Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,340 members, 7,853,514 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 06:07 PM

South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive (2527 Views)

Why Saraki Will Survive At The Supreme Court / Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One / APC Presidential Rally, Sokoto And Kebbi (Live Updates) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by DapoBear(m): 4:33am On Nov 09, 2010
EzeUche0:

I been in PG County for 4 years. My parents had a house built in this county, and they gave it to my siblings and I since they enjoy living in Port Harcourt more. I like PG County, it is VERY black. A lot of wealthy Black Americans and Nigerians. And yes, there are a lot of Yorubas in PG County. I should of went to school in Houston where there are lot of Igbos. However, I have noticed more Igbos live in the Baltimore area than the DC area.

It wouldn't have been a good idea to go to school in Houston, imo. College Park is quite a bit superior to the public schools in Houston. No point getting a crappier education just because you want to be around your own kind, that would be very shortsighted.
UCLA would be a  good choice though. Better than College Park, tons of Igbo in the city (well, actually they don't really quite live in the city, they live in the suburbs, from what I am told.)
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by EzeUche0(m): 4:34am On Nov 09, 2010
DapoBear:

Well, there are always ways to involve yourself that are not obvious. Money, for one. It isn't as if Yoruba would be dumb enough to send a bunch of us directly to Warri and fight there or something. But there are more subtle ways to tip the balance for the side you are rooting for (e.g., money.)

Thank God that Igboland is clearly marked in Delta State. Delta Igbo are perfectly fine with Asaba. No need to move down to Warri to start wahala. We can leave that to the Itsekiri and Ijaws. So are the Isoko the power brokers within in Delta. I am not familiar with Delta State politics to be honest.
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by Beaf: 4:34am On Nov 09, 2010
chyz:

Does anybody have any information of how the Ijaws ended up in Ondo? I want to ask before i give my thoughts.

Ijaws riverine people who are spread along the coastline, from Rivers, to Bayelsa, Delta, Edo and Ondo. Its almost a continous stretch, in fact were it not for Itsekiri land, it would have been that Ijaws occupied all coastal lands from Rivers to Ondo state.
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by aljharem(m): 4:36am On Nov 09, 2010
Beaf:

Ijaws riverine people who are spread along the coastline, from Rivers, to Bayelsa, Delta, Edo and Ondo. Its almost a continous stretch, in fact were it not for Itsekiri land, it would have been that Ijaws occupied all coastal lands from Rivers to Ondo state.

that is a lie!!!!!! angry angry angry angry
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by chyz(m): 4:39am On Nov 09, 2010
alj harem:

ijaws are not even the largest ethnic group in nigerdelta

it just a political move by obj angry angry

there are isoko, itsekiri, efik, yorubas, igbos, ibibios, annang,ogoni,ekoi, esan, etc that made up nigerdelta

so how come ijaw is the largest of them

and with what population

lies i tell u, lies angry angry angry angry

what has OBJ got to do with Ijaw population,small boy?

Ibibio(including annang, ekoi)., get it right. And didnt you just say itsekiri is the 5th largest tribe in nigeria, numbering at 2-3mill? So i guess the Edo and Ibibio are now only 1mill each abi?
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by EzeUche0(m): 4:39am On Nov 09, 2010
Are the Ijaws even native to Nigeria? I heard they originated from Ghana. They are similar to the Ga people.
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by DapoBear(m): 4:40am On Nov 09, 2010
Hell, are any of us truly native to Nigeria? How does one define native? It is pretty arbitrary, no?
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by aljharem(m): 4:40am On Nov 09, 2010
chyz:

what has OBJ got to do with Ijaw population,small boy?

Ibibio(including annang, ekoi)., get it right. And didnt you just say itsekiri is the 5th largest tribe in nigeria, numbering at 2-3mill? So i guess the Edo and Ibibio are now only 1mill each abi?

who are u calling a small boy angry angry angry

why do u want make me angry at u angry angry angry
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by aljharem(m): 4:42am On Nov 09, 2010
EzeUche0:

Are the Ijaws even native to Nigeria? I heard they originated from Ghana. They are similar to the Ga people.
gbam gbam gbam

they migrated from ghana 1000 years ago

and yet they claim land in nigeria angry angry angry
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by chyz(m): 4:42am On Nov 09, 2010
Beaf:

But its like they jumped over the Itsekiri into Ondo. Don't you think that maybe some of that land that Itsekiri have along the coast may have been taken away from the Ijaw and given to the Itsekiri or maybe the Ijaw sold them that land?
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by Beaf: 4:42am On Nov 09, 2010
DapoBear:

Well, there are always ways to involve yourself that are not obvious. Money, for one. It isn't as if Yoruba would be dumb enough to send a bunch of us directly to Warri and fight there or something.

EDIT: redundancies removed

Money won't work. Itsekiri land produces the greatest amount of oil per square meter if I'm not mistaking. . . and the boys know what to do in times of "need."
Small as the Itsekiri's are, they too can kick arse in some pretty bad ways. They'll only smile when you offer help, every group in that state can take care of themselves to a large degree.
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by EzeUche0(m): 4:43am On Nov 09, 2010
DapoBear:

Hell, are any of us truly native to Nigeria? How does one define native? It is pretty arbitrary, no?

Well most of the Eastern populations have been present in that region for thousands of years. Eastern Nigeria is the birthplace of the Bantu migration that spread into southern Africa to be exact. I hear the Hausa came the northernmost part of the Sahel region. And we all know the Fulani homeland is in Senegal called Futa Jallo.
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by DapoBear(m): 4:44am On Nov 09, 2010
Beaf:

Money won't work. Itsekiri land produces the greatest amount of oil per square meter if I'm not mistaking. . . and the boys know what to do in times of "need."
Small as the Itsekiri's are, they too can kick arse in some pretty bad ways. They'll only smile when you offer help, every group in that state can take care of themselves to a large degree.

Whatever it is they lack, we can provide. Point is, we are there to support them. They won't get wiped out of Warri or the Delta under our watch.
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by aljharem(m): 4:45am On Nov 09, 2010
DapoBear:

Whatever it is they lack, we can provide. Point is, we are there to support them. They won't get wiped out of Warri or the Delta under our watch.
gbam

not only yorubas but northerners also angry angry
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by Beaf: 4:46am On Nov 09, 2010
chyz:

But its like they jumped over the Itsekiri into Ondo. Don't you think that maybe some of that land that Itsekiri have along the coast may have been taken away from the Ijaw and given to the Itsekiri or maybe the Ijaw sold them that land?

Our (Isoko and Urhobo) history says we were all given land by the Oporoza Ijaw, but the Itsekiri dispute it and have a claim to have been first there. Hence the issues in Warri.
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by DapoBear(m): 4:51am On Nov 09, 2010
EzeUche0:

Well most of the Eastern populations have been present in that region for thousands of years. Eastern Nigeria is the birthplace of the Bantu migration that spread into southern Africa to be exact. I hear the Hausa came the northernmost part of the Sahel region. And we all know the Fulani homeland is in Senegal called Futa Jallo.

I'm sure that all of this land has been inhabited for thousands of years. But who is to say that the people currently in Igboland for example are the ones who were originally there?

As an example, supposedly there was some pre-existing group of people in Yorubaland, who were then conquered by this Oduduwa guy and his homies (at least, this is the legend/story that they say.) If that is the case, do we start the clock when Oduduwa conquered them to form a new people, or start it earlier? This is why I'm saying that things are kind of ambiguous.

And my larger point is that it ultimately doesn't matter. If we've lived in a place for only 50 years, and are numerous enough, nobody is going to kick us out of it. Versus another group who has lived in a land for 1000s of years, but for some reason are dying out. Latter group will very likely lose their land.
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by Beaf: 4:53am On Nov 09, 2010
DapoBear:

Seriously, there is no help you can offer to any Delta state ethnicity. I know it sounds like a joke because we are minorities. But weapons? Money? Forget it.
And nobody will wipe out anybody in Warri, we are too intermarried and mixed. In fact, there is no state like ours, long before the novelty of a minority President of the country, we already had a minority governor in the person of an Itsekiri man who is likely to get a second term. Isoko people too are revving up to produce a governor, though I think it will be an Igbo after Uduaghan (Urhobo's and Igbo's dictate the states politics).
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by chyz(m): 4:55am On Nov 09, 2010
Beaf:

Our (Isoko and Urhobo) history says we were all given land by the Oporoza Ijaw, but the Itsekiri dispute it and have a claim to have been first there. Hence the issues in Warri.

I thought as much because it only makes sense. Any intelligent person would see the story that you just told as logical.The itsekiri being there first just does not add up.
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by Beaf: 4:56am On Nov 09, 2010
For those wondering where Ijaw people came from, they are Nigeria's ONLY indegenious population (its an easy anthropological fact to verify). Everybody met them where they are and they too have migration legends.
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by DapoBear(m): 4:57am On Nov 09, 2010
Beaf:

Seriously, there is no help you can offer to any Delta state ethnicity. I know it sounds like a joke because we are minorities. But weapons? Money? Forget it.
And nobody will wipe out anybody in Warri, we are too intermarried and mixed. In fact, there is no state like ours, long before the novelty of a minority President of the country, we already had a minority governor in the person of an Itsekiri man who is likely to get a second term. Isoko people too are revving up to produce a governor, though I think it will be an Igbo after Uduaghan (Urhobo's and Igbo's dictate the states politics).

Heh, fair enough. Looks like I misunderstood the situation a bit.
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by DapoBear(m): 4:58am On Nov 09, 2010
How does one verify this hypothesis, Beaf?
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by Beaf: 5:03am On Nov 09, 2010
^
You have 3 Delta state people on this thread. wink
I believe Chyz is from Delta state (we don't wanna lose him to Rivers grin).
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by chyz(m): 5:06am On Nov 09, 2010
Beaf:

^
You have 3 Delta state people on this thread. wink
I believe Chyz is from Delta state (we don't wanna lose him to Rivers grin).

Not a chance  grin
Re: South East And South South Can Go With The Oil, Sokoto And Lagos Will Survive by EzeUche0(m): 5:57pm On Nov 09, 2010
DapoBear:

I'm sure that all of this land has been inhabited for thousands of years. But who is to say that the people currently in Igboland for example are the ones who were originally there?

As an example, supposedly there was some pre-existing group of people in Yorubaland, who were then conquered by this Oduduwa guy and his homies (at least, this is the legend/story that they say.) If that is the case, do we start the clock when Oduduwa conquered them to form a new people, or start it earlier? This is why I'm saying that things are kind of ambiguous.

And my larger point is that it ultimately doesn't matter. If we've lived in a place for only 50 years, and are numerous enough, nobody is going to kick us out of it. Versus another group who has lived in a land for 1000s of years, but for some reason are dying out. Latter group will very likely lose their land.

Igbos have been present in the region for hundreds of years. The East is the Igbo birthplace. My own clan did not inhabit our present land, but won it in warfare with the Ibibios. This history is already known, so how you can tell someone like myself about my own history? We already know our history. The people currently in Igboland, has always been in Igboland. We did not displace anyone except for some Eastern Igbo groups. This is a fact.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Can’t Be President–Wayas / Why We Attacked Kano - Boko Haram / Buhari Enjoying Himself As President While Some Hating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.