Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,417 members, 7,815,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks (37712 Views)

FG Mulls Single Salary Scale For Federal Civil Service MDAs / FG Mulls Mandatory Savings Scheme For Nigerians / FG Mulls Handover Of Power Distribution To Siemens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by surgical: 3:31am On Oct 18, 2019
saaron:
Fortunately this could be a blessing in disguise. For revolution to occur, there must be an atmosphere of hunger, suffering and misery to a level that cannot be tolerated. Thankfully the useless regime is doing a good job in that area.
Nigerians can tolerate anything,they will even justify why it's should be so

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by surgical: 3:43am On Oct 18, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

1.I lived under IBB's regime. Times were hard, very hard. Plus we had some roads constrcuted, but we also had serious economic crisis.

Plus, our populaiton wasn't as much as it is now, and we weren't importing as much as we do now.

2.Same for Obasanjo's regime. Plus....oil went up during OBJ's regime. It went from $17 in 1999 to $68 today.Plus, we were broke under Obasanjo. The economy was in a mess...especially before 2003...when they kept on telling us to wait that it took time to fix the damage the army had done (lol)!

3.Nigeria must become an induistrial nation...but seems you, APC and PDP cannot see that.

4.Our breakeven price for oil is $140. Oil is at $59. Short term, taxes must be raised. Long term, we have to remove our self from dependeing on oil.

Seems you cannot see my point. You think I am excusing government...when my point is....government has to take us off oil and diversify.

you are shameless liar or an ignorant,how can the country be broke and yet obj paid off the debts

2 Likes

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by EzekaUdenee: 3:49am On Oct 18, 2019
[s]
Commentor:

Those countries with half our resources that are doing so great, how do their governments generate revenue?
[/s]

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by EzekaUdenee: 3:49am On Oct 18, 2019
[s]
Commentor:

People would buy alternatives and that sector would grow.

Next level.
[/s]
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by rumenase(m): 3:50am On Oct 18, 2019
so because of new minimum wage dey want to increase everything PMB no go kill us o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by rumenase(m): 4:01am On Oct 18, 2019
PoliticalWitch:
For everyone crying 'the government is oppresive'...please let us be realistic.

Nigeria isn't and never was a rich country. We rely on oil revenues...and right now, oil is at 59 dollars per barrel. We need oil to be at $140 per barrel before we can have a budget that is good enough for all our needs.

So, either taxes go up, or we just keep on taking loans. Remember we are losing $80 per barrel, and we have had to take loans to keep afloat as oil has not been favouiring us since 2014 April.

Besides, many countries have a tax on sugary drinks.

It is sad that we have and have governments that have messed this country up, but unitl oil goes above $100 or more per barrel, taxation has to be the way to raise funds. Sorry guys...it is that...or we beg IMF for another loan.
what about all the money and properties EFCC has recovered ?

3 Likes

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Nobody: 5:21am On Oct 18, 2019
#next evil loading.....

If nigeria does not destroy the satanic/redundant coupist, he will destroy nigeria!

#govt of insatiable thieves!
By un-repentant thieves!
For irredeemable fooools!

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by goat22: 6:07am On Oct 18, 2019
allthingsgood:

why must u drink coke
Hello young man, if buttocks has maggot is it rotten?

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by faithfull18(f): 6:27am On Oct 18, 2019
Commentor:

People would buy alternatives and that sector would grow.

Next level.
Alternatives like?

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 18, 2019
Very soon ehn! Every drop of blood that pumps through our bodies will be taxed.

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by jimcaddy(m): 7:00am On Oct 18, 2019
Commentor:

Those countries with half our resources that are doing so great, how do their governments generate revenue?
is it by overtaxing its citizens? Our governments wants the easiest route to generate revenue. They cannot think outside the box. We have massive tourism potentials that have not been explored. We have a steel company that could have generated billions for Nigeria. Imagine Nigeria was producing and exporting steel products? They just cannot think in this country. Look at our overbloated budget. Over 70 percent of it is for recurrent expenditures mostly payment of salaries to docile government workers. Only a little on capital development. We have no plan as a government. We are looking for the easiest route and Nigerians as usual will suffer and keep smiling.. So sad.. Until a revolution takes place, Nigeria will not move forward.

2 Likes

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Niaja4real(m): 7:47am On Oct 18, 2019
Ecstasy154:
Zainab Ahmed, the minister of finance, says the federal government is considering introducing excise duty on carbonated drinks.

The minister made this known while addressing journalists on the sidelines of the ongoing annual meetings of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank Group.

Excise duty is a levy placed on the manufacture and sale of locally produced goods.

Information provided on the Nigeria Customs Service website shows that excise is currently placed on non-alcoholic beverages, fruit juices, beer, stout and alcoholic beverages.

According to Ahmed, the government is working on maximising existing revenue streams while trying to identify new revenue streams.

“Our objective is to be able to harness the existing revenue streams that we have by ensuring that enforcement is effective to expand the tax base and also to identify new revenue streams that we can add to expand the revenue base,” she said.

“So in expanding the revenue base, we have proposed the increase of VAT but there are also other revenue streams that we are looking at and some of them include the introduction of excise duties on carbonated drinks but there is a process to doing these things.

“Any tax that you are introducing will involve a lot of consultations and also amendments of some laws or introduction of new regulations.

“There are several cost-cutting measures also in the Strategic Revenue Growth Initiative (SRGI) and also a number of cost-cutting initiatives such as innovation and automation as well as capacity building of our people.”

The minister described it as an anomaly that Nigeria’s previous budgets have been funded largely with oil revenue.

“The budget of countries is supposed to be based on taxes that the country is able to generate. It is an anomaly for us in Nigeria that our budgets have not been focusing on revenue,” she said.

“We can only develop in a manner that is sustainable when we are using tax revenues to fund our national and sub-national budgets. It is an anomaly that we are depending largely on oil and gas revenue, which is a resource that is finite. It is going to go out of existence before you know it. So we have to develop the domestic tax base. The main focus will be on expanding the tax base ensuring enforcement of the existing laws and then blocking leakages.

“What we are trying to do in 2020 is to harness the full potential of revenue mobilisation. The only increase in taxes in 2020 budget is just VAT. Everything else is just maximizing the potentials of existing tax streams that we have and we hope that we will be able to do this to be able to move our tax to GDP ratio from the current seven to eight per cent of GDP to 15 per cent.”

Ahmed also expressed hopes that the finance bill will be passed along with the 2020 budget so that the government’s capacity to finance the budget is enhanced.

https://www.thecable.ng/fg-mulls-new-tax-coke-bigi-other-soft-drinks/

How about a tax on kpekus & kpekus activities
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by nan1: 7:50am On Oct 18, 2019
Very soon they will tax before you piss or shit grin grin me no kuku send as I no dey take soft drink kunu and zobo to the rescue

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 18, 2019
PoliticalWitch:
For everyone crying 'the government is oppresive'...please let us be realistic.

Nigeria isn't and never was a rich country. We rely on oil revenues...and right now, oil is at 59 dollars per barrel. We need oil to be at $140 per barrel before we can have a budget that is good enough for all our needs.

So, either taxes go up, or we just keep on taking loans. Remember we are losing $80 per barrel, and we have had to take loans to keep afloat as oil has not been favouiring us since 2014 April.

Besides, many countries have a tax on sugary drinks.

It is sad that we have and have governments that have messed this country up, but unitl oil goes above $100 or more per barrel, taxation has to be the way to raise funds. Sorry guys...it is that...or we beg IMF for another loan.
Where did you get $140 per barrel from again?
If that is the case, then we really can't blame any of our past govts since none has ever made 140 per barrel. But you're wrong. Nations don't develop just by spending money. They develop by making good laws and sticking by them. It's called planning bro. Let me give you an analogy. To be able to live comfortably in Nigeria, you shouldn't earn less than 300k a month. But I put it to you that there are people earning just a little above 100k who are married with kids, own cars and are building houses. How they do it is by smart choices and prudent financial management. Hope you can get the gist?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 18, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

1.I lived under IBB's regime. Times were hard, very hard. Plus we had some roads constrcuted, but we also had serious economic crisis.

Plus, our populaiton wasn't as much as it is now, and we weren't importing as much as we do now.

2.Same for Obasanjo's regime. Plus....oil went up during OBJ's regime. It went from $17 in 1999 to $68 today.Plus, we were broke under Obasanjo. The economy was in a mess...especially before 2003...when they kept on telling us to wait that it took time to fix the damage the army had done (lol)!

3.Nigeria must become an induistrial nation...but seems you, APC and PDP cannot see that.

4.Our breakeven price for oil is $140. Oil is at $59. Short term, taxes must be raised. Long term, we have to remove our self from dependeing on oil.

Seems you cannot see my point. You think I am excusing government...when my point is....government has to take us off oil and diversify.

That your point 1 is a lie. Under IBB, times were not hard. You can say he ran a correct m corrupt govt and made policies that later killed our industries, but things were far better. I remember then, we used to go to UAC foods every Saturday for shopping. We go to trans amusement park once a month to play. Our schl fee then was absolutely affordable. And they were good schools not the mushrooms littering everywhere now.
2. OBJ increased revenue, paid debts, increased minimum wages and generated employment while creating wealth. You definitely can't compare Nigeria he left behind with what we have now. The current middle class under threat was created under his govt.
4. You still haven't shown anyone how you arrived at $140 except just political propaganda
P.S: If Nigeria is to become industrialised, govt has to look at where we have comparative advantage and focus resources there not this present jamboree of rice for example

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by WriterX(m): 9:16am On Oct 18, 2019
saaron:
Fortunately this could be a blessing in disguise. For revolution to occur, there must be an atmosphere of hunger, suffering and misery to a level that cannot be tolerated. Thankfully the useless regime is doing a good job in that area.

wise words, a frog can be as comfortable in a pond of boiling water but not until it's skin starts to boil, it begins to look for a way out.

the revolution I dream of will come, we won't have to post about it online, we wont have to shout it, we won't have to make demands, we won't think much, one day we will wake up and begin that revolution.

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Habeyy(m): 9:36am On Oct 18, 2019
Where are those folks who still justify the incredible Mr Integrity and his musketeers
This is just madness unleashed

On this thread you won't see that "grilled" meat guy

I wonder how he sleeps at night

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Carlyscales: 9:55am On Oct 18, 2019
allthingsgood:

why must u drink coke

Relax the tax from this clueless Govt will soon reach u on ur bottle water n natural drinks. Even the credit and data u used to type this will soon be taxed. grin grin

u think the problem is Taxation abi? e go soon clear for your eye. The problem is multiple taxation and increasing taxes without retiring obsolete and counterproductive ones. Which is a function of clueless leaders that ain't productive n progressive in thinking. But fear that govt will loose money if tax laws are comprehensively overhauled.

As a local producer and manufacturer ( SMEs/MSMEs), there's tax laws in every state n many local governments to literally frustrate n cripple ur movt of goods for sales. Yet we claim to have a federal structure of Govt and wants the SMEs to drive govt's job creation n economy.How do u expect a producer in Gusau to know n pay special taxes in Ikire to be able to move or sell his Goods? So if u give them CBN n BOI loans n leave them at mercy of touts n hooligans on d road. They sometimes invest the loans in money market n pay back d 5% interest n makes lots of profit. hence no job is created.

The problem is a govt that pours taxes unfriendly on its masses n when themselves don't pay much in taxes. You didn't hear that state House workers payee was not remitted to firs

Look as long as these set of political leaders keep borrowing heavily from China. Taxes will definitely one day cripple Nigerian economy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Tyche(m): 9:59am On Oct 18, 2019
I do not expect a grown man living with the parents to think otherwise.
Every region of this country is facing the same hardship caused by this government incompetence.

But to demonize a people, irrespective of their political leaning, for hardship been shared by everyone is insensitive.

But, you don't expect cleanliness from a pig

NigeriaIsDoomed:
As if I am wrong, all over the North your lazy amajirin brothers and sisters are begging to survive. The most shocking is the scene of their elders with no disability begging for alms.
Now tell me who is going to be badly hurt by the proposed tax?
Personally, when they approach me for help I give them a stern look.
Should it get to the extreme, some of us in the South will move all our family members abroad so las las na una amajirin folks wey already dey vulnerable go die of hunger.
Una go get sense by force shebi una no want restructure the country. Na una type dey sell una votes collect 1 cup of rice and 500 Naira wey go last just oneday without thinking of the future, na una dey marry plenty wife without any handwork.
No worry sense go fall on una by the time Buhari tax una to death. grin
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Blessings4me(m): 10:21am On Oct 18, 2019
Water no get enemy... Water e no get enemy.
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by allthingsgood: 10:22am On Oct 18, 2019
Carlyscales:

Relax the tax from this clueless Govt will soon reach u on ur bottle water n natural drinks. Even the credit and data u used to type this will soon be taxed. grin grin

u think the problem is Taxation abi? e go soon clear for your eye. The problem is multiple taxation and increasing taxes without retiring obsolete and counterproductive ones. Which is a function of clueless leaders that ain't productive n progressive in thinking. But fear that govt will loose money if tax laws are comprehensively overhauled.

As a local producer and manufacturer ( SMEs/MSMEs), there's tax laws in every state n many local governments to literally frustrate n cripple ur movt of goods for sales. Yet we claim to have a federal structure of Govt and wants the SMEs to drive govt's job creation n economy.How do u expect a producer in Gusau to know n pay special taxes in Ikire to be able to move or sell his Goods? So if u give them CBN n BOI loans n leave them at mercy of touts n hooligans on d road. They sometimes invest the loans in money market n pay back d 5% interest n makes lots of profit. hence no job is created.

The problem is a govt that pours taxes unfriendly on its masses n when themselves don't pay much in taxes. You didn't hear that state House workers payee was not remitted to firs

Look as long as these set of political leaders keep borrowing heavily from China. Taxes will definitely one day cripple Nigerian economy

Confused lot. Smh
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by allthingsgood: 10:23am On Oct 18, 2019
goat22:

Hello young man, if buttocks has maggot is it rotten?

Your name says it all:Goat!
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by renewable1(m): 1:38pm On Oct 18, 2019
Ok

Get 8 hours electricity daily with our unique 1kva solar power system. Check my signature now
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Carlyscales: 2:00pm On Oct 18, 2019
allthingsgood:

Confused lot. Smh

grin grin grin

if you have something sensible to say, bring it on. That's how smart people relate. Insulting people for their divergent views, just reeks of diffident and abashment
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by MabraO: 3:13pm On Oct 18, 2019
Thank God I am not in Nigeria to witness all these
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by armadeo(m): 9:21pm On Oct 18, 2019
Officialgarri:
In my own opinion, I think the tax on alcohol, champagne and other luxury items should be increased instead of pondering whether to increase tax on beverages or not

Why? Because you don't buy them and consider it a waste?

Alcohol and champagne arent luxury.

So they should tax ogogoro?
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Uchek(m): 6:31pm On Oct 19, 2019
Next Level loading!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by GreyLaw(m): 10:44pm On Oct 19, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

That's why democracy involves the people holding their leaders to account...which you Nigerians don't want to do because most of you think democracy is something you do every four years and then go home.

If I had my way I would block your sorry moniker and banish it to the depths of darkness!

You go about different threads pontificating on how Nigeria's population is her problem. You make excuses for Nigeria's failed system and leadership. Something tells me you are either a politician or benefited/still benefiting from politics.
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Nobody: 2:11am On Oct 20, 2019
GreyLaw:

If I had my way I would block your sorry moniker and banish it to the depths of darkness!

You go about different threads pontificating on how Nigeria's population is her problem. You make excuses for Nigeria's failed system and leadership. Something tells me you are either a politician or benefited/still benefiting from politics.

Thank you and good morning.
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Nobody: 2:33am On Oct 20, 2019
GreyLaw:

I fail to see how demanding that people calling their leadership to account is excusing politicans.

If you cannot see that democracy is more than just voting, then sorry I cannot help you.

I don't believe I have defended or excused any political person. At any rate I have criticized them myself. Even when I say that Nigeria does not have enough money, it osy way of indicting the political class for doing nowt about it.

But at the end of the day YOU have the power to change things. That is the beauty of democracy. You are not a victim.

That is all. As I have said here several times, I don't support or believe in APC or PDP. I have never voted for them, nor will I ever vote for them. I also don't like people just claiming victim.

That is all.

P.S. On the topic., we are not a rich nation and in the short term, taxes have to be raised. If you don't like that, organise a big protest and stop taking your anger on me. I am not in government, nor do I wish to be

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Will Saraki Enjoy The Support Of Pdp Block In Senate Again?? / Nigerians Mock Robert Mugabe, Rochas Okorocha & "The Statue" On Twitter / Kabiru Tanimu Turaki Visits Obasanjo For Consultation Over 2018 Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.