Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,565 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible (41582 Views)

Osimhen & Boniface Beat Ronaldo As World Best Strikers By SPORTbible / China Bans Footballers From Getting Tattoos / Ranking Of Golden Boot Winners: Messi The 1st To Claim This Award For 6 Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 10:59pm On Oct 14, 2019
Messi played with the best assemble of Argentina's footballers but couldn't win Copa America or World Cup.
Maradonna single handedly took Argentina to two consecutive world cup finals and Copa America and won once each.
Zidane is d same with Maradonna. Johan Cruyff won Euro Cup and back to back World Cup finals.

So my list is as follows:
GOAT: Pele, Ronaldo de Lima, Zidane and Maradonna.

Legends: Romario, Baggio, Cruyff, Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Beckenbauer.

Great: Beresi, Maldini, Michael Laudrup, Etoo, Xavi, Iniesta, Figo, Stiockov, Mueller, Roberto Carlos, Okocha, Buffon

Good: Kanu Nwakwo, George Weah, Peter Schmeichel, Oliver Khan, Thuram, Veira, Theirry Henry, Platini, Hagi, Bobby Charlton, Amunike, Roger Miller, Aguero, Dennis Bergkamp, Lampard, Gerrade

Underrated: Yaya Toure, Makalele, Dani Alves, Baptistuta, Erik Larsson, Robben

Overrated: David Beckham,

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 11:00pm On Oct 14, 2019
Messi played with the best assemble of Argentina's footballers but couldn't win Copa America or World Cup.
Maradonna single handedly took Argentina to two consecutive world cup finals and Copa America and won once each.
Zidane is d same with Maradonna. Johan Cruyff won Euro Cup and played back to back World Cup finals.

Great: Beresi, Maldini, Michael Laudrup, Etoo, Xavi, Iniesta, Figo, Stiockov, Mueller, Roberto Carlos, Okocha, Buffon

Good: Kanu Nwakwo, George Weah, Peter Schmeichel, Oliver Khan, Thuram, Veira, Theirry Henry, Platini, Hagi, Bobby Charlton, Amunike, Roger Miller, Aguero, Dennis Bergkamp, Lampard, Gerrade

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 11:03pm On Oct 14, 2019
fijiano202:
was wondering samething..

No ruud gullit,batistuta,van basten,romario,baggio lots more

The list on the op is not exhaustive else people like Sunday Oliseh, Ortega, Cafu, Nesta, Shevchenko etc would be in the list.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by TheGiftedOne(m): 11:03pm On Oct 14, 2019
Jokerman:

Ogbeni...

Pele's player of the century award is bigger than 100 ballondors

Pele a three time World Cup winner

Pele 1260 goals to his name

Guy just leave them make them they rant there with the free data their respective network providers gave them.

By their comments you shall know them. Small Small shildlen.

grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Fladm(m): 11:04pm On Oct 14, 2019
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Fladm(m): 11:04pm On Oct 14, 2019

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 11:08pm On Oct 14, 2019
Angelfrost:

You just answered your own question... Those passes, shots, key tackles, are what makes him a solid midfielder... Not the best, but certainly not overrated!!!... Except that word now has a new meaning, then we can as well put half of the great footballers of today into that category.

If it is by good passes, Mesut Ozil would be a legend. I think Modric, like Kanu is loved more for his humility and so people will tend to put sentiment into their judgement in their favour.

2 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Dre555: 11:08pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:

Lol in what universe is player of the century better than as many ballon d'or? Remember that Pelle played in the era where football was less sophisticated unlike Messi.

Also, I think it is more ideal to consider a player's individual performance than collective. No matter how good a player is, if you have very useless defenders who concede goals all the time, you will not go far in footbal and this could be illustrated well with the match Barca played against Liverpool in the most recent UEFA

Don't forget that Messi won gold for his country at the junior level and so presuming that he is not GOAT because he has not won a thing for his country is out of place. Also, Messi has taken his country to world cup finals atleast twice or even more. All the key playmakings and goals where made by him. What more do you want from Messi?
pele's 1260 goals can never be matched by Messi or Ronaldo or anyone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 11:12pm On Oct 14, 2019
fergie001:

I have been laughing at his arguments After he used robinho as great.
People will.just pick phone and be typing anything.
He will soon mention balotelli as greatest.

We are in the information age na. Just youtube best of Robinho and come back here let's discuss.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by marttol: 11:12pm On Oct 14, 2019
Icon79:
Mine:

1. GOAT: Lionel "Leo" Messi - one and only!

2. Legends: Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo de Lima, Johan Cruyff, Carles Puyol, George Weah Opong, and Diego Maradona

3. Great: Gianluigi Buffon, Rivaldo, Franco Baresi, Roger Miller, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Abedi Pele, Neymar Jr, Austin Jay Jay Okocha, Samuel Eto'o, and Roberto Carlos

4. Good: Sergio Aguero, Didier Drogba, Virgil van Dijk, Robin van Persie, Kanu Nwankwo, Theophile Abega, and Kylian Mbappe

5. Underrated: Ngolo Kante, Yaya Toure, Oman Biyik, Sunday Oliseh, and Wilfred Ndidi

6. Overrated: Antoine Griezmann, Mesut Ozil, Gareth Bale, Michele Platini, Cesc Fabregas, Sergio Busquets, Karim Benzema, and Cristiano Ronaldo
cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 11:15pm On Oct 14, 2019
Okikiadehussein:
A perfect example of people that watch television instead of football
My guy, your schizophrenia na a1
Both cr7 and lm10 are GOAT!

I am pretty sure that the people that compiled this list are more experienced and watch football far more than you do.

2 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by MrNipplesLover(m): 11:16pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:

Weed is not good

no, bro.

na Lizard shiitt.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Soso990240(m): 11:16pm On Oct 14, 2019
ElasticStone:
Gbam!

My own additions

Legends: Jay Jay Okocha
Great: E. Hazard, Kaka
Good: Kanu, Samuel Eto o, luis Suarez
Underrated: Casemiro, Aubameyang, Nglo Kante, Cavani, La Cazette
Overrated: Luka Modric, Coutinho, Mandzukic

Modified#
FTC: I dedicate this page to those who think Messi is the goat. Una sabi beta tin
Oga, if Hazard is great, then Etoo should be among d legends. Hazard has not and will not achieve half of what Etoo achieved. Hazard is not even worthy to stand where Etoo stood.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by lastempero: 11:18pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:
I think I agree with this and feel free to add players into the catergories.

Source: https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-footballers-and-legends-ranked-from-goat-to-overrated-20191011.amp.html

My own additions:

Legend: Okocha, Iniesta
Great: Drogba, Robinho
Good: Crespo, Gabriel Jesus
Underrated: Essien, Dybala, Marcelo
Overrated: Kanu Nwankwo, Luka Modric, Iwobi, Tony Kroos, Firmino

It is like you dey use another person glass watch football match
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Soso990240(m): 11:18pm On Oct 14, 2019
Jokerman:
A barcelonian list grin

We are talking of the "greatest "... What has Messi done or acheived on won that this players haven't done

Pele
Maradona
Zidane
Ronaldo
CR7
Individual brilliance. Messi has it more than all of them. How many of them has scored up to 50 goals in a season? Messi that is not a No9 striker did it.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by LZAA: 11:20pm On Oct 14, 2019
This has to be the dumbest list ever created
Now ever of these lists always throws up arguments but Maradona is the GOAT and messi and ronaldo are simply the greatest players of their generation
Notice that platini and eusebio,di stefano are also missing from this "list"
Millennials sha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 11:20pm On Oct 14, 2019
networkfailure:
Zidane is d same with Maradonna. Johan Cruyff won Euro Cup and played back to back World Cup finals.

Sadly, he also played with a very weak defence. Its like fetching water in a gold basket.

3 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by CanadaOrBust: 11:20pm On Oct 14, 2019
ElasticStone:
Gbam!

My own additions

Legends: Jay Jay Okocha
Great: E. Hazard, Kaka
Good: Kanu, Samuel Eto o, luis Suarez
Underrated: Casemiro, Aubameyang, Nglo Kante, Cavani, La Cazette
Overrated: Luka Modric, Coutinho, Mandzukic

Modified#
FTC: I dedicate this page to those who think Messi is the goat. Una sabi beta tin

If u r not even smart enough to know u r NOT FTC how then can u know to do ranking
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by djon78(m): 11:26pm On Oct 14, 2019
networkfailure:
Zidane is d same with Maradonna. Johan Cruyff won Euro Cup and back to back World Cup finals.

This is the exact rating not the crap posted by small children that began to watch ball some years ago.

Presently the quality of football is dropped. Messi can't even be compared to zidane, Rinaldo de Lima, Ronaldinho in this modern era tackles of comparing him to Pele, Maradona or Johan Cruyff!!

All I have mentioned all won world cup exception of Cruyff. but messi has never done so. World cup is still the highest honour in football. European football domestic league can never be equal to world cup.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by LZAA: 11:27pm On Oct 14, 2019
Sirwallace:

All these guys are not as consistent spanning 10+ years and the Goat is still going strong.

Zidane won how many champions league? After his world cup in 1998.
Delima became a fat boy after winning the world best 3 times and remain irrelevant. The goat is stilll going strong.

Maradona is a drug dealer who won the world cup with drug and had a fantastic season with napoli and that was just it.

Cr7 is the greatest competition to the goat and that is obvious.
The goat has been very consistently consistent and still going stronger everyday.
While it's true Maradona started taking drugs in 84 he was actually clean in 86 durin the world cup
Stop following generalised statements of Maradona being an addict

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Iretii0511(m): 11:27pm On Oct 14, 2019
Fladm:

http://www.tsmplug.com/records/highest-goal-scorers-in-a-single-calendar-year/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelé_statistics

Let me help you navigate it bro, scroll to as a professional, 143 is the last match of 1958 which is his 158th career goal. 247 is his last match of 1959 where he scored his 284 career goal. Please do the math. You will notice the matches were recorded and the number of goals he scored against each team.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by shadybruzz: 11:28pm On Oct 14, 2019
This ranking na rubbish
Ronaldo and Messi na the real GOAT

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by lyricalz: 11:30pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:
I think I agree with this and feel free to add players into the catergories.

Source: https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-footballers-and-legends-ranked-from-goat-to-overrated-20191011.amp.html

My own additions:

Legend: Okocha, Iniesta
Great: Drogba, Robinho
Good: Crespo, Gabriel Jesus
Underrated: Essien, Dybala, Marcelo
Overrated: Kanu Nwankwo, Luka Modric, Iwobi, Tony Kroos, Firmino

crap list.

Pele is a legend

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Taciturn1: 11:31pm On Oct 14, 2019
ElasticStone:

Aside good passes and a few long range shots, what else is great about Modric?
4 champions league titles.

Modric was the engine room of Madrid's consecutive dominance in Europe, as well as Croatia's surprising run to the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

I rate Modric, Xavi and Iniesta on thesame level.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by blaque7: 11:31pm On Oct 14, 2019
whoever that posted the picture chat above..There is no way Okocha could be rated above Kanu as far as football is concerned.

Also only English fans would rate Shearer ahead of Drogba and Hazzard..What did Shearer win?

Also Neymar and Sanchez are not overrated!

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Damsexy18(f): 11:37pm On Oct 14, 2019
Wat is the meaning of this GOAT sef
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by fergie001: 11:45pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:

We are in the information age na. Just youtube best of Robinho and come back here let's discuss.
Please, don't say this robinho thing outside....please!

Go and learn from networkfailure.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by hopefulLandlord: 11:51pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:

Lol in what universe is player of the century better than as many ballon d'or? Remember that Pelle played in the era where football was less sophisticated unlike Messi.

Also, I think it is more ideal to consider a player's individual performance than collective. No matter how good a player is, if you have very useless defenders who concede goals all the time, you will not go far in footbal and this could be illustrated well with the match Barca played against Liverpool in the most recent UEFA

Don't forget that Messi won gold for his country at the junior level and so presuming that he is not GOAT because he has not won a thing for his country is out of place. Also, Messi has taken his country to world cup finals atleast twice or even more. All the key playmakings and goals where made by him. What more do you want from Messi? Should Messi attack, midfield, defend and keep goals simultaneously?

How old are you? did you watch Pele play? if no, why then do you think you possess enough info to put Messi over Pele? mind you, I'm not taking a side

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Mateen1000: 11:54pm On Oct 14, 2019
Jokerman:
A barcelonian list grin

We are talking of the "greatest "... What has Messi done or acheived on won that this players haven't done

Pele
Maradona
Zidane
Ronaldo
CR7
Good Question
Messi is the only player to win a Play maker Award and Golden Boot at the same time
Don’t bother to ask about his international trophy because they are based on team work not individual ability.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by hopefulLandlord: 11:55pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:

It is not entirely subjective. A simulation of Messi visavis other great footballers was done using a computer software by some independent analysts and Messi emerged GOAT.

Pack it up boys, computer simulation has ended this argument

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by TundeCole(m): 11:56pm On Oct 14, 2019
Jokerman:

Ogbeni...

Pele's player of the century award is bigger than 100 ballondors

Pele a three time World Cup winner

Pele 1260 goals to his name

You dey mind those indomie pikins??

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by hopefulLandlord: 11:57pm On Oct 14, 2019
ElasticStone:

Aside good passes and a few long range shots, what else is great about Modric?

https://www.dailymotion. com /video/x2gvusx

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Real Madrid's Match Vs Valencia Halted After Vinicius Jnr Racially Abused / Saturday Glory And Aniebet Ekong Die In Car Accident In Uyo / Cristiano Ronaldo Jr Jogging A Football (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.