Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,349 members, 7,957,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:35 AM

Career Advice Urgently Needed, Please! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Advice Urgently Needed, Please! (359 Views)

Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? / Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently / 5 Career Advice You Should Absolutely Ignore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Career Advice Urgently Needed, Please! by kendological(m): 11:10am On Oct 17, 2019
Good day to you dear Nairalanders, please I indulge your wise counsel on this matter, I appreciate any form of reasonable advise. I am law graduate of the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN), we are currently being denied admission into the Nigerian law school (NLS); by the council for legal education(CLE). My dream course of study as a younger person was either law or journalism. I graduated with a 2:2 class law degree (LLB Law). I want to further my education up to Master’s level, at least, although I wish to set up a personal business later in life when I am able to, as a paid job may not fulfill my most of my needs and long term aspirations .I am almost 30 years of age and single.
I have been working since graduating from secondary school, through university and now as a chamber administrator in a big law firm, I have mostly worked in clerical, administrative and hospitality roles; as an Office Assistant, Librarian, Salesman, Receptionist, Supervisor and Secretary at various times and establishments. However, I am not so happy with the fact that I cannot achieve my dream of practicing law yet, due to the standoff between the CLE and NOUN. I mostly supported myself through university education and I am willing to continue Open and Distance Learning anywhere, though NOUN is still my first choice.
NOUN had only one program for post graduate level legal studies i.e. Post Graduate Diploma in Legislative Drafting, but the candidate must have been called to the Nigerian bar. Noun has just introduced Master Degree Programme for Law, but is it with enrolling into without legal practice?
I am aware many lawyers don’t practice, but I still wish to be a certified legal practitioner and still pursue any other vocation I may chose.
I want to climb up the career and success ladder because I want to earn more, help my dependents, have financial security, and maybe start a family. I may have a big dream right? I have no other choice than that. I still do apply for jobs in government agencies, but I need your much needed counsel (dear seniors, professionals, human resource officers, business owners, academics etc.) to guide me right. My questions may be summarized as follows:
1. What other course should I study another course at the undergraduate or post graduate level, that will complement my law degree?
2. How wise is it for me to further my legal studies without practicing law?
3. What other professions requires law background/legal knowledge, other than as a barrister?
4. What other career paths or study do I choose over law?
5. What technical skill, training or business should I learn, if I decide to ditch formal education, for now?
Re: Career Advice Urgently Needed, Please! by dollext: 4:00pm On Oct 17, 2019
I would advice u get a part time job to study law as a full time programme in a Recognized institutions, in other for u to attend NLC. NOUN Graduates are being discriminated among other university graduates coz its design for the working class to upgrade deir status(My tot Though).

(1) (Reply)

Nominate Outstanding Individuals And Companies Deserving Of The CAHR Awards / I Finally Downloaded 2go In China / Eeg Technologist Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.