Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,794 members, 7,813,625 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? (2125 Views)

Those Who Abandon Their Religion Should Be Executed, Says Imam / 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. / Church Members Barred From Discussing Chris Okotie’s Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by sewhenu(m): 12:50pm On May 20, 2007
I want to know ur views pls,i do not want to preempt your views be u christian
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by TellyB(m): 1:08pm On May 20, 2007
It wouldn't appear that Christians are insecure in discussing Christianity. smiley
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by Seun(m): 1:43pm On May 20, 2007
Exactly. Nigerians are very vocal about their religious beliefs.
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by Iman3(m): 1:45pm On May 20, 2007
Maybe its because religion in general is often incompatible with rational thinking.Incompatibility with the rational thought process is particularly acute with one religion.

This is not neccesarily a critique of religion,I am a Christian,but I realise my faith often is difficult to reconcile with my thought process
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by TellyB(m): 2:02pm On May 20, 2007
Seun:

Exactly. Nigerians are very vocal about their religious beliefs.

Even outside Nigeria, we are still respected (and sometimes denounced) for that. But that's quite an observant statement.
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by mukina2: 2:10pm On May 20, 2007
its not about insecurity .

I feel perfectly ok .discussing religion away from nairaland with open minded christians

but here on nairaland, they never even wait for ur last statement to drop .they are out to attack .

they always talk about Islamic fanatism but they are also fanatics, in that only what they say or what their religion says is the right thing .
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by TellyB(m): 2:18pm On May 20, 2007
mukina2:

I feel perfectly ok .discussing religion away from nairaland with open minded christians

but here on nairaland, they never even wait for your last statement to drop .they are out to attack .

they always talk about Islamic fanatism but they are also fanatics, in that only what they say or what their religion says is the right thing .

See what I mean?? grin You guys are so predictable!! I just knew this was coming and you couldn't resist the temptation to launch your invectives - the very first on this thread!! grin

What is the rush in bringing allegations against others here? The question is simply about "why people feel insecure in discussing their religion"; and the next thing is your response claiming that it is NOT about insecurity!! Maybe, maybe not. I haven't read here that any Christian has to complain about Muslims here before they can feel secure.
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by mukina2: 2:21pm On May 20, 2007
Look i knew you either you or david where going to post after me

i answeed a question and you came after me?

i dont get you and i'll appreciate if you let me be
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by TellyB(m): 2:25pm On May 20, 2007
I'm not after you - and there's no rule that one has to wait until your username has been pushed up before we can then reply! Is that another reaction of insecurity? Did you not post right after mine?

Mukina2, relax. This hooha about let me be should not suggest that we're after anyone.
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by mukina2: 2:48pm On May 20, 2007
another malik or Gwaine or shaitan abi sad

Ok telly B keep preaching may the Lord be with you cool Amen!
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by TellyB(m): 2:53pm On May 20, 2007
mukina2:

another malik or Gwaine or shaitan abi sad

Ok telly B keep preaching may the Lord be with you cool Amen!

And you, too. Amin. cool

BTW, what's up with those names? At least I know of one Muslim (sandoka) who has earned my respect, and anoda Muslim convert (pilgrim.1) who's arguments are unmatched by Muslims!
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by Iman3(m): 2:55pm On May 20, 2007
Why are you people messing with my Muki? angry paid bride price for her

Honestly,Muslims don't feel comfortable discussing their religion.Period!
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by mukina2: 3:01pm On May 20, 2007
I-man:

Why are you people messing with my Muki?  angry paid bride price for her

uh? cheesy quick yarns for the other side wink

@telly B
do not mind me .
Its Ok
carry on wink
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by mellow(m): 3:05pm On May 20, 2007
That is basically untrue and before you ask,

no I am not a Muslim.
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by TellyB(m): 3:07pm On May 20, 2007
Lol @I-man,

I-man:

Why are you people messing with my Muki? angry paid bride price for her

Sorry, I repent! Remember that song? - 'My mama warned me not to get into trouble??' cool

I-man:

I know quite a few who actually are confident in talking about their religion - and they make very good sense! Mukina2 for one! No, I'm not attempting to tap current again O, but truth be told! grin
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by TellyB(m): 3:09pm On May 20, 2007
mukina2:

@telly B
do not mind me .
Its Ok
carry on wink

Okay, now I understand!! grin . . . I-man, thanks for the hint o jare!
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by mukina2: 3:10pm On May 20, 2007
Sorry for going off topic, but beware of mukina2, she's a sharia terrorists, mukina2 we are waiting for your response after trying to project a bad picture of Christians/Jesus in the christian forum, u ran away,because u can't handle it, Access what? in a terrorists like u, i don't deal with anti-christ,give your brothers sadam, osama and those from iraq access. . Thank God you are not in Nigeria, u belong to Iraq,or Afghanistan were you brothers are, Back to topic, Up blues, down Man divided

see an example of what i am saying angry

if you go through all my post, i have never once  painted a bad picture of Jesus or any other person . angry
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by TellyB(m): 3:24pm On May 20, 2007
I-man step aside a bit.

mukina2:

see an example of what i am saying angry

if you go through all my post, i have never once painted a bad picture of Jesus or any other person . angry

Mukina. Mukina! Mukina2!!! How many times I call you so??

I know how you feel when people say stuff about you! You know how many of your own broothers have called me an "ignorant fool"?? I even like the verbiage of one who hinted that mine was "ignorant intelligence"!! ( https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-53767.128.html#msg1129191 ) .

The thing is that, everyone is bound to say something. I am sometimes tempted to open a thread entitled: "YOUR BASHINGS ON ANYONE HERE!" But no, I am still enjoying the fresh air on the Forum and don't want to make many enemies more than the ones whose backyard I don't have the security of crossing anymore! grin

Oya, I-man, over to you! C'est fin. cheesy
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by mukina2: 3:30pm On May 20, 2007
Telly B:

I-man step aside a bit.

Mukina. Mukina! Mukina2!!! How many times I call you so??

I know how you feel when people say stuff about you! You know how many of your own broothers have called me an "ignorant fool"?? I even like the verbiage of one who hinted that mine was "ignorant intelligence"!! ( https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-53767.128.html#msg1129191 ) .

The thing is that, everyone is bound to say something. I am sometimes tempted to open a thread entitled: "YOUR BASHINGS ON ANYONE HERE!" But no, I am still enjoying the fresh air on the Forum and don't want to make many enemies more than the ones whose backyard I don't have the security of crossing anymore!  grin

Oya, I-man, over to you! C'est fin.  cheesy

Telly the guy posted that stuff on the sports board angry angry
must people stalk others all over the place becasue they do not believe in what they do beleive in angry
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by TellyB(m): 3:35pm On May 20, 2007
mukina2:

Telly the guy posted that stuff on the sports board angry angry
must people stalk others all over the place becasue they do not believe in what they do beleive in angry

I can't believe that!! M-e-n! I'm outa here! shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by mukina2: 3:43pm On May 20, 2007
Telly B:

I can't believe that!! M-e-n! I'm outa here!  shocked  shocked

beleive it o angry

you see now angry
take time open ur eyes o grin
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 20, 2007
@ mukina2

the problem is that the definition of the term "open minded christians" differs depending on whom you talk to. The islamic view of an "open minded christian" is one who is sympathetic to the muslim course almost to the extent of putting down his own beliefs in a bid to stretch islamic viewpoints to fit rational thinking. One who would rather toe the path of political correctness, taking great care to paper over cracks, bend the truth and gloss over inconsistencies in order to avoid "offending" those who claim to be confident about discussing their religion.
Typical examples of "open minded christians" are members of the Committee of Concerned Christians for Allah (CCCA).

My idea of the REAL open minded christian is one who is not only confident and sure of what he believes but is willing and bold enough to share it with others with rational proof of why he thinks it is true.He is willing to accept being in the wrong as long as the other party can convincingly prove his point.

Sadly it is this group that insecure muslims refer to as fanatics out of a morbid fear of being exposed for the fraud that islam is.
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by TellyB(m): 5:54pm On May 20, 2007
Word on marble! I especially like this:

davidylan:

The islamic view of an "open minded christian" is one who is sympathetic to the muslim course almost to the extent of putting down his own beliefs in a bid to stretch islamic viewpoints to fit rational thinking.

. . . and the sum of this:

davidylan:

My idea of the REAL open minded christian is one who is not only confident and sure of what he believes but is willing and bold enough to share it with others with rational proof of why he thinks it is true.He is willing to accept being in the wrong as long as the other party can convincingly prove his point.

Sadly it is this group that insecure muslims refer to as fanatics out of a morbid fear of being exposed for the fraud that islam is

wink
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by DorisB(f): 8:08pm On May 20, 2007
some of us are not sure of our religion thats why we are insecure to discuss it,others are too holy cliaming they may say something that can offend God and others are too scared to talk.
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by Aproko(f): 2:25pm On Jun 01, 2007
@ topic,

because a lot of us practice religions handed down to us by our parents. those that bother to seek on their own and find answers have no qualms discussing their convictions.
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by osacares(m): 2:44pm On Jun 01, 2007
The question is related to insecurity about discussing religion. Let's stay focused on that. It doesn't refer to any religion specifically. From my experieince, it is not an issue of insecurity but of wisdom. You find taht whenever relgion comes up in conversations, it takes very little for tempers to rise and words to fly. This is the reason most folsk avoid it, thats my experience anyway.

If however you ask somoeone about their religion with a view not to engender strife or arguments but to gain understanding, most folks are more than willing to talk with you.
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by stimulus(m): 3:14pm On Jun 01, 2007
Across board, everyone attempting to discuss religion have fallen short in one way or another on the same allegations being tendered here.

I don't know why some people feel insecure in religious discussions; but I don't feel any sense of insecurity when discussing what I believe. Even when my fellow discussants want to be acrid, there's just a way to school them up a bit. cool
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by thesilent1(m): 3:24pm On Jun 01, 2007
exactly!

and i do not know why people can not just admit if they are not sure about something in their faith! if i do not know or am not sure, i will say so. that does not discredit my faith, just my knowledge!!!

I DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING BUT I KNOW WHAT I[b] NEED[/b] TO KNOW.
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by olutomiwa(m): 5:17pm On Jun 01, 2007
mukina2:

beleive it o angry

you see now angry
take time open your eyes o grin
muki muki,iyawo anabi.
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by mukina2: 8:35pm On Jun 01, 2007
olumatomi wa wetin? grin
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by pcmecom(m): 8:23am On Jun 02, 2007
you want to really know why,they have not yet discovered themselves and they are afraid of upsetting the status quo! tongue
Re: Why Do Some People Feel Insecure About Discussing Their Religion? by olutomiwa(m): 8:13pm On Jun 02, 2007
mukina2:

olumatomi wa wetin? grin
na you biko grin

(1) (2)

Where Can I Get Td Jake Audio Messages / My Friend's Wife Has A Spirit Husband... Funny But True / The Way Bible Was Written Is Confusing All Pastors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.