Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,915 members, 7,828,195 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? (11816 Views)

Vat Saga : Robbing Peter To Pay Paul- Who Is Peter And Who Is Paul In This Case / Yoruba Nation: They Are Robbing Peter To Pay Paul – Wole Soyinka / VAT To Fund The New Minimum Wage ( Robbing Peter To Pay Peter) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Nobody: 6:57am On Oct 04, 2019
the redundant coupist / poverty harbinger forever remain the worst scum I ever campaigned for / voted in (2015).

the CLANISH, clueless sadist is all out to milk the common man dry....

i never knew those tears he shed during campaign were CROCODILE"S.

the shithole deserve FAR BETTER!
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by udbyron1(m): 6:58am On Oct 04, 2019
Nigeria I hail..i don't even understand what's going on in Nigeria any longer
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by karo93: 6:58am On Oct 04, 2019
This government is hell bent on impoverishing nigerians....from VAT to tollgate while refusing to pay minimum wage.

We dont want your development PMB/PYO....Just dont make us poorer than you left us.

How can the struggling trader and artisan be the one funding minimum wage they wont receive and jeeps n luxuries for our politicians.

This is wickedness.

The solution to increase revenue is to reduce the cost of governance including largesses to traditional rulers.....if that is done and the money is still not enough then you can try and remove from the masses.

Only a fool will applaud this system that allows the ruling class to retain their wealth and milks the masses dry to sustain a failing system.

1 Like

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by error4040: 6:59am On Oct 04, 2019
their was once a Nation.
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Nobody: 6:59am On Oct 04, 2019
Story. There's no way this move wouldn't have a multiplier effect. The idea of bringing back the toll gate to raise revenue is much better because road users need to also show a sense of belonging. You can imagine the likes of God is Good Motors, Dangote Trucks, Peace Transport, GUO etc with thousands of their vehicles plying Nigerian roads daily for free...their daily toll would be in millions of naira. I understand they pay taxes to the fed and respective state govts as registered companies, they also pay staff salary. In same vein, I pay all these Bills too and if I can bay a toll, they should do the same, likewisebevery other individual. But the levy should be moderately charged. Vat would shoot up unemployment and inflation, directly or indirectly. If our govt was sincere enough, they should have taxed the rich the more and not the poor they're meant to defend. Yeye govt in power.

2 Likes

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by eikechukwu8(m): 7:05am On Oct 04, 2019
although things are getting harder in this country, but i think increasing the VAT is necessary

Anyway, is your laptop faulty, non functioning, need upgrade or maintenance? Do you need I.T Support? Dont worry, we gat you. Check my signature for contact details
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Nobody: 7:07am On Oct 04, 2019
grandstar:
There's no option but to increase VAT. The alternative is to resort to borrowing, which is already getting out of hsnd
there is enough option if only they will stop stealing, how can one man have 30% of the whole estate in a STATE how much does he earn monthly. His children and wife have different complex in many locations within the state, where did they work and earn such money.

2 Likes

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by amazon14: 7:10am On Oct 04, 2019
Robbing poor Nigeria to pay our overfed politicians, is APC way of change/next level.

Olodo government

1 Like

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Royalfurnitures: 7:11am On Oct 04, 2019
The poor are robbed to maintain the expensive lifestyle of the rich, while the south is robbed to maintain the north

Check out my signature for quality and durable furniture for your homes and offices
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Lordpeckxy(m): 7:11am On Oct 04, 2019
ednut1:
Vat in ghana is 12.5 % . Benin 18%. Why we con dey cry
For a Country where The people in Government only Enrich themselves, compare to a country where the leaders think about the betterment of the society, they can even increase the VAT to 15%...
Meanwhile Increase the VAT and we haven't seen water for 2weeks now.!
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by karo93: 7:13am On Oct 04, 2019
fairfora:
Story. There's no way this move wouldn't have a multiplier effect. The idea of bringing back the toll gate to raise revenue is much better because road users need to also show a sense of belonging. You can imagine the likes of God is Good Motors, Dangote Trucks, Peace Transport, GUO etc with thousands of their vehicles plying Nigerian roads daily for free...their daily toll would be in millions of naira. I understand they pay taxes to the fed and respective state govts as registered companies, they also pay staff salary. In same vein, I pay all these Bills too and if I can bay a toll, they should do the same, likewisebevery other individual. But the levy should be moderately charged. Vat would shoot up unemployment and inflation, directly or indirectly. If our govt was sincere enough, they should have taxed the rich the more and not the poor they're meant to defend. Yeye govt in power.

Just so we are clear.... do you actually think any transporter will pay the toll gate fee Haba

The toll gate fee will be paid by the masses by increasing transport fare.

Do you think any sensible company will pay VAT? Haba....they will either increase the price of goods and services or sack workers.

The struggling masses will pay the vat and the toll gate fee.

The system is failing but it is wickedness for the poor masses to make the sacrifices that will support the extravagant lifestyle of the ruling class.

Vat, toll gate, removal of subsidy will all raise funds. But what are we suffering raising funds for? For our politicians to drive prado jeeps? For billions to be allocated to special advisers?

If all the monies used to buy jeeps for polical leaders from local government to federal level is put together wont it raise similar funds to VAT and toll gate?

The system is failing. Yes. But the politicians should make the sacrifices first instead of impoverishing the masses.

2 Likes

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 04, 2019
ok
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by owolabi5: 7:16am On Oct 04, 2019
Are all workers going to benefit?

Only a small fraction of the working class will benefit from the increment.

#No to VAT increase!
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Oshin56(m): 7:16am On Oct 04, 2019
But Peter don't know that they are robbing them to pay Paul, but they still smilin.
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by seunmsg(m): 7:17am On Oct 04, 2019
Nigerians want government to pay N30k minimum wage without increasing taxes. How possible? Where will State government get the money to pay? Federal government is just taking the lashes for the proposed VAT increase on behalf of state government. 85% of VAT goes to the state while FG retains an insignificant 15%. FG is pursuing the policy to help state whether the minimum wage storm that will soon hit them from next year. Without that VAT increase, state governments cannot meet up with their basic obligations.
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by crazygod(m): 7:18am On Oct 04, 2019
ednut1:
Vat in ghana is 12.5 % . Benin 18%. Why we con dey cry
U're quick to compare other counties tax without comparing other indices like their minimum wage, standard of living vs cost of living and political factors. Their govt ain't no kleptomaniacs like urs.

1 Like

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by crazygod(m): 7:21am On Oct 04, 2019
seunmsg:
Nigerians want government to pay N30k minimum wage without increasing taxes. How possible? Where will State government get the money to pay? Federal government is just taking the lashes for the proposed VAT increase on behalf of state government. 85% of VAT goes to the state while FG retains an insignificant 15%. FG is pursuing the policy to help state whether the minimum wage storm that will soon hit them from next year. Without that VAT increase, state governments cannot meet up with their basic obligations.
So what about private sector? Do u think some private sector can afford the minimum wage?
See what is happening is what is I rat race or better yet, a dog chasing its tail. Everything will eventually increase in price, foodstuffs, transport and at the end of the day, we are back to where we started from or even worse.
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by 9jaRealist: 7:22am On Oct 04, 2019
naijadrivablog:
Is Naira and CEDI the same Fact check: 67.15 Nigerian Naira = 1 Ghanaian Cedi

Is the Economies and % of poor masses the same

Can your passport go visa free to most countries

Is their politicians as clueless as ours?

Imagine earning 15,000 Naira and paying a light bill of 5,000 where you live(If that is even a good analogy)/

Naija matter tire person...

Nigerians and the exchange rate obsession... cool

All Ghana did was to RE-DOMINATE the Cedi, by chopping off 5 zeros...
Otherwise, that exchange rate would have read 67.15 Nigerian Naira to 10,000 Ghanaian Cedi.

The fact that 10,000 Cedi became 1 Cedi did NOT make ordinary Ghanaians any richer in real terms.
>
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:22am On Oct 04, 2019
now they want to charge us for calls, sms and data.....
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by orisa37: 7:27am On Oct 04, 2019
Enyimbamercedes:

VAT is not a tax on revenue; it is a tax on consumption. Income tax is a tax on revenue....

Then you increase it to 20 percent.
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Reference(m): 7:28am On Oct 04, 2019
Very apt. Totally true. And every well meaning citizen should wake up and befin to resist this.

I am all for taxation including VAT rises. What I totally detest is that Nigerians are being taxed to feed civil servants and public servants.

Sorry to offend any government worker out there but the truth must be told. You folks constitute no more than 10 percent of the populace of Nigeria but consume almost 70 percent of the resources of this country as expounded in annual budgets at all levels of goverment. There is barely no state or local goverment where the recurrent expenditure (the cost of running goverment) is lower than the business of government itself and the bulk of these sums goes to paying salaries and benefits.

Now goverment workers want more and it is the citizens that have to pay up, citizens that have been railroaded by bad poicies of successive goverments and sharp practices of civil servants. With no respite from capital expenditire votes of the budget that will never be 100 percent fulfilled but recurrent expenditure always up to date, why should any ordinary citizen not resist this.

We say tax the rich and give the poor but why is it the opposite in Nigeria where goverment people are richer than their private and personal sector counterparts at all levels in all professions from the lowly security jobs to the muscular oil industry jobs yet they.want more. Who guarantees jobs thoughtless of new minimum wage when the effects of VAT begin to hit the private sector, will NLC fight for Ade Aluminum Company workers or Hassan Pure Water plc workers....

It is our collective duty as Nigerians to ensure there is always socio-economic justice in Nigeria at all times. This means that if we suffer we all suffer and if we enjoy we all enjoy equally. This is only possible by demanding for good governance for all and a better economy which will profit all.

Nigerians must demand from those getting a raise at their expense to give or give up something in return. The least is better governance. Not a raise for the same bribery, corruption, tardiness and ineptitude that has made all our lives much more difficult to bear.

Yes so that when I go get my passport or drivers licence or renew my passport I get lost in thought thinking I am being served at an eatery not standing accused before a judge.

1 Like

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by seunmsg(m): 7:31am On Oct 04, 2019
crazygod:

So what about private sector? Do u think some private sector can afford the minimum wage?
See what is happening is what is I rat race or better yet, a dog chasing its tail. Everything will eventually increase in price, foodstuffs, transport and at the end of the day, we are back to where we started from or even worse.

Private companies would also find a way to adjust. Minimum wage cannot be increased by about 70% without consequences. Americans have been talking about increasing national minimum wage for some years now without any meaningful headway.
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by 9jaRealist: 7:31am On Oct 04, 2019
Reality is Nigeria has the LOWEST VAT among ECOWAS countries...

VAT is a consumption tax...
Thus the more you consume the more taxes you pay.

However, food and medicine (and basic educational materials) should be excluded from VAT...
While the VAT on luxury items (champagne, luxury cars, etc) should be increased even more.

>
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by four4: 7:31am On Oct 04, 2019
Exc2000:
cool

i hope before Online Dunce and Piglets start blaming Buhari they should read the part that states FG only retains only 15% of VAT while State retains 85%...

Now common sense would clearly show that States cant pay salaries with the new minimum wage structures and without the VAT many state civil servants would no get paid or loose salaries .... This one of Buhari's gift to the States and its workers

Useless waste of space called unpatriotic Nigerians want to enjoy basic amenities like Ghanians, SouthAfricans, US, UK, they want free roads, free health care, everyone want government job, or blue collar office jobs but when you ask them to pay tax or contributing towards national development they wail like imbecilees,

just like JfK said: Patriotism is not always about what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country

and even if you take this freebies loving fools that wail in their own country to ghana , shoutafrica and countries with infrastructures, they still only want to leave off government benefits or constituite nuisance to the countries looking for free money
R

pls can u tell me just one basic amenities DT is working and functions well in your area
And again America as a country had provided there citizens well functioning basic amenities before America govt was asking her citizens to think of what they can do for America before asking what America can do for them but our own here provided us nothing and they ware asking us to think of what we can do for Nigeria before thing of what Nigeria can do for us
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Nobody: 7:45am On Oct 04, 2019
karo93:

Just so we are clear.... do you actually think any transporter will pay the toll gate fee Haba

The toll gate fee will be paid by the masses by increasing transport fare.

Do you think any sensible company will pay VAT? Haba....they will either increase the price of goods and services or sack workers.

The struggling masses will pay the vat and the toll gate fee.

The system is failing but it is wickedness for the poor masses to make the sacrifices that will support the extravagant lifestyle of the ruling class.

Vat, toll gate, removal of subsidy will all raise funds. But what are we suffering raising funds for? For our politicians to drive prado jeeps? For billions to be allocated to special advisers?

If all the monies used to buy jeeps for polical leaders from local government to federal level is put together wont it raise similar funds to VAT and toll gate?

The system is failing.Yes. But the politicians should make the sacrifices first instead of impoverishing the masses.
You just repeated what I said, but in a different way. I mentioned inflation in my post. In my post, I didn't also support the rich rather, I said the rich needed to have been taxed and not the poor. Toll is insignificant but cat is VAT. 200 millions Nigerians buy consumer goods everyday, directly or indirectly but not same number travels on federal roads daily

1 Like

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Reference(m): 7:47am On Oct 04, 2019
seunmsg:

Private companies would also find a way to adjust. Minimum wage cannot be increased by about 70% without consequences. Americans have been talking about increasing national minimum wage for some years now without any meaningful headway.

Find a way means what. They should steal or extort from their clients and customers the way goverment folks do... explain..

The big difference between goverment and non goverment business is that goverment business is mandatory and monopolistic while in most cases private business is optional because it is competitive so how will the non goverment sector raise wages in a competitive environment.

That is why goverment is resistant to reform and restructure and to shed power. Monopoly leads to corruption.
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by optm(m): 7:49am On Oct 04, 2019
Cut down cost of governance and increase taxes on luxry goods to generate fund. Besides , the increase in VAT wouldn't have any positive effect on the common man ;as the funds would be misused as always been the case.

1 Like

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Exc2000: 7:49am On Oct 04, 2019
four4:
pls can u tell me just one basic amenities DT is working and functions well in your area
And again America as a country had provided there citizens well functioning basic amenities before America govt was asking her citizens to think of what you can do for America before what America can do for u but our own here provided us nothing and they ware asking us to think of what we can do for Nigeria before thing of what Nigeria can do for us

both state and federal roads are in my state same as few local government roads, access to free education is available up till secondary school, federal and state instiution and colleges pay the cheapest tuition in africa and the world because the government subsidize it by paying lecturers salary and other running cost, and as much as there is powercut there is still availability of power...

Now the naivity of most of you guys is that america just work up one night with infrastructures, however it took their citizens collective effort and free labour to build their rail revolution(something entitled foolish nigerian can never understand) They all came together to join the army both young and old to fight off British colonialist, and till now their economy is driven by private citizens who invented things that generates revenue...

Even before invention of electricity, their responsible citizens still dont rely on government but strive hard travelling to Africa and Asia to explore and trade across dangerous seas and ocean on wooden sail boats that can drown anytime....

yet same africans would rather eat sleep and reproduce while loooking for who to blame
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by DAVE5(m): 7:49am On Oct 04, 2019
naijadrivablog:

Is Naira and CEDI the same Fact check: 67.15 Nigerian Naira = 1 Ghanaian Cedi

Is the Economies and % of poor masses the same

Can your passport go visa free to most countries

Is their politicians as clueless as ours?

Imagine earning 15,000 Naira and paying a light bill of 5,000 where you live(If that is even a good analogy)/

Naija matter tire person...

My nepa bill in my house is usually in the range of 15,000 - 18,000

I’m not married yet, so basically I stay alone, I’m not usually at home, so all my appliances are off 95% of the time

So 1 month I purposely didn’t use Nepa light in my house, nothing, only bulbs (energy savers) I only use my sound system when I on generator, voila Nepa bill 17,000+

So how would I be happy that my vat is being increased, no mind that ednut1, he has always been a antagonist to public opinion even under glaring misconduct by the government

1 Like

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by ctleurocollege: 7:53am On Oct 04, 2019
Epic post

Contact me for more information if you want to study in Cyprus

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kalu Orji: Entire South-South, South-West Should Support South-East Presidency / Pic: This Road Is Road To Psquare Family House. / Jonathan Is Clean And Honest – El-Rufai In 2007

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.