Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) (3867 Views)

Europe Faces Worst Drought In 500 Years ( Pics, Video) / New Zealand ISIS Terrorist Stabbed 6 Despite Being Monitored 24/7 By Cop(Pix,vid / Nonhlanhla Zulu: Meet The Female Cop Who Led The Team That Arrested Zuma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:52pm On Oct 02, 2019
Amber Guyger, 31, was convicted of murder on Tuesday for shooting dead her black neighbor Botham Jean, 26, in his Dallas apartment in September 2018.

Guyger, a four-year veteran with Dallas Police, was off duty but still in uniform when she fatally shot Jean in his home on the evening of September 6, 2018.

She told investigators that after a 13.5 hour shift she parked on the fourth floor of her apartment complex's garage rather than the third floor where she lived and found the apartment's door unlocked.

Believing she was at her own apartment and seeing a moving figure who didn't respond to verbal commands, Guyger said she fired two shots at Jean that killed him.

Jean, a 26-year-old accountant, had been eating a bowl of ice cream on the couch before Guyger entered his home.

Prosecutors argued during the trial that Guyger should have noticed she was on the wrong floor and that she missed missed numerous signs before entering the apartment.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7527463/Killer-cop-Amber-Guyger-joked-MLKs-death-texts.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:52pm On Oct 02, 2019
Prosecutors pointed out that Guyger, given she was still in uniform, had a number of non-lethal items attached to her service belt at the time of the shooting, including a stun gun and pepper spray.

Her defense attorneys, however, said she fired in self-defense based on the belief that Jean was a burglar.

They argued in their closing statements on Monday that her belief she was killing an intruder in her home was entirely reasonable and the shooting was a result of 'a series of horrible mistakes'.

In a frantic 911 call played repeatedly during the trial, Guyger said 'I thought it was my apartment' nearly 20 times.

Her lawyers argued that the identical physical appearance of the apartment complex from floor to floor frequently led to tenants to the wrong apartments.

Photos taken by a crime scene analyst were shown during Guyger's murder trial on Wednesday.

The analyst testified that this photo showed Guyger had other option of taser and stun gun strapped to utility belt when she shot dead Jean.

Guyger was captured on an officer's body cam standing in the corridor outside on her phone as CPR was being given to Jean inside, according to prosecutors

Jurors were also shown footage from a body camera worn by one of two officers who arrived at the apartment after Guyger called 911 to report the shooting.

Officers could be seen running towards Jean's apartment

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:52pm On Oct 02, 2019
Jurors were shown photos during the trial that compared Guyger's apartment layout to that of Jean's home.

Prosecutors noted that the apartments looked different.

Picture 1 is officer Guyer's Jean's apartment.

Picture 2 is Jean's apartment days after his death.

Giving her testimony, Guyger reenacted the moment she arrived at the wrong apartment thinking it was her own.

She said she put her key in the apartment lock and the door opened because it hadn't been fully closed.

Guyger said she immediately drew her gun because she thought someone was in her home.

She testified that she was 'scared to death' when she opened the door fully and saw a silhouetted figure standing in the darkness inside.

She told the jury she shouted at Jean: 'Let me see your hands, let me see your hands'.

Guyger explained she couldn't see his hands and that he began coming toward her at a 'fast-paced' walk, yelling 'hey, hey, hey' in an 'aggressive voice'.

She said that is when she fired her gun twice.

'I was scared he was going to kill me,' she said.

She said she intended to kill him when she pulled the trigger because that's what she had been trained to do as a police officer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:53pm On Oct 02, 2019
Jean's mother, Allison, and relatives rejoiced in the courtroom after Guyger was found guilty of murder.

The jury that convicted Guyger was largely made up of women and people of color.

Jean, who grew up in the Caribbean island nation of St. Lucia, came to the U.S. for college and starting his career as an accountant.

His shooting drew widespread attention because of the strange circumstances and because it was one in a string of shootings of unarmed black men by white police officers.

'A 26-year-old college-educated black man, certified public accountant, working for one of the big three accounting firms in the world ... it shouldn't take all of that for unarmed black and brown people in America to get justice,' Benjamin Crump, one of the lawyers for Jean's family, said at a news conference on Tuesday.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:53pm On Oct 02, 2019
Some of Guyger's social media posts were also shown in court as a jury weighed how long her prison sentence should be for the murder of Jean.

The same jury that unanimously found the 31-year-old cop guilty will now consider her fate after hearing additional testimony and evidence that started just hours after her conviction.

She could be sentenced to five to 99 years in prison under Texas law.

Among that evidence shown to the court by prosecutors late Tuesday were copies of social media posts saved and posted by Guyger some of which were about guns and killing.

Prosecutors also showed jurors text messages from Guyger's cellphone that revealed her critical comments about serving with black officers and how she joked about the death of Dr Martin Luther King Jr

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:55pm On Oct 02, 2019
With her heavy service vest, lunch bag, and her backpack in her left arm, Guyger showed jurors how she entered the apartment the night of the shooting

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by starbuck(f): 6:57pm On Oct 02, 2019
Punishment well served

7 Likes

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by BrokeFucker007: 7:02pm On Oct 02, 2019
She out to be executed by hanging or something brutal, they sad thing is that in Naija SARS and police now kill people like chickens. animals are a lot safe in police hands than human beings

4 Likes

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by brodalikeme(m): 7:04pm On Oct 02, 2019
Imagine the nonsense reason for killing this handsome dude.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by Omoluabi16(m): 7:13pm On Oct 02, 2019
Saw this on the BBC yesterday. Sad sad situation this is. Guy wasn't even a thug or something, he worked with PWC.

6 Likes

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by THUNDER4real(m): 7:25pm On Oct 02, 2019
Thank God it's US, If it is here in the zoo, the case will be closed at the point of shooting. They will label the guy a criminal or yahoo yahoo..
Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 02, 2019
She was too trigger fast..that might be her mistake/ crime
....but entering another apartment in error could happen could happen especially when U live in high rise building...it happened me once before. ..I even condemned the woman when I heard the case months ago saying she planned it, perhaps she was a racist and had targeted the guy earlier....
But just a few weeks later after I rushed in judgement, I entered another person’s apartment in error when the elevator stopped at the wrong floor cos someone pressed it and probably ddnt wait to use it....I came out turned left as usual cos my apartment was just beside the elevator unfortunately the occupant ddnt lock his door, i slot the key and tot I made a mistake not locking when I left in the morning, it was night and dark.....what quickly stopped me was that I dont have a rug at the hallway of the entrance... immediately I stepped in I knew I was in the wrong place...I just jéjély use my back to walk out

I expected manslaughter though...the jury kàlà gààn

3 Likes

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by rottennaija(m): 7:27pm On Oct 02, 2019
This is really sad. I feel for both of them. She made a honest mistake and has thrown away her life in the process, you can see by her tears knowing fully well how "too many things had happened too fast".

2 Likes

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by edo3(m): 7:38pm On Oct 02, 2019
Its a pity..
Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by tillaman(m): 7:39pm On Oct 02, 2019
sad
This is serious, with her SM posts you can tell the kind of person she is, she’s one of those white supremacist, come to think of it the whackjob grew up in the Caribbean, I don’t know what kinda person goes around thinking their own race is better than other races, She may have entered the wrong apartment without knowing but I still don’t see a reason to pull the trigger that fast, she could have opted for something else though atleast restrain the young man,
Crazy world yoooo, a world where you can get killed while eating a bowl of ice cream in your own apartment!

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by Tallesty1(m): 7:50pm On Oct 02, 2019
rottennaija:
This is really sad. I feel for both of them. She made a honest mistake and has thrown away her life in the process, you can see by her tears knowing fully well how "too many things had happened too fast".
Don't ever let a woman fool you with her tears bro. Wicked people cry easily and women are naturally wicked, all of them.

You no dey see Patience Ozokwor for movie? Damn, she has pre-wicked tears.
That is, she cries in advance for the atrocities she will soon commit.
Ishilove:

Oga, saying ALL women are wicked is a fallacy of hasty generalisation. I am surprised this is coming from you.
Zachariah chapter 5 vs 5-8.

5 Then the angel who talked with me came out and said to me, “Lift your eyes now, and see what this is that goes forth.”

6 So I asked, “What is it?” And he said, “It is a
basket that is going forth.”

He also said, “This is their resemblance throughout the earth:

7 Here is a lead disc lifted up, and this is a woman sitting inside the basket”;

8 then he said, “This is Wickedness!” And he thrust her down into the basket, and threw the lead cover over its mouth.

Allow me to troll small in peace grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by OdenKelechi(m): 7:51pm On Oct 02, 2019
If she wasn't drunk why will she go to another person's apartment on a totally different level from hers. Her cup don full

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by panafrican(m): 7:52pm On Oct 02, 2019
Check the dates. It is NOT September 2018 but September 2019
Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by marvelous000: 7:55pm On Oct 02, 2019
rottennaija:
Exactly my brda. I feel sorry for her, and think it should be treated as manslaughter. because it seem to be an obvious case of mistaken identity, and she was petrified into pulling the trigger. cos I don't see any rationale behind a career police officer going into her neighbors apartment to shoot him, then call 911 to go through the rigmarole of prosecution that entail heavy punitive repercussion.

lalasticlala, mynd44

1 Like

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by tot(f): 8:09pm On Oct 02, 2019
The annoying thing was how the police force kept trying to malign the guy she shot, saying they found marijuana in his apartment. What does that have to do with him being an innocent victim?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by Nmezor(f): 8:20pm On Oct 02, 2019
This is really terrible... She shouldnt HV fired immediately now...
Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by oz4real83(m): 8:33pm On Oct 02, 2019
rottennaija:
which honest mistake? Check her social media posts prior to the accident. It seems she has been preparing to take the lives of blacks for long.

5 Likes

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by Explorers(m): 8:35pm On Oct 02, 2019
panafrican:
Check the dates. It is NOT September 2018 but September 2019

Shooting occured 2018, over a year ago.

Judge presents Amber Guyger with a BIBLE and hugs her moments after slain accountant's brother embraced the killer cop and forgave her while the victim's mother suggests she use her 10 year sentence to 'change'

Judge Tammy Kemp who presided over Amber Guyger's murder trial presented her with a Bible moments after she was given a 10-year sentence for murdering Botham Jean.

In an astonishing act of compassion, Jean's 18-year-old brother, Brandt (pictured hugging Guyger), asked the judge if he could also hug Guyger, who was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by nnamdiosu(m): 8:41pm On Oct 02, 2019
starbuck:
Punishment well served

And well deserved.
So painful. So so painful.

1 Like

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by missjo(f): 8:54pm On Oct 02, 2019
Among that evidence shown to the court by prosecutors late Tuesday were copies of social media posts saved and posted by Guyger some of which were about guns and killing.

Prosecutors also showed jurors text messages from Guyger's cellphone that revealed her critical comments about serving with black officers and how she joked about the death of Dr Martin Luther King Jr
These were not enough to give her a full sentence.

Even if she was innocent of manslaughter, she could not have escaped being charged with negligent homicide under Texas penal code.

1 Like

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by missjo(f): 8:54pm On Oct 02, 2019
tot:
The annoying thing was how the police force kept trying to malign the guy she shot, saying they found marijuana in his apartment. What does that have to do with him being an innocent victim?
It is normalcheesy
Officers will always try to protect one of their own

1 Like

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by rottennaija(m): 9:01pm On Oct 02, 2019
oz4real83:
which honest mistake? Check her social media posts prior to the accident. It seems she has been preparing to take the lives of blacks for long.

That I had no knowledge of. Can you send the link to it?
Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by rottennaija(m): 9:02pm On Oct 02, 2019
Tallesty1:
Don't ever let a woman fool you with her tears bro. Wicked people cry easily and women are naturally wicked, all of them.

Hmm, I'll keep this in mind
Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by Ishilove: 9:05pm On Oct 02, 2019
Tallesty1:

Oga, saying ALL women are wicked is a fallacy of hasty generalisation. I am surprised this is coming from you.

3 Likes

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by oz4real83(m): 9:37pm On Oct 02, 2019
rottennaija:

That I had no knowledge of. Can you send the link to it?
it is on this same explorer's thread/post after the main report. Refresh yours if it isn't displaying. It may be network problem.
Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by SKhanmi: 10:00pm On Oct 02, 2019
Americans are daily brainwashed to see the black man as a naturally criminal aggressive animal,it settles in their subconscious. It silently affects all their actions even if they deny it. I bet you she'll do the same thing if given a second chance.

3 Likes

Re: US White Female Cop Shot Black Neighbor In His Apartment, Got 10-years(Pics) by Flexherbal(m): 10:31pm On Oct 02, 2019
The woman face be like wahala.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Saudi Kingdom Beheads 16-year-old For Sending Whatsapp Message / Donald Trumps Mugshot Picture Now Most Famous Picture In The World / What I Learned From Covering Get out Bolsanaro Protest In Brazil(photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.