Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,740 members, 7,809,832 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

The Atheistic Burden Of Proof - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Atheistic Burden Of Proof (665 Views)

The Atheistic Side Of Christians / Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? / What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Atheistic Burden Of Proof by johnydon22(m): 7:50am On Oct 06, 2019
My dear fellow atheist, let's get something straightened up here because I've noticed you guys mix things up a whole lot.

A claim can go either way - Negative or positive.

God exists - is a positive claim for which one can rightly assert demands evidence, either logically deductive or empirical, which ever way you think is necessary.

God does not exist - Is a negative claim for which one should also have evidence for, either logically deductive or at least empirical falsification.

God does not exist isn't a response to God exist, it is in itself a counter claim, not a response.

There is a difference between responsorial unbelief and outrightly claiming the negate.

"I have a ball"

"I don't believe you" - This is a response to my claim demanding substantiation.

But

"I have a ball"

"No, you don't" - this isn't a response to my claim, it is in fact outrightly making a counter claim on the negative.

There is no God or God(s) isn't a response to "There is a God" it's a counter claim.

So, please, remember that the burden of proof falls on either side of a claim.

"I don't believe you" is a more appropriate term for a non-negating unbelief.

You people seem to conflate these things a lot. Absolving yourselves of the burden of proof of your counter claim while using arguments for a responsorial unbelief.

You can't have it either way.

It is either you say, I don't believe there is a God as a response to the claim that there is one.

Or you use, "there is no God" as a direct claim otherwise requiring evidence or reason on your part.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Atheistic Burden Of Proof by MrPresident1: 8:15am On Oct 06, 2019
Academic thrash

Of no use in the real world

1 Like

Re: The Atheistic Burden Of Proof by johnydon22(m): 8:25am On Oct 06, 2019
MrPresident1:
Academic thrash

Of no use in the real world

That's why we have you watching out and waiting for Christ's second coming.

What could be more useful than that?

So, why not go back to being useful while we wallow in the canal useless academic trash?

Fair?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Atheistic Burden Of Proof by DeSepiero(m): 8:42am On Oct 06, 2019
I can agree.

How do you see these views:

I don't believe that God exists
I believe that God does not exist.

Do you feel they're same - atheism?
Re: The Atheistic Burden Of Proof by MrPresident1: 8:49am On Oct 06, 2019
johnydon22:

That's why we have you watching out and waiting for Christ's second coming.

What could be more useful than that?

So, why not go back to being useful while we wallow in the canal useless academic trash?

Fair?

No. I will not have you litter the forum with academic trash with no use in the real world
Re: The Atheistic Burden Of Proof by johnydon22(m): 11:09am On Oct 06, 2019
MrPresident1:

No. I will not have you litter the forum with academic trash with no use in the real world

It is already done. Would you have me delete the post?
Re: The Atheistic Burden Of Proof by johnydon22(m): 11:12am On Oct 06, 2019
DeSepiero:
I can agree.

How do you see these views:

I don't believe that God exists
I believe that God does not exist.

Do you feel they're same - atheism?

I don't feel they can be called same. Yes, both positions are atheistic but the steps differ.

Unbelief is the absence of belief.
Belief is an act of acknowledging a contingent.

One is an atheist by an inaction. Absence of.

One is an atheist by active excercise. Presence of.
Re: The Atheistic Burden Of Proof by EmperorHarry: 12:43pm On Oct 06, 2019
Johnydon22 I've being trying to point this out for a while now.Certain atheists should be accountable for proof against theistic gods when they're certain such gods don't exist.Not all atheists just lack the belief and such folks are gnostic atheists.

1 Like

Re: The Atheistic Burden Of Proof by LordReed(m): 5:03pm On Oct 06, 2019
What I see quite often is an attempt to foist unto the atheist that is saying "I don't believe you", the counter claim "god does not exist" and then requiring proof. Example:

Buhari is Jubril
How do you know?
Because they have the same type of nose
That does not prove Buhari is Jubril
Why don't you prove Buhari is not Jubril?
Because I didn't claim Buhari is not Jubril
You don't want to prove that Buhari is not Jubril
Re: The Atheistic Burden Of Proof by Nobody: 8:20pm On Oct 06, 2019
LordReed:
What I see quite often is an attempt to foist unto the atheist that is saying "I don't believe you", the counter claim "god does not exist" and then requiring proof. Example:

Buhari is Jubril
How do you know?
Cc emperorharry

1 Like

Re: The Atheistic Burden Of Proof by johnydon22(m): 9:07pm On Oct 06, 2019
LordReed:

Buhari is Jubril
How do you know?
I have seen this too.It's funny. I simply remind the person that my position is of a skeptical nature to his not a counter claim. If he insists on the folly, I ignore the whole thing.

I'm only on this post addressing the atheistic part of the mistake.

Not realising that "There is no God" is a counter claim that requires "Reason" (proof) as much as "There is a God"

2 Likes

Re: The Atheistic Burden Of Proof by EmperorHarry: 9:25pm On Oct 06, 2019
LordReed:
What I see quite often is an attempt to foist unto the atheist that is saying "I don't believe you", the counter claim "god does not exist" and then requiring proof.
This is an observation that is valid due to the conscious/unconscious ignorance of theists. JohnyDon has clearly explained what statements require proof and the one's that don't. Your God is just as real as the invisible pink unicorn, because your God doesn't exist,would be a claim that requires proof against the existence of such a God.
Theists automatically believe that anybody that doesn't believe in a God/gods should have some logical reason(s)/evidence for disbelief.To them only a "fool" says there's no God cos it's clearly evident that even in their sleeping and waking up,God exists.So the lack of belief is absurd and preposterous and even worse,if they believe in Satan's mission to bring about disbelief in God and lead many to eternal damnation.So they'd ask you for proof,just so they know you have valid reasons(they most prolly think you don't but just cause) and not controlled by evil forces to accomplish Satan's purpose on earth.They may then try to convince you using scriptural evidences that seem very logical to them. This is wrong and should be avoided.
cc Michellekabod

P.S. I don't intend to generalize.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Trump's Spiritual Adviser Prays Against Sorcery And Witchcraft / It is not just a book: the book of life. / How GOD will judge false prophets and teachers In The Last Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.