Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,064 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

How To Overcome Your Fear Of Dentists - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Overcome Your Fear Of Dentists (2334 Views)

Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction / Why Do Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction? / How Did You Overcome Your Tooth Problem? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Overcome Your Fear Of Dentists by Dentalgist: 11:22am On Oct 01, 2019
Are you still battling with the fear of visiting the dentist? In Psychology Today, the following tips has been highlighted to emotionally desensitize yourself before your next dental visit:

1. “It’s going to hurt!” — If you’re nervous about pain, let your dentist know; she can administer anesthesia comfortably so you don’t have to suffer. Afraid of needles? Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) works well to help you relax first. If nitrous oxide isn’t enough to dull your senses, sedation dentistry is common, and all you need is a designated driver to shuttle you to and from your appointment. For patients who can’t get past an unrelenting fear of the dentist, this is usually the best option.

2. Bad experience in the past — This seems to be the second most common complaint of apprehensive patients. Sometimes the overall experience of the appointment leaves you feeling unsettled — or worse, repulsed. Perhaps the office over-billed you, the hygienist wasn’t thorough, the assistant was annoying, or the dentist was insensitive. It happens, and it’s unfortunate. But it shouldn’t prejudice you against future visits either (whether with the same dentist or a new one). It’s almost always helpful to tell dental staff about your past experience, so they can understand exactly what offended you. It may require some patience, but you should be able to find a team that will be a good fit for you. And that can make all the difference.

3. Feelings of helplessness or loss of control — Not being able to talk or being confined to a chair with a “noose” around your neck (not to mention being drill-shy) can evoke feelings similar to claustrophobia(Fear of being confined to a space). If this is you, let the assistant know at the beginning of the appointment how you’re feeling. During the appointment, raise a hand to take a break (and they can stretch their backs at the same time).

4. Embarassment about your oral health — You may have gone years without a cleaning. Maybe you put off treatment, and you’re embarrassed or ashamed by the compromised state of your mouth, or what the dentist might say to you. But consider: dental professionals have seen it all. It won’t phase them, so it shouldn’t phase you either.

5. Anxiety About Cost — Dental work can be expensive, especially if your insurance doesn’t cover it. Still, regular appointments with your hygienist help reduce the need for more costly treatments later on. When a filling or crown is necessary, however, talk to the office manager about payment options. Most offices will work with you to create a comfortable financial arrangement. Plus, check your area for free or low cost clinics. If you’re near a dental school, students are always looking for patients. And they work under close supervision, so no need to worry. (Sometimes they even pay you to be their patient!)

If you experience any of these worries (or others not mentioned here), they can all be overcome. First, give your nerves an assessment. Do you have an intense, irrational fear—or phobia—of the dentist? It’s possible that this heightened level of fright might be alleviated only through working with a mental health professional

Communicate your feelings to your practitioner. And try this trick: feel gratitude for your teeth and for your access to good care. Research shows that people who practice gratitude are more optimistic, healthier, get better sleep, and, in turn, experience less anxiety.

https://dentalgist.ng/how-to-overcome-your-fear-of-dentists

cc:
dominique
lalasticlala
Re: How To Overcome Your Fear Of Dentists by Davoneskay(m): 4:12pm On Oct 03, 2019
@dentalgist, na d cost deh fear me. I get tooth decay, broken teeth, and tooth gap. And to make it worst, u don't give us cost estimation.
Re: How To Overcome Your Fear Of Dentists by Dentalgist: 5:21pm On Oct 03, 2019
Davoneskay:
@dentalgist, na d cost deh fear me. I get tooth decay, broken teeth, and tooth gap. And to make it worst, u don't give us cost estimation.

It's alway better to be assessed first by the dentist, then cost comes after. For reasons best known to most people, they feel they can diagnose and outline a treatment plan for themselves before coming to the dentist. Our health is not quantifiable, we should know the dentist needs to take other factors into consideration before giving us the best option.
Re: How To Overcome Your Fear Of Dentists by abragred: 3:11pm On Nov 16, 2020
These are so true. I can say that from my experience cause I was afraid of going to the dentist from the time I was little cause the first time I went I was afraid that it would hurt, but my mother told me that I won't feel a thing and that everything will be okay, haha it was not, it was so p[ainful, or at least for a six years old and I didn't wanna hear of the dentist from that point on cause I thought that everyone lied to me and that it's supposed to be painful. It wasn't till I had a real problem and had to go to a dentistry that I research a good one and came across this https://jeffreygrossdds.com/ that my fear went away.

(1) (Reply)

Can I Get Pregnant From Precum / How To Cure Mouth Odour Permanently / Day Time Sex: Implication

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.