Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,291 members, 7,815,506 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax (13145 Views)

President Buhari Regime Building Mosques With Allocation Meant For Agriculture / Churches, Mosques: Buhari, Governors Strike 5-Point Deal / Lai Mohammed: Attack On South African Businesses Will Hurt Nigerians More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Wande22(m): 12:13pm On Sep 30, 2019
Debaiz:

The only other tax that can be derived from churches is PAYE of its workers earning salaries.

That, we glady pay every month
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Charleys: 12:17pm On Sep 30, 2019
adenigga:

Oyo State is not an Islamic state like Kwara State. So, I disagree with you on that.
Also read that thread well he said both churches & Mosques, the only exception I'm seeing here is Traditional religion, they have business ventures too, @ least they produced herbs of different kinds.
how do mosques make money, can you remind me again?

Churches collect offerings. You can insult me or whatever, truth is it's going to backfire on you. It's the church who owns businesses, schools etc.

All churches are registered under CAC.

Making it a business.
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by greypencils: 12:28pm On Sep 30, 2019
1StopRudeness:

Pleaseeeeeee!!!!!! Don’t even go there.... free education indeed!!!!!!so our children are suppose to pay for that crap called education.....why aren’t their children attending the same schools??

So the money isn’t meant for health care, it isn’t meant for good road, they can’t run an independent power grid from the money and provide stable electricity, the money isn’t meant for security??
But It’s meant for poor, zero standard, free education.....oga no let me vex for you...they don’t have any initiative to reduce their running cost and generate more revenue...once a government comes in....the only area of initiative is to milk the masses.
Which of the masses are they milking now? Is it churches that have enough to purchase private jets? If so, then those set of masses deserve to be taxed.

1 Like

Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by xest(m): 12:29pm On Sep 30, 2019
1StopRudeness:
All their aim is to collect from masses....we no kuku see wetin una dey use the ones wey una don collect do....
of course tax their school, tax their hospital...:but their no justification to tax church offering.....even advance country classify churches under non-profit/ charity coys....

Weda u collect all their money...it’s of no benefit to us....last last...no road, no light, no security

Infact nobody should be paying this government tax...instead we should use our money to provide what for ourself what the tax is meant to provide..
my brother here in Nigeria church is a profit making venture. So they should pay cos they generate revenues too.

1 Like

Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by adenigga(m): 12:29pm On Sep 30, 2019
Charleys:

Churches collect offerings. You can insult me or whatever, truth is it's going to backfire on you. It's the church who owns businesses, schools etc.

Making it a business.

Bros! Even if you're a Muslim, let's face it, don't they have Universities? Is DAT not a revenue generating angle? Go and confirm Islamic organization are also not left behind in this business oriented drama.

1 Like

Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Nobody: 12:32pm On Sep 30, 2019
greypencils:
Which of the masses are they milking now? Is it churches that have enough to purchase private jets? If so, then those set of masses deserve to be taxed.

Mr greypencils this government has no right asking us for more tax from anyone...look around u... the ones they have been collecting is in their pocket...shebí u can see there’s no road, no water , no light , no security, no health care...so the extra they are asking for, where is it going??
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Nobody: 12:36pm On Sep 30, 2019
xest:
my brother here in Nigeria church is a profit making venture. So they should pay cos they generate revenues too.

That’s just ur definition of profit making.....by economics, nothing is being technically sold in goods or service to generate income...money in churches are donation...it’s no different from charity....and there’s already a law that don’t tax charity...u can hate the church all u want, it’s the people dropping their salary for miracle money every sunday u should go and educate
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by omenka(m): 12:38pm On Sep 30, 2019
Charleys:
grin

This tax is directed towards Christian's. We all know Oyo is a Muslim state.

The Christian's need to pay for being there.
You made this comment while grinning in anticipation of the likes and shares you'd harvest for your blatant display of bigotry and senselessness. Unfortunately and in victory to common sense, after TWO LONG HOURS, you've got just ONE like even though you were the FTC.

This should serve as a lesson to you. Try and pretend to be sensible next time.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by greypencils: 12:42pm On Sep 30, 2019
1StopRudeness:

Mr greypencils this government has no right asking us for more tax from anyone...look around u... the ones they have been collecting is in their pocket...shebí u can see there’s no road, no water , no light , no security, no health care...so the extra they are asking for, where is it going??
Mr Oga, shebi it is church money? Is it your money? Why you dey take am personal? Give unto ceasar, what is Caesar's lol. Already we are giving unto God, what is God's.
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by oljsjhdyc: 12:50pm On Sep 30, 2019
Okay
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 30, 2019
greypencils:
Mr Oga, shebi it is church money? Is it your money? Why you dey take am personal? Give unto ceasar, what is Caesar's lol. Already we are giving unto God, what is God's.

Personal...?? It’s like u don’t even know when to use that word....I’m a citizen of this country and I care what tax payers money is used or isn’t used for...but it’s like u don’t care ...all U care about is ur hatred for churches and they should be taxed...

People like u don’t even analyze things...it won’t amount to anything...churches that own profit making businesses are the big guns like redeem, Living faith, mountain on fire, CAC, Catholics, Christ embassy and Methodist....the major business they have is school, hospitals and printing press...there’s already a law on ground that’s schools and hospitals are exempted from income tax....so what’s all the fuss about..?
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Charleys: 1:09pm On Sep 30, 2019
omenka:
You made this comment while grinning in anticipation of the likes and shares you'd harvest for your blatant display of bigotry and senselessness. Unfortunately and in victory to common sense, after TWO LONG HOURS, you've got just ONE like even though you were the FTC.

This should serve as a lesson to you. Try and pretend to be sensible next time.
the truth doesn't need "likes" from people to make it true.
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by KingOdart(m): 1:40pm On Sep 30, 2019
Charleys:

Making it a business.

There are many Islamic organizations like Ansar-Ur-Deen etc that have private schools, printing press and other businesses

The mosques may not be making money but many Islamic organizations make money
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by greypencils: 1:50pm On Sep 30, 2019
1StopRudeness:

Personal...?? It’s like u don’t even know when to use that word....I’m a citizen of this country and I care what tax payers money is used or isn’t used for...but it’s like u don’t care ...all U care about is ur hatred for churches and they should be taxed...

People like u don’t even analyze things...it won’t amount to anything...churches that own profit making businesses are the big guns like redeem, Living faith, mountain on fire, CAC, Catholics, Christ embassy and Methodist....the major business they have is school, hospitals and printing press...there’s already a law on ground that’s schools and hospitals are exempted from income tax....so what’s all the fuss about..?
You dey take am personal na. I don't hate the church, rather I hate the avarice that is becoming an attachment to it. Even Christ drove away people who are turning the church into a market place. Christ himself did that. But today's Church has no barometer, no check, no balances, blood money can be made as long as a tithe is paid, it becomes clean, fraud money is brought into the church and pastors receive it arms open wide, no questions asked. Congregations see pastors as their idol instead of approaching the throne of grace themselves, many quote their pastors rather than the Bible. The sole purpose of the gospel, go ye and preach the word is sacrificed on an altar of acrobatics and verbose English, Priests and pastors are divorcing the wives of their youth and tending to singlehood. And you sincerely think its the Same heaven that houses Paul and simon Peter, we are going to? When last have messages about hell and heaven been preached? When last have messages about sanctification and righteousness been preached? You now have many jerks on altars. People who were jerks before 'receiving Christ' and have not undergone a sanctification and purging from old habits before being 'called to the pulpit'. Or do we still believe all people who claim to be 'men of God' to be indeed called by God? I don't hate the Church. No I don't. But I hate what it has become, a place where which the cost of your perfume determine the amount of accolade you receive. If all the finery, drapes, AC's, rugs were removed and people had to meet in an open space just like old times, would we still have the same commitment from members? I am being real. You seem to be a religious person that's why I went all religious. Back to the matter. Taxes, all forms of taxes (company, landed property, personal income) are the prerogative of any government. And yes, I do believe businesses owned by the Church should be taxed. The question should be more of how to enforce transparency and eschew corruption in Government, how to vote right people into power and more importantly, how to be morally right as citizens ourselves. At the end of the day, you would find out that corruption-wise, the citizens are worse of than the government they heap the blame upon. That would be all for now Mr1StopRudeness

1 Like

Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 30, 2019
greypencils:
You dey take am personal na. I don't hate the church, rather I hate the avarice that is becoming an attachment to it. Even Christ drove away people who are turning the church into a market place. Christ himself did that. But today's Church has no barometer, no check, no balances, blood money can be made as long as a tithe is paid, it becomes clean, fraud money is brought into the church and pastors receive it arms open wide, no questions asked. Congregations see pastors as their idol instead of approaching the throne of grace themselves, many quote their pastors rather than the Bible. The sole purpose of the gospel, go ye and preach the word is sacrificed on an altar of acrobatics and verbose English, Priests and pastors are divorcing the wives of their youth and tending to singlehood. And you sincerely think its the Same heaven that houses Paul and simon Peter, we are going to? When last have messages about hell and heaven been preached? When last have messages about sanctification and righteousness been preached? You now have many jerks on altars. People who were jerks before 'receiving Christ' and have not undergone a sanctification and purging from old habits before being 'called to the pulpit'. Or do we still believe all people who claim to be 'men of God' to be indeed called by God? I don't hate the Church. No I don't. But I hate what it has become, a place where which the cost of your perfume determine the amount of accolade you receive. If all the finery, drapes, AC's, rugs were removed and people had to meet in an open space just like old times, would we still have the same commitment from members? I am being real. You seem to be a religious person that's why I went all religious. Back to the matter. Taxes, all forms of taxes (company, landed property, personal income) are the prerogative of any government. And yes, I do believe businesses owned by the Church should be taxed. The question should be more of how to enforce transparency and eschew corruption in Government, how to vote right people into power and more importantly, how to be morally right as citizens ourselves. At the end of the day, you would find out that corruption-wise, the citizens are worse of than the government they heap the blame upon. That would be all for now Mr1StopRudeness

You have raised good points... how is taxing the church going to solve all these problems...u sound like... just because some churches are becoming derailed, then the government should collect money from them....I don’t get..controlling church administration is one thing to ensure people are not oppressed and cheated, just collecting introducing tax without caring about the people is another..why do I think the government don’t care about all the charges banks impose on us??

my own is how will this help us the citizens, whoever Govt wants to tax is fine by me as long as I would see the effect...but I’m not seeing anything and u want me to be happy they are introducing another tax just because it’s the church that’s affected
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by AkhereOkaka(m): 2:25pm On Sep 30, 2019
Charleys:
grin

Please we should stop been senti
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by jaxxy(m): 2:25pm On Sep 30, 2019
Very good unless they do charity or community development projects. U can’t be running a full fledge business in the name of a church and say u won’t pay taxes.
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 2:39pm On Sep 30, 2019
Good move.
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Mummymahdi(f): 2:47pm On Sep 30, 2019
mosque can't pay tax, only if attached are islamic printingpress, book store but no mosque that generate money no one pays tithe or pay imam. is just worship worship and preaching

1 Like

Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 30, 2019
GSM all the way
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Cousin9999: 3:17pm On Sep 30, 2019
I agree with this because there are far too many businesses (and scammers) disguised as religious organizations.

However, I'm concerned about the good minority that takes every dollar collected and uses it to improve/help the community. They do exist, and excessive and/or complex taxation may discourage them.

People making millions know they can dodge taxes, or definitely pay and continue doing what they do. Smaller organizations will be forced to close -- and stop feeding the poor, stop taking orphans, stop educating, and more.
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Onitola2: 4:03pm On Sep 30, 2019
Charleys:
grin

u deserve a brain

1 Like

Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by oladipojesse(m): 4:30pm On Sep 30, 2019
Charleys:
grin

Hmm...which part of this news did you miss sir?
For churches and mosques having business ventures such as schools, printing press and other enterprises will be taxed henceforth; even JESUS paid tax.

Seyi Makinde is a Christian, I am a Christian, his deputy is a muslim and I don't se anything wrong in taxing the business ventures of our religious bodies.

1 Like

Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Coolgent(m): 6:48pm On Sep 30, 2019
Welcome development
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by ifyboy60(m): 7:40pm On Sep 30, 2019
KingOdart:

You are also the one spitting trash on that Olojo festival thread.

Keep your religion bigotry in the north

South West is not a Caliphate

Thunda will visit you soon if you don't stop

there type will insult Igbos in one thread and insult Yorubas in another. all in a bid to foster hate and disunity.

1 Like

Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Basic123: 9:03pm On Sep 30, 2019
Seriously, Makinde is using serious propaganda.

See how his online media influencers were rainning his praises....If it were to be Ajimobi or any other governor,hell will let loose.

1 Like

Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by xest(m): 10:13pm On Sep 30, 2019
1StopRudeness:

That’s just ur definition of profit making.....by economics, nothing is being technically sold in goods or service to generate income...money in churches are donation...it’s no different from charity....and there’s already a law that don’t tax charity...u can hate the church all u want, it’s the people dropping their salary for miracle money every sunday u should go and educate
seems u r a pastor or related to one... They collect tithe, first fruit, prophetic seed, Thanksgiving offering,church levy, building levy, general offering,harvest/bazzar offering. My brother u no get conscience? Make dem pay double sef
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Okoroawusa: 10:44pm On Sep 30, 2019
Charleys:
grin
You need malaria drugs
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Nobody: 1:28am On Oct 01, 2019
xest:
seems u r a pastor or related to one... They collect tithe, first fruit, prophetic seed, Thanksgiving offering,church levy, building levy, general offering,harvest/bazzar offering. My brother u no get conscience? Make dem pay double sef

You don’t even know what tax means or the law of this land.....carry ur petty sentiments elsewhere jare...I don’t dialogue with people that are not objective...
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by capitalzero: 5:09am On Oct 01, 2019
Jobabori:

Past governments in the state have used free education as a programme to deceive people. What we have at the end of the day is mass schoolings which encourages students to attend schools in large number without acquiring quality education. Education cannot be entirely free. To have quality education, parents must contribute much. I am not saying this because i can afford contributing to, no I am just been realistic. Let the deceit be over. There cannot be free Education like that of Awolowo or Bola ige era. Limited resources available now are been squandered. Parents in public schools in Oyo state must be ready to assist government to provide Education. Government should stop deceiving populace with the so called free education slogan.

basic education must be free. Any nation that must be developed must make basic education free and compulsory.
You are talking about quality. There is no quality in Nigeria. paying more for something does not mean it is quality. quality education can be free. let three be mass schooling in the state. half of loaf is better than none.
Re: Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax by Great2017: 5:21am On Oct 01, 2019
1StopRudeness:

You have raised good points... how is taxing the church going to solve all these problems...u sound like... just because some churches are becoming derailed, then the government should collect money from them....I don’t get..controlling church administration is one thing to ensure people are not oppressed and cheated, just collecting introducing tax without caring about the people is another..why do I think the government don’t care about all the charges banks impose on us??

my own is how will this help us the citizens, whoever Govt wants to tax is fine by me as long as I would see the effect...but I’m not seeing anything and u want me to be happy they are introducing another tax just because it’s the church that’s affected
He is advocating for the taxing of business ventures of churches and mosques. Is anything really wrong with that? That the money may be underutilized is another debate entirely.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Niger Government Maps Out Alternative Route For Heavy Duty Vehicles / IPOB Protests Non-release Of Kanu, Threatens Election Boycott / Betta Edu To Report At EFCC Office On Tuesday - ChannelsTV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.