Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,055 members, 7,828,714 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? (11817 Views)

Vat Saga : Robbing Peter To Pay Paul- Who Is Peter And Who Is Paul In This Case / Yoruba Nation: They Are Robbing Peter To Pay Paul – Wole Soyinka / VAT To Fund The New Minimum Wage ( Robbing Peter To Pay Peter) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by grandstar(m): 7:53am On Oct 04, 2019
Omonigho51:
there is enough option if only they will stop stealing, how can one man have 30% of the whole estate in a STATE how much does he earn monthly. His children and wife have different complex in many locations within the state, where did they work and earn such money.

Even if you stop stealing, it isn't enough. Nigeria only collects about 6% of its GDP as tax. A country like Guatemala which collects about 11% had it's figure condemned as too small. That'll give you an inkling at how small the revenue is.

That's why government is borrowing massively

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Reference(m): 7:58am On Oct 04, 2019
fairfora:
You just repeated what I said, but in a different way. I mentioned inflation in my post. In my post, I didn't also support the rich rather, I said the rich needed to have been taxed and not the poor. Toll is insignificant but cat is VAT.

But like I have said. Who are the rich in Nigeria. Who are the richest working class people in Nigeria if not goverment. Profession for profession a goverment worker is far better off than his non goverment counterpart. Name it.

An average security man will not earn anywhere near a policeman of the same qualifications not to talk of perks both legal and illegal. Doctors, lecturers, oil sector workers name it, goverment workers are better off at the end of the day, month and year for the same amount of skill, effort or risk they bear in conducting business across board.
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by ednut1(m): 8:00am On Oct 04, 2019
DAVE5:

My nepa bill in my house is usually in the range of 15,000 - 18,000

I’m not married yet, so basically I stay alone, I’m not usually at home, so all my appliances are off 95% of the time

So 1 month I purposely didn’t use Nepa light in my house, nothing, only bulbs (energy savers) I only use my sound system when I on generator, voila Nepa bill 17,000+

So how would I be happy that my vat is being increased, no mind that ednut1, he has always been a antagonist to public opinion even under glaring misconduct by the government
i dey come scatter ya wedding cake no worry. We must all suffer this buhari togeda o. Shebi na pple vote am in cheesy
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by DAVE5(m): 8:05am On Oct 04, 2019
seunmsg:
Nigerians want government to pay N30k minimum wage without increasing taxes. How possible? Where will State government get the money to pay? Federal government is just taking the lashes for the proposed VAT increase on behalf of state government. 85% of VAT goes to the state while FG retains an insignificant 15%. FG is pursuing the policy to help state whether the minimum wage storm that will soon hit them from next year. Without that VAT increase, state governments cannot meet up with their basic obligations.

If government utilized the previously collected taxes properly or maybe 50% properly, we won’t have to worry about not being able to pay minimum wage of 30,000

Large chunk of the government budget annually goes to sponsoring the same projects over and over again without fulfilling any of the project once

They’ve been repairing our light, roads, rail system and other infrastructure since time immemorial and still haven’t achieved a thing about the light, no road, no good alternative means of transport

Check it out, no light, no good roads, no government water, meaning you pay tax and still take of what your taxes where supposed to take care of at an even higher cost like you owning a generator, servicing it from time to time, fueling it and still paying estimated light bill for light you did not use, meaning you’re indirectly paying tax twice or thrice

Companies have flooded out of Nigeria because of our epileptic power situation and road network and I guess we should blame the ordinary Nigerian on the street that has no food in his belly

If Nigeria and Nigerians could have 24hours power supply and good roads, a lot of things would automatically fall in place by itself, companies would rush us

1 Like

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by urahara(m): 8:05am On Oct 04, 2019
grandstar:

Even if you stop stealing, it isn't enough. Nigeria only collects about 6% of its GDP as tax. A country like Guatemala which collects about 11% had it's figure condemned as too small. That'll give you an inkling at how small the revenue is.

If poverty stricken Guatemala and Rwanda have tax to gdp ratios as high as 11 percent , Nigeria simply had no excuse.
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by DAVE5(m): 8:09am On Oct 04, 2019
ednut1:
i dey come scatter ya wedding cake no worry. We must all suffer this buhari togeda o. Shebi na pple vote am in cheesy

Oga u no well, my wedding is covered with the blood of Jesus

I know say you go talk nonsense now as I type blood of Jesus, no bring ur atheistic view enter my blood of Jesus
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 04, 2019
ednut1:
Vat in ghana is 12.5 % . Benin 18%. Why we con dey cry

what is the inflation rate ? its easy to chant over VAT is the lowest in the world buh is our inflation rate not one of the biggest in the world.
The only effect these policy can generate is an increàse to inflation, how do you eradicate poverty when cost of living keeps gettin high. Ask urself as a nigerian since you where were born what as the govt provided for you. why can't we ever gain from them beside #500 or cup rice dey share during election.

1 Like

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Reference(m): 8:17am On Oct 04, 2019
grandstar:

What does it borrow to do. I am sure you will say to build roads and rail lines... good.

But the borrowing goes into the budget to 'balance it'. Meaning there is something else at the other end of the see-saw causing the imbalance and this is the 300 pound gorilla called the 'cost of governance'.

The World Bank and IMF has repeatedly told us for decades that we spend far too much money in running the country. That is why we have to borrow to 'stock the shop'.

And like I have said severally, if you employ ten yupee barbers in your saloon and you get only ten customers each day indeed you will have to borrow from neighbour 'Iya Basira' who has three girls from 'the village' serving a hundred customers when you need to change your clippers.

It is the common sense we juat seem to lack in Nigeria. No problem. But why do we have to pay for this foolishness. What is goverment doing to balance its own books. Or Nigerians will rather pay more tax and watch Dino buy more Ferraris from the tax...

1 Like

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by ednut1(m): 8:18am On Oct 04, 2019
ericsmith:

what is the inflation rate ? its easy to chant over VAT is the lowest in the world buh is our inflation rate not one of the biggest in the world.
The only effect these policy can generate is an increàse to inflation, how do you eradicate poverty when cost of living keeps gettin high. Ask urself as a nigerian since you where were born what as the govt provided for you. why can't we ever gain from them beside #500 or cup rice dey share during election.
subsidized fuel
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Nobody: 8:25am On Oct 04, 2019
Reference:

But like I have said. Who are the rich in Nigeria. Who are the richest working class people in Nigeria if not goverment. Profession for profession a goverment worker is far better off than his non goverment counterpart. Name it.

An average security man will not earn anywhere near a policeman of the same qualifications not to talk of perks both legal and illegal. Doctors, lecturers, oil sector workers name it, goverment workers are better off at the end of the day, month and year for the same amount of skill, effort or risk they bear in conducting business across board.
Agreed. The rich need to be taxed, not the poor which is our standpoint from what I've read in your posts. How do we determine the rich?...by their income and worth. The majority of federal workers are poor, from the police, to the military and civil servants. It's only the directors, senators, perm specs, ministers, governors etc who are rich in pub sectors not leaving behind the NA members. Same applies to the private sector of our economy. Why is the govt of the day is unserious...by planning to put much more burden on the masses by paying tax, the aforementioned category of people need to be taxed. They need to go to NA and ask them to cut down their salaries, allowances and other emoluments and use same to pay the controversial 30k minimum wage. Raising vat would amount to robbing peter to pay paul. But in my view, toll fee reintroduction, though insignificantly...say 100 naira min, would go a long way in achieving their goals, in addition to taxing the rich. 200 million Nigerians would feel the heat, should VAT be raised because they buy the so-called consumer goods daily( but same number of people don'tteavel daily), either directly or indirectly and that would in turn, increase inflation and unemployment because every little penny made as profit on say, every 5 naira biscuit produced would have a huge effect on the company producing it. If they make 10m pieces of biscuits weekly, you know how much would have been lost. Cost of production is ever-increasing and so, they might wish to lay off staff to remain in business. Price increase per piece of biscuits due to VAT increase would also cause inflation. But you'd agree with me that not all the 200 million Nigerians travel daily so, the toll, if well managed, would have far less impact on the poor and would do some magic.
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Kingofdemonss: 8:25am On Oct 04, 2019
[s]
Exc2000:

both state and federal roads are in my state same as few local government roads, access to free education is available up till secondary school, federal and state instiution and colleges pay the cheapest tuition in africa and the world because the government subsidize it by paying lecturers salary and other running cost, and as much as there is powercut there is still availability of power...

Now the naivity of most of you guys is that america just work up one night with infrastructures, however it took their citizens collective effort and free labour to build their rail revolution(something entitled foolish nigerian can never understand) They all came together to join the army both young and old to fight off British colonialist, and till now their economy is driven by private citizens who invented things that generates revenue...

Even before invention of electricity, their responsible citizens still dont rely on government but strive hard travelling to Africa and Asia to explore and trade across dangerous seas and ocean on wooden sail boats that can drown anytime....

yet same africans would rather eat sleep and reproduce while loooking for who to blame
[/s]
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by babajero(m): 8:26am On Oct 04, 2019
ednut1:
And Ghana is developed than Nigeria with more jobs
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 04, 2019
ednut1:
subsidized fuel

Are you kiddin me, becos only a kid would think there is a subsidy.
In other countries, is subsidy the only thing citizens enjoy from a responsible govt.
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by grandstar(m): 8:38am On Oct 04, 2019
Reference:

What does it borrow to do. I am sure you will say to build roads and rail lines... good.

But the borrowing goes into the budget to 'balance it'. Meaning there is something else at the other end of the see-saw causing the imbalance and this is the 300 pound gorilla called the 'cost of governance'.

The World Bank and IMF has repeatedly told us for decades that we spend far too much money in running the country. That is why we have to borrow to 'stock the shop'.

And like I have said severally, if you employ ten yupee barbers in your saloon and you get only ten customers each day indeed you will have to borrow from neighbour 'Iya Basira' who has three girls from 'the village' serving a hundred customers when you need to change your clippers.

It is the common sense we juat seem to lack in Nigeria. No problem. But why do we have to pay for this foolishness. What is goverment doing to balance its own books. Or Nigerians will rather pay more tax and watch Dino buy more Ferraris from the tax...

Simply cutting down the size of the civil service and ending petrol subsidies will improve government finances by over a trillion.

Nevertheless, there's still a need for money to fix and build infrastructure for instance.

A country like Nigeria should be spending about 5% of its GDP a year on public investment. That's almost the present tax collection.

Revenue simply needs to increase

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by newbalancejobs(m): 8:40am On Oct 04, 2019
2019 Nigerian Navy recruitment for graduates
Nigerian Navy recruitment for graduates, October – November 2019
Applicants can now send in their application for Nigerian Navy recruitment which is meant for graduates.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW!
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by gabicon: 8:43am On Oct 04, 2019
We have a perspective problem in Nigeria, FG thinks that raising money by excessive taxes will bring funds for development, I think this perspective is a flawed argument. Citizens are spending 2.5% more on goods and services, citizens are paying 5% taxes on online transactions, citizens are going to be paying toll gate fees, customs are impounding vehicles of citizens in the name of charges, subsidy will be removed in the next 2 years. All these are negative indications for production. The government will end up taxing the same people over and over again, they will need to be careful because people will most likely cut spending which could cumulate into a recession. The government needs more of its citizens productive, in the sense that don't scrap the bottom of the pot for leftovers, instead get a bigger pot and a bigger fire and enjoy the soup. We need venture capital grants, customs holiday to bring in equipment and materials, then electricity.
There are no quick fixes it will take time.

1 Like

Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by optm(m): 8:59am On Oct 04, 2019
Exc2000:

both state and federal roads are in my state same as few local government roads, access to free education is available up till secondary school, federal and state instiution and colleges pay the cheapest tuition in africa and the world because the government subsidize it by paying lecturers salary and other running cost, and as much as there is powercut there is still availability of power...

Now the naivity of most of you guys is that america just work up one night with infrastructures, however it took their citizens collective effort and free labour to build their rail revolution(something entitled foolish nigerian can never understand) They all came together to join the army both young and old to fight off British colonialist, and till now their economy is driven by private citizens who invented things that generates revenue...

Even before invention of electricity, their responsible citizens still dont rely on government but strive hard travelling to Africa and Asia to explore and trade across dangerous seas and ocean on wooden sail boats that can drown anytime....

yet same africans would rather eat sleep and reproduce while loooking for who to blame
yes Mr wise Nigerian and their govt maintains an extravagant life style why the citizens are poor , and their govt get fat salaries for doing nothing and looting the national treasury why they pay the workers meager amounts as salaries. How well has the govt utilized resources at her disposal? Do u think the new funds would be used any differently ? Mismanagement and lack of accountability and transparency has been this country's problem . These should be tackled first before causing more unnecessary hardships on the masses by increasing VAT
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by incentive: 9:00am On Oct 04, 2019
Hmm.. it is well!
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Exc2000: 9:03am On Oct 04, 2019
optm:
yes Mr wise Nigerian and their govt maintains an extravagant life style why the citizens are poor , and their govt get fat salaries for doing nothing and looting the national treasury why they pay the workers meager amounts as salaries. How well has the govt utilized resources at her disposal? Do u think the new funds would be used any differently ? Mismanagement and lack of accountability and transparency has been this country's problem . These should be tackled first before causing more unnecessary hardships on the masses by increasing VAT

then tackle it with your pvc and pay your taxes so that inec can have funds to give an election
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by ginggerxy: 9:06am On Oct 04, 2019
ednut1:
we dey cry because ưe know say dem no go use the money do any thing.
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Kingofdemonss: 9:07am On Oct 04, 2019
[s]
Exc2000:

then tackle it with your pvc and pay your taxes so that inec can have funds to give an election
[/s]
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by ednut1(m): 9:07am On Oct 04, 2019
ericsmith:

Are you kiddin me, becos only a kid would think there is a subsidy.
In other countries, is subsidy the only thing citizens enjoy from a responsible govt.
how much is fuel in ghana and benin rep. Shebi u asked for one thing
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by optm(m): 9:13am On Oct 04, 2019
Exc2000:

you are taking the discuss elsewhere. This is about an increase in VAT which u re making an excuse for such at this point in time. This ain't about an election but a policy to be implemented . You have deviated
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Exc2000: 9:22am On Oct 04, 2019
optm:
you are taking the discuss elsewhere. This is about an increase in VAT which u re making an excuse for such at this point in time. This ain't about an election but a policy to be implemented . You have deviated

you brought issues of politicians being expensive and i ask you to vote for cheaper ones... but till then we need 85% of vat to enable state government pay workers like teachers and doctors... unless you have a fast alternative that can cater for wage bill increase due to upward review of salaries and minimum wage then pa your tax and stop complaining
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by arcdone(m): 9:32am On Oct 04, 2019
Its well.... All I know is that we will get it right one day
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by optm(m): 9:40am On Oct 04, 2019
Exc2000:

you brought issues of politicians being expensive and i ask you to vote for cheaper ones... but till then we need 85% of vat to enable state government pay workers like teachers and doctors... unless you have a fast alternative that can cater for wage bill increase due to upward review of salaries and minimum wage then pa your tax and stop complaining
yes I have an alternative which is the govt cutting down the cost of governance and increasing taxation on luxry goods. This alone would Carter much for the increase in salaries. Of course typical of them not to cause any strain on themselves but the already impovrished masses. Do u know inrease in VAT would cause an inflation?then, of what benefit would the increase in salary be then if that's their excuse for wanting an increase in VAT. ?
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Kingofdemonss: 9:49am On Oct 04, 2019
[s]
Exc2000:

[/s]
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Kingofdemonss: 9:50am On Oct 04, 2019
[s]
Exc2000:

[/s]
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by four4: 9:56am On Oct 04, 2019
[quote author=Exc2000 post=82822552]

[/public pls which state be that? That ur state is not part of this Nigeria if I am right. Free public education you call those breeding ground for next generation of Agbero? If that so called free public school is so good why all your politicians no they send there children go their or that your so called medical facilities so good why your politicians running to Indian as medical tourist? If so call electricity is so good why their is Budget for generating plant in Aso rock?............... Etc

If I may ask you, what i ve benefit from the sacrifices that I have being making all this years? Electricity had been invented already, we do not need rocket science to make it available for everyone but here in my country billions or trillions had been expended on it and still yet to get 12 hrs straight electricity pa day .................. Same to education, road, rail .....etc virtually nothing is working in Nigeria
Average Nigerians provide everything from security to education to medical to electricity to road etc his or herself
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by harjibolar10(m): 10:08am On Oct 04, 2019
orisa37:

Increase VAT to 10percent.

It's a Tax on Revenue. Those who don't earn can't pay no Tax. That's why we call it TPM, Tax Payers Money.
Do you even understand how VAT works?

Well, FYI, VAT liability is cumulatively borne by the final consumer. So it's not a matter of earning income before paying VAT, as every living soul in this country pay the tax
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by Nobody: 10:47am On Oct 04, 2019
ednut1:
how much is fuel in ghana and benin rep. Shebi u asked for one thing

Very Gud, ghana & benin u mentioned, all there activities don't depend greatly on fuel consumption, they've stable electricity.
Guy sit down n imagine a nigeria where only car owners & bikes need fuel ...even if its sold @ #300 of what effect would it be compare to what we have. everyday we all buy fuel, even to charge
In developed countries people careless abt fuel, infact a citizen can go a whole year without consuming fuel. minus fuel overhead from businesses in nigeria n tell urself why businesses won't survive robustly, our govt know all these things buh they are spellbound to keep us in impoverish.
Re: VAT Increment: Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? by misterjosh(m): 11:14am On Oct 04, 2019
You want to cover the deficit gap in government finance... the yeye people in government have refused to cut their own spending, yet want the citizen to pay more to fund the yeye government. No logic in that at all angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Peter Obi: I’m Preoccupied With Thoughts Of A Better Nigeria, Not 2023 Elections / Pic: This Road Is Road To Psquare Family House. / Stella Okotete: Segun Adebayo Criticises Buhari For Failure To Indict NEXIM Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.