Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,141 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions (49747 Views)

Job Offer Without Basic Salary But On Performance. Is It Worth Travelling Far? / Should I Accept A Federal Government Job Or Travel Over Seas? / Top5 Questions You Should Never Leave An Interview Without Asking An Interviewer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:16pm On Oct 04, 2019
Indeed getting a new job always calls for celebration! The question is; do you actually want to work for the company? It’s important to prioritize what is most important to you and evaluate how the offer at hand aligns with your top priorities and your other current options. Even in a tight job market, it’s not always in your best interest to accept the first job offer you receive. And what if you’re faced with more than one appealing option? That’s why it is good to ask yourself these five questions before taking the job offer in order to ensure peaceful stay at work.

1. DOES THE OFFER ADD UP?

When you’ve been job hunting for a while, it can be tempting to accept the first thing that comes along-but failing to consider the longer-term career implications can be a costly mistake. Ensure everything in the documents adds up to what you were offered verbally already. Details to look out for are title, department, location, reporting line, work hours, vacation entitlement, salary, benefits, start date and more. Clarify any discrepancies with the HR representative sooner rather than later. I have seen candidates rejecting job offers solely due to the written offer containing wrong information; this is obviously not a great impression for any candidate.

2. WHAT’S THE REAL JOB YOU ARE BEING HIRED TO DO?

The job ad and even the job description seldom reflect the true requirements of a job, therefore, they do not tell a complete story of what exactly you are being hired to do. The last thing you want to happen is to discover that there are unrealistic expectations and turnaround times for projects. When you know the details of the job you are being hired to do, you can create your 30-60-90 Day Plan so that you can start the job running.

3. WHAT IS THE BENEFITS PACKAGE?

You may have been asked for your salary expectations in the interview, but it’s crucial to know the details of the benefits package before you accept the job. What is the salary and how does the bonus system work? How much annual leave will you receive? While these questions should never be asked in a job interview, it’s absolutely crucial to clarify this information once you get the job.

4. HOW WILL THE JOB POSITION YOU FOR THE FUTURE?

In today’s job market, no position is forever. With each step you take, you must evaluate how it will position you for the future. Ask yourself; will this job keep you sharp? Will the day to day responsibilities let you hone skills that will make you even more marketable in the future? Does this position come with increased responsibility? Will working at this company give your resume added credibility? Does this job give you a “foot in the door” to make a desired career change? Will you have access to useful training and networking opportunities? It is important to provide answer to the questions.

5. IS THE LOCATION GOING TO WORK FOR YOU?

Lastly, having consider all the above listed questions, ask yourself whether the location is going to work for you. By this I mean both the office layout as well as the physical location of the office. Some people can’t stand an open office landscape, others thrive. Some of us love an hour’s commute in the morning as it gives them some quality alone time. Others think a minute commuting is a minute wasted. You need to visualize what will be like to travel there and back, day out and day in.

SOURCE: https://patrickokunima.com/warning-do-not-accept-a-job-offer-without-asking-these-five-questions/

35 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:16pm On Oct 04, 2019
Did you find it helpful? Read more articles like this HERE!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by cassidy1996(m): 5:33pm On Oct 04, 2019
good

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by Jay5mie: 6:40pm On Oct 04, 2019
Brother in Nigeria you don't have a choice.

75 Likes

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by PapaNnamdi: 7:34pm On Oct 04, 2019
I once asked the MD, why are there too many females in this organization and you are the only male here,

he walked me out of his office

107 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by ursullalinda(f): 7:50pm On Oct 04, 2019
Hmmm in Naija is not applicable. The moment u say no a thousand and one million pple are saying yes

48 Likes

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:50pm On Oct 04, 2019
PapaNnamdi:
I once asked the MD, why are there too many females in this organization and you are the only male here,

Papa Nnamdi, U sef neva ready begin work!  cheesy

PapaNnamdi:

lol, right from front desk, when I wrote my name, I already started eyeing the ladies there,
that MD is a bastard,
using office to straff beautiful ladies
Lol cheesy.
We know now.
U don dey reason some bakasi already.
Bad Papa!
cheesy wink

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:51pm On Oct 04, 2019
Good and informative thread.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by b0rn2fuck(m): 7:51pm On Oct 04, 2019
No bi when hunger wan kill person, if hunger strike person wella, you go even accept to bomb site for G boys

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by qanda: 7:53pm On Oct 04, 2019
Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by Katier00(f): 7:54pm On Oct 04, 2019
Jay5mie:
Brother in Nigeria you don't have a choice.
don't settle for the less. You have a choice and you can forge your path

25 Likes

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by FuckDaMods: 7:54pm On Oct 04, 2019
Nigerians just love rushing into jobs that will turn them to slaves.
I thank God for my father that gave me a company to run. God punish all those wicked employers.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by RevengeNimi(m): 7:55pm On Oct 04, 2019
post=82842379:
Good and informative thread.

Omo ale!

Are you looking for job ni?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by Dpharisee: 7:55pm On Oct 04, 2019
BREAKING NEWS

AZ Alkmaar fans are staging a protest outside the AFAS Stadion calling for manager Arne Slot to be sacked after their embarrassing draw against Manchester United last night . [BBC Sports]

6 Likes

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by felixmuyiwa: 7:55pm On Oct 04, 2019
From HR that act like a God

1 Like

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by MedicH: 7:55pm On Oct 04, 2019
As if u have a choice in a we Nigeria. Your employers self de act like they're doing u a huge favour.

9 Likes

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by Onyi22(f): 7:56pm On Oct 04, 2019
I don't understand this write up

3 Likes

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by shogz89: 7:57pm On Oct 04, 2019
Bargain on net.. Let the net be expressly stated in the contract.. They will say they will pay you 200k gross,, by the time you see alert you will be seeing 90k. grin

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by NgoJobsNigeria: 7:57pm On Oct 04, 2019
Great tips

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 04, 2019
I think hunger of unemployment never wire this OPgrin
The unemployed would see your advice as 'story for the gods'

Your advice is good for those who feel like switching jobs.

Kudos though

24 Likes

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by Rapmoney(m): 7:57pm On Oct 04, 2019
These are not applicable as regards the Nigerian society. How many Nigerians work with clear job descriptions? Only one man na secretary, still come be PA, still be driver, and still dey act as PRO...wetin self?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by freeman1010: 7:57pm On Oct 04, 2019
No 4 is very important.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by Afamed: 7:58pm On Oct 04, 2019
RevengeNimi:

Omo ale!

Are you looking for job ni?
Your post is totally uncalled for

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by yomalex(m): 7:59pm On Oct 04, 2019
Important
Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by Babzrockman: 7:59pm On Oct 04, 2019
FuckDaMods:
I thank God for my father that gave me a company to run. God punish all those wicked employers.

Congratulations bro! U should be eternally grateful to your father... He's your hero.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by InvertedHammer: 8:01pm On Oct 04, 2019
/
You can only bargain if you have the bargaining power. You dey negotiate for N70k salary, one olodo chook head for window shout "oga I go collect N40k o!"

Beat that.

/

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 04, 2019
grin angry angry
Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by tete7000(m): 8:03pm On Oct 04, 2019
FuckDaMods:

Hope you are not one of the wicked employer in your papa's company?

10 Likes

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:04pm On Oct 04, 2019
PapaNnamdi:

Is this a joke? grin

1 Like

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by HigherEd: 8:06pm On Oct 04, 2019
You can as well get the job and resign if things don't pan out well lol

2 Likes

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by LORDKing001: 8:06pm On Oct 04, 2019
PapaNnamdi:

Swear shocked

1 Like

Re: Warning: Do Not Accept A Job Offer Without Asking These Five Questions by LORDKing001: 8:08pm On Oct 04, 2019
Babzrockman:

Congratulations bro! U should be eternally grateful to your
father... He's your hero.
Can I summit my résumé, Please?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sad But True Fact Most Nigerian Graduates Face Everyday(pic) / 2019 NNPC Recruitment CBT Nationwide Fixed For June 1 / Nigerian Air Force Airmen & Airwomen Recruitment 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.