: 8:54am On Sep 30, 2019
Omooba77:
In continuation of its war on smuggling in line with the closure of land borders across the country, the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) in a major crackdown yesterday shutdown some car marts suspected to have smuggle vehicles into the country through the land borders.

THISDAY gathered that members of the Comptroller General of the service’s strike force and officers attached to the Federal Operations Unit (FOU), Zone ‘A’, Ikeja stormed the popular Berger along Apapa-Oshodi Express Road and other major car dealers’ premises across Lagos in search of smuggled vehicles and subsequently shut down the car marts until further notice.

It was learnt that the car marts were closed on the orders of the Comptroller General of the Service, Col. Hameed Ali (rtd), for allegedly retailing smuggled vehicles in the shops.
The Customs Public Relations Officer, Joseph Attah, who confirmed the development to THISDAY yesterday, however, denied that car dealers who are not involved in selling smuggled cars were shut down.

According to him, “Yes a number of car marts were shutdown based on credible information that there were smuggled vehicles in these car marts, but the sealing is just temporary. As from this week we will assess the situation and advised them accordingly as to what they should do.”

Asked how many dealers were shutdown, he said, “As of now I don’t have the numbers but those not involved in any bad business were not shutdown. But I can confirm that some numbers have been shutdown. Within the week, customs will take a look at the records of each vehicle in these car marts and appropriate actions will be taken.

Attah who also confirmed that no arrests were made added that the action was not taken to inflict harm on anyone but to ensure that government gets its due revenue.

“The target is not really to bring any unnecessary hardship to any individual, the idea is to see the possibility of either seizure or recovery of revenue for such vehicles,” he added.

When THISDAY contacted the managing director of one of the companies affected, he said car dealing marts were stormed in a Gestapo style with four trucks load of customs officers who pasted closure notices on their premises and asked that they report to the FOU today.

“All car dealers in Lagos were shutdown, Affordable Cars Limited, Carlink Limited, InehmicAutos, Globe Motors, COSCHARIS and Skymit Motors, Arrowhead Motors, Wonder Wheels Motors, Auto Point Motors and any name that you can think of were all shutdown. Even Stallion Motors was affected. The only one I cannot confirm is Toyota Nigeria Limited or Elizade Motors.

“They came and put a sticker, sealed off the place and said come to FOU in Ikeja. That was all. No information or notices. It was not as if they came and found smuggled cars in our premises. They didn’t even ask for anything. Globe Motors and Inehmic were the first place they went to around 7a.m. They came to my place in the evening. One will expect that they will at least ask for documents but nothing, they just sealed off the place,” he said.

Another car dealer whose mart was shut around Oregun said his documents were up to date.

The dealer, Chukwudi Nwachukwu, said he was surprised that his stand was shut down by the service.

“I was shocked when my mart was shut. I operate at Oregun and I can tell you that my documents are up to date. In fact, am printing my documents to take to FOU, Ikeja for them to unsealed my business,” he added.

One of the dealers with link with a global brand told THISDAY that the company imported its vehicles through official channels and had documents to prove the legitimacy of its transactions.

The source from the company said they would find out from Customs what went wrong when they honour the invitation to appear before the FOU today.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/09/30/in-major-crackdown-customs-shut-car-dealers-across-lagos/amp

Military regime is back, anyway the entire north and some Nigeria know deport of smuggling car, the deport of smuggling car in Nigeria is at (Katsina road, Kano state from Akija hotel to Haji Camp junction ) the left and right of the dual road is known by the north as deport of smuggling cars from Cotonu to Maradi then from Maradi to Daula Buhari home town, from Daula to final destination kano . as am written there are more than 1000 smuggle car there now and the custom chief do eyes right but go ahead to disturbed Lagos car dealers. The is the attitude that push Ibb to take power in 85
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Kingspin(m): 8:55am On Sep 30, 2019
A country without sense
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Tenshades(m): 8:58am On Sep 30, 2019
satowind:

I for snap but I no wan be victim of circumstances
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 30, 2019
chronique:

So says a donkey with an IQ of -1. The people who sell there apparently live in that axis and bought/leased properties there for their businesses. If they have not flouted any law of the state that says that shouldn't sell cars there, then nobody can shut them down. Apparently, morons like you don't even think before talking. You just comment on the internet because you feel you need to talk irrespective of whether what comes out of your mouth makes sense or not.

This is within festac this morning.

I passed over 20 different used car lots on roads and Kerbs.

There must be over a 100 informal parking lots on public roads constituting a nuisance and hazard. Some roads have been reduced to single lane.

But hey let's hustle make this money and make a complete mess of our environment while we are at it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by Bluntemperor: 9:07am On Sep 30, 2019
GavelSlam:

I'm hoping these are just questions and not insinuations.
These are facts-there 1001 border routes in the North-between Sokoto-Niger Republic,-Katsina; Lake Charde; Adamawa-Borno-Sambisa -Forest-who is Manning them?.If not porous,why are boko-haram still parading,kidnapping and killing Nigerians then easily switched to other Countries?
How many of our Legislatures and Executives eat Nigerian rice and patronize Nigerian goods.Take it or leave it,Ambode may not be a good politician but he was patronising and eating LAKE Rice live on the television with his Kebbi Counterparts then.
I was in the market last week to buy food stuffs,not 'lazy youth' who want easy way out virtually on everything.Closing boarder is good-unemployment will certainly reduce,infants industry will grow and as a nation that can't feed itself is bound to be slaves to rest of other independent countries.Let us do it well irrespective of 'order from above'.That what makes American great.Nigeria too will be great if we imbibe- discipline,truthfulness and Patriotism,first by our leaders and followers respectively.
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by efighter: 9:26am On Sep 30, 2019
Captainrambo2:
both of you should keep quiet.

Buhari and hameed alli re birth useless men. they only deceive warped people like you 2.

You are also a smuggler, one of these days, you would be arrested, prosecuted and jailed accordingly.
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by DJInfluence: 9:44am On Sep 30, 2019
IMO, this is the best way to curb car smuggling in the country. When the car dealers know they will be raided, then they will import through the right channels. The customs should sustain this and don´t let the few corrupt officials derail such actions.
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by ikorodureporta: 9:58am On Sep 30, 2019
They shl just build a fence around the country
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by oloyede90(m): 11:00am On Sep 30, 2019
If they like, they should close seme, idi iroko!! Cars will still enter. You can't stop fayawo. In fact, tokunbo dey enter daily
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by smartistics(m): 2:01pm On Sep 30, 2019
hmmm

Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by omobaba101(m): 2:03pm On Sep 30, 2019
This is totally overdue in the North. Why not start from Kano/Kaduna/Katsina or Sokoto, where more than 90% are confirmed smuggled cars?
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by islandmoon: 3:05pm On Sep 30, 2019
I wonder why all these doesn't happen in the North, the southerners are ATM, why is it saver to drive a car without duty in kano, Kaduna, Bauchi and North in general?
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by ABOVEDELAW: 3:54am On Oct 01, 2019
IS THAT YOUR WOODEN AND PLASTIC BRAIN WORKS?
Ahmed0336:
If this measures will boost innoson production and sales it is a welcomed development.
You cannot go to Benin to buy cars, pay taxes then smuggled the same cars into the country without paying tax.
Re: In Major Crackdown, Customs Shut Car Dealers Across Lagos by SFMJ: 9:12am On Nov 05, 2019
Interesting
Prestamos

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

‘Blame Ganduje If Anything Happens To Me' - Jaafar Jaafar / Buhari And His Wife, Aisha At UN General Meeting (Photos) / King Dibbo, Hajo Sani's Son: "It Feels Good To Be A Self-made Millionaire"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.