Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,229 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:06 AM

[Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" (20036 Views)

Getting First Job As A Developer / How Did You Land You First Job As A Self-taught Developer? / Working Or Looking For Foreign Remote Software Developer Job As A Nigerian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by SIMEONMPEE(m): 2:20pm On Oct 06, 2019
Someone here may need the info on my signature, kindly check it out...
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by Tedsart(m): 2:20pm On Oct 06, 2019
It is a good one, but as a Nigerian you have to get another job to complement it.

1 Like

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by fotadmowmend(m): 2:21pm On Oct 06, 2019
udoekere:
Hi Nairalanders, i want to go into web design/development so i want to ask,what are my chances of getting a job as a web developer or what are the works of a web developer?
Pls Help..

Go into it first and you will know the difference between getting employed and getting empowered

3 Likes

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by udemzyudex(m): 2:21pm On Oct 06, 2019
codemaniacs:
if you didn't study computer science or computer engineering go and get a job.... unless you want to be a freelancer.. no one would hire a self taught programmer in Nigeria .

this is my opinion..

You're not 100% correct.

6 Likes

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by ehinorlive: 2:22pm On Oct 06, 2019
just know how to create a website very well job will come
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by MedicH: 2:26pm On Oct 06, 2019
sparkle7:
Web developer is a type of programmer that builds web applications using frontend and back end tools. So the technologies you need is HTML and CSS (Paramount) JavaScript, a back end language like php or ruby or python or java, then databases like mysql, postgres or nosql databases like mongodb.
So as you can see the learning curve is deep from HTML to CSS to JavaScript to php using a database like mysql or mariadb.
If you enter into web dev just to get a job then you might go hungry and lose the interest in it.
One thing people fail to know is that programming is not like other business where you start seeing returns immediately.
It takes time bro and experience. Just like an investment you make on yourself and reap the rewards later.
You can work on andela, do freelance works on fiverr or run projects for computer science students.
My 2 cents.

Best input

4 Likes

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by uuzba(m): 2:26pm On Oct 06, 2019
udoekere:
pls explain this freelance of a thing 4 me and like what projects can i run 4 computer sci.
Freelance is awuf work na.
Sit in your house, carry your computer and be programming up and down. Tell your friend about it. People will be giving you stuff to program. You just sit at home and be doing it. No office, no salary.
If they pay you, thank God.
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 06, 2019
codemaniacs:
if you didn't study computer science or computer engineering go and get a job.... unless you want to be a freelancer.. no one would hire a self taught programmer in Nigeria .

this is my opinion..
Don't be ignorant bruh! Kindly do some research on your part before speaking.

9 Likes

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by uuzba(m): 2:27pm On Oct 06, 2019
udemzyudex:

You're not 100% correct.
Is he 99% correct?

1 Like

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by EmekaBlue(m): 2:30pm On Oct 06, 2019
self employed noni
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by eteforlor(m): 2:31pm On Oct 06, 2019
codemaniacs:

this is my opinion..

It's not true, I have a friend who studied accounting, he is now working as a developer in VI, he is a self taught developer.

I am also a self taught developer, though, I studied computer science in Nigeria Uni.

All you need to become a developer are passion, hardwork and creative ability.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by udemzyudex(m): 2:32pm On Oct 06, 2019
uuzba:

Is he 99% correct?

Ok
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by jossydee1: 2:36pm On Oct 06, 2019
sparkle7:
Web developer is a type of programmer that builds web applications using frontend and back end tools. So the technologies you need is HTML and CSS (Paramount) JavaScript, a back end language like php or ruby or python or java, then databases like mysql, postgres or nosql databases like mongodb.
So as you can see the learning curve is deep from HTML to CSS to JavaScript to php using a database like mysql or mariadb.
If you enter into web dev just to get a job then you might go hungry and lose the interest in it.
One thing people fail to know is that programming is not like other business where you start seeing returns immediately.
It takes time bro and experience. Just like an investment you make on yourself and reap the rewards later.
You can work on andela, do freelance works on fiverr or run projects for computer science students.
My 2 cents.

You have said it well.

Just an addition...

I will advise you that you start with the knowledge of HTML and CSS.

When I started programming, I had no mentor to guide me. It's the zeal that I had so I started learning on my own. I started with one of the tough languages (Java). It was latter I learnt HTML, CSS. I soon realised Java is not very lucrative anymore. But with consistency and determination, I kept learning and I'm still learning.

You have lots to learn when it comes to programming and you can't know it all.

So start with HTML and CSS. Later you can move to Javascript. By then, you would have got the understanding of the industry and know what next you should learn.

It's an interesting and challenging industry, I tell you.

9 Likes

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by eph12(m): 2:38pm On Oct 06, 2019
See people saying freelancing, fiverr upwork etc like its that easy to make money there lol

2 Likes

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by Grupo(m): 2:40pm On Oct 06, 2019
codemaniacs:

this is my opinion..

Liar.

If you know what you are doing, people will hire you.

The tech industry is the only place where you are not asked for certification or grade before you are hired. Just be good and show previous projects you have done.

Most of the good programmers in Nigeria today didn't study computer science.

Pcguru, a popular programmer on this platform didn't study computer science.

Dhtml18, who has now deactivated his account, another popular programmer here didn't study computer science. In fact, Dhtml18's case is very interesting, because he studied medicine and surgery, became a qualified doctor but he is not practicing medicine, rather he's programming and he has worked with many notable organizations.

Note: there is a world of difference between a web programmer and a WordPress installer.

14 Likes

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by jossydee1: 2:40pm On Oct 06, 2019
codemaniacs:

this is my opinion..

THIS IS EXTREMELY WRONG.

The industry cares more about what you can deliver. If you are good, know one cares about what your credentials (academic) say

4 Likes

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by Xisnin(m): 2:45pm On Oct 06, 2019
It all depends on how skilled you are.
Certificates doesn't matter in this line of work.

1 Like

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by checkedout: 2:55pm On Oct 06, 2019
udoekere:
Hi Nairalanders, i want to go into web design/development so i want to ask,what are my chances of getting a job as a web developer or what are the works of a web developer?
Pls Help..

The first commenter has said enough, however, to get a job is no big deal cos a lot of companies need Front and Back end developer. More so, there are a lot of remote jobs for programmers and IT guys . Don't be scared of the future as you can start your future now.

Happy Learning

3 Likes

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by ugwum007(m): 2:56pm On Oct 06, 2019
codemaniacs:

this is my opinion..

Oga, you lie. I didn't study computer science and I have never been to a computer school or so.

1 Like

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by timbs001(m): 2:57pm On Oct 06, 2019
codemaniacs:

this is my opinion..

Wrong assumption. I am self taught and I've had the privilege of working for top tech companies here and abroad.

3 Likes

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by THEMODSARECRAZY: 2:58pm On Oct 06, 2019
sparkle7:
My 2 cents.
nicely put together, many people also forget that programming is DRIVEN BY PASSION, it's not something you just learn and start doing, you'll get frustrated in the long run, maybe he should try entering other aspects like video editing, Photoshop and the likes

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by TheManOfTheYear: 3:00pm On Oct 06, 2019
codemaniacs:

this is my opinion..
Your opinion my friend is only valid in your coconut head

1 Like

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by Xavi2019: 3:01pm On Oct 06, 2019
codemaniacs:

this is my opinion..

This is so heartbreaking to read, I have a strong interest in programming, but I didn't study computer science cry
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by kingkuntaval: 3:03pm On Oct 06, 2019
codemaniacs:

this is my opinion..

Definitely not true.. Two friends at Andela, and NONE of them read either computer engineering or compSci. As a matter of fact Nigerian Uni's teach u less than 2% of what you really need to thrive in the real world.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by TheManOfTheYear: 3:04pm On Oct 06, 2019
jossydee1:

You have said it well.

Just an addition...

I will advise you that you start with the knowledge of HTML and CSS.

When I started programming, I had no mentor to guide me. It's the zeal that I had so I started learning on my own. I started with one of the tough languages (Java). It was latter I learnt HTML, CSS. I soon realised Java is not very lucrative anymore. But with consistency and determination, I kept learning and I'm still learning.

You have lots to learn when it comes to programming and you can't know it all.

So start with HTML and CSS. Later you can move to Javascript. By then, you would have got the understanding of the industry and know what next you should learn.

It's an interesting and challenging industry, I tell you.
Tell me more about the emboldened.
Because I'm planning on specializing in Java
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by kingkuntaval: 3:06pm On Oct 06, 2019
udemzyudex:

You're not 100% correct.

He isn't even 15% correct, 100 is an overkill.
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by DaddyMorenike: 3:06pm On Oct 06, 2019
1x(double chance.)
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by wickyyolo: 3:09pm On Oct 06, 2019
damosade:
Best decision,future belongs to the tech guys

Future belongs to Pastors ;-)
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by brushesz: 3:11pm On Oct 06, 2019
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by sparog(m): 3:13pm On Oct 06, 2019
codemaniacs:

this is my opinion..

What planet are you from?

I know folks that didn't study computer science and they get jobs from both government agencies and multinationals.

If you're good you're good. The computer science stuff can only be an added advantage.

1 Like

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by soleexx(m): 3:14pm On Oct 06, 2019
udoekere:
Pls Help..

To become a web developer you have to get a mentor or a professional to teach you.
.. after successful 4month course you can apply for jobs or work as a freelance...
Becoming a web developer, you must be perfect after successful completion in either Front-end or backend...don't expectt to be good in d two same time within shot learning.... So if ur power rating is in Front-end make sure u work hard on it...and be unique...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Let's Stop Talking About Password Strength / Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? / Female OAU Graduate Wins N1m In iROKOtv Programming Contest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.