Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? (42529 Views)

Mutual Funds / Mutual Funds In Nigeria: Please Share Your Experience / Best Nigerian Stocks To Buy For Your Retirement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by Joshcoli(m): 6:55pm On Apr 16, 2008
hello every body, pls am a newbee here, just wanted to know which one is better agressive growth or the discovery fund
thanks for the armsdiscovery fund
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by madeonline(m): 11:50am On Apr 17, 2008
Dear Mutual Fund promoters (ARM, CORAL, IBTC, etc),

Thanks for the wonderful and educative write ups in here. I am glad to read them all. I would appreciate if you could avail me with the price movement data (Quotation) of these funds for me to make my indepenent analysis via madeonline@gmail.com.

I am encouraged by your figures, and would love to examine the facts behind the figure if given a chance. You can all count on my patronage. I would be mailing you soon.

REgards.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by afam1(m): 7:48am On Apr 30, 2008
@Joshcoli

sincerely speaking the aggressive growth fund has better rate of return as compared to the discoveryf und becos of its asset holdings.

90% of the Funds in the aggressive growth fund are invested into the capital market while the remaining 10% goes into fixed income instrument(we reduced the risk becos of direct buying of stock.

The disocvery fund has some percentage holdings in money market instrument ,equities and real estate .

Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by madeonline(m): 9:19am On Apr 30, 2008
Thanks Afam for the information.

I would review and revert.

REgards.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by Joshcoli(m): 12:36pm On Apr 30, 2008
Mr AFAM NWACHUKWU i Guess you a staff with DiscoveryFund, but i have never made any interest on my investment to date, over three months their have been no interest instead my fund keeps depreciating day by day, so what do you think is the problem. is it not better to do direct trading with your money undecided
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by MyPeace(f): 12:46pm On Apr 30, 2008
Joshcoli:

Mr AFAM NWACHUKWU i Guess you a staff with DiscoveryFund, but i have never made any interest on my investment to date, over three months their have been no interest instead my fund keeps depreciating day by day, so what do you think is the problem. is it not better to do direct trading with your money undecided

How is it depreciating?  please share more light.

on interest(dividend), l think that should be at the end of each financial year.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by MyPeace(f): 12:48pm On Apr 30, 2008
@Afam,

does the bear being witnessed on the NSE affect the Fund price too?
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by Joshcoli(m): 5:49pm On Apr 30, 2008
@ Afam

when is the financial year, any idea
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by afam1(m): 5:20pm On May 01, 2008
@Joshcoli

Just like every other investment,it has all tendency of appreciation or depreciation,but investors always like hearing the appreciation side of the story and not depreciation,but you must not forget that the 2 goes side by side.

Sincerely speaking,the nigeria capital market has generally been experiencing a bearish nature since the better part of this year and don't forget that the ARM DISCOVERY FUND AND aggressive fund holds some percentage equity holdings in stock too,but you must not forget that for every investment long term still remains the best option,but if you are looking at the short term then mutual funds and the capital mkt will not be the best for you instead you should be looking at fixed income instruments as provided by some of our reputable banks and also ARM FIXED INCOME INSTRUMENT(I GUESS YOU DON'T KNOW THAT ARM HAS A FIXED INCOME INSTRUMENT TOO).

When price falls,it is a good time to buy more unit so that when it picks it will be a good time to make good returns.

The financial year for ARM  ends in february of every year.

@MyPeace

YES.(BECOS THE FUND HAS SOME PERCENTAGE EQUITY HOLDINGS IN THE CAPITAL MKT)
Also the bearish nature does not affect the dividend pay out as we have proposed a dividend payout of N8.50K PER UNIT.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by nazzyon(m): 8:22am On May 02, 2008
Zenith to Launch a Mutual Fund on Monday, May 5, 2008.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/national/9003.html

Zenith Ethical Fund at N10 per unit

What have guys heard about the BEDROCK FUND by cashcraft?
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by afam1(m): 9:07am On May 02, 2008
cheesy well lets wait till date and see how it goes.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by ayusman16(m): 9:10pm On May 02, 2008
who knows anything about aim assets management coy?
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by megastu(m): 9:03pm On May 03, 2008
Hi afam,

Are u sure about your dividend payout? at what date wil the register be closed. feed me with more information at mibisnow@yahoo.co.uk. I dont mind to liquidate all my stocks and buy AGF. i already have about 2,000 units. Does it mean if i have 10,000 units, i should receive dividend at 8.50 Per unit.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by afam1(m): 9:12am On May 05, 2008
The Nigerian stock market cannot efficiently reflect fundamental values because no market possibly can and yet satisfy the entrepreneurial quest for profit. The market discovery process, entrepreneurship and competition make it inevitable that only those participants in the market who can successfully latch on the inefficiencies of market coordination presented as information can consistently make good returns. Given that scenario, the pursuit of efficient market in that sense is a ruse and an attempt to benchmark the Nigerian market against such non-existent standard is just a ruse. Efficiencies are attained individually by investors who use what means available to them in terms of funds, research skills and other complements to consistently outsmart the market. Such efficiency is impossible at the level of the market because it cannot be measured interpersonally. The options open therefore is for majority of the investor/traders/practitioners to understand the competitive strategy of the market leaders and find ways of beating them to it. Some of the strategies which have worked for the leaders in this market are the possession of sharp eyes and ears for information through variety of ways which includes the set up of formal research and intelligence platforms. The other includes the financial power to enable the immediate conversion of opportunities without much pressure. A necessary condition is to have good intelligence on the market but the satisfying condition is to have what it takes to take full advantage of such perceived opportunities.

Now when many participants have these advantages in almost a relatively equal or at beyond-minimum-benchmark levels, it will become relatively more difficult for a few participants to beat others and orchestrate un-noticed movements in the market place. However when many have these strategic advantages at relatively equal levels, changes can occur much more widely and almost in unison within the market. This unison does not represent an efficient market uniformity which will net out and result in no profits for each but rather, represents a broadened or robust rivalry resulting in reduced information transmission lags. Heavy information transmission lag which characterizes the Nigerian market makes it much more possible for a few smart market entrepreneurs to continue to feed fat using market information for a fairly long time before the rest of the market wakes up to that realization. This in itself is good and desirable as it demonstrates entrepreneurial acumen of those few. However, competition can be heightened to generate more benefits to everybody. When this is done, the immediate effect will be reduced lag in market information transmission period. But this lag can best be reduced when majority of the operators have mechanically efficient information and intelligence processing infrastructure. This is exactly what makes the difference between markets in developed and developing countries.

Name % Change
Okomu Oil Plc 52.32%
Cadbury Nigeria Plc 46.30%
NAHCo Plc 40.00%
Nestle Nigeria Plc 62.30%
Int. Breweries Plc 42.68%
Chevron Oil Nig. Plc 60.00%
Ashaka Cement Plc 50.16%
Guinness Nigeria Plc 53.80%
7UP Nigeria Plc 72.24%
Nigeria Breweries Plc 54.10%
John Holt Plc 51.50%
CCNN Plc 51.41%
SCOA Plc 68.00%
NCR Plc 60.00%
Mobil Oil Nig Plc 60.00%
A.G. Leventis Plc 88.45%
NBC Plc 56.21%
WAPCo Plc 60.00%
Chellarams Plc 40.00%
BOC Gases Plc 60.00%
Continental Re Plc 70.00%

For you to understand how the capital market works,you need a dedicated stock broker or a professional fund manager that understands the fundamentals and technics of the capital market and that is where you appreciate mutual fund.THINK ARM DISCOVERY FUND OR ARM AGGRESSIVE GROWTH FUND.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by afam1(m): 10:13am On May 05, 2008
@ all

Afribank Nigeria Plc, (AFRIBANK) may offer its investors a N1.60 Kobo dividend in the 2008 Financial Year End (FYE). Sebastian Adigwe, Group Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO) of the bank made this affirmation at the end of the bank’s “Facts behind the Figures” held today in Lagos Nigeria at the Floors of the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE).

“If it is the projection in terms of dividends, I cannot give you that until the shareholders Annual General Meeting (AGM) has been done, but what I can assure is that with the figures we have presented today; talking of N1.60 Kobo per share, clearly we should expect a very aggressive dividend and bonus issue for the year” Adigwe said.

The unaudited figures presented by the bank’s group shows that Total Assets grew from N86.669 million in 2004 to N480.779 million in 2007/2008 indicating a growth of 157 percent, with a five year Cumulative Average Growth Rate (CAGR) of 53 percent.

While Gross Earnings of the Group also increased from N14.889 million in 2004 to N51.270 million in year 2008 indicating a growth of 86 percent, also with a five year CAGR of 53 percent.

In the same vein, Profit before Tax (PBT) also rose from N2.022 million in 2004 to N17.306 million in 2008 showing a growth rate of 89 percent; with compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 71 percent.

Profit after Tax (PAT) increased from N1.328 million in 2004 to N12.238 million in year 2008 representing an increase of 135 percent; with a CAGR of 131 percent.

Also shareholders funds grew from N8.621 million in 2004 to N43.965 in year 2008 indicating a 410 percent growth.

Adigwe confirmed that as at March 2008, number of outstanding shares of the company; stood at 6.130 billion.

“In the next five years, our story will be one of transformation, tremendous growth and unrivalled returns to investors” he affirmed.

Adigwe also confirmed that AFRIBANK raised about N105 billion in its last offer which the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC); approved three weeks back.

This confirms the Nigerian Banking Sector Report, January 2008 by Afrinvest West Africa that the bank has successfully proven its readiness to reclaim its position as one of the leading financial institutions in Nigeria.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by abujabooks(f): 3:55pm On May 08, 2008
I heard ARM is the best.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by NaijaEcash(m): 5:22pm On May 08, 2008
@afam1
Good job you're doing man. I love people that take time to explain things instead of shying away from answering direct questions. Even though you are a staff of ARM, your approach makes you sound more like a friend than an executive marketing manager. Keep it up. Cheers.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by Nobody: 4:20pm On May 09, 2008
discovery fund managers and IBTC mutual fund are the best.

am with discovery fund.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by blackchief(m): 5:05pm On May 12, 2008
I will like to know when Oceanic Vinage Fund close it books and if there have ever paid out dividend since inception
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by shylle(m): 9:08pm On May 12, 2008
afam1:

Just like every other investment,it has all tendency of appreciation or depreciation,but investors always like hearing the appreciation side of the story and not depreciation,but you must not forget that the 2 goes side by side.

afam1:

When price falls,it is a good time to buy more unit so that when it picks it will be a good time to make good returns.

Thanks a lot, Afam, for the above. I invest in both d AGF and Discovery Fund, and like d other fellow said, I noticed some depreciation. I was even considering cancelling my account and investing all in stocks. But with your explanation, I'm even going to buy more units!!!

Anyway, i still need a good stockbroker. Any recommendations or advice would be very much appreciated.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by ernal(m): 11:32pm On May 12, 2008
I will consider ARM as the best Mutual fund in he country,being with them since 2006 when they were still having a corner office at every GTB.I think they have deliveried remarkable,Now Zenith is preaching mutual funds with online access,ARM started that way back in 2006 and i will suggest this approach if you the busy type,if you use first bank or gtb,u can set up a monthly withdrawl standing instruction from ur account and that way your acct gets debited monthly,within a period of 5yrs see what u will be worth.

We be double Up shocked shocked shocked
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by afam1(m): 5:54pm On May 13, 2008
@shylle,

well, i thank you for your post.

I will recommend,SPRINGBOARD TRUST AND INVESTMENT COMPNAY.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by Joshcoli(m): 12:50pm On May 22, 2008
Hey Mr Afam, Whats happening to the funds in ARM Discovery, i know the market is bearish but you guys just gass do something angry, you are professionals now undecided
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by afam1(m): 8:48pm On May 22, 2008
Thank you for your request,but unfortunately,the fund has a well structured asset classes where this fund goes to.\

65% goes to equities of company on the stock market,15% goes to real estate,15% goes to fixed income ,5% goes to cash.

Things are changing rapidly.\

cheers
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by Joshcoli(m): 11:53am On May 23, 2008
Hello Mr Afam, why is my discovery fund appreciating more than the aggressive, i thought aggressive should appreciate more
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by afam1(m): 8:25pm On May 23, 2008
jjj
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by peaceland(m): 8:15am On May 31, 2008
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by afam1(m): 6:09pm On Jun 01, 2008
@peaceland

the beauty of the fund is that you can invest at your own convienent time and also if an investor invest at the 11th hour,in as much that the financial year for ARM HAS NOT CLOSED ,he will be entitled to dividend pay out for that year.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by bollingjoe(m): 12:13pm On Jun 06, 2008
afam when u ppl pay dividend .is there a provision 4 the dividend 2 be used 2 buy more units or must it be equal to the minimum required 4 investing b4 it can be considered
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by afam1(m): 2:47pm On Jun 08, 2008
@bollingjoe

the dividend will be used to buy more units for you as an investor,there by making u have more units in ur investment portfolio.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by softpalms: 11:28pm On Jun 11, 2008
i do invest in ibtc. didn't know much about mutual funds b4. learnt form http://www.nigerianstocksonline.com/funds.php
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by softpalms: 11:32pm On Jun 11, 2008

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

see photos of How 200k Started my Barbing, game and laundry business / See What Top MMM Guider Chuddy Ugorji Is Doing In Lagos To Win Nigerians Back(pi / Dangote Refinery: Africa’s Biggest Refinery Takes Shape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.